• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix trademarks Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy Adventure, Mystic Quest in Europe & Slash Field in the US

Shin

Banned
FinalFantasy15DLC781030_thumb-1.jpg
maxresdefault_thumb-1.jpg

20190206_031151_thumb.jpg

Square Enix recently filed a few Mana series-related trademarks in Europe with “Secret of Mana,” “Final Fantasy Adventure,” and “Mystic Quest.”
The first game of the Mana series was titled Seiken Densetsu: Final Fantasy Gaiden in Japan where it released in June 1991 for Game Boy.
It released in North America as Final Fantasy Adventure in November 1991 and later in 1993 as Mystic Quest in Europe. It also released as part of the Seiken Densetsu Collection for Switch in Japan in June 2017.

While Square Enix filed a few Mana series-related trademarks in Europe, the company also registered one for an unknown title with “Slash Fieldin the United States.
This isn’t the first time the name “Slash Field” makes an appearance, as it was actually trademarked in Japan last November.

Credit: Siliconera [Slash Field], Secret of Mana, FFA, Mystic Quest

Mr Hyde

Localization of Seiken Densetsu Collection to Switch would be nice. I don´t get why SE is being so stingy about it for western markets.

Pejo

Localization of Seiken Densetsu Collection to Switch would be nice. I don´t get why SE is being so stingy about it for western markets.
I know better than to get excited about this news, but yea a localization would be the best thing I could hope for.

93xfan

Banned
I’d love all of those games, but what I need is

Illusion of Gaia (aka Illusion of Time)

Last edited:

PSFan

This is confusing. I thought Mystic Quest would be the game that was on SNES. And Secret of Mana was just re-released not too long ago, why would they need to trademark it again already?

Shin

Banned
DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi man that cover looks beautiful and for some reason I'm feeling like Primrose from Octopath would be a great cameo/addition to the setting.
Love these classic colorful games, brightens up my day :)

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
This also comes on the heels of both SEGA and Square-Enix reporting poor financial quarters due to the sharp decline in mobile income. Perhaps that's worthy of a thread in itself, but I hope that Square starts reviving these franchises on consoles where the fans originated and perhaps they'll see a spike in revenue.

Vawn

Banned
Isn't this just normal practice of renewing trademark titles? Publishers review trademarks all the time without any current plans to use them.

Link1110

Doubt it's a localization of the collection cause there's nothing in there that would indicate a name for SD3, unless they just cut that out of the collection...

Pallas

Gold Member
Mystic Quest is an interesting one, really odd title to remake if that’s the case. Considering the entire reason it was even made(still enjoyed it nonetheless)

Shin

Banned
An update on this as SE seem to have filed a trademark in Japan as well among other things.
It's up in the air on what's going on but for more take on this all you can read the article: https://gematsu.com/2019/02/square-...rn-mana-series-trademarks#Xf7XUZy4KbRujqLO.99
Square Enix has trademarked “Collection of Mana” in Japan.
The company also recently filed trademarks for “Final Fantasy Adventure” in the United States, Canada, and Europe; “Mystic Quest” in the United States, Canada, and Europe; and “Secret of Mana” in the United States and Canada.

That being said, while the “Collection of Mana” trademark sounds like it could be the western title for the Seiken Densetsu Collection, the oddity would be that that the trademark for the collection name itself comes from Japan and not Square Enix’s western branches.

Update 02/22/19 at 10:50 p.m.: Square Enix has trademarkedSecret of Mana” in Japan.

Top Bottom