• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen's StarEngine Demo

Utherellus

Bro. They casually reached unprecedented milestone in game development history.

RDT-20240324-0229256146423224193002976.webp

They are testing 800 people on single shard. Reportedly server speed was holding 30fps

Buggy Loop

Bro. They casually reached unprecedented milestone in game development history.

RDT-20240324-0229256146423224193002976.webp

They are testing 800 people on single shard. Reportedly server speed was holding 30fps

I didn’t even know they would have multiple servers (4 now?) on a single server so soon. And apparently they switched between 2 and 4 live?

This is a HUGE step towards dynamic server meshing holy shit.

Buggy Loop

Yes and no. Static meshing is being tested by the public over the weekend but dynamic server meshing and it being "released" into a live build won't be until later this year

Still even static server meshing like they did is a world first. There’s many MMOs who call their solution server meshing but it would be more like server stitching. None of them have ever showcased handle a seamless experience of transferring object authority between two without latency/downtime. Turned based kind of hide this with queuing anyway but in a space sim with bullets and weapons in real time, it’s a gargantuan leap in technology.

I hope we see it live by summer. Just having server fps ticks at 30 fps with so many players, mind boggling QOL improvement.

This will change MMOs forever and the mad lads at CIG are the engineers behind it.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Squadron 42 when?
This is the real deal because for all the tech might SC showcases, SQ42 is atleast feature complete and in a state of polishing. Being much smaller in scope but powered by the same Star Engine tech means this is the product to watch for to get a finalized game in place.

SQ42 is also the game i figure would be able to run on consoles considering its scope.

Buggy Loop

Crazy they kept the Idris so long

This is the only game I can think of that you have player controlled capital ships with players inside with ships inside the ship…

The ship launching from the bay is very SQ42 esque.

Orgs that will be well organized and crewed with major ships like these will be a force to reckon.

Last edited:

Hudo

This is the real deal because for all the tech might SC showcases, SQ42 is atleast feature complete and in a state of polishing. Being much smaller in scope but powered by the same Star Engine tech means this is the product to watch for to get a finalized game in place.

SQ42 is also the game i figure would be able to run on consoles considering its scope.
I mean, SQ42 has always been the only thing I've been interested in. I am not really into the whole MMO stuff CIG want to push. I can understand why they do that but I just wanted a new Wing Commander (or Freelancer).

nemiroff

Gold Member
Watching people experiment with the server meshing test is pretty cool. I just saw "Ollie" finding the server edges and demonstrate how you can have two ships, one in each server and you can still see each other as if you're on the same server. Also bullets shot from a weapon crosses the server borders (as shown earlier), so if you shoot at a ship at/in another server, in theory you should be able to hit it (targeting doesn't work in this test though).

I guess in theory you can dedicate servers to as big or small area as you want and virtually remove hard limits on the number of players you can have in the same universe. You could be the only one in a session or an area, or there could be thousands (or perhaps even hundreds of thousands..) without you ever forced to notice (the sandbox experience itself sort of decides this). A smooth server meshing experience coupled with persistent entity streaming will be genre defining.

I mean, SQ42 has always been the only thing I've been interested in. I am not really into the whole MMO stuff CIG want to push. I can understand why they do that but I just wanted a new Wing Commander (or Freelancer).

I understand what you mean. And me too, I definitely backed it for "SQ42". But for what it's worth, I usually can't stand MMOs either, and I'm wary of interacting with other players. But when I've played SC solo (pausing for 3.23 Live, I can't stand the current outdated map system), to me it doesn't feel much like an "MMO". I have enough space to muck about on my own, I do my own missions and don't have to deal much with other players, if at all.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I concur. I feel SQ42, because of its reduced ambition, has a far bigger chance on selling itself and SC then SC does. The recent gameplay footage looked amazing to me. But it maybe also has something to do with me loving singleplayer campaigns.

In that aspect i am as excited for SQ42 as i was for CP2077. I feel SQ42 has a much bigger chance of releasing shortly than SC does.

Incredible dream game! It’s like all the genres together like it should be for an open world game. I would like to have this typ of game but with fantasy settings with humans orca goblins dwarfs elves undead so on. With 10.000 caves 1000 of enemies lots of cities

Buggy Loop

New UI.

James Franco GIF

All these QOL changes are so welcomed. Going into inventory and looting something/someone was just not an intuitive experience.
I would say that, and this is feedback from evocati tests too, that the shadow drop in the text is maybe a tad too much, it makes the text a bit hard to read. But still an immense step up.

From that visor video, new lighting engine or new AO or new shadow? Could be the result of their software RT

Slide to compare old and new

Fauna confirmed for 3.23

Evocati map and mobiglass test leaked

8sm4humso2rc1.jpeg

ysue7gxcoyqc1.jpeg

3.23 is insane

Last edited:

LordBritish

I put about $35 back in the day in this game to get the fps shooter with the game... probably about 3 years ago..
I really want to play it but it seems barren.... change my mind.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
I put about $35 back in the day in this game to get the fps shooter with the game... probably about 3 years ago..
I really want to play it but it seems barren.... change my mind.
I will not change your mind - Outer Wilds is best space game, period.

But $35 is a great price for what you get, especially in future. It's like investment.
I myself invested about $75 (Origin 125A ship) and not planing invest anything because I got everything I want. Big ships are IMO bad for exploration that is my point of playing this game. It take so much time to enter/exit ship so I'm not interested in those big expensive ships at all.

manfestival

booted the game up to see how it performed with my new monster rig but the game still feels like doodoo. Now I am convinced that those that are like "yeah I have 60fps" are trolling since im running a 13900k and 4090 and barely getting that. I know that much of the performance is tied to the server but its still absolutely dog.

Buggy Loop

booted the game up to see how it performed with my new monster rig but the game still feels like doodoo. Now I am convinced that those that are like "yeah I have 60fps" are trolling since im running a 13900k and 4090 and barely getting that. I know that much of the performance is tied to the server but its still absolutely dog.

Next API updates like vulkan that will transfer a bunch of stuffs on CPU to GPU and official DLSS and Frame gen will absolutely help. You’re basically playing right now with the same graphic engine limits as 2018 or so if not further down than that.

Buggy Loop

A bomb (a nuke really)

Can't even believe that a bomb would have this effect so far away. They need to tweak the response but for reacting to like a mini nuke is already unexpected, going from physics at a small scale like a ship to a freaking lake jumping up from a bomb is not something I expected them to scale the physics in.

New launcher 2.0

The baldy looks into server meshing

Last edited:
Top Bottom