• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox 64 releases on NA Wii U Virtual Console tomorrow

Madao

NoA looks so embarrasing trying to catch up at the last minute.

this game was out in JP and EU VC like, 1.5 years ago?

delaying these games for no reason ended up losing them sales. serves them right for being a bunch of incompetent fools at running VC.

Nairume

Banned
After that, all that will be missing that was on the Wii's 64 VC will be Bomberman Hero, Cruis'n USA, Ogre Battle, Pokemon Puzzle League, and Smash Bros.

Sooooo, maybe we'll be seeing PPL and Smash soon.

RedToad64

NoA looks so embarrasing trying to catch up at the last minute.

this game was out in JP and EU VC like, 1.5 years ago?

delaying these games for no reason ended up losing them sales. serves them right for being a bunch of incompetent fools at running VC.
Released in Japan and Europe alongside SF Zero, I think.

Esque7

I think they're doing this so that we can transfer our purchases to Switch. Or, they're just super incompetent with VC releases. Probably both reasons lol.

Madao

Released in Japan and Europe alongside SF Zero, I think.

oh, less than a year but still stupid.

they even lost sales because having it coincide with SFZero would have made people impulse double dip.

i wonder what even goes through NoA's meetings when deciding this.

Another upgrade for me. Can we get Super Smash Bros next week?

i think SSB64 hasn't been released in any territory on Wii U VC. do you really think NoA would be first to release it?

Pyrokai

Yes! I can finally pay the upgrade fee since I have it on regular Wii VC and this means I'll be able to get it on Switch!

I'm more than positive that MyNintendo knows which Wii U VC and 3DS VC titles we have, so then will Switch as well. If it's only on regular Wii VC, you're SOL for whatever upgrade system they have and you'll probably have to rebuy it. This is why I am hoping they keep putting out missing titles from Wii U VC. I'm thinking they're trying to catch up with N64 since there were barely any in regular Wii VC anyway.

RedToad64

After that, all that will be missing that was on the Wii's 64 VC will be Bomberman Hero, Cruis'n USA, Ogre Battle, Pokemon Puzzle League, and Smash Bros.

Sooooo, maybe we'll be seeing PPL and Smash soon.
Yeah, I am expecting Puzzle League and Smash Bros. within the next two weeks.

I think they're doing this so that we can transfer our purchases to Switch. Or, they're just super incompetent with VC releases. Probably both reasons lol.
I'm going to assume it's a mixture of both; yeah.

I think I'd rather just wait until they're out on the Switch at this point tbh, especially since it sounds like there's going to be a fee to get Wii U VC games on Switch.

CazTGG

So how long do we expect it to be before it shows up on the Nintendo Switch Virtual Console?

My guess is three years in North America, two in Europe and one and a half in Japan.

Gestault

I still don't understand why VC releases weren't used to help promote sequels in those game series. This would have been timed well with the last Starfox game.

Alphahawk

I wonder if they delayed the release intentionally to try to prop up Star Fox Zero sales (Isn't that game essentially a S64 remake?).

Pyrokai

I think I'd rather just wait until they're out on the Switch at this point tbh, especially since it sounds like there's going to be a fee to get Wii U VC games on Switch.

If you have it on Wii, you might want to upgrade. I don't think Switch will know which ones you bought there, but it'll know which ones you've bought on Wii U.

So how long do we expect it to be before it shows up on the Nintendo Switch Virtual Console?

My guess is three years in North America, two in Europe and one and a half in Japan.

Probably before PS4 gets PS1 games, that's for sure. I thought Nintendo was bad at handling classic games when I had a Wii U but Sony has shown me a new low with the PS4.

That said what the hell is the point of releasing VC on a completely dead and buried console? I guess just for the Switch VC upgrade plans.

Madao

This wasn't out already?

I still don't understand why VC releases weren't used to help promote sequels in those game series. This would have been timed well with the last Starfox game.

I wonder if they delayed the release intentionally to try to prop up Star Fox Zero sales (Isn't that game essentially a S64 remake?).

this game was released day and date with SFZero in Japan and Europe. NoA decided to be stupid and hold it back for no reason.

Alphahawk

If you have it on Wii, you might want to upgrade. I don't think Switch will know which ones you bought there, but it'll know which ones you've bought on Wii U.

I would caution you not to buy this expecting it to be on the Switch, Just cause Nintendo has a way to track your purchase doesn't necessarily mean that it'll transfer over.

this game was released day and date with SFZero in Japan and Europe. NoA decided to be stupid and hold it back for no reason.

Was it dumb though, I could see people potentially reading the reviews for Zero and purchasing Star Fox 64 instead.

Justinh

Eh, I think if I wanna play Star Fox now, I'll just play it on my 3DS.

The way the releases are trickled out for these old games kinda put me off from Virtual Console after being so into it during the Wii days.

Sneaky Nintendo. Trying to get their diehard fans to buy games on the Wii U, when you know they'll charge you again in 2 months when their next system comes out. You almost got me!

Pyrokai

I would caution you not to buy this expecting it to be on the Switch, Just cause Nintendo has a way to track your purchase doesn't necessarily mean that it'll transfer over.

Right, but I'm confident they'll at least do the upgrade system again for games that release on Switch. Why wouldn't they do that again? It's even easier this time than it was from Wii to Wii U.

SerTapTap

Can't wait to play this in 5 years when it hits switch and nintendo's next console is imminently awaiting release.

Okay see at this point it would be nice to know how the Switch transfer process is going to work.

Or if there will be a process. I mean, I'd be so down with buying it with the right details.

Right, but I'm confident they'll at least do the upgrade system again for games that release on Switch. Why wouldn't they do that again? It's even easier this time than it was from Wii to Wii U.

Reggie-Fils-Aime.jpg
Nintendo

Opa-Pa

Oh god, I'm so used to Nintendo's nonsense with VC that only now I realized it took them almost 5 years to release fucking SF64.

Top Bottom