• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star exhibits strange light patterns which could be a sign of alien activity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it means that the star's brightness is dipping, meaning something is passing in front of the star.

004.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
Let us say aliens were around this star. Ten years from now they arrive here, and ask for three items that best represent human culture before they leave.

You are chosen to lead the group tasked with picking these items. What do you choose?

Patrick S.

Banned
Let us say aliens were around this star. Ten years from now they arrive here, and ask for three items that best represent human culture before they leave.

You are chosen to lead the group tasked with picking these items. What do you choose?

Gun, dollar bill, condom.

Atlas157

1. The Dark Side of the Moon
2. Terminator 2: Judgment Day
3. Neil deGrasse Tyson

A sword
A plant
A telescope

phanphare

Banned

plastic, oil, and a bomb

Telescope. A diagram of carbon. A large painting of the evolutionary tree of life.

crazyprac

Wait... There's an update on this story?? Shit what I miss? Is it aliens?!?! Or just a form of mass circling the planet... Aka a moon? 😑

liquidtmd

Banned

Dollar bill
A grave stone
One of our comparably shit space ships

Three pigs labelled 1, 2, and 4.

ced

I hate to be that person but shouldn't this question just be its own thread? I'm sure now this thread will be full of dicks, dildos and trumps.

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
Wait... There's an update on this story?? Shit what I miss? Is it aliens?!?! Or just a form of mass circling the planet... Aka a moon? 😑

We have no idea what is, but we've never been able to observe a dip as it's happening. Depending on the telescopes that we can get with an eye on this, this will give us a lot more information about what might be causing these massive dips.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure they've totally ruled out it being a Moon?

Like the entire reason for the interest here is that it doesn't display any kind of pattern, which I imagine a moon orbiting a celestial body would have.

ced

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure they've totally ruled out it being a Moon?

Like the entire reason for the interest here is that it doesn't display any kind of pattern, which I imagine a moon orbiting a celestial body would have.

Correct, pretty much anything except interstellar material has been ruled out. I guess Aliens hasn't but we shouldn't invoke aliens jus because we can't explain something yet.

Glad they're getting some data again.

ced

So what's different about what they're observing now than what they had observed originally?

The previous dips were found by people digging through old Kepler data, its last dip was actually occurring when Kepler went offline.

Now they have telescopes etc watching it in real time and collecting data.

Poppy

me and my two cats

get me the hell out of here

KoopaTheCasual

]Correct, pretty much anything except interstellar material has been ruled out.[/B] I guess Aliens hasn't but we shouldn't invoke aliens jus because we can't explain something yet.

Glad they're getting some data again.
Holy shit.

So whatever we discover is causing this bound to be a groundbreaking discovering (let's not assume aliens). Probably some previously unobserved phenomenon.

Only issue is how do we realistically figure out what is actually causing these dips? =/

John Dunbar

correct about everything

thor 2: the dark world on dvd, blu-ray and vhs.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Holy shit.

So whatever we discover is causing this bound to be a groundbreaking discovering (let's not assume aliens). Probably some previously unobserved phenomenon.

Only issue is how do we realistically figure out what is actually causing these dips? =/

We cut taxes for the rich and then the rich will trickle down funding to scientific research.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Oh man. Do we really want Trump in the White House when we make first contact? They'll never come back.

Airola

1. Piss in a jar.
2. Shit in a jar.
3. Trump's picture with the word "God" written on it.

And when they are gone we'd have a hearty laugh and people finally come together since we have symbolically given the weight on our shoulders for other galactical cultures to wonder. It's the ultimate practical joke and it will create world peace.

Velcro, bacon floss, and a phat joint.

jayu26

Let's science this shit up. At very least I am hoping for something with weird orbit around the star.

They better have a mom named Martha on there or Batman gonna fuck their shit up.
Don't worry, Martha just has to be the name of alien's Earth mother. Batman is not that picky.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
TLDR for newcomers: the news is that the dip in light is happening in real time, which means we can read spectra data as it comes in. Which theoretically should tell us what the thing(s) blocking the light is made of.

Voidwolf

The Empire Strikes Back
Ocarina of Time
Fidget Spinner

Can't have them thinking we're perfect.

gutshot

A celestial body orbiting a star is not a moon. It's a planet. But you are correct that that has been ruled out because the dips are a) irregular and b) enormously large.

For example, Jupiter, the largest planet in our solar system, blocks only about 1% of the light from our Sun. The dimming recorded here is blocking upwards of 22% of the light.

Couldn't it be just the stars are just dimming due to dying or something like that?

A dying star would slowly get dimmer over time, not suddenly dim and then brighten again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom