• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix will "aggressively pursue a multiplatform strategy that includes Nintendo platforms, PlayStation, Xbox, and PCs"

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
cod
final fantasies

nintendo finally gettin bigs third parties support??

chris-farley-shades.gif

I hope they find success with this strategy. I still can’t understand why Rebirth underperformed. Loved that game so much. On the other hand I finished it but was not a big fan of XVI, perhaps I am just getting to old for newer FF games…

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I really think people want to push the narrative that FF failed on PS5 and it should be on PC (and maybe Xbox) also and always. 🤷

Like sure it should be on PC but why are people pushing a narrative that FF utterly failed. It reeks of fanboy narrative.

People are acting like SquareEnix was fully exclusive to Sony. Most of their support was for Sony, but they still supported Switch and on occasion, XBox(FF14 Online). I don’t think SE will be in a much better place even with an aggressive multiplatform strategy. Xbox gamers don’t buy games, Switch isn’t powerful enough to run most SE games unless they make a Switch exclusive version or something, so this leaves PC/Steam. They’ll probably procure decent sales on PC, but I don’t know what will happen with Nintendo unless the power in Switch 2 is closer to PlayStation.

Last edited:

simpatico

Yeah, try again. XVI sold more in 3 days on a single platform than both RE4 Remake and Street Fighter 6 sold in multiple weeks on 3 platforms.

But yeah, keep pretending it's because no one bought the game. It's funny how when Square-Enix had unrealistic sales expectations for Tomb Raider remake, everyone criticized them for that, but nowadays if they had unrealistic sales expectations for XVI or Rebirth that's Sony's fault?
Listen, I know realizing that you guys let down Hironbu Sakaguchi, Nobuo Uematsu, Tetsuya Nomura, Yuji Horii, Masato Kato and Hiroyuki Ito is a lot to take in. I get it. I'm not even saying that I'd be instantly able to swallow that guilt. I'd be bargaining too. But listen, these guys needed you. You say their expectations were too high, but man they're just telling you what they need. I mean why even buy a PS5 if not to purchase a Final Fantasy VII Remake? These guys crafted childhoods man, like fucking angelic artists, and you're hung up on how many copies they need to sell of their art to break even and not have to sleep in the gutter?!

Folks cheering for this are failing to acknowledge that making the game run on a Switch as a PS5 means said game is gonna be gimped beyond belief.

If ya'll balked at the pervasiveness of cross-gen games at this gen's commencement, then you should be raging about this.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Agree with the speculation that part of the reason is perhaps Sony has pulled out after the various bombs with the exclusives

Babylon’s Fall - discontinued shortly after release
Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth - they refuses to reveal the numbers
Forspoken - bombed so hard that it killed the developer studio
Foamstars - average reviews that nobody care
Final Fantasy 16 - failed to meet expectation

Gambit2483

Folks cheering for this are failing to acknowledge that making the game run on a Switch as a PS5 means said game is gonna be gimped beyond belief.

If ya'll balked at the pervasiveness of cross-gen games at this gen's commencement, then you should be raging about this.
We still don't know how powerful Switch 2 will be. If it's at least as powerful or more powerful than Steamdeck then I wouldn't worry about porting games to Switch, especially if it also utilizes VRR and DLSS.

Some Developers can be extremely resourceful with optimizing for less powerful hardware, which has been proven time again on Switch.

People are acting like SquareEnix was fully exclusive to Sony. Most of their support was for Sony, but they still supported Switch and on occasion, XBox(FF14 Online). I don’t think SE will be in a much better place even with an aggressive multiplatform strategy. Xbox gamers don’t buy games, Switch isn’t powerful enough to run most SE games unless they make a Switch exclusive version or something, so this leaves PC/Steam. They’ll probably procure decent sales on PC, but I don’t know what will happen with Nintendo unless the power in Switch 2 is closer to PlayStation.
SE games on Switch have done just fine over the generation, and Switch 2 doesn't have to be anywhere near Playstation/Xbox levels of power to be successful for SE or anyone else for that matter.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Why are people creating the narrative FFXVI didn’t meet expectations? Didn’t SE themselves say it did? Or are we just reaching?
People are determined to talk that game down ever since it was first announced as exclusive at launch. Now people are saying it looked like an Atari game and bankrupted square

@gkTH

SQEN: We'll aggressively pursue multi-platform releases including Xbox.
Xbox: We'll aggressively pursue plan to release our first party games on Playstation.
:messenger_blowing_kiss: :messenger_blowing_kiss:

Last edited:

Reallink

We still don't know how powerful Switch 2 will be. If it's at least as powerful or more powerful than Steamdeck then I wouldn't worry about porting games to Switch, especially if it also utilizes VRR and DLSS.

