• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode VII title confirmed- The Force Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Is it confirmed that they are doing a set trilogy, or are they just going to continue making numbered Star Wars movies, regardless of the set?

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Nothing will ever be as bad as Attack of the Clones. Do I ever remember the threads and IRC chatrooms in disbelief after that one.

-griffy-

Banned
It doesn't. This is really bothering me. Return of the Jedi means The Force is kicking ass left and right already. You can't say "The Force Awakens" after that. No way.

Why not? What jedi exactly returned in Return of the Jedi? Just Luke. And if he took a long sabbatical in the intervening 30 years then I'd guess the force could have been on vacation too.

If anything, we should be complaining about the misleading title to Return of the Jedi!

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It doesn't. This is really bothering me. Return of the Jedi means The Force is kicking ass left and right already. You can't say "The Force Awakens" after that. No way.

I thought Luke was supposed to have been missing for the last 30 years? Makes more sense in that context.

They released the name of Return of the Jedi super early too, to screw with bootleggers back in the days. The original shooting name and marketing name was 'revenge of the jedis" or something.

Bootleggers started making tshirts, fake toys, etc and then before release, they revealed the real name, leaving the bootleggers stuck with misnamed stuff!

I would not be surprised if it was the strategy again

This is not how that story goes.

I'm wondering, since there's no Episode VII in that logo anywhere, if we're going back to just calling the Star Wars movies by their titles, instead of forcing the Episode numbers in there.

Also: Eh. That sounds like a Star Wars title, alright.

Nokterian

The Schwartz Awakens!

Schwartz.gif

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I think the title would have resonated with me a bit better if it was "The Awakening of the Force"

Most star wars titles are kind of a mouthful, but if you put them all in a list "The Force Awakens" kind of stands out.

A New Hope
The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
The Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones
The Revenge of the Sith
The Force Awakens

It just doesn't have the theatricality of the other titles, and feels more like a video game title.

Edit: You know I changed my mind, I actually kind of like it.

Eh. We know nothing about the story. When we left off there was only 1 force user in the Galaxy (Luke). Maybe the Force Awakens really means the "Dark Side of the Force Awakens"

Coreda

Revenge of the Sith was the least imaginative of the prior films imo. After Revenge of the Jedi was renamed to Return it always sounds to me like a rehashed title.

Return of the Jedi means that a Jedi vanquished the current Sith. The Force Awakens could mean that something huge happens with the Force. It doesn't mean that it's been "asleep" or something. It sounds like some kind of cataclysmic event surrounding the Force, or perhaps something happens that causes the Force to expand or... something. It's wild seeing people acting like they know what it means to the point where they're under this delusion that it doesn't make any sense. Christ wait for some context.

Finally, they are going to start talking about the force.

Jumping to conclusions, I hope the force doesn't play too large a role in these movies.

RoKKeR

Also why is it 'Star The Force Awakens Wars' on the title card? Looks so odd haha, how did the other title cards look?

strafer

I just hate when people gets upset over a freakin subtitle...

it
s not the sub you're going to the watch...it's the movie.

it could be Star Wars: Force Titties and I wouldnt care.

shield

Don't love the title, but I don't hate it either.

Have they done away with 'Episode VII' part of the title?

jonezer4

Revenge of the Sith was the least imaginative of the prior films imo. After Revenge of the Jedi was renamed to Return it always sounds to me like a rehashed title.

It's like poetry, so that they rhyme. Every stanza kind of rhymes with the last one.

Hopefully it worked.

Finally, they are going to start talking about the force.

I recall hearing maybe from Lucas that his take would have the next trilogy go into the Force, Jedi, and Sith history or something. So it makes sense. "Awakens" can mean so many different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom