• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Zero & Guard - Review Thread

After hearing talk of the game since review copies went out and from seeing gameplay, I'm not too surprised the reviews are less than stellar. Still looks like decent fun, though.

Scores seem to be at the right range. Hopefully it finds its audience.

Rail shooters are a genre of their time in my opinion. I loved Star Fox 64 back in the day, but I don't really enjoy any more and it's because it's a rail shooter that I don't enjoy it.

It's the only genre that tend to pass or dislike in games that have sections like that.

jonjonaug

A 2-3 hour game with massive replay value shouldn't be treated as a 2-3 hour game. That's actually a bit longer than I expected the full campaign to be.

I could call Revengence a 5 hour game or Contra a 30 minute game and neither of those would be really true.

Reviews in the 7 range were about what I expected. I'm still excited to play on Friday, I just hope I can get acclimated to the controls quickly.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
"It's the Star Fox game you wanted...in 2002." LOL

Heh, that's actually a positive to me. I've wanted a game like this since SF64. It took a looooong time, but it's finally here. SF64 is as fun today as it was in 1997 to me, so I should enjoy SF0 just fine. :)

EDIT: I read the whole Giant Bomb review and it actually makes me more excited. It really sounds like people dislike the game for what it isn't (a "modern" AAA experience) rather than for what it is (Starfox 64-2).

Warxard

Banned
Guess I'm sticking with 64 3D and Assault.

Always felt 64 was more or less the peak of the series. The world of Star Fox was always more interesting to explore, which is why I sort of appreciate games like Adventures and Command despite their lack of quality.

roytheone

The point is the GB are raggin on a lot of games, and yet they can play through 30mins of utter shit that is being peddled for $15 as a joke, and give it a positive impression.

People seem to give a lot of credence to GB, and I don't get it.

Yeah, I get your point, sorry.

Dudes on the Internet have a different taste in games then another dude on the Internet. More at 11!

Sakura

A 2-3 hour game with massive replay value shouldn't be treated as a 2-3 hour game. That's actually a bit longer than I expected the full campaign to be.

I could call Revengence a 5 hour game or Contra a 30 minute game and neither of those would be really true.

Yea... I mean, I can get from the start of the game to the credits in DOAX3 in less than an hour. But I've played through it like 50 times lol.

I agree with this sentiment.

Jackano

I'm not surprised. Development looked pretty strange (would not say chaotic). Never ends good.
The bad news is, this definitely puts Starfox as a C tiers franchise. I mean pretty low in Nintendo's portfolio, and for an IP this old.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I'm so torn. I've been wanting Star Fox 64 2 since I was a kid, but I can't stand Gyro controls. It's going to really sting passing on this one. :(

KingBroly

Banned

You can't guarantee that people will replay it, though. That's kinda the problem with how Star Fox is setup, unless they went a downloadable, episodic route.

PK Gaming

Expected, but still disappointing. I'd jump in if the game had multiplayer or even different playable characters w/ different stats, but it's just Star Fox 64 repackaged.

But what do I know, my favorite Star Fox game is Star Fox Assault, lmao

Ouch. I still had hope that Zero would surprise everyone...

This is one of those games/IPs that everyone wants to succeed, and it's so disappointing that Star Fox isn't having a big triumphant return, especially after such a long dev cycle.

Yea... I mean, I can get from the start of the game to the credits in DOAX3 in less than an hour. But I've played through it like 50 times lol.
Honestly though, you can beat SF64 in 3 hours as well. Beating every planet to me is more of a valid time to measure the game which I guess is 10ish?

Nemesis_

Honestly this is to be expected. Didn't think this would set the world on fire, it's very much like your typical Platinum Game.

It's a review thread, no one is going to actually bother reading reviews or look for context in the headlines :p

Sad to see that it looked like my concerns about the controls were accurate. Passing on this one, I'm a casual Starfox fan at best, was mostly only interested in it because of Platinum's involvement.
Yeah, you have a point. :p

J@hranimo

Banned
Ouch. I still had hope that Zero would surprise everyone...

This is one of those games/IPs that everyone wants to succeed, and it's so disappointing that Star Fox isn't having a big triumphant return, especially after such a long dev cycle.

Nope, most people who were going to get it decided about a month or so ago. Reviews were going to be polarizing, mixed, jarring and overall somewhat bring the "lol motion controls" people in the thread. It was inevitable.

raven777

Cgfst8jUkAINz-N.jpg:large

Warxard

Banned
Expected, but still disappointing. I'd jump in if the game had multiplayer or even different playable characters w/ different stats, but it's just Star Fox 64 repackaged.

Don't even feel ashamed about that. Star Fox Assault is awesome!

Lunar15

Weirdly I went back to Assault and enjoyed it more than this, lol.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The reviews are pretty in line with what I already thought about this game based on the videos. At this point I'm rather inclined to get Guard, but even for that I'm not so sure. Unfortunately Wii U keeps getting mediocre Nintendo games, what a sad end ...

And the people who keep quoting that GB title and go "this is what I want!" maybe should try to read beyond the title of an article from time to time.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member

The game was made in about 2 years. It's a very short cycle.

Shiggy

The reviews are pretty in line with what I already thought about this game based on the videos. At this point I'm rather inclined to get Guard, but even for that I'm not so sure. Unfortunately Wii U keeps getting mediocre Nintendo games, what a sad end ...

What other mediocre games?

SerTapTap

Seems the gamepad controls were a poor inclusion.

I don't mind gyro aim assist but actually looking at the gamepad sounds pretty painful. I'll still pick this up though.

What other mediocre games?

Almost everything last year that wasn't splatoon or mario maker. Mario Party, tennis, amiibo festival, devil's third, arguably Xenoblade X though it's more of a "not as good as the last one" case

tesqui

hmmm I'm thinking about picking up Star Fox 3DS instead of this now. Never played original N64 one. Loved SNES one.

Alpha_eX

"forced reliance on the Gamepad's screen and motion controls cause it to barrel roll right into mediocrity."

Is it really that bad? I went as far as hacking my Wii to play Donkey Kong Country without shaking to roll.. this makes me worried.

regardless of how replayable a campaign is, it's as long as it takes to get from the start to the finish. Revengence was a 5 hours game for me, for instance, as was vanquish but i still liked those games.

plus, even if you took branching paths into account it's not like they add a whole lot of time if Star Fox 64 is anything to go on. Maybe an extra hour tops
"forced reliance on the Gamepad's screen and motion controls cause it to barrel roll right into mediocrity."

Is it really that bad? I went as far as hacking my Wii to play Donkey Kong Country without shaking to roll.. this makes me worried.

from the GB review
While the GamePad functionality leaves a lot to be desired, it can be almost entirely ignored in most situations. I’d recommend setting the controls to “Motion Control only when pressing ZR,” and focusing on the main screen only. By doing that, it feels like a traditional Star Fox experience outside of the few times it requires you to look down (when controlling a little robot in an effort to hack a panel, for instance).

Top Bottom