• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Gamescom 2012 Lineup - FFXIV 2.0 gameplay debut

StuBurns

Banned
What's weird is that I know several voice actors on Type 0, all of whom confirm they finished recording more than half a year ago. I have no idea what SE is doing.
If I had to guess, they're porting it to Vita or 3DS, expanding it, and will release a new version in Japan at the same time we get it.

What's weird is that I know several voice actors on Type 0, all of whom confirm they finished recording more than half a year ago. I have no idea what SE is doing.

When in doubt, blame incompetence! SE might have signed off on a localization of a game they never intended to release

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
If I had to guess, they're porting it to Vita or 3DS, expanding it, and will release a new version in Japan at the same time we get it.

VaderDoesNotWant.jpg

Release it on PSP. PSP2 can play PSP titles. Add extra content for a PSP2/3DS release six months later or whatever. May get Capcom's ire, but you get me buying a game instead of completely ignoring it after years of wanting it.

StuBurns

Banned
VaderDoesNotWant.jpg

Release it on PSP. PSP2 can play PSP titles. Add extra content for a PSP2/3DS release six months later or whatever. May get Capcom's ire, but you get me buying a game instead of completely ignoring it after years of wanting it.
PSP is dead, that'd be crazy.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I just hope some Type 0 Clarification is brought up at either the FF25th Anniversary event or at TGS.

I'll probably buy whatever Type 0 gets localized on. I love that game so much. Those who haven't played it really should. It's one of the best FF's I've played in a while. Well for me anyway.

Perhaps Square wants this game to have a big impact at one of those events and is super quiet about it.

I wouldn't worry about Bravely Default. That game looks so good it would be foolish to not bring it over, I suspect that game will pop up at TGS for sure. Especially since it releases in Japan on October 11th.

But I do look forward to the XIV information, I quite like the music a lot, and with any luck GILGAMESH will make a grand appearance in yet another title. Which would please me greatly.

Teknoman

If it were a better polished FFXI, I would have stayed and payed.

At this point I really don't see them doing anything special worth paying monthly for.

Hell if they just rebooted all the stats and everyone came back to start over to ffxi I would pay, but I don't see my continuing with ffxiv.

And I bought the special edition of ffxiv that allowed you to play two weeks early. I gave it a shot at first and thought it would become more like ffxi but nothing.

I missed my chance I think to try the new system out for free.

I'll look for some videos but my hopes for a better ffxi are slim.

I still hate Se for what they did to Front Mission.

You'll have to wait for awhile, and no you didnt miss it since I think 2.0 is supposed to offer everyone another free trial period. Either way, there are no videos out of actual 2.0 in motion...yet, but even the current 1.0 is miles away from what Tanaka started off with.

I just hope some Type 0 Clarification is brought up at either the FF25th Anniversary event or at TGS.

I'll probably buy whatever Type 0 gets localized on. I love that game so much. Those who haven't played it really should. It's one of the best FF's I've played in a while. Well for me anyway.

Perhaps Square wants this game to have a big impact at one of those events and is super quiet about it.

I wouldn't worry about Bravely Default. That game looks so good it would be foolish to not bring it over, I suspect that game will pop up at TGS for sure. Especially since it releases in Japan on October 11th.

But I do look forward to the XIV information, I quite like the music a lot, and with any luck GILGAMESH will make a grand appearance in yet another title. Which would please me greatly.

With Typhoon, Magitek Armor, and Omega Weapon making an appearance, I wouldnt be surprised. Yoshi says he wants it to encompass all that is Final Fantasy, and so far, they seem to be leaning towards the first 7.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Seeing the list of games they're showing, I sometimes, I really wonder how Square makes money going out of its way to not make games people want to play, such as Kingdom Hearts 3, Final Fantasy XIII Versus, Chrono Trigger 2, Final Fantasy VII HD remake, good Seiken Densetsu sequel, etc., not to mention being resistant to localizing certain games they're already made. I'd really love to hear the actual reasoning why they don't do this (meaning not just a PR line that they're not making them.)

StuBurns

Banned
None of those seem like secrets.

• Kingdom Hearts 3 is in development.
  • Final Fantasy Versus XIII is in development.
  • Chrono Trigger 2 was released in '99 as Chrono Cross to disappointing sales, (at least when compared to Final Fantasy at the time), they've discussed the potential for more in the series, if they saw the DS remake perform well enough.
  • FFVII they've discussed beyond PR lines a number of times, resources, staff availability, scope of project, cost etc.
  • It's only been six years since the last Mana game, which under performed.

Takuan

My dream Type-0 scenario:
- Vita release w/full engine upgrade to take advantage of stronger hardware
- new, Vita-exclusive content (dungeons, side-quests)
- packaged, LE release w/exclusive hardware & memory card

Likely scenario:
- Vita release w/upres'd assets
- $49.99 MSRP
- me, upset and in tatters

RE: FFXIV, if it looks cool and has the modern-ish PC UI as promised, I'm buying in. I can deal with server-side update lag if it's still in there. What we've seen of the game so far looks very promising on the surface.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
My dream Type-0 scenario:
- Vita release w/full engine upgrade to take advantage of stronger hardware
- new, Vita-exclusive content (dungeons, side-quests)
- packaged, LE release w/exclusive hardware & memory card

Likely scenario:
- Vita release w/upres'd assets
- $49.99 MSRP
- me, upset and in tatters

RE: FFXIV, if it looks cool and has the modern-ish PC UI as promised, I'm buying in. I can deal with server-side update lag if it's still in there. What we've seen of the game so far looks very promising on the surface.

