• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Star Wars': Han Solo Film Loses Directors (Lord & Miller)

And on top of that, I have to imagine folks at Lucasfilm are still suffering PTSD-like effects from the last time they attempted to do a straight-up comedy.

I heard something about that recently that suggested Kennedy personally shitcanned that.

I mean, I guess technically anything that gets shitcanned does because of her, but it was made to sound like she was very much not a fan of whatever was being attempted there.

Can't blame her on that one, either.

firelogic

George Lucas directed American Graffiti and Star Wars, two of the all time greatest films ever. THX 1138 is a very good film. He is not a terrible director. He could make 20 more terrible Star Wars movies and those earlier accomplishments will still exist. And that's what he'll be remembered for. You really only need one great work of art to cement your legacy. I have no problem calling him a great director.

I don't know if it's true or not but I heard that Star Wars was saved in the editing room after the studio brought in someone else to fix what Lucas did. So if that's true, and he didn't direct Empire or Jedi, and he did the prequels himself, I think the term "great director" shouldn't be used.

I don't know if it's true or not but I heard that Star Wars was saved in the editing room after the studio brought in someone else to fix what Lucas did.

First of all, every movie is "saved" in the editing room. Editing is is the number 1 thing that makes movies unique as art. Second of all, Marcia Lucas (his wife at the time) helped in the editing room. That is true and she deserves a lot of credit for that. But there would have been nothing to edit if Lucas didn't shoot the film and decide to shoot it the way he did. And ultimately it was his choice what to do with the film. If he didn't like any edits, he could have changed them. He's certainly had plenty of time to change it since 77. Structurally it's still pretty much the same film.

It just amazes me how much people want to discredit GL. He gave you Star Wars. There is no Star Wars with him. Yes he needed help, but none of the people that helped him came up with initial idea. And if you love the current Lucasfilm, you should thank him. He made the decision to sell the company and put Kennedy at the head of it. There is no sequel Trilogy or spin-offs without GL deciding to let others play in his sandbox.

SpaceWolf

Banned
This garbage makes me wonder, does Lucasfilm have perpetual rights for Ford's likeness in Star Wars-related crap?

Of course!

vxHPcH.gif

Top Bottom