• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stana Katic leaves Castle, won't return for Season 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mossybrew

Only watched Castle because of Fillion. Normally hate these kinds of shows for being creatively bankrupt but Castle was a lot of fun for a few seasons...

I think I lost interest after season 3 or so, but I did enjoy it for a time. Can't say for sure even why I stopped watching. But it does surprise me the show is still going after all this time.

Joni

Uhh, then the show doesn't work at all. It's their partnership that makes the show work. Instead why don't they just make season 8 finale the series finale? Then everyone gets away with some closure that makes sense.

If only they had a female detective to take her place:

hayley-shipton-castle-s8e1.jpg

One of the oddest things about the Red John plotline in the Mentalist is... they should have ended it with "Red John's" death in Season 3, then have a storyline with the Friends of Red John, then a final storyline involving the Police Brotherhood corruption stuff. It was naturally set up for nine seasons with three season mystery arcs, and they just decided to drag Red John out.

Savitar

Fillion is in for a rude awakening if he thinks this show can keep surviving with her gone.

The dynamic WAS the show.

Miker

I asked this earlier in the thread and looked through 4 pages and couldn't any explanation - what's the story behind Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic hating each other? Judging by the posts in this thread, it's seemingly common knowledge, and I'm curious where it all started.

Joni

Fillion is in for a rude awakening if he thinks this show can keep surviving with her gone.

The dynamic WAS the show.

The show isn't surviving with her in it. The show dropped 30% compared to last year, where it already had dropped 20%. It lost half its viewership in two seasons. The dynamic just doesn't work anymore.

Chorazin

The show isn't surviving with her in it. The show dropped 30% compared to last year, where it already had dropped 20%. It lost half its viewership in two seasons. The dynamic just doesn't work anymore.

You mean fans didn't get behind "THEY'RE FINALLY TOGETHER!" "OH NO THEY BROKE UP?!?" repeated ad-nauseum for the last, what, four seasons?

My GF loves the show and I'm eh about it so admittedly I'm not deep into the lore in invested in it, but every time she'd catch up on a season I'd have to ask her if this was a together again or broke up again season.

In spite of a nice cast, I never made it past Castle season 1 because the meh writing. Besides, Lucifer does the same basic procedural in a much more interesting way. Hope Katic shows up in something I actually want to watch.

In spite of a nice cast, I never made it past Castle season 1 because the meh writing. Besides, Lucifer does the same basic procedural in a much more interesting way. Hope Katic shows up in something I actually want to watch.

Yeah, my main 3 shows currently are all procedurals: Castle, Lucifer, and Elementary. If I had to rank them in terms of interesting characters and stories I would go Lucifer, Elementary, Castle.

Joni

You mean fans didn't get behind "THEY'RE FINALLY TOGETHER!" "OH NO THEY BROKE UP?!?" repeated ad-nauseum for the last, what, four seasons?

My GF loves the show and I'm eh about it so admittedly I'm not deep into the lore in invested in it, but every time she'd catch up on a season I'd have to ask her if this was a together again or broke up again season.
Yeah, that fall started way before the breakup. As for the breakup, that as well is clearly related to Stana as she renewed very late.

Patryn

I asked this earlier in the thread and looked through 4 pages and couldn't any explanation - what's the story behind Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic hating each other? Judging by the posts in this thread, it's seemingly common knowledge, and I'm curious where it all started.

The answer is simply that it's industry gossip. There are no direct sources you can look at, as it's not really a thing a person would go on the record being frank about. Hell, look at the Good Wife situation which was clearly about 100 times worse in that the actresses stopped appearing together in scenes altogether to the point that they had to eventually result in a CG composite at the end. You'll still find no official sources talking about how they hated each other, just gossip and rumors.

The closest you will get is this oblique reference to it from the Deadline article linked in the OP:

None of the other Castle cast members besides Fillion have been given an indication about their future on the show though sources indicate that Seamus Dever and Jon Huertas would likely return alongside Fillion who is said to be close with them while not getting along so well with Katic

Replicant

This fucking sucks. They likely just kills her. UGH.

After all of these times, they'll just act like she's not an important character.

Miker

The answer is simply that it's industry gossip. There are no direct sources you can look at, as it's not really a thing a person would go on the record being frank about. Hell, look at the Good Wife situation which was clearly about 100 times worse in that the actresses stopped appearing together in scenes altogether to the point that they had to eventually result in a CG composite at the end. You'll still find no official sources talking about how they hated each other, just gossip and rumors.

The closest you will get is this oblique reference to it from the Deadline article linked in the OP:

Thanks for the explanation. I was hoping for something more interesting and/or public, but yeah, that sounds about right.

Etzer

That episode in California felt like a backdoor pilot for a rebooted S9.
Castle, Alexis and the British chick in California.
+ secret league of super detectives featuring Summer Glau.

I remember that episode! Yeah, I'm OK with this. Beckett's character has been insufferable for a while now.

I watched the first season of this show before giving up. Not even Nathan Fillion's charm can save its dull premise and repetition. Honestly can't believe it's still on the air.

How about we go with Castle trying to solve all supernatural crimes, those were always the best episodes by far anyway.
The recent Genie lamp episode proved it once again.

Volimar

Maybe now we can finally get the Castle/Alexis detective agency we've all dreamed of. Fillion had this to say:

The Stana stans were ate him alive after this.

I hope they don't kill off Beckett. Have her kidnapped at the start of the season or something and get her to show up for the finale.

Wow another "supernatural" episode like 2 weeks later.
This is what the show needs to be every single episode, with or without Beckett

Every single one since S1 has been a masterpiece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom