• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix will reveal a new console RPG that isn’t a remake in December

I would love to see Square Enix doing a western RPG Game. Something like Souls or Dragons Dogma for the western audience (but which would also be succesfull in Japan)

They could even work together on this with their western studios.

Do it Square Enix.

Reveirg

This better be good! Those who know me know I'm almost always on S-E's defense squad around here, but there's no denying that their non-FF HD console output has been really disappointing these past 2-3 years.

SykoTech

Final Fantasy XV is actually getting through development, KHIII actually got announced, and now this. Feels nice seeing SE finally getting it together.

Well, I guess I should wait until the games release before saying that. But it's a good sign.

Squire

Banned
People are just making a lot of assumptions with regards to Toriyama's workload.

"(X) game just released and he contributed to (Y) game! There's no way there's another!"

When will you guys learn this is not how game production and development works?

It might be HEAVENSTRIKE RIVALS judging from past trademark filings.

It's not MEVIUS FINAL FANTASY since that obviously is part of the FF IP, so it might be HEAVENSTRIKE RIVALS.

Yeah, I was thinking earlier a good guess would be there last trademark filing that has yet to materialize.

daniels

attachment.php

would be really cool :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVX0OUO9ptU

Famassu

People are just making a lot of assumptions with regards to Toriyama's workload.

"(X) game just released and he contributed to (Y) game! There's no way there's another!"

When will you guys learn this is not how game production and development works?
When Toriyama himself says that he hasn't done much else but this trilogy for the past several years, which isn't hard to believe considering the size of the games vs. extremely tight development schedules (even with re-use of assets), and how he was going to take a break after Lightning Returns was released in NA & PAL regions earlier this year and how he would only then figure out what to do next, it's really not so far fetched to assume that his game is, at most, around 6-7 months into planning and early development.

Fjordson

Still mad at SE for killing Final Fantasy with the XIII trilogy, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested in seeing what this is.

Famassu

Still mad at SE for killing Final Fantasy with the XIII trilogy, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested in seeing what this is.
Lollero, they didn't kill FF with the FFXIII trilogy, stop being so overly dramatic. FFXIV 2.0 is a much-liked MMO that has been extremely successful at a time when subscription based MMOs are dying (outside of EVE and WoW) and FFXV seems to shaping up extremely well (if you're not too butthurt about it being an action RPG).

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I cautiously await the reveal.

It would be genuinely refreshing to see a SRPG or a turn based JRPG come out of them on PS4; but I'm definitely not holding my breath for that.

Famassu

They firstly should put out the two main ones they have announced
Unless you want an overly long waits between games, there's absolutely no sense in doing so. Throwing thousands of people to push out a single game in a shorter time span does not necessarily lead to good/the best results (just look at Ubisoft how dumb that is) and there's absolutely no point in continuing their FFXIV like development method where they put everyone and their mothers to develop one and only game at the expense of everything else. Tabata even said that he doesn't want a huge 1000+ people team working on FFXV and would rather keep the team relatively small (only 200 to 300 staff) to produce the best results. XIV ARR & Lightning trilogy's completion likely freed up enough workforce to start going ahead full speed with another 2-3 console game's development (and maybe start the pre-development of 1-2 more games with a small team with only some key members).

Fjordson

Lollero, they didn't kill FF with the FFXIII trilogy, stop being so overly dramatic. FFXIV 2.0 is a much-liked MMO that has been extremely successful at a time when subscription based MMOs are dying (outside of EVE and WoW) and FFXV seems to shaping up extremely well (if you're not too butthurt about it being an action RPG).
If they didn't kill it, they beat it to within an inch of its life. Seeing one of my favourite franchises in any entertainment medium experience such a massive fall permanently dampened my belief in SE as a company.

But fair point about XIV, I enjoyed what I played. I guess I consider the MMO's separate from the single-player games (maybe somewhat unfair).

As for XV, I'm on blackout. Hoping for the best, but will remain skeptical until I've actually played it.

Edit: this does mean SE developed and not just published I hope? I should probably read the rest of the thread.

Mr. RPG

Way too soon for Dragon Quest XI.

Worst case scenario, it is a Final Fantasy console game... also being released for mobile.

Square-Enix sucks.

Famassu

If they didn't kill it, they beat it to within an inch of its life. Seeing one of my favourite franchises in any entertainment medium experience such a massive fall permanently dampened my belief in SE as a company.

But fair point about XIV, I enjoyed what I played. I guess I consider the MMO's separate from the single-player games (maybe somewhat unfair).

As for XV, I'm on blackout. Hoping for the best, but will remain skeptical until I've actually played it.

