• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Lucasfilm possibly holding off on Obi-Wan spin-off for surprising reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looked like he's just slightly embarrassed about being asked so much.

Whats weird is how they change the subject to the lightsaber and he says he doesnt know where his lightsaber is...in some storage unit and so on. When we think back to Force Awakens there is a a lighsaber in some storage unit and Obi Wans voice can be heard :D

Its probably nothing but its a damn funny coincidence :D

batfax

Force Ghosts? Rey? Y'all are thinking too obvious when clearly it's gonna be total bullshit. Snoke confirmed for evil clone Obi-Wan born from his visit to Kamino at request of Palpatine in case Anakin didn't work out.

srsly though I do hope an Obi-Wan movie happens. One of the most fun characters in the series.

edit: Too slow (sorta)

Rick1o1

Rey is a Skywalker. I don't understand how this can be in doubt. They revealed it in TFA. When she gets the lightsaber from that box, Maz Kanada says: "That was Luke's lightsaber and his father before his. And now it calls to you." How much more obvious can it be? Plus there has to be a new Skywalker. Star wars has always been about the Skywalker family. PT was Anakin's story, OT luke's and now it's Rey's. It makes no sense to have the the first two be about Skywalkers and now all of a sudden about the Kenobi family imo. But hey, maybe I'm wrong. We shall see it in December I guess.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Rey is a Skywalker. I don't understand how this can be in doubt. They revealed it in TFA. When she gets the lightsaber from that box, Maz Kanada says: "That was Luke's lightsaber and his father before his. And now it calls to you." How much more obvious can it be? Plus there has to be a new Skywalker. Star wars has always been about the Skywalker family. PT was Anakin's story, OT luke's and now it's Rey's. It makes no sense to have the the first two be about Skywalkers and now all of a sudden about the Kenobi family imo.

I don't get it either, man. It's like people speculating whether or not Lord Sidious was actually that Senator Palpatine guy in Phantom Menace.

But hey, maybe I'm wrong.

Nah.

Kyoufu

Rey is a Skywalker. I don't understand how this can be in doubt. They revealed it in TFA. When she gets the lightsaber from that box, Maz Kanada says: "That was Luke's lightsaber and his father before his. And now it calls to you." How much more obvious can it be? Plus there has to be a new Skywalker. Star wars has always been about the Skywalker family. PT was Anakin's story, OT luke's and now it's Rey's. It makes no sense to have the the first two be about Skywalkers and now all of a sudden about the Kenobi family imo. But hey, maybe I'm wrong. We shall see it in December I guess.

I have a few doubts about that theory.

1. It's too obvious.
2. Kylo Ren is a Skywalker and yet the lightsaber doesn't call to him so I don't think it matters.
3. How is she a Skywalker? Is she Luke's daughter? Luke is a Jedi and has no love interests and if she is Luke's daughter then why did he not raise her?

Valravn

Luke is beyond hope after Kylo murdered all his students and maybe his wife. Maybe he left Rey because he thinks being around him will also bring her only pain. He believes now that being a Jedi brings only pain and despair and has chosen the life of an exile. Therefore, the force is out of balance, because Luke abandoned the Jedi ways. And there is Snoke and Kylo of course, operating in the dark side of the force. 2 Sith and no Jedi. The force calls out to Rey to restore the balance. The force needs Rey, this is the reason why she picks it up so easily, the force is giving her a little nudge. In the vision Rey feels the pain Luke endured during the slaughter of his students (You can hear Luke scream NOOOO!) and the point he lost all hope. The force tells Rey in this vision, that she is the answer. Luke needs Rey to retrieve his belief in the Jedi ways; so Rey is a new hope.

DeathyBoy

Banned

1. It's too obvious.
2. Kylo Ren is a Skywalker and yet the lightsaber doesn't call to him so I don't think it matters.
3. How is she a Skywalker? Is she Luke's daughter? Luke is a Jedi and has no love interests and if she is Luke's daughter then why did he not raise her?

"It's too obvious."

You even wast her Star Wars,bro

Rick1o1

1. It's too obvious.

Yeah of course nobody can be sure till we get an official confirmation. But my counter arguments would be:

1. Apparently it's not that obvious because we are discussing it :p
2. My explanation would be that he has Solo as a last name and not Skywalker. Plus he is not Luke's direct descendant, like Luke is from Anakin (and Rey possibly from Luke).
3. You can say the exact same thing about Obi-wan.

But it's a smart move from Disney to keep this under wraps. It creates discussion and therefore hype. I wonder how well TLJ will do compared to TFA.

Madchad

Rather than a spin off Obi Wan i would rather have a spin off Obi Wan VS Darth Vader.

