• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Q1 FY2014: Extraordinary loss, lists social/mobile/browser/MMO success

That $15/month MMO they're rebooting because it was so terrible should bring in massive profits at the ass end of 2013, which is a prime time for $15/month MMOs.

kswiston

Well after FF XIV RR bombs I wonder what they're going to do. FF XI numbers are not going to cut it and they won't be higher then that, LR sales are also going to do jack shit I'm expecting it to not sell over 1 million ww to customers. My guess is next year or so there going to downsize

I think it will be very difficult for Lighting Returns to miss 1M worldwide. Even with it's huge drop from the first game, XIII-2 sold ~900k to customers in Japan alone. I don't really think we will see a huge drop off from XIII-2. People know what they are in for. Shipments will be lower since FF13-2 had some channel stuffing going on, but there are over 1M fans who will eat up another FF13 sequel.

HeelPower

what's saddening is that ARR is a gamble and LR is a low tier spin off.

Its not looking very good for SE.

There must be so much pressure on FFXV now. Its quite possible that it must do extraordinarily well should ARR prove inadequate.

They'll totally make all of this back in the 6 months between release and F2P for FF XIV, right? I mean, throwing hundreds of millions of dollars and all of your best talent at a game that no one asked for couldn't possibly backfire.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Unless they announce games really soon set to fill up 2014, SE is extremely boned for the foreseeable future.

johnny956

If I'm reading the results correctly if they didn't have the huge "extraordinary loss" writeoff they wouldn't be in that bad of shape? Is that correct? Their pdf's are awful to understand compared to other companies

johnny956

So the extraordinary loss was actually a booking evaluation change? Meaning they think A) a game isn't going to sell what they were originally expecting B) Certain titles are no longer being developed C) ???

duckroll

Apparently sources indicate that the 1.6 billion yen loss is related to the cancellation of the following titles which were in production or pre-production:

Chrono Break
Star Ocean 5
Valkyrie Profile 3
Final Fantasy Tactics 2
New Secret of Mana
Final Fantasy Type-0 International

Don't hurt me Negator, I couldn't help it! >_<

Scum

Apparently sources indicate that the 1.6 billion yen loss is related to the cancellation of the following titles which were in production or pre-production:

Chrono Break
Star Ocean 5
Valkyrie Profile 3
Final Fantasy Tactics 2
New Secret of Mana

You're a horrible person and should stand in the corner for it.

Negator

Chrono Break
Star Ocean 5
Valkyrie Profile 3
Final Fantasy Tactics 2
New Secret of Mana

It's fine. Square-Enix is a company after all. Those games wouldn't have made any money.

HeelPower

I think it would be nice of them to release FFType-0 HD on PS3/360.

That could potentially sell more than LR and ,given the current situation, they probably need that money.

They lost a lot of money and have nothing to pick up the slack in terms of big titles.

An extraordinary loss is supposed to be outside your normal business and not repeat year to year. There are rules what you can call extraordinary and what not.

Savitar

Hey Square, make some titles people want again.

But to do that, you better change who does what in your company first.

SE needs to do some serious restructuring, and come to terms with the fact that people don't like their games as much as they used to.

MechaX

Chrono Break
Star Ocean 5
Valkyrie Profile 3
Final Fantasy Tactics 2
New Secret of Mana

tumblr_m3kmuje7tr1r9sq92o1_400.gif

Chrono Break
Star Ocean 5
Valkyrie Profile 3
Final Fantasy Tactics 2
New Secret of Mana

You know how many people want to hurt you after reading that lol.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I really don't understand how something can be discovered during review of projects that would qualify as "extraordinary loss" and that good be booked in a P/L statement.

It would require that an unexpected cost has in fact occurred. For example, a rogue project manager ordering goods worth of $150 million without authorisation, or stolen IP that resulted in an onetime payment for the infringement. Those would be actual, extraordinary losses outside the normal operations.

What this sounds like is a "write down of goodwill" which would then be booked at loss, but I don't think ongoing game projects should even enter a balance sheet?