Some Developers can be extremely resourceful with optimizing for less powerful hardware, which has been proven time again on Switch.

We know, 1536 dual issue ("fake teraflop") cores on Samsung 8nm with relatively low memory bandwidth means docked mode raster performance will be a little better than a base PS4 and significantly worse than PS4 Pro. A little better than Steamdeck, but a long way from blowing it out of the water. Mobile chips are too small and limited for DLSS to do much.

SE games on Switch have done just fine over the generation, and Switch 2 doesn't have to be anywhere near Playstation/Xbox levels of power to be successful for SE or anyone else for that matter.
Exclusive Switch games have performed fine, but I mean if they want to port something like Final Fantasy 16 or FF7: Rebirth later. They will probably have to make huge sacrifices to get it to run and look decent on Switch and maybe even the Switch 2.

Essentially asking, would SE develop two separate versions of a game at the same time or just keep porting exclusive SE games over to Switch that are actually developed with Nintendo hardware in mind?

Exclusive Switch games have performed fine, but I mean if they want to port something like Final Fantasy 16 or FF7: Rebirth later. They will probably have to make huge sacrifices to get it to run and look decent on Switch and maybe even the Switch 2.

Essentially asking, would SE develop two separate versions of a game at the same time or just keep porting exclusive SE games over to Switch that are actually developed with Nintendo hardware in mind?
Switch 2 is likely to be ~ PS4 levels of power and that's fine (if devs know what they're doing) and it would be easy enough for them to make the FFVII R trilogy on Switch 2 if those specs are correct. I think that level of graphics will be perfectly fine to get most third party games on Switch 2 and make the Japanese and US/EU handheld fan bases happy.

As far as developing for multiple systems, aka Switch 2 and PS5, just let the system that has the biggest base dictate their choice and just adjust to the others.

ProtoByte

"Xbox is going third party"

GAMING is going third party and thank God. If you're actually still hoping for the anti-consumer practice of exclusivity, you have been brainwashed by the makers of a plastic box or the other plastic box.

We should want a type of nuclear disarmament here. One by one back and forth each side gives up and exclusive (or all at once!) until everything is everywhere and we can made decisions about hardware based on the HARDWARE rather than some forced scarcity equation based on exclusive games.
Exclusivity is not anti consumer.

ArtHands

BREAKING PlayStation owners KILL Final Fantasy by not appreciating it’s exclusivity and buying it

Really crazy when you think about it. FF7 Remake sold 7 millions since release in April 2020, while Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak, an expanded release of a mere spinoff game, sold 8 millions since release in June 2022.

hinch7

Good news. Releasing on multiple platforms means more people can enjoy games like FF's without being restricted onto a certain platform. In this case the mainline FF's on PlayStation, even if timed. And smaller AA games funded by Nintendo. Only downside is that it could prolong some development cycles, but I'll take it if there are day one releases on PC.

Got to be a hit for Sony though.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Good news. Releasing on multiple platforms means more people can enjoy games like FF's without being restricted onto a certain platform. In this case the mainline FF's on PlayStation. And smaller AA games funded by Nintendo. Only downside is that it could prolong some development cycles, but I'll take it if there are day one releases on PC.

Got to be a hit for Sony though.

Not really, publishers moving to a more multi-platform approach is pretty normal mid to late gen as the money for exclusivity tends to dry up.
Also, how long this pivot lasts isn't a sure thing. They can try and bolster profits short term by porting back-catalogue titles, but they may reconsider in the mid to long when they see how badly building multiple sku's of their next major release concurrently impacts scheduling.

AREYOUOKAY?

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Square just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase SquareEnix games for any of the systems,. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and cancel the Multiplatform strategy for Nintendo, Xbox and PCs or you can kiss your business goodbye.
I can't believe it took until post 290 for this. It's not good enough, GAF

FewRope

People here thinking SE is actually considering Xbox as a platform to succeed in sales are actually delusional. They are going balls deep on Switch 2/PC releases day 1, they need to put everything on Steam to make real money imho. The JRPG players are now playing mainly on Switch and PC, they left PlayStation a long time ago and for good reason

Last edited:

Fabieter

Aggressively remake games that never got released outside of Japan or elsewhere the same way you did Trials of Mana.

