• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Online - Official Announce Trailer | PS4/XB1

Shauni

Lol, some of these posts. I can see rushing to post without reading the OP is a trend that's alive and well here.

So... since we're all here anyways, anyone have any guides as a total noob to the game to get started, and whether or not the starter packs are worth it if someone does enjoy the game?

I think this is great. Love Star Trek, hate playing with a KB/M so this is perfect for me to finally give it a try, hopefully I like it.

Either way, I see a lot of people shitting on it, but why? People shit on Indies coming to PS4 and ports, or remasters. The more games and options the better. If people would have been as vocal a couple years ago maybe we'd have EA Access as well.

Big Star Trek fan and would really like to try this out, ever since that one Star Trek game that came out when the 360 launched I've been dying for some kind of Star Trek game to play that allows me to control my own ship.

Memory

I have a friend who plays this constantly on PC, he always talks shit about it but then his steam icon pops up and he is back at it again lol.

I tried it but I really didn't feel it, I might give it another shot. I have tons of free ships and crap on my account I think, I wonder if I can transfer it.

m_dorian

Played the game for 6 months.
Terrible business model unless you have time to grind, then again some useful subsystems you could add to your ship are gambled through lockboxes.
Space combat is fine though in latest expansions it is purposefully more difficult because they want you to buy ships.
Ground combat is total trash.
There are some great quests early in the game, it was then that i had the most of the fun.
Later missions -the Voyager ones- suck. It also has Neelix so avoid.

Lagamorph

I mean it's a pretty bad MMO.
I wouldn't call it bad, though it's not amazing as an MMO by any means.
If you go in as a single player story game though it's fantastic if you're a trek fan. The only time you ever really need to go into the MMO elements are for group missions which are entirely optional and not needed to progress.

End game is also a LOT less grindy than it used to be.

Darth Sonik

we need more FPS games
I had loads of fun playing this a couple of years ago. The space combat was quite good and I even enjoyed a lot of the grinding activities.

I'm not a MMO player but I liked that you can treat this as a huge single player game. The story isn't amazing but its got plenty of trek fan-service. I even enjoyed some the fan made story quests.

The FTP business model suited me fine, as I could live without the premium shit. If you are a Star Trek fan it is definitely worth checking out.

Epcott

May end up an ok game to play when there's nothing better to do, even though the trailer made it look as boring as PS Home.

Parsnip

I played STO way back when, and then some more when it went free to play.
There's something there with the space combat, but god damn it the ground combat is shiit.
Looking at the trailer, they haven't done a lot of work on it on the visual side.
Better lighting isn't going to do a lot when your base game is as old as this is and it wasn't really a looker even when it was brand new.

These are my memories.

sto-runningman.gif

ReaperXL7

Cross platform play or I ain't touching it.

Console MMOs without cross play are ghost towns.

Always been bit interested in this though. Was a big trek guy

That's actually not true at all. Elder scrolls and Warframe have fairly large console player bases, as did DC universe even before the server merge with PC (SOE mentioned a long time ago that the console player base was larger then on PC) and even Onigiri is very active and that's a real rough game. F2P MMOs seem to do quite well on consoles as far as all of the information I've ever seen.

I never thought this would come to consoles being as old as it is but Some of the reading that I have done suggests the devs have added lots of content to the game. This actually may have shot up to near the top of my most anticipated list as I'm a huge Star Trek fan and I tend to enjoy MMos. Hopefully the wait won't be too long.

SpaceHorror

I played for a bit on PC when it first came out, but haven't really tried it since. I've heard it has gotten better so I'll probably give it a shot.

Top Bottom