• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 3.23 update: Adventure Beckons (Fauna, Creature Hunting plus more)

Bullet Club

Banned

Star Citizen Alpha 3.23 (Release):​

Features that were released
  • Fauna (dogs - Kopions, birds - Maroks) (Source)
  • Creature Hunting - New!
  • Distribution Centers (Official Video)
  • Engineering Gameplay (Arena Commander)
  • New Character Customizer
  • Server Recovery
  • EVA Rework (Flying)
  • Interaction Menu Rework (Source)
  • Visor & HUD Lens Rework
  • MobiGlas Rework
  • Master Modes in PU
  • New Starmap
  • FPS Minimap & Compass
  • New in-game Ship Prices (Prices of larger ships increased)
  • Reputation - Hostility
  • Dynamic Crosshair
  • Vulkan Graphics API
  • New Water Simulation (not yet swimming and floating)
  • Image Upscaling
  • Replication Layer Update

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
This is still alive? Lol
7Vwi.gif

Buggy Loop

That’s nearly half of the features that were showcased at citizen con just this last October implemented in a single patch. Insane. Never been a bigger patch in this game and for an MMO, that’s a lot of technology change in a single patch. And from what I’m reading this morning it seems stable. NPCs are reacting and server fps is good.

It seems all the pieces of the puzzle are aligning for a 1.0 release maybe by end of year or early 2025.

I bet they drop a bomb at this year citizen con with a very close release date of Squadron 42 and demo of chapter 1 shadow dropped. This patch showcases that they walk the talk.

btw, the new flight model is even faster

Those ground flying videos will be intense

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

• Server Recovery
  • EVA Rework (Flying)
  • MobiGlas Rework
  • Master Modes in PU
  • New Starmap
  • FPS Minimap & Compass
  • Reputation - Hostility
  • Dynamic Crosshair
  • Vulkan Graphics API
  • Image Upscaling

Nice improvements, but would like to know the details of the PC in this video. It seems like the game stutters a LOT.

Buggy Loop

Also, is this coming to PS5?

Discussions were rumoured to be had between CIG and major console platforms for Squadron 42 as of now.

It’ll likely be the single player before since that’s a fixed controlled and offline experience, while the online one is probably gonna be much later. No point going console till you are 1.0 release and stable.

Gideon

Don't know what to think about this game yet but I'll try out squadron game and the full release of this when it's released or in beta.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Did they fix the performance?
Sort of, yes. They've changed the way the client and server are talking together. So in a way, the game is much less dependent on "waiting" for the server response (per se). Thus the client is more driven by your hardware performance rather than the server performance. It makes a lot of difference, the game feels a lot smoother. It's still an alpha though, so you'll experience a few hickups here and there.

I've been playing for an hour or two, and SC feels a lot more like an actual game than before. The performance, UI and map changes alone is a big deal. The map struggle made me quit playing 3.22, so I'll probably stick around for a while with 3.23 this time.

Btw, Vulkan is there, but I don't think it's optimized yet.

Last edited:

Comandr

Played a bit of 3.23. Some of the new changes are really good. Feels like a bunch of disconnected pieces are finnnaaalllyyy starting to come together. I suspect the pieces are going to start coming together much faster from here on out too. The new mobiglass is so much better. I get about 20fps on handheld at 23w on a the GPDWin 4 6800u. It's certainly not a great experience but I never would have thought a day would come where I could play fucking Star Citizen at ALL on a handheld. Of course performance and everything will tighten up down the line.

nemiroff

Gold Member

• Server Recovery
  • EVA Rework (Flying)
  • MobiGlas Rework
  • Master Modes in PU
  • New Starmap
  • FPS Minimap & Compass
  • Reputation - Hostility
  • Dynamic Crosshair
  • Vulkan Graphics API
  • Image Upscaling

Btw, I've been watching summit1G play Star Citizen (3.23) lately, and I gotta say some of the new environments, like the industrial complexes, are indeed HUGE, and well designed. Once the AI starts really

The new map is amazing, at least comparatively to the old one. HUD and menus as well, minimalistic and refined. And how could I forget, DLSS support.. New physics, and EVA changes, all solid.

Edit: I have a complaint tho, one that I've had for some time: The HUD/Cockpit is still fucking blinding in the dark, and not dimmable. I heard it's in the pipeline though.

Edit: Server froze, too many people playing!
But now let's see if the new auto server resume works..)