They want to make money, not releasing the next few games a few people like myself ask for and no one else is buying them.

This change will kill most small games from sqaure tho and there is no going back.

Agree with the speculation that part of the reason is perhaps Sony has pulled out after the various bombs with the exclusives

Babylon’s Fall - discontinued shortly after release
Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth - they refuses to reveal the numbers
Forspoken - bombed so hard that it killed the developer studio
Foamstars - average reviews that nobody care
Final Fantasy 16 - failed to meet expectation

Three of those games are terrible or not even actual games, like Babylon's Fall. What has Sony have to do with that? Ask Shift Up's CEO if he's happy about exclusivity.

ArtHands

Three of those games are terrible or not even actual games, like Babylon's Fall. What has Sony have to do with that? Ask Shift Up's CEO if he's happy about exclusivity.

I didn’t say Sony has anything to do with their qualities though? Only saying the qualities of some titles may have contributed to the possibility of the termination of their partnership

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT

Switch 2 is supposed to provide visuals better than base PS4, with a much better CPU, significantly better VRAM and modern I/O.
That’s good enough as a low end baseline.

People here thinking SE is actually considering Xbox as a platform to succeed in sales are actually delusional. They are going balls deep on Switch 2/PC releases day 1, they need to put everything on Steam to make real money imho. The JRPG players are now playing mainly on Switch and PC, they left PlayStation a long time ago and for good reason

As long as the game sells enough to justify the port, it makes it worth it.

Sorry to break it to all 2 Xbox only fans that buy jrpg games. But they aren’t wasting resources bringing their games to Xbox. Multiplatform means PC and Nintendo.

Sorry to break it to you, but they specifically mention Xbox in their plans for an ‘aggressive’ multiplatform push.

Fabieter

Switch 2 is supposed to provide visuals better than base PS4, with a much better CPU, significantly better VRAM and modern I/O.

I have a hard time believing the switch 2 won't outsell the ps5 tho. Pc and switch is the way to go going forward.

At this rate if if no third party wanna do an exclusive game that the company paid for sony would have 2 choices either pay for exclusive content or simply buy them out.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

So, lower budgets, shorter dev times and pressure to have the game actually offer something interesting that isn't graphics? I'm in.

Last edited:

Switch 2 hasn't even been announced, much less released. It won't even have a meaningful installed base for another 2 to 3 years.

If he's making these comments about an aggressive multiplatform strategy today, he's considering Switch 1.

PS5 consumers didn't buy enough copies. They have to try and target more systems.

And? If that means games get held back by inferior hardware, am I supposed to be happy about that?

So, lower budgets, shorter dev times and pressure to have the game actually offer something interesting that isn't graphics? I'm in.

If Switch is being added as an additional platform, game budgets don't decrease, they increase. And the difference between the PS5 and Switch CPUs, together with mass storage speed, RAM amount and I/O is so vast that it far more than just graphics that will be compromised to be able to support Switch alongside the PS5/XSX.

This is just not an intelligent reply.

Nothing is held back. It wouldn't exist due to lack of proper funding unless they target more players. You're comparing a game that is canceled vs. a game on Switch 2 as the low end graphics setting.
This is delusional.

A game made for Switch and PS5 is held back compared to if the same game was made for only PS5. To claim otherwise is just daft.

Not having your game day one on PC, hurts PC sales. No way around that. The exclusive money isn't worth missing out on that many day one full price purchases. You make PC players wait a year or more and they'll just wait even longer at that point until they see it on sale or deep discount.
It's more complex than that. People are just waiting for the better Steam version nowadays. This is what I think happened to FF7 rebirth. People know they are going to play a better, cheaper and more cusotmizeable version on their PC. Why bother with the $70 / 80€ playstation tax now?

For years now (since jimbo took charge) Playstation has been showing customers there will eventually be a better and cheaper version of their "exclusive" games on Steam. Well people are learning.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Banned
I mean... their games were mostly multiplatform to begin with. People are reading to deeply into this. If these companies offer them big bucks and support for platform exclusivity they aren't going to say no.

Last edited:
Top Bottom