• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSDs are about to get a lot cheaper as NAND prices plummet

winjer

Gold Member

We all know that graphics card prices are the lowest they've been in years, but they might not be the only PC hardware to see substantial price drops. A report claims solid-state drive prices could be about to fall as NAND flash pricing plummets by up to 35%.
TrendForce has now revised its NAND Flash wafer contract prices from the original decline of 15-20% to a drop of 30-35% for the third quarter. That should be good news for those looking to add some new storage to their PCs, as consumer SSDs are expected to become cheaper as a result.
TrendForce writes that, looking forward to the fourth quarter, manufacturers are preparing to maintain their market share at all costs, making the oversupply situation even worse. It believes that as a result, Q42022 NAND Flash wafer pricing could decline by another 20%.

Precisely when the market will correct itself is anyone's guess. TrendForce believes consumer purchasing attitudes will remain conservative in 2023, which could hamper the industry's recovery.

If you are considering buying a new SSD for your PC or console, it might be good to wait a bit, as prices are probably going to fall further.

Wildebeest

I think the demand for HDD is still good enough for them to enjoy massive profit out of this ancient tech. It should've died long ago with floppy disks.
I don't think that HDDs are in demand as much as they used to be, but they are just a much simpler technology to manufacture. The materials and energy usage required to make SSD are just multiple times more expensive.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Didn’t know you had a gaming pc. Welcome. When we playing halo infinite?

I don't play on my "gaming PC". It's mainly for video/photo editing and general use.

58f9c30c-cd89-4998-8a04-0167d766c6d7_text.gif

FeldMonster

I don't think that HDDs are in demand as much as they used to be, but they are just a much simpler technology to manufacture. The materials and energy usage required to make SSD are just multiple times more expensive.
With the ever expanding amount and size of datacenters, until datacenters stop purchasing HDDs for the majority of their storage, the overall demand of HDDs will not drop precipitously. This, despite being gone completely from consumer devices.

TheMan

welp, guess I'll be buying another SSD in a couple of months. I tell you those flight sims and their addons take up a lot of space...

Xyphie

Possible to find the cheapest 1TB SATA drives at around 60€ lately. If it gets much cheaper than that HDDs may finally die except for >10TB drives.

jaysius

Banned
SSDs should've dropped to HDD prices long ago. It's crazy that they're still expensive after like 15 years in the consumer market.
You're right, but the SSD tech we have today isn't the same as yesterday, we've been told we needed FASTER SSDs so they got us used to slightly faster(but somehow "required") speeds of today's SSDs. Computing has plateaued so much that the slight sometimes imperceptible difference is just a game of psychology to make the prices go up and so that they can show growth in the markets. I'm quite honestly ok with even 7200RPM hybrid HDDS for my larger data storage, it's not that slow.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You're right, but the SSD tech we have today isn't the same as yesterday, we've been told we needed FASTER SSDs so they got us used to slightly faster(but somehow "required") speeds of today's SSDs. Computing has plateaued so much that the slight sometimes imperceptible difference is just a game of psychology to make the prices go up and so that they can show growth in the markets. I'm quite honestly ok with even 7200RPM hybrid HDDS for my larger data storage, it's not that slow.

SATA3 SSD should've been much cheaper than NVMe m.2 SSD's. But surfing on Amazon the gap in price isn't that big. I still prefer SATA3 SSD for cold storage though as they don't get as hot and less prone to data loss, I think.

winjer

Gold Member
Hopefully Sony will follow by dropping PS5 price back to 400/500

NAND and memory have been dropping in price through 2022. Still Sony decided to raise prices, not lower.
So I doubt they'll drop it's price any time soon. They´ll probably just pocket the savings.

Reallink

SSDs should've dropped to HDD prices long ago. It's crazy that they're still expensive after like 15 years in the consumer market.

HDDs are also expensive, actually even more so than like 10 years ago when you could buy 3TB CMR 64MB cache 7200rpm drives for like $80 bucks on sale. Now days you'd get a 5400rpm SMR drive for the same price. The effects of consolidation and implicit collusion, the whole computer industry is rotten to the core. I've gotten more price fixing class action lawsuit checks from them than every other industry combined several times over.

Last edited:
Top Bottom