• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

St. Vincent - St. Vincent |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minus_Me

Why no Montreal!

She opened for Arcade Fire during Neon Bible tour and totally outstaged them that night in my opinion.

number11

Just got back from her London show... Wow. She definitely killed it.

From watching some performances on youtube, I initially wasn't a fan of her new "choreography" routines.. But this is probably now my favourite era of St Vincent in terms of live shows.

The opening act was also pretty decent. I've never heard of glass animals before.. But I'll definitely be checking out for them in the future

Just got back from her London show... Wow. She definitely killed it.

From watching some performances on youtube, I initially wasn't a fan of her new "choreography" routines.. But this is probably now my favourite era of St Vincent in terms of live shows.

The opening act was also pretty decent. I've never heard of glass animals before.. But I'll definitely be checking out for them in the future

saw her yesterday as well, she was incredible as always.
seems like she picked up a bit of showmanship from her stint with david byrne what with all the dancing!

St. Vincent is such a phenomenal album. There's not a single song I don't like. It will definitely end up being one of my favorite albums of the year.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
anyone ever deal with Republic/Lama Vista customer care? this shit is absolutely sad how horrible this pressing is. It's obvious they got a pressing factory that was all about pushing these out as fast as possible. Wavy pressing, misaligned stamp, the spindle hole is butchered.

vid

also, these records are stamped 2013, so they've most definitely been sitting in some warehouse for a couple months waiting for the 2014 push.

overcast

What the hell is that Wenis? Get a refund or something. Going to buy this when I get paid Friday.

Buying the vinyl after my concert next month. Not sure though, don't want that shitty quality.

Where is my Japanese deluxe song? I need more.

wenis

What the hell is that Wenis? Get a refund or something. Going to buy this when I get paid Friday.

Buying the vinyl after my concert next month. Not sure though, don't want that shitty quality.

Where is my Japanese deluxe song? I need more.
I bought from amazon so a refund/replacement would be really easy, but I'm also hedging my bet on the next copy I'm sent not having the same issues.

If I go after the label, I'll probably have better luck and not get a bum copy.

I'm going to one of her shows early next month. This will be the first time I've elected to go to a music performance on my own. I've previously seen Bruce Springsteen, Chris Isaak, Kansas and Styx (last two at the same show), but I was taken to those by a parent and didn't listen to their music by myself.

I've only heard good things about her live performances, so I'm really looking forward to it.

Davey Cakes

I haven't even listened to the album.

That said, I just got back from St. Vincent's concert in Boston and...just wow.

I couldn't recommend a live show more than this one. Absolutely stellar. Annie just keeps going and going and going like the Energizer Bunny too. I was surprised by the length of the show.

i was dragged to a St Vincent show in 2009, you need to see this woman live to truly know what it feels like to fall in love.

Stange Mercy was like my favorite album in 2011. Love This Giant was okay, and i need to give the new one a second go before i truly know how i feel. I still want more of that Krokodil sound, that single was a beast.

lol no one mentioned that she was on Colbert?
ikGw8OaBrw44V.gif

The interview is a must watch. He likes the music but wants to "get" it XD

Shearie

This is a great album........but I can't stop listening to Pharrell's new album. Once that gets played out I give this album more attention.

She killed it last night at 9:30 club in DC. She played every song off the new album except for 'Psychopath' and 'Severed Crossed Fingers'. I wish I could go to the second show tonight. Simply amazing.

BeerSnob

I have a deep and abiding love for Birth in Reverse and Rattlesnake. There's nothing I can point at and say, "Hey, I've seen that before". For a second you pick up the..eighties (?) maybe then it's buried in a cacophony of something entirely different. Such delightful chaos.

Aizo

Banned
Ooh! Cool thread! I was considering making one, but didn't know if there would be enough interest. I saw her last year live with David Byrne, and it was phantasmagoria. She is wonderful.

That performance of She is beyond good and evil just gave me erection. thenks.

Hopefully she keeps having enough high energy B-sides and covers like that. Ill make my own album out of it if I have to.

Looking forward to seeing her Monday, great album! Popped in to read live show impressions and they seem positive so definitely excited about it.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I haven't loved anything she has done since Actor as much as Actor but I like the three singles off this one more than I liked the singles from Strange Mercy or any of the stuff from the Byrne collabo. I'm going to check this out later with some cautious optimism.

overcast

Oh my god, the live show was insane. She sounds perfect, and she played plenty of favorites along with almost all of the new album. Pretty lengthy set, but I wanted it to go longer. The longer outros, and extended guitar play made me wish I could listen to the live show versions all the time.

Also, I don't want to spoil any of the performance on stage, but it's really fun to watch Annie dance to the songs, and she has a few great bits of dialogue. She played one song I didn't know, so if anybody figures that out, let me know. It was a great track too.

Whoever is seeing her is in for a treat.

Steamlord

Yeah, she was brilliant live. Though I have to admit I miss the more genuine banter in from previous tours. I mean, her dialogue was great, and even during older shows I know she had some kind of rough "script" she followed, but it felt like she connected with the audience more, which she can't really do with this new persona thing she's got going on. The choreography was really fucking fun though.

The opening act, Noveller, was great too, though a bit of a weird choice since she plays sleepy drone music and St. Vincent's show is super energetic. So many filthy plebeians around me who couldn't get into her stuff and decided to talk really loudly during her performance instead.

wenis

Oh my god, the live show was insane. She sounds perfect, and she played plenty of favorites along with almost all of the new album. Pretty lengthy set, but I wanted it to go longer. The longer outros, and extended guitar play made me wish I could listen to the live show versions all the time.

Also, I don't want to spoil any of the performance on stage, but it's really fun to watch Annie dance to the songs, and she has a few great bits of dialogue. She played one song I didn't know, so if anybody figures that out, let me know. It was a great track too.

Whoever is seeing her is in for a treat.

What was on sale? Prices?

overcast

What was on sale? Prices?
The 3 previous solos on record for 25 each (didn't have the new or which was disappointing).
Shirts were mostly dull. Tour shirt isn't great, surgeon shirt was there, that one is the best. 25 each.
Then the poster, which is very good IMO. That's 30 though. Other than that, the usual.

I stuck around after, but she didn't show. They said she was under the weather. I think I heard she was sick at SXSW though. Didn't perform like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom