• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix CEO teases 'surprise' new console JRPG, 'charged' for E3

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I wonder if "console" also means handhelds.
In any case i would be happy to see something tangible about SaGa 2015.

Indeed. "Console" usually includes handheld consoles when it's coming from a Japanese company. It just means that it's not a mobile title.

Ananaz

I'm going to go with FFXII HD, seeing as the original Gematsu article doesn't say anything about it being a completely new title nor does it really sound like it's going to be a major announcement.

Gematsu said:
Matsuda continued, “I think we’ll have a little surprise, too,” before clarifying he’s referring to “a JRPG for home game machine(s).”

Kyoufu

Indeed. "Console" usually includes handheld consoles when it's coming from a Japanese company. It just means that it's not a mobile title.

It was talked about in the PS4/Xbox One segment so no, it's not a handheld game.

I don't think he says it's a new title though. Maybe someone more proficient at Japanese (Duckroll?) can clarify.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

He specifically says "home use game machine". its a different term than what handhelds are called in japan.

Also he's very secretive about it, so its obviously something we don't know about. Can't wait. Seems like with Level 5, CC2 and others on the prowl, JRPG's have a chance of getting more mainstream spotlight

Some Nobody

Upcoming SE stuff:

FF14 expansions
FFXV
DQH
KH3
FF Dissidia
Saga
BD2
FF 12 HD ( has to happpen)
FF Type 1 (teased)
DQ11
New console jrpg

I like you SE.

Like is a bit much, but that is a lot of games. If they can actually release them all over the next three years, I'll be very impressed.

It was talked about in the PS4/Xbox One segment so no, it's not a handheld game.

I don't think he says it's a new title though. Maybe someone more proficient at Japanese (Duckroll?) can clarify.
Well the article in the OP even explicitly calls it "home game machine", so I was under the assumption that much was going to be obvious. I was merely answering his question if "console" could refer to more than just home consoles, which typically it does, whether it applies here or not.

I do suspect that it may not be an all-new title too though. Square is currently sitting on a few projects now that we know exist, but haven't been officially announced or have a name yet. It's possible he is referring to one of those.

Sinople

He specifically says "home use game machine". its a different term than what handhelds are called in japan.
It's the term used to include both consoles and handhelds.
据え置き型 is the term referring to consoles only.

Top Bottom