• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen loan clarification: it's an advance on their UK game dev tax rebate

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
The fact is with the amount of money invesyed and so many years of development, is is worrying to not have a full game officially released, fully playable. This budget could basically fund dozen of modest indie games.

What does that have to do with this? This is not an indie game, it's not aiming to be an indie game and it's not an outlier in development time for a big budget MMO or even just an AAA game in general.

Armaros

So...

There is a company that gives them an advance (loan) on their Government Tax credit. In return they promise to pay the advance should the UK Government fail to pay it (which is their legal obligation).

Whats wrong with this?

"THE BANK WILL NOW OWN STAR CITIZEN BECAUSE THIS MEANS THEY HAVE NO MONEY, THE END IS COMING" is what was being arguing in the previous thread.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
You are not the communities savory.

What?

They are bunch of intelligent people, they aren't being hurt by CIG or misled. An if CIG was indeed doing that, then they are and would be in for a world of hurt. Like you have never seen. I'm sure of that.

Good for them!

As I've said, I'm only interested in this subject because of the way people react to stories about this game. It's like you guys are aiming for the title of most defensive community on the internet.

So the game is not a reality. Is what you are really saying?

It's not a reality yet, just like Super Mario Odyssey isn't. So?

You're a contradiction wrapped in a contradiction.

That sounds cool, so thanks.

tuxfool

Banned
The fact is with the amount of money invesyed and so many years of development, is is worrying to not have a full game officially released, fully playable. This budget could basically fund dozen of modest indie games.

It still somewhat surprises me that people on this forum don't really understand how long games these days take to make. But this game isn't some annualized product that iterates on a game before it, nor does it have 1000 people working on it.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
What?

Good for them!

As I've said, I'm only interested in this subject because of the way people react to stories about this game. It's like you guys are aiming for the title of most defensive community on the internet.

It's not a reality, just like Super Mario Odyssey isn't.
What is this thread?

8 Years? Where did you get an extra 4 years from? The game didn't start development until 2013 - 2014.
And even back then they had a skeleton crew compared to what they have now, were still working with Cry Engine, and actually didn't have much of a game to show because it was still so early in development. But revisionist historians are gonna do what they do.

What does that have to do with this? This is not an indie game, it's not aiming to be an indie game and it's not an outlier in development time for a big budget MMO or even just an AAA game in general.

They are so confused it's not even funny. The amount of money CIG has gain is 150 million, but that's only in accumulation. They actually just make 28 to 34 million a year, but that's spent money regardless and or put away like any smart business. Which CIG seems to be. That's money after every release, game package, ship sale, gamecom or citizen-con show. All inbetween that they inform the community, week in and week out.

I don't get people's problem other then.The realities of game development and delays, as pointed out by the Kotaku report and people buying what they want for a game they want. When it's not anyone's business.

It's odd.

I mean at least the other guy was posting an actual document and just interpreting it incorrectly.

Incorrectly is a understatement, Jebus.

bitbydeath

"Both sides are just as bad" yet we have people posting blatant lies and conspiracy theories? What is happening this thread is gonna get locked again.

I have no horse in this race but it is obviously not determined one way or the other as the article was removed. Stay middle ground, don't go extreme 'conspiracy' bs.

MisterR

I think if you look at it in a long term way, beyond people disliking this game due to a zeal amongst its defenders, I think a lot of the hate this game gets here is from the initial pitch itself. Being so heavily PC-focused and focused on a "only the best" kind of assets / graphics / systems / simulations wahtever alienates a certain section of GAF and even the game industry. It is ballsy, ambitious and is generally proud of that fact... a lot of devs I have seen on twitter dislike the arrogance. And I think on GAF it comes accross very poorly given this forum's heavy console-only population.

I think that definitely plays a role in it. It's one of many things about this project that rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
It's not a reality yet, just like Super Mario Odyssey isn't. So?

I must have lost you there, is SMO not a reality yet? It's been playable on nintendo events and is said to be feature complete already at switch launch. What do you constitute as a "reality"? That you have the complete game in your hands or what?

inky

So you admit you are just in here to poke backers because they get defensive when people get away with tons of unsubstantiated claims every single thread... really interesting sport you are practicing here.

It's not a reality yet, just like Super Mario Odyssey isn't

And your posts keep getting dumber and dumber. Yikes.Time to stop posting.

Brazil

I must have lost you there, is SMO not a reality yet? It's been playable on nintendo events and is said to be feature complete already at switch launch. What do you constitute as a "reality"? You have the complete game in your hands or what?

Hm, yes. It's not hard to surmise that's what I'm saying.

This thread is proof that people will read way too much into things when they believe others are out to get them. My God.

This thread is proof that people will read way too much into things when they believe others are out to get them. My God.

Are you tone deaf? don't act all holier then thou. You're gas-lighting.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I just want to point out, that if some people saw the budget and development time of Elder Scrolls VI or Red Dead Redemption 2 they'd probably declare those games mismanaged scams, too.

Brazil

Are you tone deaf?

You sure like telling me what I am or what I'm not, huh?

Just in the last fifteen minutes I've found out that I'm:
- A contradiction wrapped in a contradiction.
- Not the communities savory.

I just want to point out, that if some people saw the budget and development time of Elder Scrolls VI or Red Dead Redemption 2 they'd probably declare those games mismanaged scams, too.

Rockstar budgets are probably what drive those Take-Two executives insane.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

So I guess this is a confirmation that you're just here trolling because you think it's fun to see people get defensive when people throw around inaccurate claims or unsubstantially calling the thing a scam etc.

It still somewhat surprises me that people on this forum don't really understand how long games these days take to make. But this game isn't some annualized product that iterates on a game before it, nor does it have 1000 people working on it.

Right. It's an ambitious product that pushes the envelope in some 20 different ways with regards to texturing, design, and modeling if nothing else. In the past four years, they had to rebuild the engine, build their own additions to the engine, design, model, and texture thousands of cubic kilometers of things, while also getting the voice acting and character models -- from real world actors no less -- in a way that isn't very common (and, if memory serves, was the first time it's been used for gaming in the first place), and it appears to be working very well in alpha stages...for what should be the HARDEST thing they're trying to do.

All while employing fewer people than a AAA company generally does for games a hundredth of its scope -- games that ship buggy and incomplete at four years else buggy and incomplete while also using no new models or textures.

Like, it's impressive that they've gotten here in four years from ...scratch. Literally scratch.

Kinyou

You're right, there's definitely a conspiracy. It's not that they've brought the distrust of many upon themselves through multiple confusing debacles; it's the internet who is actively going out of its way to go after them and bring them down.
I mean... Derek Smarts definitely is and he's usually leading the charge on any accusation

You sure like telling me what I am or what I'm not, huh?

Just in the last fifteen minutes I've found out that I'm:
- A contradiction wrapped in a contradiction.
- Not the communities savory.

Now i hurt your feelings? and you're trying to change the subject. You're amazing.

Brazil

So I guess this is a confirmation that you're just here trolling because you think it's fun to see people get defensive when people throw around inaccurate claims or unsubstantially calling the thing a scam etc.

I literally never said anything about any inaccurate claims nor called the game a scam.

I mean... Derek Smarts definitely is and he's usually leading the charge on any accusation

That dude is sick; I'll give you that.

Crossing Eden

"It just seems like all these features they're adding is feature creep. Man they keep scrapping builds and the alphas are so glitchy. When is this ambitious game going to get done? It's been *insert arbitrary number here* amount of years." etc. etc. etc.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I literally never said anything about any inaccurate claims nor called the game a scam.

Dude, come on. The thing you've posted in the thread goes in the ETC part of my post

Looking forward to when, next month, their lack of transparency urges the community to react negatively to some weird shit they're doing and end up having to clarify for the millionth time.

You're right, there's definitely a conspiracy. It's not that they've brought the distrust of many upon themselves through multiple confusing debacles; it's the internet who is actively going out of its way to go after them and bring them down.

What did you even try to accomplish with posts like these if you have no interest in the company?

Crossing Eden

I remember that. Thanks.
You've still not elaborated on that statement. All you've said was "you guys just don't understand what i'm saying." Because it was such a ridiculous statement to make and your posts have no sense of coherency at all. Literally all you've done is condescending act like you're just above all of this while being yet another example of how often unsubstantiated claims are uttered in SC thread.

"It just seems like all these features they're adding is feature creep. Man they keep scrapping builds and the alphas are so glitchy. When is this ambitious game going to get done? It's been *insert arbitrary number here* amount of years." etc. etc. etc.

Cross Eden, did these people not Waypoints article? https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/4w33ed/why-its-so-hard-to-make-a-video-game

They should. Then they have to understand how NOT long CIG has been around.

It's like people don't actual read the stuff in game development related threads. Or aren't or did not wait and complain about Beyond good and evil, Fallout 4, Skyrim, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts...etc for years.

