• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR CITIZEN, Chris Roberts' (Wing Commander) New Game [$25 million funded]

elyetis

Yup. Aurora and 300i come with the discount. The Avenger, which costs as much as a 325a, gets a business hangar strangely enough.
Business hangar for me and my 300i+Avenger then, yay. <3 ( thought I honestly don't care much about the hangar module ^ ^; )

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Oh, I don't know, I think a thread for our new screenshots from the hangar module is worth a thread in Gaming.

Crank up the downsampling, get some glorious bullshots... should be good times.

Grief.exe

Oh, I don't know, I think a thread for our new screenshots from the hangar module is worth a thread in Gaming.

Crank up the downsampling, get some glorious bullshots... should be good times.

I agree there should be a new thread in gaming, since this is news for the game.

I guess I'm just arguing that calling it an OT is somewhat disingenuous.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I agree there should be a new thread in gaming, since this is news for the game.

Oh, yeah, "Star Citizen Hangar Module |OT| Not actually the game" would be a bit awkward, should just be a plain old thread

MrBig

It really doesn't matter that much, but the title I was going to use was Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: Hangar Module. Perhaps I'll wait until the 24th then, the thread is just intended to introduce new people to the game and such

Francois424

Neo Member
Business looks much better than the premium hangar... Oh well.
At least will give me something to try this week-end.

Now ppl still thinking this is Vapor-ware will have concrete proof that it isn't.

Grief.exe

It really doesn't matter that much, but the title I was going to use was Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: Hangar Module. Perhaps I'll wait until the 24th then, the thread is just intended to introduce new people to the game and such

Sounds good to me, I wasn't arguing for its existence. Just thought it was a bit strange it was an OT.

And you are exactly right, putting the thread in gaming will introduce more people to the game.

Now ppl still thinking this is Vapor-ware will have concrete proof that it isn't.

Who was thinking Star Citizen was vapor-ware?

They literally launched the Kickstarter with a working build, very few games actually do that.

Francois424

Neo Member
Who was thinking Star Citizen was vapor-ware?

They literally launched the Kickstarter with a working build, very few games actually do that.

I know, but really a lot of friends tought I was crazy that the game would never lift off and so on. Of course they didn't know who Chris Roberts was or anything.
This will prove them wrong with pure evidence, and might even make them pledge, oddly enough.

I have Old School friends that are very... "paranoiac" about internet stuff. ;)

CTLance

I can live with my biznatch hangar, but I'd love to take a walk around in the Discount Hangar my 350R pledge would give me.

Deluxe looks nice too, but not 250 bucks "Deluxe" nice.

Looking forward to the Hangar thread.

Grief.exe

What's wrong with you? That is the best part of the game!

I apologize, you convinced me. I love just my video games to be just walking around one room, looking at one object ;)

To be honest, you could make an argument that gaming is going in that direction. Some of the most popular games, Skyrim, COD, etc, just have you walking down a hallway, with minimal interaction, and dumbed down elements. Won't be too long now where they simplify that experience to just a single room with explosions.

But I am way, way off topic.

MrBig

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=657405

Any chance they switch over to this and have improved lightning/whatever?

Since they're licensing the engine source code and not the public SDK I'd assume they'd have access to any Crytek revisions they request, especially since, afaik, SC is cryengine's biggest product aside from any gov contracts.

e: not in the sense that they would port or drop the game into a new engine, but append any of cryteks new devopments to their highly edited version of CE.

Daedardus

Since they're licensing the engine source code and not the public SDK I'd assume they'd have access to any Crytek revisions they request, especially since, afaik, SC is cryengine's biggest product aside from any gov contracts.

e: not in the sense that they would port or drop the game into a new engine, but append any of cryteks new devopments to their highly edited version of CE.

I know they get the latest updates, but I wonder how this new licensing systems works seeing as Crytek dropped the numbered release. Do they get frequent updates as per their license or would they need to get an updated license (and pay more?) to benefit from the added features.

All stretch goals from the beggining until now; a new page on the official website :

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

Looks really slick.

CIG and Crytek are actually working together on the engine side of things and send some coders out regularly to help with SC. Crytek is helping CIG coders to modify Cryengine specifically for SC. And yes they do get the latest build updates.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/634626/#Comment_634626

Hey Carl - We're using the latest Cryengine. We get developer updates and integrate them into our codebase as soon they are available, so yea, we'll be at the head of the cryengine revisions as long as there aren't any changes that would require massive content changes on our side. We'll be on this release of Cryengine and probably a number of future revisions.

Jeff

This is from their gameplay designer.

Bonus concept art for the Cutlass pirate ship that I found on reddit

cutlass01.jpg

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
This video is an interview with Chris Roberts at Gamescom. In it, he says, "Next Thursday, all the backers will have this (the Star Citizen launcher program) on their machines."

People in the RSI forums take this to mean that the hangar module has been delayed until Aug. 29, and this Saturday will only be a presentation at Gamescom.

Also, at the 2:10 mark, Roberts mentions a (previously unknown) shipboarding module, set to launch after the planetside module and before the Squadron 42 alpha.

The video also shows him running around the hangar module explaining all the bugs that are seen (squares showing up on the floor where he walks, falling through the Aurora's floor, goofy ladder animations).

ZoddGutts

Not really surprising that their using the latest version of CryEngine 3. They even have Crytek people at their office helping out on the game.

MrBig

Zabojnik

The 29th it is, then. Looking forward to the presentation / event at Gamescom tomorrow!

"I&#8217;d like to take a moment to discuss exactly what you&#8217;re getting. First and foremost, the Hangar Module you will load next week is by no means a finished product. It is the earliest build of anything I have ever shared with the public. In fact, it&#8217;s at an even earlier stage than I would feel comfortable giving to any publisher I&#8217;ve worked with in the past and long before I would be sharing builds with QA in a traditional game development schedule! But Star Citizen is all about trying new approaches in game development." - Chris Roberts

It's alright, Chris. Most of the fanbase understands this perfectly, but some people will bitch and moan no matter what. You guys will just have to learn to live with it and take it as part of the challenge.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Getting to 16M$ during the the livestream would be all kinds of amazing. Don't think it'll happen, but it's gonna be close enough.

They just need to make some kind of limited edition ship available and it'll happen. I'm fairly optimistic it's gonna happen before the actual hangar module release.

CTLance

New news, new thread? Maybe the non-hardcore-fans of Star Citizen want to know about this stream? Or am I being too optimistic about the relevance of this?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
New news, new thread? Maybe the non-hardcore-fans of Star Citizen want to know about this stream? Or am I being too optimistic about the relevance of this?

There won't be much new coming out of this thread. They'll just show the hangar module, probably.

CTLance

Plus, chick in a red dress speaking German on stage. You know this will get views even from non-fans.

;-)

Now The Roberts has taken the stage. views++; *swoon*
He looks a bit well warmed over. Small wonder. :]

Pooor sucker couldn't log in. Haha. That'll haunt him all week.

CTLance

Man, no KB&M again. Sigh.

Gotta say though, tell someone people will cheer that loudly for virtual spaceship butt and they'll probably just shake their heads in wonder.

Also: THOSE ANIMATIONS ARE SUPREME QUALITY. Amazeballs. :lol

Again with the logins. o_O

Top Bottom