• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Mafia |OT| A Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy

Palmer_v1

Goddamn it guys, this is NOT a race. We you already killed Armorer #1 and the next guy that was on the public hit list also turned out to be a rebel. We have no clue who the Hutts are, but now you want to hand out blasters, despite shields being available.

head -> wall

Fairly certain there are some ulterior motives going on, like with TB on Day 1. The smart thing would be to protect. Even if it doesn't work the first night, you can always save 'em for a rainy day(night).

raindoc

The problem is that Shields take a night to go off, so unless I got lucky, that's not the most useful thing (I'd rather have a shield than a gun, though). Plus, that just means the Hutts can go after Worthy. Kinda wish he waited on describing the role, but oh well. The only way I can see one of us surviving is if the other gets detained, leaving the non-detainee a Vanilla Rebel. ... Or the Hutts try to turn you against us.

Besides, I think I can trust Blarg with a gun.

Gun: Blarg

Thing is, you and TWE are the members we can trust the most ATM, hence I think one of you should recieve a shield now. Anybody else could be a Hutt, claim that he did not recieve an item, leading to Quantum being lynched as a Hutt and a double kill at night.
The hutt would be done the next day, but with another armorer and two townies (regular kill, blaster kill) gone, the maneuver would be worth it.

According to TWE's descriptiona shield would make you both invulnerable, right? So our Jailor (or whatever bodyguard-role town has) only has to take care of you this night and can focus on another townie on Night 3.
A blaster doesn't save anyone (yet).

Shield: Zubz

raindoc

Okay. Missed that.

So the shield will last indefinitely? But will be lost once someone tries to kill you? And can only be used once on each person, right?

Do you really think we'd have two of those roles on the rebel side? Considering that we also had LoC, who also was able to kill someone with his power.

I can't really believe that. The Empire would need a lot of players and/or powered roles to counter that.

Agreed, but we can easily figure this one out, by having him give items to players we trust. See my post above.

Palmer_v1

Okay. Missed that.

So the shield will last indefinitely? But will be lost once someone tries to kill you? And can only be used once on each person, right?

Do you really think we'd have two of those roles on the rebel side? Considering that we also had LoC, who also was able to kill someone with his power.

I can't really believe that. The Empire would need a lot of players and/or powered roles to counter that.

A backup armorer is possible, i.e. he's an ordinary rebel until exmachina dies, then he gets promoted. I seriously doubt we started with two full time armorers though.

This is my understanding of what the role does:

Target someone at night, give them either a shield or a gun. Watchers and trackers could observe this activity.

Can't have multiple shields/guns, but might be able to have 1 gun AND 1 shield.

Items are 1 time use, and can be used starting on the next night.

Gun targets and would be observable by watcher/tracker. Discarded after use, successful or not.

Shield is passive, and protects you from one night kill and is then discarded. Basically makes you a tough guy like Duress/Karkador from last game. Unsure how it would interact with a Doctor role or other passive protections.

I think that's it. Please correct me if I got any of that wrong.

Palmer_v1

A backup armorer is possible, i.e. he's an ordinary rebel until exmachina dies, then he gets promoted. I seriously doubt we started with two full time armorers though.

This is my understanding of what the role does:

Target someone at night, give them either a shield or a gun. Watchers and trackers could observe this activity.

Can't have multiple shields/guns, but might be able to have 1 gun AND 1 shield.

Items are 1 time use, and can be used starting on the next night.

Gun targets and would be observable by watcher/tracker. Discarded after use, successful or not.

Shield is passive, and protects you from one night kill and is then discarded. Basically makes you a tough guy like Duress/Karkador from last game. Unsure how it would interact with a Doctor role or other passive protections.

I think that's it. Please correct me if I got any of that wrong.

If you do use the gun or shield, I believe he could give you another one. He just can't protect anyone indefinitely due to the 1 night delay. Hopefully we do have another protection role.

QuantumBro, do you know if there's an alert when a shield saves someone?

Goddamn it guys, this is NOT a race. We you already killed Armorer #1 and the next guy that was on the public hit list also turned out to be a rebel. We have no clue who the Hutts are, but now you want to hand out blasters, despite shields being available.

head -> wall

Now you see, that makes sense, but guns.

The Hutts don't respect cowardice, they respect firepower. Lots of firepower. If I have firepower, they'll respect me, and therefore not kill me. Mutually-assured destruction, right?

Swords, Doc, not wards.

Palmer_v1

The Hutts don't respect cowardice, they respect firepower. Lots of firepower. If I have firepower, they'll respect me, and therefore not kill me. Mutually-assured destruction, right?

Swords, Doc, not wards.

Speaking of M.A.D., I'm now curious what happens if you target a Mafia at the same time they're targeting you. I assume both people just die, probably.

raindoc

Speaking of M.A.D., I'm now curious what happens if you target a Mafia at the same time they're targeting you. I assume both people just die, probably.

M6TMwnZ.gif

raindoc

Swords, Doc, not wards.

Wait - are these self-defense or attack weapons? (passive or active)

raindoc

Wait - are these self-defense or attack weapons? (passive or active)

I was/am assuming active, because there's shields too. In that case a gun won't help you defend yourself blarg.
If they're purely passive, it doesn't matter whether we using guns or shields.

Now we have another person for a gun, Makai.

I'm still not sure if we can switch our gun vote or not, but I've been thinking about this Exercise.

I think I like what quantum_bro is doing. It's getting me some ideas on who to vote for.

So how should we handle the inactive players? Should we start to detain them today?

Well, if nobody looks remarkably scummy by the end of the day (in-game that is) then we probably should. I'd actually rather an inactive go (even though that puts me high on the list) than force a lynch like we did with exmachina and accidentally take out a power role (although that could be an inactive also be hopefully not!).

But in relation to Quantum's proposition, I would Gun:Zubz (although I really don't think it should be used for a night or two and would much rather shield which isn't an option) because we really don't need to spread all of the power to other people that we can't defend. Since Quantum already has a shield and I would hope that someone is watching/defending Zubz/WorthyEdge it would protect our most powerful roles. Although the biggest problem of this strategy is that we would have to protect them everyday which would cripple the investigation of everyone else.

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
After sleeping on it, regardless of whether it's a Gun or shield, somebody has to get a gun or shield, and it should be from his pop. Vote.

Palmer, I think you were right on the money with the ulterior motive idea. And even if you were not, it can be uses as such.

This is a three day weekend, and the first real beach weekend, for lots of people in the US. I've been down most of the weekend with a really bad cold, so I apologize for my inactivity.

Re: the gun. Like most I agree that a shield is probably the better option. If we're dead set on giving out a gun, I guess Palmer gets my vote. I trust him a bit more to not go firing wildly.

I'll reread and see if I can come up with anything else.

Gun:Zubz. Since he and Worthy are a hot topic, I don't think he'll be getting mafia killed anytime soon. I feel like it's the right balance of relative trust and time to stay in the game.

Makai

Okay. Missed that.

I just thought of another possibility - we're missing a lot of good roles such as doctor and cop. it really is incredinle, no matter what. I think it's likely this is just a ploy, but who really knows? Maybe MattyG wanted to experiment with an extremely offensive game.

Not that I distrust zubz, but with him and worthy being tied to each other, aren't we worried about the Hutt killing them tonight? If we give him a gun, and even with the doctor/medic/protector role protecting one of them, it's still possible that the hutt's target the other.

I just don't want our gun to go to waste, we may only get one or two of these.

Makai

Not that I distrust zubz, but with him and worthy being tied to each other, aren't we worried about the Hutt killing them tonight? If we give him a gun, and even with the doctor/medic/protector role protecting one of them, it's still possible that the hutt's target the other.

I just don't want our gun to go to waste, we may only get one or two of these.
If we have a doctor, he should flip a coin and protect either TWE or Zubz based on the flip.

Makai

And if we gave TWE or Zubz a shield and, they could live past that night. If TWE or Zubz wins the vote, Quantum should flip a coin to decide which of the two to give the shield to and not reveal who got it. If the Hutts focus on TWE and Zubz for two nights in a row, they have a 25% chance of surviving until they both get shields. These odds aren't horrible, especially since the Hutts might not focus on TWE and Zubz twice in a row. But we'd still be better served by protecting the better power roles. Quantum is already shielded. Has anyone else roleclaimed?

I'm liking this. Zubz and I have been pretty productive in the background to be honest, always telling one another who we think is a threat and not. Zubz seems to have played this game before and by all means do I trust him with the gun. For shield...I have no clue because I really think that he should have it as well. I am no doubt going down tonight by the Hutts or Zubz is but I dont think we should vote for a specific person to have the gun and shield. Maybe a pool of people that Quantum should pick. If we choose directly that gives more leverage for the Mafia on who to vote.

eJawa

would probably like a hook in his jaw for that matter
I am no doubt going down tonight by the Hutts or Zubz is but I dont think we should vote for a specific person to have the gun and shield. Maybe a pool of people that Quantum should pick. If we choose directly that gives more leverage for the Mafia on who to vote.

This I agree with. I think it's too risky voting a single person. I like the idea of voting for several and either Quantum can choose, using his own judgment or picking by random.

Terrabyte20xx

I'm liking this. Zubz and I have been pretty productive in the background to be honest, always telling one another who we think is a threat and not. Zubz seems to have played this game before and by all means do I trust him with the gun. For shield...I have no clue because I really think that he should have it as well. I am no doubt going down tonight by the Hutts or Zubz is but I dont think we should vote for a specific person to have the gun and shield. Maybe a pool of people that Quantum should pick. If we choose directly that gives more leverage for the Mafia on who to vote.

This I agree with. I think it's too risky voting a single person. I like the idea of voting for several and either Quantum can choose, using his own judgment or picking by random.
No, it needs to be a specific person whom we vote. Worthy, talk to zubz in your sub-forum and brainstorm the possibilities of what information could be obtained by Quantum giving a item to a chosen target. If you think you guys figured it out, DON'T POST IT HERE.

eJawa

would probably like a hook in his jaw for that matter
No, it needs to be a specific person whom we vote. Worthy, talk to zubz in your sub-forum and brainstorm the possibilities of what information could be obtained by Quantum giving a item to a chosen target. If you think you guys figured it out, DON'T POST IT HERE.

I still think it's too risky letting the hutts know exactly who has the gun. I'll keep my gun vote for Blarg, since his method hopefully buys him some immunity from the hutts.

Terrabyte20xx

So I went and looked at the vote tallies for Day 1. And there were two names that stood out:

Lord of Castamere

Zippedpinhead

Both were on all three of yesterdays big wagons.(Well, Zip was only on two, but remember the third was on himself)

If we looked at two out of three this would include:

Barrylocke

MattAttack

CzarTim

What does this mean? Frankly, I'm not too sure myself. But it is interesting to note that the one hutt(swamped) we know about did jump from wagon to wagon, but instead picked one and stuck with it.

Terrabyte20xx

So I went and looked at the vote tallies for Day 1. And there were two names that stood out:

Lord of Castamere

Zippedpinhead

Both were on all three of yesterdays big wagons.(Well, Zip was only on two, but remember the third was on himself)

Barrylocke

MattAttack

CzarTim

What does this mean? Frankly, I'm not too sure myself. But it is interesting to note that the one hutt(swamped) we know about didn't jump from wagon to wagon, but instead picked one and stuck with it.
Quote edit

Zubz

Banned
tumblr_nfar2eHZVf1s2wio8o1_500.gif

Geez, guys... I appreciate the trust, but I don't think it's a good idea to risk it on me. I'm going to the side-forum to discuss stuff with Edge, but I'll maintain my vote for arming Blarg. If it's anything like Werewolf, then he probably have a Space Pubmaster (Someone that gives a chosen player Cop/Seer powers at night, but only once per game). This means that Blarg's less of a target because he won't get this power again (Although he still has info that the Hutts might want silenced). And if you're a Hutt using this as a chance to get a second kill tonight, I'm really going to feel betrayed.

Incidentally, between at least 2 Armorers and a Trigger-Happy Rebel... We got a bunch of loose cannons here, don't we?

redhood56

Banned
]I still think it's too risky letting the hutts know exactly who has the gun.[/B] I'll keep my gun vote for Blarg, since his method hopefully buys him some immunity from the hutts.
Yeah I think this too, the hutts just wouldn't attack the person with te gun. While I do think someone should have the gun I think Quantum should keep it on the dl.

CzarTim

This thread is moving very slowly today. Holiday weekends suck.