Think it would work better. Vader hunting the stray Jedi and Obi Wan trying to save/warn them culminating in some face offs before Obi Wan finally settles in exile.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Qui-Gon would be more interesting for a spin-off. So far these Star Wars off year movies are sticking too close to the familiar. At least Qui-Gon has a whole past with Dooku and his stoner years.
If we're talking other Jedi, Mace Windu takes the cake. Not sure if it's canon anymore but he had to go through some serious stuff just to get his purple crystal.

I would love a Qui-gon movie though. Or Obi-wan, for that matter

Kyoufu

Rather than a spin off Obi Wan i would rather have a spin off Obi Wan VS Darth Vader.

Think it would work better. Vader hunting the stray Jedi and Obi Wan trying to save/warn them culminating in some face offs before Obi Wan finally settles in exile.

Would that fit into the timeline? I'm unaware of Obi-wan encountering Anakin/Vader between their duels on Mustafar and the Death Star. Going by Vader's words when they dueled on the Death Star, I got the impression the answer would be no.

Kalentan

Would that fit into the timeline? I'm unaware of Obi-wan encountering Anakin/Vader between their duels on Mustafar and the Death Star. Going by Vader's words when they dueled on the Death Star, I got the impression the answer would be no.

As far as the new canon shows, that is still the case. Obi-Wan does encounter
Maul
but nothing that shows that he encounters Darth Vader before Ep 4.

If they did show them meeting, that would make Darth Vader's lines about Obi-wan very confusing.

Maybe she is both a Kenobi and a Skywalker?

McBryBry

Maybe she is both a Kenobi and a Skywalker?

This is where I'm at. I want it to be that Obi had a daughter with someone, who then had a daughter with Luke. Blam, there's Rey, the direct lineage of the Skywalkers and Kenobis. Then I could see how Obi found someone being a part of his solo film.

Kart94

Banned
I am not quite sure how this will work. I mean Obi Wan just basically kept quiet and to himself and it doesnt' seem like the Empire itself knew or if they knew, they left him alone.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I am not quite sure how this will work. I mean Obi Wan just basically kept quiet and to himself and it doesnt' seem like the Empire itself knew or if they knew, they left him alone.
I mean it's very possible this is the case, but there's a lot of wiggle room for pretty much anything to happen as long as he doesn't meet Vader. I highly doubt we'd get an Old Ben spinoff, and it'd be more focused on his younger years right after the republic fell, on the run from Jedi hunters or something.

Kart94

Banned
I mean it's very possible this is the case, but there's a lot of wiggle room for pretty much anything to happen as long as he doesn't meet Vader. I highly doubt we'd get an Old Ben spinoff, and it'd be more focused on his younger years right after the republic fell, on the run from Jedi hunters or something.

I never thought of that, that actually would work, but i was just assume when they mean between prequel and original, that they meant his time in Tattotine where nothing would really happen to him. I mean i think honestly what should happen is just have it set right after Luke and Leia's birth and just have him trying to escape the empire and all the stormtroopers trying to get him as he reaches Tattooine while Yoda himself tries to get to Alderine and to his planet.

And as for the empire leaving him alone...I guess it would just end with his ship crashing and if they don't know about Luke and or Leia, just assume that he'd be stranded and thus be of no real threat anymore?

This is where I'm at. I want it to be that Obi had a daughter with someone, who then had a daughter with Luke. Blam, there's Rey, the direct lineage of the Skywalkers and Kenobis. Then I could see how Obi found someone being a part of his solo film.
And Luke doesn't know the woman he knocked up was pregnant or was a Kenobi.

They'll do some Force vision shit and find our together.

SpaceWolf

Banned
In the old canon Obi-Wan met Boba Fett I think

Uh...

attack-of-the-clones-boba-fett-jango-fett-obi-wan-kenobi.jpeg

EDIT: Beaten, naturally.

If there's gonna be a spinoff they'll announce it at D23, which is July 14-16.

Believe.

Kathleen Kennedy stated at Celebration we won't be hearing about any future spin-offs till 2018 at the earliest.

I want a sitcom based on Obi-Wan's years living in a hut on Tatooine, where he has to deal with the wacky antics of his kooky neighbor who periodically barges into his home.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I want a sitcom based on Obi-Wan's years living in a hut on Tatooine, where he has to deal with the wacky antics of his kooky neighbor who periodically barges into his home.

Can Obi-Wan be the eccentric, kooky neighbour who's constantly getting under the skin of an increasingly irritated Owen?

4c14acf3874b35db635e695bbb7680a2.png

ABC get on this.

Randam

"I have heard rumors that the one reason they haven’t moved sooner on Obi-Wan is that they’re not done with Obi-Wan quite yet in the Saga films. So I wouldn’t be surprised to see an Obi-Wan thing happen beyond Episode IX".

I don't understand that sentence.

what is a Saga movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom