• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Dark Forces Remaster announced by Nightdive Studios. Coming to PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Series S|X, Switch and PC (Steam)

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
0bxpcT2.gif

MiguelItUp

U know, it’s amazing. PC Gamer voted this the greatest game of all time back when it was new, but I don’t think a single person has mentioned it in over 20 years.
I definitely have as I've wanted another Jedi Knight sequel for decades, lmao.

I'd be totally okay with them going in order, so Jedi Knight next, and then Jedi Outcast, etc. I still want a new Jedi Knight, but I highly doubt we'll ever get that.

RickMasters

YES! I never got to play this back in the day. Can finally add it to my collection of vintage 90s fPS. Ive bought all the retro ports (turok, shadow warrior etc....still dipping into missions on quake 1 and 2 every now and again). hope they do the first and second unreal at some point. all the legendary 90s FPS need to be preserved and readily available on all platforms.

This is probably the first FPS I played. Maybe Rise of Triad.. I don't remember.

I'd be totally okay with them going in order, so Jedi Knight next, and then Jedi Outcast, etc. I still want a new Jedi Knight, but I highly doubt we'll ever get that.

Yeah, a sequel to Jedi Knight sounds cool to me, but then I remember Jedi Academy exists and forget about wanting that. I don't like the direction they went with the games at all. I don't even know if there is much point in them remastering JK aside from trying to siphon money, there exists a nice remaster package out there already.

U know, it’s amazing. PC Gamer voted this the greatest game of all time back when it was new, but I don’t think a single person has mentioned it in over 20 years.
It is awesome. The multiplayer scene was awesome - amazing custom levels and mods.. loved that game for a long time. Just replayed it earlier this year. Classic game that feels so good and there's something about that old level design and architecture that looks so good to me.

Allandor

Dark Forces... First time I read of a remaster of the "doom killer".
Well was a great game of that time, but for the current time, it might be extremely short. It didn't have that many levels although I played it a long long time.

Well if they remaster this game, maybe they will also remaster other games of the Dark Forces engine. Yes, I mean you Outlaws & Jedi Knight :)

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

This is probably the first FPS I played. Maybe Rise of Triad.. I don't remember.

Yeah, a sequel to Jedi Knight sounds cool to me, but then I remember Jedi Academy exists and forget about wanting that. I don't like the direction they went with the games at all. I don't even know if there is much point in them remastering JK aside from trying to siphon money, there exists a nice remaster package out there already.

It is awesome. The multiplayer scene was awesome - amazing custom levels and mods.. loved that game for a long time. Just replayed it earlier this year. Classic game that feels so good and there's something about that old level design and architecture that looks so good to me.
Honestly, Kyle Katarn returning or bust. I feel like that's the biggest issue they had with Academy's campaign. They tried going the "create a jedi" route, which I can understand the appeal, but it definitely wasn't the strongest path of all the games.

The multiplayer in all the games always shined, and that's something I'd love to see in a new engine.

Danknugz

i rmemebr when this came out and my friend had a pentium pc that could run doom full screen at what seemed like more than 30 fps at the time and it blew my mind. he also was raving about this dark forces game he shoplifted. i rmemebr playing it and being pretty underwhelmed, at the time it seemed just like another doom clone to me, corridor 7 vibes.

that said i just read about this now and it's good news to see more older FPS getting this treatment. i'll play those game all day over the trash that passes as games today.

Last edited:

Krathoon

I love it when they upgrade it like this. Just tweak it up. Still keep it lower res and retro.
Nightdive has been doing a great job keeping the original atmosphere of the game.

Scotty W

Gold Member

I only ever played the demo on an ancient PC, with keyboard only controls. I would be interested in playing today.

It could probably be argued that this was the last showing of the true Star Wars, before the prequels tarnished that image. The mystique never returned.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Jedi Knight is Dark Forces II.

The series went:

Dark Forces
Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith
Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Jedi Academy

Yep. You're right. Not sure how I made that mistake! I'm going to correct that now.

Stuart360

Oh don't say that, it's the one game I actually want..

After Tomb Raider turned out to be good, I have faith though. Nightdive have been pretty good getting these classics out.

I can't actually remember a duff one they did.
There remasters have been great overall, BUT they did mess up the Blade Runner remaster and they seemed to abandon it pretty quickly too.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Nah this will be good bud, all their fps remasters have been top class.