Do you have a list?
Posts since the day started:

Makai 27
CzarTim 25
Palmer_v1 25
Terrabyte20xx 24
TheWorthyEdge 21
Blargonaut 18
QuantumBro 17
johnnyquicknives 12
traube 12
raindoc 12
eJawa 9
AbsolutBro 5
Barrylocke 5
Zippedpinhead 5
Zubz 4
redhood56 3
Setre 3
OceanicAir 2
Matt Attack 1
Rymuth 1

Those gifs of the holiday special are creepy.

I've been rereading the thread for the day (well since quantum posed his "who do we arm" question). Most of us have been very distracted by that question.

I'm a bit pressed for time, so I'm going to quickly make a post. I'm still really sorry that I haven't been posting much. Honestly I've barely had time to read over the thread. I'll be back in America in a bit over 24 hours now, so I promise that I'll be significantly more active then. I'm heading to the airport soon, and I'll try to make a more significant post there if I have the chance. I'm going to refrain from making a gun vote at the moment since I haven't had a chance to throughly review the candidate's Day 2 posts.

Zubz

Banned
Those gifs of the holiday special are creepy.

I've been rereading the thread for the day (well since quantum posed his "who do we arm" question). Most of us have been very distracted by that question.

Definitely. It just seems like it diverted all actual discussion from "Why did the Hutts target Castamere (If it was even them)" and "Who killed Swamped?" We had a bit of that earlier, but we're voting for something that, honestly, may not even be true. IIRC, barring Edge hinting at one, Quantum was our first role claim, and it was exactly the same one as the only useful role we've seen so far...

And sorry. I may have lied about not seeing any of the movies (I did see "A New Hope" a few summers back), but for a long while, the Christmas Special was the only Star Wars-related media I've seen.

This thread is moving very slowly today. Holiday weekends suck.

Mmmf, quite glacial.

*sigh*

Perhaps, a dash of spicy derailment—?

☆

If someone beats me in a minigame of MS Paint 'Lines & Boxes';
I, Blargonaut, will Role-claim today (In-game Day 2).

But, if I win;
the loser has to Role-claim today (In-game Day 2).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE RULES OF THE DUEL.
  • The first individual to download the image below and repost it with their move (draw it with Paint, rehost the image using Imgur or whatever, then post it in thread) will be the first designated challenger, and thus *IS OBLIGATED to play the match against me until it is finished.
  • *NOTE: If the designated challenger backs out DURING the minigame, that counts as their Loss and thus they are obligated to Role-claim.
  • I'll gladly accept to face as many challengers it takes until I am beaten, but the board resets with each new challenger and I get first move. Also, one challenger at a time.
  • This is a game of honour. I'm a trooper of my word, and I will absolutely legitimately Role-claim if I'm beaten. But, if I win and the loser doesn't Role-claim before Day 2 ends, he/she officially has bad-sport coward cooties.
  • If you play improperly or unfairly, I reserve the right to back out without obligation, if I choose to. I supplied a fair tutorial below for the unfamiliar, so there's no reason this should happen with anyone...
  • It's simple, really.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GAMEPLAY CRASH COURSE.
Just in case you're unfamiliar, here's a Youtube vid that shows a match in action, explains it way better than I can:
'Lines & Boxes' Gameplay

Text-explanation below, if you can't watch it (but you should, if you want to duel me properly):

• Each turn must be posted in its own separate image file; I post my turn/image, you post your turn/image, I post my turn/image, you post your turn/image, I post my turn/image, etc., etc.
  • The gist: Draw lines between the black 'x' points, make boxes. No diagonal lines allowed. Only horizontal or vertical.
  • We take turns. I get first turn. Draw ONE line per turn.
  • However: if you manage to draw a line that completes/closes a box (is the final fourth side), your turn continues and you can draw ONE MORE line anywhere you want; after which, it switches to my turn as normal. The vid above best shows how this is done.
  • If the opportunity presents itself, you can use this rule to chain-combo box completions/closings. Again, the vid above best shows how this is done.
  • When you close a box, you own that box, and so you MUST draw your initial in that box. Vid.
  • When marking a box; kindly use a different initial than mine, for box ownership clarity. I will be "B".
  • The game ends when no more lines can be drawn and all possible boxes are therefore owned.
  • The one with the highest amount of owned boxes at the end, wins.
  • I really botched this explanation.
  • IT'S SIMPLE, REALLY.

