• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX (2012) to get a head-to-head multiplayer update?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Do people even play this anymore? What's the point of adding it now?

Todd Batty is a pretty cool guy and the SSX team is pretty great about supporting their fans. At this point though I would like to hear something about a sequel considering the problems I have with SSX, and how I think they could improve with a new game.

Man I just played the Mount Eddie DLC track again, it's so awesome. Fireworks, bright colors and no death pits not to mention a long ride (I clocked in at 7 minutes 30 seconds, just screwing around.) I really hope they're going to put out more tracks too because I will buy them.

Hale-XF11

Yeah, Todd and company are good people. They still seem genuinely excited about making new content for SSX and that makes me excited too, especially since they care enough to listen to everyone's feedback. I hope EA keeps the train rolling forever, because SSX should live on forever.

Anyways, I hope this is a free patch and that we'll get confirmation about a new DLC track pack soon.

Bedlam

I actually don't mind the wingsuit its kinda fun to get big air and then fly around alittle bit
I think it's inclusion is almost as terrible as the death pits. I don't want to fly, I want to ride a snowboard, god dammit! And as far as online competition goes, you have to use it in many stages since people take ridiculous shortcuts with that thing.

Tattooth

Man I just played the Mount Eddie DLC track again, it's so awesome. Fireworks, bright colors and no death pits not to mention a long ride (I clocked in at 7 minutes 30 seconds, just screwing around.) I really hope they're going to put out more tracks too because I will buy them.

How much is that DLC, I really want to play again but I don't think I can face those pits again.

The wing suits were actually kind of fun, the lack of head to head multiplayer was not fun.

Hopefully they get this out soon. The omission of regular head to head multiplayer was really obvious and annoying.

How much is that DLC, I really want to play again but I don't think I can face those pits again.
The mountain itself is 480 MS points ($6), can't remember how much the bundle with the classic characters is (once you've bought it xbox.com doesn't display the price which is really dumb.)

ubercheez

I think it's inclusion is almost as terrible as the death pits. I don't want to fly, I want to ride a snowboard, god dammit! And as far as online competition goes, you have to use it in many stages since people take ridiculous shortcuts with that thing.

I enjoy using it on stages that were designed for it, but I completely agree that it shouldn't be usable in normal race stages.

SykoTech

Well, better late than never.

Never did get around to buying this one thanks to my huge backlog. This news just may have bumped SSX up on my To Play list though.

I hope there is more to this update than just adding multiplayer. I could really use another mountain or a different character to level. Freeride may be nice, though.

Sojgat

59726-picture_10_super.png

"That would be a waste of time"

Nobody I know still plays this game. Who has any real desire to use this function with randoms? Try putting in the feature people most want in your game at launch, not six months later when they have long ago realised what a pale, failed imitation of it's namesake it was that they were tricked into purchasing.

Stat!

To be honest, no true head to head multiplayer or follow the leader was one of the reasons I didn't get this game.

I know it's a great game otherwise but I couldn't justify the purchase if my friends couldn't play together with me live (without that ghost).

If a $40 re-release I may pick it up or if it goes on sale.

Tawpgun

Can the new update come with a way to change music tracks on the fly? Seems like every other EA game has that feature.

Any chance this update will be free? The cynic in me thinks EA did this just to sell it as DLC and split screen is relatively quick and easy to implement.

Split screen is pretty difficult to get running smoothly actually, since you're essentially rendering twice the amount of content for a second player. Not surprising many games that can barely even get 1080p running smoothly have dropped splitscreen support.

Bedlam

Too late, I already sold it after I got fed up with the death pits. Just gonna wait for the next SSX which hopefully comes with direct MP and with less but better tracks right from the start.

Too late, I already sold it after I got fet up with the death pits. Just gonna wait for the next SSX which hopefully comes with direct MP and with less but better tracks right from the start.

I'm glad you're able to wait for the next one. Series feels dead to me.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Teknoman

I still think that if they rerelease some..."complete" version of the game with all the updates, a substantial amount of people would return. I was thinking about playing the game over the weekend before I read about the patch.

Xav

Get rid of the stupid death pits and tighten up the controls, only then will I start to care again.
*Goes back to SSX Tricky & SSX 3*

DSc

Looks like this is out now on PS3. Free too, by looks of it.

Includes a 5-player simultaneous multiplayer and a new Freeride mode.

Patch 1.02 has just been released introducing 2 new game modes to SSX!

3-2-1 Go! Events

The first new game mode is a completely new way to play SSX online on Global Events.