They'll probably do something to improve Type-0 aside from just rendering it at a higher resolution. If they're going through the trouble of porting it, they probably want to be able to resell it in Japan too, and a straight port isn't going to be very appealing.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
VaderDoesNotWant.jpg

Completely disagree. I'd rather they release it on Vita.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
None of those seem like secrets.

• Kingdom Hearts 3 is in development.
  • Final Fantasy Versus XIII is in development.
  • Chrono Trigger 2 was released in '99 as Chrono Cross to disappointing sales, (at least when compared to Final Fantasy at the time), they've discussed the potential for more in the series, if they saw the DS remake perform well enough.
  • FFVII they've discussed beyond PR lines a number of times, resources, staff availability, scope of project, cost etc.
  • It's only been six years since the last Mana game, which under performed.
Except Kingdom Hearts 2 came out 7 years ago, XIII Vs. was announced around the same time, and Chrono Cross was only "disappointing sales" if compared directly to Trigger's wild success or FF7/8 and wasn't a sequel in the first place (Calling it "Chrono Trigger 2" is to the point of being inaccurate, imo). I'm not personally interested in playing a VII remake, but it seems like an obvious money spinner. This does seem fairly off topic to Gamescom, though, so perhaps I'll drop the speculation on those.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
He's not really far off from the truth really. People still consider SE a jRPG company mostly, so people want jRPGs on core consoles. They have been completely let down this gen by the lack of them.... We got more info on western games from Eidos, then we do from the types of games people want from SE....

Yup, if you look at the SE facebook page, you see a ton of people complaining whenever a new western game is announced, people demanding new FF news, localization of games like Bravely Default, etc.

It's only really on sites like NeoGAF where you have a big PC gamer component who actually remembers and has nostalgia for games like Hitman and Thief, where people are excited about the Eidos releases.

StuBurns

Banned
Except Kingdom Hearts 2 came out 7 years ago, XIII Vs. was announced around the same time, and Chrono Cross was only "disappointing sales" if compared directly to Trigger's wild success or FF7/8 and wasn't a sequel in the first place (Calling it "Chrono Trigger 2" is to the point of being inaccurate, imo). I'm not personally interested in playing a VII remake, but it seems like an obvious money spinner. This does seem fairly off topic to Gamescom, though, so perhaps I'll drop the speculation on those.
You said 'not make', not 'not release yet', they are making some of those games. It's not as if they're trying not make money and damage their fanbase. As for Cross' sales performance, it didn't even break two million, that's not even vaguely enough to justify a PS360 Chrono game.

Takuan

They'll probably do something to improve Type-0 aside from just rendering it at a higher resolution. If they're going through the trouble of porting it, they probably want to be able to resell it in Japan too, and a straight port isn't going to be very appealing.

Those are my feelings as well; why the delay if they aren't working on something substantial? At the same time, Square is prioritizing a number of other titles at the moment, so I don't know that the Type-0 team hasn't been gutted and assigned to other projects.

I'm optimistic of the game's chances of eventually coming to NA in Vita form, but I'm not entirely confident it won't end up being a rushed job.

Derrick01

Banned
Yup, if you look at the SE facebook page, you see a ton of people complaining whenever a new western game is announced, people demanding new FF news, localization of games like Bravely Default, etc.

It's only really on sites like NeoGAF where you have a big PC gamer component who actually remembers and has nostalgia for games like Hitman and Thief, where people are excited about the Eidos releases.

Their facebook page isn't a much better indication of how things are than we are. People are excited for their western lineup and want their games now. If their japan side is still incompetent that's their problem. People shouldn't blame Eidos for that.

t26

So at this point Nintendo is bring Dragon Quest to the west? Really want to see the new DQ games on 3DS.

Mario007

Those are my feelings as well; why the delay if they aren't working on something substantial? At the same time, Square is prioritizing a number of other titles at the moment, so I don't know that the Type-0 team hasn't been gutted and assigned to other projects.

I'm optimistic of the game's chances of eventually coming to NA in Vita form, but I'm not entirely confident it won't end up being a rushed job.

I think Type-0 coming west is a safe bet, since it's supposed to be the start of a spin-off series and Tabata has already discussed how he wants to make a direct sequel and how Square wants him to do a Type-1. It was pretty successful in Japan, with 700 000 sales to date so I'd say it's a safe bet there will be a sequel.

I'd say they are enhancing it and will give us an 'International Version' type of scenario on the Vita. Also if it is coming to Vita I'd imagine Sony wants to be the ones to announce it at their Gamescon conference or during the Vita Heaven (though the latter would still not give us a localisation announcement)

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
All I can say regarding Type-1 is that basic framework was initiated for it in November 2011(or so the Type 0 Ultimania states).

But who knows at this point really.

Riposte

So SE is caught between bitter JRPG fans and oblivious Japanese game haters. What a pleasant place to stand.

Silvawuff

No announcement about FFXIII-4? Shucks.

Interesting lineup! The FFVII PC with achievements sounds like it would be worth a playthrough.

Top Bottom