And so, I'll make the first move:

eHSYO7E.png

Now, who here's got the tauntauns to gamble with their Role... for mine?

Makai

Actually, fuck it! Let's GOOOOOOOO.

tumblr_n81of1Kh491r6ni76o1_400.gif

tumblr_lj39fuqboX1qdsdrn.gif

tumblr_lrklgobhaO1r1e5pio1_r1_500.gif

I can't turn down a challenge like this. But it's almost midnight here, so it'll have to wait til tomorrow.

Zubz

Banned
And so, I'll make the first move:

eHSYO7E.png

Now, who here's got the tauntauns to gamble with their Role... for mine?

I was gonna duel you before realizing how pointless that'd be.

Still, it's better than wasting time on a semi-questionable role claim (Not that it inherently means that Quantum's a Hutt if he's lying; he might be masking a greater power). Anyone else have any ideas why the Hutts targeted Castamere or Swamped, and who would've gotten the other kill? Based on Castamere's distrust of Swamped, there's a good chance he killed her, but that's not a guarantee. And honestly, I can't think of good strategic value in killing Castamere other than trying to paint me as the murderer.

CzarTim

Blarg for president.

I was gonna duel you before realizing how pointless that'd be.

Still, it's better than wasting time on a semi-questionable role claim (Not that it inherently means that Quantum's a Hutt if he's lying; he might be masking a greater power). Anyone else have any ideas why the Hutts targeted Castamere or Swamped, and who would've gotten the other kill? Based on Castamere's distrust of Swamped, there's a good chance he killed her, but that's not a guarantee. And honestly, I can't think of good strategic value in killing Castamere other than trying to paint me as the murderer.

My guess is since Mafia didn't know who two of their own were, so they needed a target they were positive was town. And LoC was doing a good job keeping us focused as well, as evidenced by how uneventful today has been.

Zubz

Banned
Did you guys seriously ignore my posts that actually could move this game somewhat forward for a DOT GAMEATCH?!?

I mean, I guess it is pretty interesting to know some of that stuff, but it mostly just pointed at Castamere and Zipped being eager to vote. Zipped's also trying to get this conversation moved along, so I'm not too suspicious of him at the moment and we know Castamere was a Rebel now.

Although out of curiosity, I would like to know why Zipped flip-flopped so frequently...

Did you guys seriously ignore my posts that actually could move this game somewhat forward for a DOT GAMEATCH?!?

Yeah, I agree that this isn't the time for getting distracted about this. Let them have their fun, but we need to move the game forward with our votes.

...So says the guy that's barely hanging on with activity. I'll try and see if another night at work will give me some thoughts for you all.

Palmer_v1

I mean, I guess it is pretty interesting to know some of that stuff, but it mostly just pointed at Castamere and Zipped being eager to vote. Zipped's also trying to get this conversation moved along, so I'm not too suspicious of him at the moment and we know Castamere was a Rebel now.

Although out of curiosity, I would like to know why Zipped flip-flopped so frequently...

I flip flopped a lot too. I was using it as a prod most of the time. It's amazing how quickly people will start posting after seeing a vote cast their way. The only person I ever really wanted to Detain was TWE, but obviously I was wrong about that, as most of you were wrong about Exmachina.

CzarTim

Lord of Castamere

Zippedpinhead

Barrylocke

MattAttack

CzarTim

What does this mean? Frankly, I'm not too sure myself. But it is interesting to note that the one hutt(swamped) we know about did jump from wagon to wagon, but instead picked one and stuck with it.

You should be on this list too, my friend ;) As for me, I was the first vote for worthy (during the random voting phase), but unvoted for him a couple hours later and defended him (and ex) consistently yesterday.

I said it earlier, but swamp's vote on exmachina was super weird in hindsight. It came a page after the bandwagon, and no votes came anytime soon after. If you are correct in thinking she and her partner in crime had no forum to talk in, it is possible she or the other person played follow the leader on the vote.

It's also entirely possible one voted for worthy too so it didn't look suspicious. Hard to tell at this point.

Top Bottom