Edit: this does mean SE developed and not just published I hope? I should probably read the rest of the thread.
Meh, while Toriyama is a bad storyteller and they ended up rushing out XIII-2 & LR, there were plenty of things to like in each and every one of the Lightning trilogy games (especially in the combat side of things) that prove that they haven't completely lost it. FFXV just needs to avoid time travel, Jesus Lightning and other silly stuff from the Lightning trilogy and offer more room for exploration. They seem to be well on their way to offer what could be one of the biggest worlds in gaming, so exploration shouldn't feel too limited, and they are trying to keep the story relatively simple (it's about warring nations fighting over the last crystal in the world, not demi-gods wanting to sacrifice humanity or the protector of a little girl having to see her death time and time again which drives him mad with grief or Jesus-ing everyone to heaven).

So... yeah, while the generation was a bit of a fail in terms of console offline FF, it was just one director's doings and somewhat of a result of PS3 being such a horrible platform to develop for, not something that is a showcase of the absolute best that they can put out. So it's a bit early to say that FF could never return to form, especially given how promising FFXV looks & sounds.

And no, I don't think they specified if it's only published by SQEX or also developed internally by them. I'd say it's about time they reveal another console game of their own, since FFXV & KHIII cannot be the only two internally developed games they are going to release in 2015-2017 or which they can show this long after they finished fixing FFXIV.

Famassu

Square-Enix sucks.
It's your prediction skills that suck. What has Square Enix done lately that sucks? Theatrhythm: Curtain Call was awesome. Bravely Default is pretty good apart from the repetition. KH1.5 & 2.5 and FFX | X-2 HD are some of the best HD Remasters in existence. Drakengard III is a game I don't think anyone thought would ever be made (even if it's not the bestestest game ever). They came up with a one of the best ways to bring Type-0 outside Japan. FFXV is finally out of the darkness. They finished screwing around with handheld KHs and KHIII is finally becoming a reality on home consoles. Vita is getting some love with Chaos Rings & FF Agito. Bravely Second is coming. FF Explorers seems like a decent FF themed monster hunter. Dragon Quest Heroes seems like a cool collaboration. DQXI is in development. Some kind of (likely non-mobile) game commemorating SaGa franchise's 25th anniversary is coming. Their support of XIV ARR has been really good and seems to continue being so. They even seem to be putting a lot more effort into many of their mobile games.

The only negative thing they have done (or haven't done) is the localization issue of DQVII 3DS. Other than that, they are firing on all cylinders. The only way they could be doing much better is if Ito was confirmed to be in the helm of either FFXVI or some other big new JRPG IP.

Randam

I would love to see Square Enix doing a western RPG Game. Something like Souls or Dragons Dogma for the western audience (but which would also be succesfull in Japan)

They could even work together on this with their western studios.

Do it Square Enix.
Isn't only the setting western in those games?
I consider them J action rpgs.

Begaria

I would love to see Square Enix doing a western RPG Game. Something like Souls

Do it Square Enix.

They (well, Squaresoft) already did something very similar to the Souls series. It's called Vagrant Story, and it's fucking awesome. It was a Souls game before Souls came to Souls town.

You want crazy statistics on your weaponry with free reign over what kind of weapons you wield and create with one of the most complex and deep item creation systems in video game history? Vagrant Story has it.

vs1-0_599x337.jpg

I mean, just look at these item lists and blacksmithing guides:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/914326-vagrant-story/faqs

Do you want a dark, fairly large, diverse "world" to explore? Vagrant Story has it.

310448-vagrantstory_006.jpg

vs-18.jpg

Creepy enemy designs with a gothic or medieval overtone? Vagrant Story has it.

VS-ravana.jpg

VS-minotaur.jpg

VS-crusader.jpg

How about an adult, dark, gritty, bloody, well written story that makes Final Fantasy Tactic's dark, political and religious overtones look like child's play? Vagrant Story has it.

250508_139525050.jpg

vagrantstory2_display.jpg

How about playing as one of the best, badass mother fuckers in any RPG?

138870_original.jpg

Yeah. Play Vagrant Story, learn Vagrant Story, love Vagrant Story.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I doubt it's DQXI, the ps4 installed base in Japan is not there yet.

Could be Star Ocean 5, or something new like The Last Remnant. Doubt it's FF related, too.

HeelPower

Vagrant story was kind of a pain to play.

I tried playing it this year to see what it was all about.

The game is purely frustrating.Its like a waaay less accessible PS1 version of souls games.

The game has an interesting premise ,but the gameplay is,dare I say,
bad
?

Isn't only the setting western in those games?
I consider them J action rpgs.

hmm I mean the Characterdesings, that local artstyle, those medieval helmets.

Never for a second Dragons Dogma gave me a japanese vipe or feeling.

I think it would be good for SE to create a grounded, less turned off Rpg with normal haircuts (many dont like them - i Do) and maybe a story in the direction of Game of Thrones.

Dont know if they could handle something like that, but then they would have an RPG Game for every big gaming market

Top Bottom