Edit: It worked, it's now up and running again without me having to restart the client, nice. If this means no more being thrown out of the game because of server issues it would be pretty damn cool. And chat was working as per usual during server resume.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

I don't understand where the money is still coming from. I don't think whales can sustain tbis kind of development. Hell I bought it like 7 years ago and it's still going

They have had their best financing years in the past years. Last year was their biggest one even

New players, peoples spending on paint jobs, armor sets, new ships, etc. It’s not the >$1000 ships that replenish the bank, it’s the sum of those $65-$150 ships or $10 paints that cumulates with hundreds of thousands of players that are still very much active.

They have free trial and all ship tryouts twice a year which seems to be enough to attract new players with starter packs and old players to find a new ship they want to keep.

🤷‍♂️

Peoples can complain all they want that CIG is getting too much money or whatever, but fact is that they are still in a very healthy position with a lot of technological advancements and sometimes even groundbreaking such as server meshing coming up, while the same competitor of that 2013 era space sim, Elite dangerous, is nearly dead with Frontier now at the verge of bankruptcy. In a time where everyone has layoffs, CIG is hiring even with over a thousand employees.

Buggy Loop

it's a carefully crafted never ending scam that prays on nostalgia and sunk cost fallacy by constantly increasing their scopes and promises thus providing the perfect excuse to never actually deliver a final product.

Ah yeah, a “scam” where you spend the amount you get yearly into the studio and a huge number of devs to develop technology and make a single player and online mmo where there’s tens of thousands of players concurrently every day.

The scam masters where they don’t run away with the money

You got it Sherlock

Meanwhile even in unfinished state and with bugs, it brings more to the space sim genre and emergent gameplay than Starfield’s $400M / 8 years of development / from an already full fledged team of senior developers that know the engine for a decade Bethesda

Also massive waves of Elite Dangerous players going to SC because that “released” game became a dead end with devs running out of money and didn’t invest in the technology since a decade, just duct taped together to have more features such as walking around and it was a dud.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I don't understand where the money is still coming from. I don't think whales can sustain tbis kind of development. Hell I bought it like 7 years ago and it's still going
The vision, the design, the sandbox, the potential.. I mean, Star Citizen appeals to a wide demographics, including some with comfy finances. While not everyone invests heavily in ships, some players find value in the game's sandbox, which has enough granularity to create value in the various ship designs (unlike some games that offer only non-essential cosmetics). Purchasing a ship in Star Citizen means buying a well-crafted vessel in every nook and cranny that enhances the feel of "living, working and traveling" in it.

Many of us anticipated things was going to start to increasingly materialize after CIG showed their no-BS progression at CC 2023, and explained how they after a feature-complete SQ42 moved most of their developers over to SC. Despite the turbulence of the past, 3.23 in particular is quite the relative leap into something that feels like a step towards a more complete gaming experience.

Anyway, I was one of the first original backers back in the days, but my interest faded after just a few years, and I didn't start to give a shit about the Live alpha until 3.22 last year.

Last edited:

rochet

Wow 3.23 has come a long way, played it over the weekend it feels a lot more polished, haven't played it in several years. However.....they really need to fix the server crashing and server tick rated slowing degrading with time.

The fact that people call this a scam is concerning. Would you rather have a game that has it's alpha and beta 3 months before launch? (Battlefield 2042).

Or how about a Ubisoft game that takes 8 years to develop just to be complete shit? (Skull and Bones)

Or a game where the lead dev is known for his multiple, hit space games over the years and is actually taking his time creating the best MMO space game of all time?

Because I know what I would pick.

Just because people willing pay him $1,000 for a ship doesn't make the game a scam.

A lot of you just want him to say that it's going to a 1.00 release so you can complain about promised features that are missing.

Buggy Loop

The vision, the design, the sandbox, the potential.. I mean, Star Citizen appeals to a wide demographics, including some with comfy finances. While not everyone invests heavily in ships, some players find value in the game's sandbox, which has enough granularity to create value in the various ship designs (unlike some games that offer only non-essential cosmetics). Purchasing a ship in Star Citizen means buying a well-crafted vessel in every nook and cranny that enhances the feel of "living, working and traveling" in it.

Many of us anticipated things was going to start to increasingly materialize after CIG showed their no-BS progression at CC 2023, and explained how they after a feature-complete SQ42 moved most of their developers over to SC. Despite the turbulence of the past, 3.23 in particular is quite the relative leap into something that feels like a step towards a more complete gaming experience.

Anyway, I was one of the first original backers back in the days, but my interest faded after just a few years, and I didn't start to give a shit about the Live alpha until 3.22 last year.

Played 3.23 in the last two days and It's surprisingly good. HOLY shit the change in combat and AI though. Hammerheads now can rip. What used to be "soloable" because of bugged AI, now you stand no chance alone, as it should be. I love the new map and UI. There's also many changes overall that change the vibe of the game such as fog and lighting, something definitely changed in how it looks. It used to be more "grey" and now the colors and shadow grading are much better.

Loreville looks stunning.

I was surprised in 3.23 to see the ships I bought with in-game money were still there, not wiped. At some point when there's gonna be 1.0 and no more wipes, I really don't see the point of buying ships with real-life money. I guess its like any collection hobby for some peoples, they collect them over the span of a decade. But it's otherwise really easy to ignore all that. But I'm also used to buy plane modules in DCS and nobody gives a flying fuck for that do they? Can't even buy the planes "in-game". No articles about it. The game that is in constant evolving patching/debugging/additional features since Flanker 2.0, erm I mean DCS, in 2008. But it's "released" so it's fine :rolleyes:

I backed in 2013 along Elite Dangerous too and just went on with life and doing what I needed to do, such as going back to university for becoming an engineer. I don't care really how long it takes. Now Elite Dangerous is at risk of closing down Frontier and they didn't invest in their core technology for so long that the Cobra engine would have to be redone from the ground up to realize a bigger vision and better implementations to satisfy the fans, which is unlikely to happen. Elite dangerous is so far away from the kickstarter's concept vision that it's so sad.

New world MMO is gonna close because as soon as the devs hit a bump they folded like a chair.

So fucking KUDOS to CIG for not losing hope/focus and not folding like a chair as soon as fans criticized. It was a bumpy fucking road. Thanks to the dedicated fans who paid monthly fees even to BUG TEST or the others who bought ships. I don't care if you call them whales, because contrary to Elite dangerous, they financed a nice fucking piece of technology and emergent gameplay.

Yes they fucked up their release timeline and yes there was feature creep, but after seeing Citizencon 2023, them telling us that all the features seen would release tentatively in the next year (everyone LOL'd) and now seeing, 6 months later, half of those features implemented and not being a bug fest in the PU.

Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF

I don't know what happened over there, the return of Chris Roberts back to UK Manchester to work on Squadron 42 or something else, but they walk the talk now. I really believe SQ42 at this year Citizencon will knock socks off.

Last edited:
The game has allready been so long in development that the actor Bernard Hill, featured in the single player trailer, has died of old age...

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Neither do people who aren't interested in a game and still shitpost in the discussions
I was interested when it initially was announced nearly 12 years ago. I even backed the game on kickstarter.

It’s a scam. I have long come to terms with it, but clearly cultists or paid shills, I honestly can’t tell (really hope it’s the latter for some faith in humanity to remain) have yet to do so.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I was interested when it initially was announced nearly 12 years ago. I even backed the game on kickstarter.

It’s a scam. I have long come to terms with it, but clearly cultists or paid shills, I honestly can’t tell (really hope it’s the latter for some faith in humanity to remain) have yet to do so.
So dramatic.. It sounds like you need a hug there buddy. Why the obsessive need to take a dump and call people "clearly cultists and shills" just because they enjoy a $45 videogame you don't. Let it go..

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Calling SC a scam should be a bannable offense because the person saying it is too fucking stupid to know what an actual scam is and that kind of retardation is toxic to this site.

Horribly mismanaged is what SC actually is.
So dramatic.. It sounds like you need a hug there buddy

nemiroff

Gold Member
Yeah, I understand that's one of the popular stereotypical nonsensical responses to go to on forums when people maneuver themselves into their own intellectual vacuum. But it's even sloppy by those standards as you're the only one here labeling people over a videogame.

Calling SC a scam should be a bannable offense because the person saying it is too fucking stupid to know what an actual scam is and that kind of retardation is toxic to this site.

Horribly mismanaged is what SC actually is.
I'd say that's true. I don't think CR was prepared at all for how big this thing was about to become. The good thing is that CIG trimmed a lot of fat and clearly became more focused, 3.23 is proof of that.

Last edited:

rochet

Whats is crazy is how many ppl quickly say scam have have no interest in hearing ppl who have tried the game. Don't listen to me look at youtube and other ppl who have tried it. It does seam like they are pulling it off. But the servers do crash which is my only beef right now, but damn they have improved questing, fpsing, and is not so stuttering and quality of life improvements.

Or.. bash it and enjoy your starfield "loading screen" game. Now that was a scam...

Last edited:
Top Bottom