When looking at your wall or browsing the globe, you will now see certain events indicated as 3-2-1-GO! These events allow you to compete with up to 5 riders simultaneously in fast paced Trick It and Race It Heats.

In these events, the helicopter acts as your lobby. After joining 3-2-1-GO! Event you will be taken to the top of the drop, where you will then wait in the helicopter for other riders to join. As soon as at least one more rider shows up, you can choose to buy into the event and ready-up!

Once at least two riders have readied, a countdown timer will begin, and when it reaches zero the heat will start with all riders jumping out together for a single trip down the mountain with no restarts.

Once everyone makes it down to the bottom, the event ends and everyone collects their credit rewards. You are then given the option to return back to the top or follow a RiderNet recommendation to another 3-2-1-GO Event.

3-2-1-GO! Trick Events introduce a countdown timer for the entire run, so the winner is determined by who can post the highest score AND cross the finish line before the clock hits zero.

The amount of time given on every drop varies based on the length of the track and the Heat Pacing setting - Hyper, Standard or Relaxed.

Regardless of the setting, you're going to want to keep an eye on the clock during your run - if you don't cross the finish line before it reaches zero, you will finish the heat with a big, fat, ZERO!

For 3-2-1-Go! Race Events, it's simple: be the first rider to cross the finish line to win! As soon as the first rider crosses the finish line the heat timer will start a countdown, and you will have a matter of seconds to cross the finish line to qualify. Fail to cross the finish line and you will receive a DNF. Nobody wants that!

Final;;y, if you want to compete against only your friends or with a specific set of rules on your favourite drop, you can create custom 3-2-1-GO! Race and Trick events that will run multiple heats on that drop for a set amount of time and with whatever rules suit your fancy.

Freeride

The other new way to play SSX is one of the most requested modes from the community - Freeride. Navigate to any drop on the globe in Explore, and before selecting your track you will now see a button callout in the bottom left of the screen called Freeride.

After going through the regular flow of selecting your rider and gear, the helicopter will drop you off and you will no longer see the HUD.

There are no rules, no ghosts, no clock, no score and no other riders. Just you, the mountain and your music, free to explore your surroundings at your own pace and with your own style.

Once you've reached the bottom, the helicopter will be waiting to take you back to do it all again. Ride for as long as you like and enjoy some of the most breathtaking scenery found in the world of SSX.

Fixes and Improvements

In addition to the new game modes, EA have made many improvements to the title, here are a few highlights:

SSX Update feature: Brings you all the latest information you nee to know about any future updates or fixes to the game.

There was an issue with collecting a large amount of Geotags that resulted in a crash. This issue is now fixed.

There was an issue with earning a large number of Credits in your bank. Having a couple of billion credits in your bank account can now only be considered a good thing!

A fix has been implemented in the lifetime earnings display to reflect the above fix.

If you have not already earned any of these 3 global event badges, the game will grant them to you automatically when you join any Glob Event: "Part of the Crowd", "I Want To Belong" and " Bandwagon". EA have also fixed a rare problem with "The Gold Miner" not unlocking correctly for some players.

If you are a popular player with many friends, you have probably grown frustrated with the speed and performance of the Returned menu. This is now much improved.

Players with many friends have also likely experienced an issue with RiderNet not remembering some of your Global Event information, or even the fact that you had paid and entered certain events from time to time. The saving and loading of this information has also been greatly improved.

http://community.eu.playstation.com...-Modes-and-fixes-now-live/m-p/16734892#M54532

Brofield

Or buy SSX 3 instead. I'm pretty sure it's BC and it's a better game.

Hell, I still have Tricky on the GC I bust out every now and again. Still haven't really unlocked everything with that game.

But I'll try SSX 3, that'd prolly get the sour taste that was On Tour out of my mouth.

KPunk

wow, if this is true i will totally play this game again. honestly it was a great game. it will be even better.

Bgamer90

Banned
Or buy SSX 3 instead. I'm pretty sure it's BC and it's a better game.

Depends on what one wants. SSX 3 is a great game and I prefer the tracks on it to the ones in SSX (2012), but SSX (2012) has much more replayabilitiy due to its online modes.

Brofield

Depends on what one wants. SSX 3 is a great game and I prefer the tracks on it to the ones in SSX (2012), but SSX (2012) has much more replayabilitiy due to its online modes.

To say I'm still new with Xbox is an understatement, it's been Nintendo for the better part of my life (and a hand-me-down Sega Genesis that's dear to my heart). As it is, I won't have Xbox Gold membership for a year, maybe for December and the summer months when I'm out of university. Is SSX online really dependent on Gold membership?

Top Bottom