Cant wait for this, mainly for controller support on PC.
Aye I don't think there's one I haven't bought yet and i've enjoyed reliving them all, it's probably why I purged Bladerunner from my memory :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I did try Dark Forces on the Steam Deck, with a tiny bit of tinkering it seems to work quite well with the controller

..I'm still buying the remaster though. Can't wait.

Fake

There remasters have been great overall, BUT they did mess up the Blade Runner remaster and they seemed to abandon it pretty quickly too.

Rise of the Triad as well. The game is OK, but with a couple of bugs and more important, the game DON'T SAVE YOUR OPTIONS.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I mentioned it just the other day. Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II would be awesome if they have the original shots the FMV was made from and can remaster them in 4K.

Scotty W

Gold Member
I mentioned it just the other day. Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II would be awesome if they have the original shots the FMV was made from and can remaster them in 4K.
They almost definitely do. Lucas would never throw out anything.

On am unrelated note, I can’t find the Shadows of the Empire novel in the bookstore.

Majormaxxx

Hopefully they'll add controls for a Dualsense I can't do mouse and keyboard anymore.
I think I read somewhere there's proper controller support including rumble.

I recently replayed it using the new Force engine. Played fantastic with freelook mouse.

But this should be even better.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
? I thought they did patch it up.

I played through all of their remasters so far aside from the System Shock ones and they are amazing. I like their presets (aside from distance fog indoors in Quake I/II, that I turn off… changes indoor lighting too much).

RAIDEN1

For me this covers the "Star Wars FPS" genre, there is no need to make the Mandalorian game an FPS as well, they should have made that game along the lines of Guardian of the Galaxy/Mass Effect...

Dazraell

For me this covers the "Star Wars FPS" genre, there is no need to make the Mandalorian game an FPS as well, they should have made that game along the lines of Guardian of the Galaxy/Mass Effect...
This is what Respawn says on their job listings about this rumored Mandalorian game. I do think there is some potential in it, but obviously we will have to wait when they will show more

screenshot-2023-03-23-12-57-31-pm.png

RAIDEN1

This is what Respawn says on their job listings about this rumored Mandalorian game. I do think there is some potential in it, but obviously we will have to wait when they will show more

screenshot-2023-03-23-12-57-31-pm.png
Yeah but from what I heard when the news broke about it will be a linear shooter so we aren't talking an open free world like Halo Infinite, again a linear FPS is already covered by Dark Forces, it's a HUGE opportunity missed, (probably ranks up there with there never being a point-and-click Star Wars game that is the equivalent to Fate of Atlantis...)

Dazraell

Yeah but from what I heard when the news broke about it will be a linear shooter so we aren't talking an open free world like Halo Infinite, again a linear FPS is already covered by Dark Forces, it's a HUGE opportunity missed, (probably ranks up there with there never being a point-and-click Star Wars game that is the equivalent to Fate of Atlantis...)
I think it has a lot of potential if we take a look at the current lineup of Star Wars games. 3rd person action-adventure game is covered by Jedi series, multiplayer FPS were covered by DICE's Battlefront games, space combat sim was covered by Squadrons, open world game will be covered by Ubisoft's Outlaws. They technically don't have a modern story-driven FPS game (unless we will count that awful Battlefront II campaign that is), so this gives them a certain space without repeating the same things from other games, especially that most of them were published by EA

This is just my opinion, but story-driven FPS inspired by Dark Forces and from the creators of Titanfall 2 campaign sounds very rad. And by the sound of it this might also be a bounty hunting game which immediately draws the image of that cancelled Prey 2 game and all of the fun possibilities of chasing targets and the like

And yeah, I agree about SW point'n'click game. I was always hoping for something like this or Telltale-styled adventure game with Clone Wars artstyle to happen

digdug2

You don't understand why they would release a game that can run on potatoes on last gen systems which has a larger player base than current gen? When Current gen can also play last gen with zero problems?
Exactly. Outside of maybe adding DualSense support, what would making this a PS5 game bring to the table? They can still patch in 120Hz mode for current gen, if they so desire.

Stuart360

The Series S version being the same 1080p as the Switch is a bit ridiculous when its like 8-9 times more powerful. It shoulfd of been the same 4k as the XSX and PS5.

Top Bottom