• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR WARS: EPISODE IX gets a new writer: Jack Thorne

santi_yo

Borys Kit just got the exclusive.

UPDATE: Rian Johnson did not write any treatment for Ep IX.

qtA9bpv.png

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-episode-ix-gets-a-new-writer-1026003

gettyimages-623048052_-_h_2017_0.jpg

Star Wars: Episode IX is getting a rewrite.

Jack Thorne, the British scribe who wrote the upcoming Julia Roberts-Jacob Tremblay movie Wonder, has been tapped to work on the Star Wars installment that is to be directed by Colin Trevorrow.

Trevorrow and his writing partner Derek Connolly wrote the most recent draft of the script and were working off a treatment by Rian Johnson, who wrote and directed Star Wars: The Last Jedi, the eighth installment of the sci-fi fantasy that opens December 15.

Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Adam Driver and Oscar Isaac are expected to return – but you never know who a Star Wars movie may kill off so don't get too comfortable – with the installment eyeing a production start in January 2018.

The movie has a release date of May 24, 2019.

Thorne is the creator or co-creator of several British television shows, dramas and thrillers, including The Fades, The Cast-Offs, The Last Panthers and National Treasure.

While those don't sound like the Star Wars wheelhouse, writing on these two more recent programs bring him closer: His Dark Materials, BBC's adaptation of the fantasy by Philip Pullman, and Philip K. Dick's Electric Sheep for Channel 4.

He is repped by UTA.

Borys either misreporting or contradicting Johnson w/ the "based off a treatment by Rian Johnson" bit.

Because Johnson's been pretty explicit that whatever they're doing has nothing to do with him anymore.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
And before anyone cries doom, rewrites were inevitable due to Fisher's death... so this is a necessary evil.

Davide

I predict we'll look back and find out Rian Johnson's plan for IX and wish that had happened instead.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Harry_Potter_Cursed_Child_Play.jpg

uh oh

A-Long-Way-Down-Poster.jpg

UH OH

EDIT: I'm an apparently clueless that this man actually does good UK work apart from those. Please ignore this shitpost.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Borys either misreporting or contradicting Johnson w/ the "based off a treatment by Rian Johnson" bit.

Because Johnson's been pretty explicit that whatever they're doing has nothing to do with him anymore.

The original announcement of Rian directing VIII came with the report that he was writing the treatment of IX as well, so there seemed to be some confusion there.

And before anyone cries doom, rewrites were inevitable due to Fisher's death... so this is a necessary evil.

Those rewrites had already happened. These are rewrites of those rewrites.

The original announcement of Rian directing VIII came with the report that he was writing the treatment of IX as well, so there seemed to be some confusion there.

Yeah, I'm wondering if Borys had heard something new that put that shit back in play or if it's just an old detail erroneously left in.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I feel like the majority of Cursed Child's story would have come from Rowling herself so if you dislike it, it might be unfair to hold that against Thorne.

Well, a Colin Trevorrow and Derek Connolly script mixed with the guy who wrote Cursed Child certainly will be interesting, I'll give it that much.

I, uh, am intrigued and worried at the same time.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Jack Thorne also did The Last Panthers and National Treasure, two of the most critically acclaimed British TV shows of the past few years...

He's far from a hack.

Dinda

Man, can't they just ask Rian to write and direct IX? He already had an idea from when he was supposed to write it and he said he will be done with editing VIII in August, so just let him continue....
Yes, we don't know if TLJ sucks, but if it does, he already ruined it and it doesn't matter anyway.
But if it's great we get more greatness.

Oh well....don't know Thorne, hope he is good.

Oh shit he wrote for the this is England series? Dope

Glad they're rewriting trevorrows script. Him and his partner suck

Wish he was replaced from the directors chair too

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Jack Thorne also did The Last Panthers and National Treasure, two of the most critically acclaimed British TV shows of the past few years...

He's far from a hack.

Well, I'm going to eat this crow and say that I am largely unfamiliar with his work, so I guess this is comforting at least.

Still, I'm being cautious.

Basically, if you're familiar with British television, this is apparently a great fucking call.

If you're not familiar with British television, you scan for the worst possible entries on the resume and start panicking.

I'm not going to hit him for Harry Potter and the Cursed Child mostly because when Harry Potter and the Cursed Child was actually a thing nobody here talked about it like Jack Thorne even touched the fuckin thing. Because I'm pretty sure nobody here knew that Jack Thorne had ever touched the thing, despite his name being right there.

(that adaptation of Long Way Down was pretty mediocre, though)

Fury451

Banned
Basically, if you're familiar with British television, this is apparently a great fucking call.

If you're not familiar with British television, you scan for the worst possible entries on the resume and start panicking.

The Fades was indeed awesome.

I heard good things about his other tv work but can't vouch.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Never seen anything done by this guy. Here's hoping he nails it, that movie is gonna need him badly.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Man, when Han Solo and IX both end up being great, I wonder what other Star Wars project becomes the one people worry about?

Vashetti

Banned
Is the Harry Potter and the cursed child really bad or are people just exaggerating like in every film thread.

Bellatrix had Voldemort's baby between Half-Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows

Grown-up, she goes on a revenge spree against Harry and his kids

Total fanfiction trash

Is the Harry Potter and the cursed child really bad or are people just exaggerating like in every film thread.

It's pretty bad - it has some very small great moments - but overall, it feels like an entirely different universe and series. Sloppy writing all around as well, though perhaps it presents better as a play.

This dude had the idea to turn the trolley cart witch on the hogwarts express into the Terminator when kids try to escape. No joke. She transforms into some who the fuck knows what and apparently isn't even a person.

Top Bottom