• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix seemingly teasing new Nier x Mana x SaGa x Million Arthur mobile game

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Teaser Site: http://www.jp.square-enix.com/bob/jp/

Gematsu said:
Square Enix has launched a countdown teaser website for a new iOS and Android project that ends on September 20.

The website features weapons and related quotes from various different Square Enix titles, including Kai-Ri-Sei Million Arthur, Legend of Mana, NieR: Automata, Romancing SaGa, Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song, and Seiken Densetsu 2.
Source: http://gematsu.com/2017/09/square-e...tdown-website-features-weapons-various-titles

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Does anyone have a tally of how many different gacha games Square Enix currently has, active or in development?

Shit's insane.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Does anyone have a tally of how many different gacha games Square Enix currently has, active or in development?

Shit's insane.
Well, I mean, I would too with results like this:

squareenixmobilerev1ouuei.png

That was $751 million in mobile revenue last year, and it goes up every year, unlike traditional games, which are more up and down for them.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.

That was $751 million in mobile revenue last year, and it goes up every year.

Damn if square isn't killing it the last few years.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

That was $751 million in mobile revenue last year, and it goes up every year, unlike traditional games, which are more boom and bust for them.

You can't argue with those numbers. It's just curious that they're not coming from two or three games, but instead from dozens of them.

It's a very different proposition than that of Cygames', for example, that also has huge revenue, but from a handful of projects.

FiveSide

Banned
This is one of those "Tatsunoko v. Capcom" scenarios where I love like half the franchises and have no familiarity at all with the other half.

I'll keep tabs on it though.

tuxfool

Banned
You can't argue with those numbers. It's just curious that they're not coming from two or three games, but instead from dozens of them.

It's a very different proposition than that of Cygames', for example, that also has huge revenue, but from a handful of projects.

Games are so cheap to develop, they can throw shit at the wall and see what sticks.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

That was $751 million in mobile revenue last year, and it goes up every year, unlike traditional games, which are more up and down for them.

HD games? No 3DS included, then?

Hektor

They havent even localised SinoAlice yet, i hope the Nier content is of a more asthetic nature, don't want to miss out on that too

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

They actually don't have dozens anymore really.

Like in total this year, they've released:
- Dissidia
- Bravely Default
- SINoALICE
- King's Knight
- Flame x Blaze
- Schoolgirl Strikers Rhythm Game
- Dia Horizon

Still to come, they have
- Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition
- Final Fantasy Explorers
- Dragon Quest Rivals
- An anime tie-in
- Maybe this, but it's not clear it's out this year

And then they licensed FFXV to MachineZone.

I do agree this is more than a lot of publishers though, but that's also true of their retail output relative to their size. EA releases less retail games a year than Square Enix does.

J-Tier

They don't seem to care about their western properties, i.e. Crystal Dynamics IPs and Deus Ex. And Hitman is now indie.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
HD games? No 3DS included, then?

"HD Games" counts any non-MMO games for consoles or handhelds, as well as all traditional paid PC products. I think it also counts Western f2p PC games, but not browser games like Yahoo Japan titles.

It's kind of an odd label, but basically they're trying to indicate the biggest revenue driver there.

duckroll

Ten weapons. Four from Million Arthur. Two from Romancing SaGa. One from Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song. One from Secret of Mana. One from Legend of Mana. One from Nier Automata. Zero fucks given.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They don't seem to care about their western properties, i.e. Crystal Dynamics IPs and Deus Ex. And Hitman is now indie.

They actually have three Western mobile studios now all under Square Enix Montreal's management, but they haven't put out any games in a while.

Square Enix Montreal seems to have at least three games though, and I'm guessing the other two studios have at least one.

I do think there's some missed opportunities for crossovers between the two though, yes. That said, the Western AAA studios all seem to be on Marvel these days sans Tomb Raider, so crossing over with that costs money.

Edit: I should mention they just released a Just Cause update to Hitman Sniper though, which they still seem to have control over.

Top Bottom