Did people forget about those games and those are single games. This is two games, being done by CIG.

Crossing Eden

Literally no one on this page has understood you. So please, elaborate.

Cross Eden, did these people not Waypoints article? https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/4w33ed/why-its-so-hard-to-make-a-video-game

They should. Then they have to understand how NOT long CIG has been around.

It's like people don't actual read the stuff in game development related threads. Or aren't or did not wait and complain about Beyond good and evil, Fallout 4, Skyrim, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts...etc for years.

Did people forget about those games and those are single games. This is two games, being done by CIG.
With almost nothing as a basis to iterate on since so many of the game's systems are unique in the gaming space as well as the scope being quite ambitious.

Devil's advocate. Does this statement now make how long this thing is taking to release, and supposedly how much money it has received over the years, a non-issue?

Adnor

Banned
Devil's advocate. Does this statement now make how long this thing is taking to release, and supposedly how much money it has received over the years, a non-issue?

Long development has never been a real issue, especially when they show progress constantly.

4 years is really not that long compared to other AAA games.

Crossing Eden

A game is a reality when you can pick up its complete version.
The fact that you expected people to glean that from that post....

The last game Rockstar released was four years ago and they just delayed their new game with a huge multi million dozen budget that has hardly any screens or footage Is that an issue indicating that the development is an outlier in the industry? We live in a time where four years is the average time it takes for a triple A game to get made let alone a new IP or substantially overhauled sequel. Consider that an incredibly linear game like Hellblade which is only 5-8 hours long took three years to make and needed a delay. Game development unless it's an incredibly iterative sequel is taking longer and longer because games are getting so much more complex than last gen. What's annoying about this is that it only seems to get brought up in SC threads, which is even odder considering let's be honest, it's one of the most ambitious games being made right now because of the scope.

I backed this game over two years ago thinking it would be out by now, understandable considering the initial release dates said so.

I got to a point where I just assumed it is never coming out. If it does, Im happy, if it doesnt, I'm not surprised.

Literally no one on this page has understood you. So please, elaborate.

With almost nothing as a basis to iterate on since so many of the game's systems are unique in the gaming space as well as the scope being quite ambitious.

Exactly. Plus their own internal problems and growing pains as a young studio. With no publisher and a community to listen to and receive money from as per their understanding for a finished product. While also keeping their employee's happy. Hence their reorganization.

Even with the clarification both sides manage to continue to drag it out, good stuff.

So many in the previous thread seemed to almost be willing to bet their life on the loan news being the apparent final nail in the coffin.

The mental gymnastics people are doing in this thread claiming this is normal is hilarious.

Wanna know another company that tried to pull this of? 38 Studios, and we all know how well that went. In the end, their deal fell through because Schilling either couldn't or didn't want to put up enough collateral. But the context is similar, both companies were running on fumes and this is an an act of desperation. This is one of the worst possible ways to secure funding.

Whether or not CIG can recover from this is debatable. I personally doubt it, as it means CIG would have to push out SQ42 within the next couple of months and sell millions of copies on top of their existing pre-orders. CIG's future is looking pretty bleak.

I backed this game over two years ago thinking it would be out by now, understandable considering the initial release dates said so.

I got to a point where I just assumed it is never coming out. If it does, Im happy, if it doesnt, I'm not surprised.

Unfortunately the initial release date. Was always just estimates, as they are stated on kickstarter -you guys know how this goes or at least should know that and also unfortunately the scope grow, as they got more money from the community. When in 2013 and into 2014 they stopped doing stretch goal. But ultimately their crowdfunding was just a extension.

Because at first they were crowd funding on their old site way back in 2012 or mid that year. Then they switched to Kickstarter after publisher's turned them down or didn't did the pull or weren't offering enough freedom.

Dmax3901

The mental gymnastics people are doing in this thread claiming this is normal is hilarious.

Wanna know another company that tried to pull this of? 38 Studios, and we all know how well that went. In the end, their deal fell through because Schilling either couldn't or didn't want to put up enough collateral. But the context is similar, both companies were running on fumes and this is an an act of desperation. This is one of the worst possible ways to secure funding.

Whether or not CIG can recover from this is debatable. I personally doubt it, as it means CIG would have to push out SQ42 within the next couple of months and sell millions of copies on top of their existing pre-orders. CIG's future is looking pretty bleak.

What? Did you read the OP?

Crossing Eden

It's already been explained how this is normal and actually beneficial multiple times ITT. Care to use specifics about how it's not?

Top Bottom