• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix gamescom 2014 lineup announced (DQ4 announced for West)

FFXIV at Gamescom is probably going to be the first instance of the new Ninja job being playable. If not there, then Tokyo Game Show. Both are pretty close to the next patch date assuming the job comes within the next two patches as expected.
Probably gamescom as its an MMO that's doing well in the west. Speaking of which, I know PC games arent the hottest shit in Japan (unless you are PSO2) but did FF14 ARR even do well in Japan?

studyguy

Probably gamescom as its an MMO that's doing well in the west. Speaking of which, I know PC games arent the hottest shit in Japan (unless you are PSO2) but did FF14 ARR even do well in Japan?

FFXIV has as many JP specific servers than NA/EU combined. It's no small potato out there.

Ridley327

So Nintendo is going to have to pull a Bravely Default for every game square makes if people want it localized?

I can't imagine who else would have the resources available for a 3DS game localization like this. I suspect they're probably not too hot on the sales potential of the game, either, even after the nice little JRPG renaissance they've helped foster on the system.

FFXIV has as many JP specific servers than NA/EU combined. It's no small potato out there.
Ah, okay. I only played the beta, I like MMOs but it didn't scratch that itch, may get it later.

I can't imagine who else would have the resources available for a 3DS game localization like this. I suspect they're probably not too hot on the sales potential of the game, either, even after the nice little JRPG renaissance they've helped foster on the system.

That's true, I know what you mean but, I wasn't aware on how deep Square is into mobile at this point that they won't localize their own games. Then again I guess why bother if you can get another company to do it for you as well.

TheTux

Is this true?

Not sure I'm probably confusing him with someone else.

But I'm 100% sure about XV at TGS, it would be too ridiculus for them if they didn't show it (yeah I know we're talking about Square Enix), especially after Hashimoto said "come to see what we have at Tokyo" or something like that.

Don't you dare break my dreams SE!

Edit.
Plus read this: http://sqex.info/shinji-hashimoto-interview-kh3-ffxv-skip-e3-2014/
Famitsu.com just posted an interview with Square Enix’s Shinji Hashimoto where he discusses their E3 2014 plans, most importantly, their decision not to feature Kingdom Hearts 3 or Final Fantasy XV heavily. He says that as far as promoting goes, they’d prefer to wait for events later on this year. I’ve translated the article, you can read it below.
Edit2:
Well I just noticed he never said "Later this year" but only "When the timing is right" lol -.-

FFXIV at Gamescom is probably going to be the first instance of the new Ninja job being playable. If not there, then Tokyo Game Show. Both are pretty close to the next patch date assuming the job comes within the next two patches as expected.

3746fd16ede4d432b57aa59d17f2180c677c3a98_1.jpg

That would do it. Have to buy the game now.

But I'm 100% sure about XV at TGS, it would be too ridiculus for them if they didn't show it (yeah I know we're talking about Square Enix), especially after Hashimoto said "come to see what we have at Tokyo" or something like that.

Edit.
Plus read this: http://sqex.info/shinji-hashimoto-interview-kh3-ffxv-skip-e3-2014/

Edit2:
Well I just noticed he never said "Later this year" but only "When the timing is right" lol -.-

They've been saying something to this effect for years now. Don't hold your breathe.

Edit.

Edit2:

I appreciate you digging so deep to answer my question. It's difficult to hold out much hope when SE speaks so vaguely and with no real promises. I still believe the game will show at TGS but their current silence and murky assurances are really starting to make me doubt even that.

TheTux

They've been saying something to this effect for years now. Don't hold your breathe.

I appreciate you digging so deep to answer my question. It's difficult to hold out much hope when SE speaks so vaguely and with no real promises. I still believe the game will show at TGS but their current silence and murky assurances are really starting to make me doubt even that.

Yeah I know. I'm lucky because I've been waiting for this game since just a few years but I know there are people who used to say "This is the year I'll finally see that fucking XV", for years.

I didn't really expect FFXV to skip E3 but I'm pretty sure we'll get a new trailer before the end of the year (which mean E3). It would be really really stupid for SQEX to release a new trailer, say "Expect more news soon" and then be silent for 2 years, AGAIN.

The next Square Enix title I will buy in NA will be either a console Dragon Quest or a console TWEWY2.

Will not buy any other Square Enix games until I buy one of those two games. Not sure if I need to count Eidos into this, but I'll do it.

DRAGON QUEST TM IV: Chapters of the Chosen
Platform: iOS/Android
Developer: Square Enix
Available: TBC
Get ready to journey through the lands, seas and skies of the vibrant DRAGON QUEST world with DRAGON QUEST IV: Chapters of the Chosen, an exciting new mobile version of the NES title DRAGON QUEST IV originally released in 1990 in Japan and recently updated for the Nintendo DS in 2008. The game includes five chapters to discover and a host of colourful characters to keep you company and battle by your side. Players can journey through the epic environments using all-new touch-screen controls.

Yes, please!

KiTA

DQ4... yay. But, DQ1 and DQ2 are already out in Japan too, and we know at least DQ1 has an English localization already done (it's mentioned in the credits of the Japanese APK) -- so why isn't it out?

That's cute. Some people were actually expecting FFXV to be on the list. I dunno if I want to pity you or laugh at you.

FFXIV - haven't got into it, so this "year of FFXIV" does nothing to excite me. Next.

Nosgoth - no thanks.

Lara Croft - the only game there I'm genuinely interested in.

KH 2.5 - never got into the games. Haven't even picked up 1.5.

Curtain Call - played the first Theatrhythm, but I've no real desire to play the sequel.

DQVIII - haha

DQIV - played it on DS. No interest playing it again on mobile.

If no Deus Ex or Triad Wars announcements, then it's yet another shit show for this company.

fates

Hate to be "that guy" but yeah DQ7 3DS probably isn't happening.

It's a HUGE translation undertaking for a series that generally experiences lackluster sales outside Japan.

I think it would do well given the JRPG love on the 3DS, but would it do well enough to make the effort be profitable?

Top Bottom