Maybe the killed brands and wrote off their valuations?

Chrono Break
Star Ocean 5
Valkyrie Profile 3
Final Fantasy Tactics 2
New Secret of Mana

tumblr_m1f606CF4w1qb361y.gif

The amount of money you would have made....
(If by some miracle more than half of these turned out good)

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I read this as long term failure flop and short term mobile success.

While in a way I am sad that certain projects may have been canned and may never see the light of day, in a way I am quite pleased things are coming back to bite them in the ass for their mediocre and asinine attempts to keep themselves up and running.

Rely on your tentpole franchises forever and they will eventually stagnate, rot and decay and shall further cement your fall into obscurity. Square Enix believed they were all that but they have forgotten or left behind the all thatness that they used to be.

But fear not. iOS games and Tablets will save the day as mobile output exponentially increases so much to the point it appears console output will in turn exponentially decrease.

But this is why Monolithsoft exists. They make good RPG's whereas others simply no longer are able to. Granted Square gets lucky every now and then but the excessive otaku pandering will only get you so far.

At the very least I might get a shoddy SE and Tecmo Koei collab effort and finally get FF Musou.

Not sure what currency you're using, but its only 15 million in USD

Last quarter they had "Extraordinary losses" of over 134 million dollars. This quarter they've had yet another quarter of "Extraordinary losses" of over 16 million dollars. Hence over 150 million in two quarters.

Chrono Break
Star Ocean 5
Valkyrie Profile 3
Final Fantasy Tactics 2
New Secret of Mana

tumblr_lsd8xq7aSZ1r3e7r3o1_r1_400.gif

NO! NO! BAD DUCKY! BAAAAAAAAAAD! APOLOGIZE FOR WHAT YOU HAVE DONE!

RM8

Well, SE, you clearly didn't want to receive my money in exchange for Terry's Wonderland. Now you know better!

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

Chrono Break
Star Ocean 5
Valkyrie Profile 3
Final Fantasy Tactics 2
New Secret of Mana

You forgot to put in Dragon Quest 7 3DS localization on the list.

Chrono Break
Star Ocean 5
Valkyrie Profile 3
Final Fantasy Tactics 2
New Secret of Mana

Ducky, this would be a better troll if it didn't include Star Ocean and Seiken Densetsu. Nobody wants those franchises anymore, they've turned to crap, lol.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

Chrono Break
Star Ocean 5
Valkyrie Profile 3
Final Fantasy Tactics 2
New Secret of Mana

Don't worry, they will come back as social/Mobile games eventually.

Einhander

why can't we get an actual six remake. why is four remade all the time. nobody likes four. they thought they did, but they really actually liked six.

i know this runs contrary to my moaning about s-e only making final fantasy games, but how many times did they stop and start again? they've done 1-4 so god damn much. at least with dragon quest, they give a good decade between the initial game and the remake.

I hope we do. FFV & FFVI 3D remakes on 3DS would be nice. I agree that Square-Enix obsess over FFIV a whole lot.

Chrono Break
Star Ocean 5
Valkyrie Profile 3
Final Fantasy Tactics 2
New Secret of Mana

I bought the import of Final Fantasy Type-0 and I'm patiently waiting for the fan translation to complete, so no worries there.

Chrono Break
Star Ocean 5
Valkyrie Profile 3
Final Fantasy Tactics 2
New Secret of Mana

NHL-11-Pt-2.gif

What's the difference between a loss and an extraordinary loss?
A lot of canned projects

i predict that FF Lightning Returns and 14 are going to bomb so hard that they will have to cancel 15 and KH 3 or delay for another 5 years.

Square needs to stop going on adventures. No fucking hel FFXIV ever turns a profit. You had DQX... why do you need a second MMORPG?

Square needs to focus on only four platforms: 3DS (bulk), PS3, Wii U (ports), mobile. Make Final Fantasy exclusive again and stop pimping it out. Microsoft can get ports of your western games. No more grand adventures.

Top Bottom