• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Gravidee

I have a friend who is an honest to goodness SW super fan but he still doesn't get my frustration over Grievous' cough never being explained in the CW series after it was so purposefully pointed out in the original cartoon :)

The official canonical explanation is that Grievous's cyborg body breathing apparatus is imperfect, which explains the coughs and wheezes. Darth Vader's breathing module is meant to be a successor to that.

Is there a good reference book for alien species? Sometimes novels randomly drop a reference to another species and I either can't remember them or can't summon a good enough mental image to imagine them properly. Wikis aren't doing the trick really.

Guardians of the Whills and Rebel Rising are out today.

Just received them in the mail. Just about to finish Thrawn so I can start these soon. Guardians is tiny.

zCRnq8A.jpg

I'm reading Thrawn right now and this thought keeps entering my brain so I have to get it out. There have been a few instances where they are in route to a location on various ships throughout the book. Some take a few hours and some have taken over 12 hours. Now my brain wonders when does hyperspace become and option and why isn't it an option all the time? Like ships taking more than 12 hours seems a bit weird when some ships can just hyperspace there in much shorter time. Maybe it's not much shorter but that's how movies make it out to be. I need some official science behind this Lucasfilm.

Just received them in the mail. Just about to finish Thrawn so I can start these soon. Guardians is tiny.

Ha, Guardians is pretty small.

I'm reading Thrawn right now and this thought keeps entering my brain so I have to get it out. There have been a few instances where they are in route to a location on various ships throughout the book. Some take a few hours and some have taken over 12 hours. Now my brain wonders when does hyperspace become and option and why isn't it an option all the time? Like ships taking more than 12 hours seems a bit weird when some ships can just hyperspace there in much shorter time. Maybe it's not much shorter but that's how movies make it out to be. I need some official science behind this Lucasfilm.

I'm sure they explored it more in the old EU but I'm no expert on that. There could be a few factors at play. Hyperspace routes may be one. If you're traversing uncharted space, I assume it would take longer without any commonly used routes to take advantage of. Hyperdrive classes could also make a difference - the faster the engine, the shorter the journey. Though that probably wouldn't be an issue for Imperial vessels.

There's also the size of the galaxy to take into account. Attack of the Clones makes Anakin and Padme's journey from Coruscant to Naboo sound pretty long, I wouldn't be surprised if that took several hours. Most of the movies take a few liberties with how long each journey would probably take.

Vyer

If it's been done in the thread, would someone kindly point me to the posts? If not, what's the general consensus on the new books? I'd like to read some of them and don't want to hit the duds first.

Another part of the Star Wars themed nursery arrived and installed.

That's awesome

If it's been done in the thread, would someone kindly point me to the posts? If not, what's the general consensus on the new books? I'd like to read some of them and don't want to hit the duds first.

That's awesome

Thanks, my rankings on the ones I have read.

Bloodline
Lost Stars
Aftermath Trilogy (Have to get past that first book)
Thrawn (Almost done and it ranks high, could get higher)
Catalyst
Lords of the Sith

Just received Rebel Rising and Guardians which both have reviewed well. I recommend all the ones I have read. Not a dud in the group.

Any other good sales today?

Comixology have a pretty good sale on if you're interested in the comics.

Anthony Breznican from EW has revealed what Rian asked JJ to change about The Force Awakens' ending. He wanted R2 to travel to Ahch-To instead of BB-8.

His request will end up returning a long-beloved Star Wars figure to the center of the action: R2-D2.

”Yes ... The big [favor] was, I asked if R2 could come with Rey, and if BB-8 could stay behind with the Resistance," Johnson says. ”Originally it was BB-8 who went with Rey, which makes sense for the story in a way. But I asked, ‘Can you do me this solid and switch the droids?'"

--

Good news Korupt! Aphra won the fan vote.

The kinda good, kinda bad archaeologist has won Hasbro's Star Wars Fan Figure Vote on StarWars.com, meaning that she'll be making the jump to toy form and joining the new 3.75-inch Star Wars Vintage Collection. Doctor Aphra, introduced in 2016 in Marvel's Darth Vader series, rocketed quickly to fan-favorite status. She was dangerous, funny, and kept the company of two psychotic droids, but wasn't completely without a heart; it was hard not to root for her, even when battling our heroes. Today, Doctor Aphra stars in her own ongoing series and cosplay sightings are regular.

”I'm of a generation that some of my earliest memories are of Star Wars figures and the magic herein," Doctor Aphra creator and series writer Kieron Gillen tells StarWars.com. ”The idea that someone Salva [Larroca] and I made up is going to be one of those, immortal in plastic, feels all kind of magical."

Is this a joke or something from Poe Dameron?

Nope, just my own bad joke.

In all seriousness, I wouldn't be surprised if originally there was a scene where BB-8 shows he wants to go with Rey and Poe encourages him to do so. As you say, it would be a bit odd if he left Poe with no explanation, especially after it's Poe he's with on Starkiller Base.

Were they going to just cut R2 out of the series entirely to promote BB-8? The hell is that about?
The new cast has a close relationship with BB-8, and doesn't with R2. It's not that weird and doesn't necessarily indicate the character being written out in favor of BB, as much as focusing on an existing relationship central to this specific movie. There's no "they" to plan on phasing out R2 anyway. It's up to each of the filmmakers on how they wanted to use or not use the character. So there was no grand plan to phase R2 out, JJ just told a story that didn't focus on R2, while Rian wanted to tell a story that did use him (and BB) in a certain way, and JJ threw him a bone to help set up the story he wanted.

To be honest, I always thought it was odd R2 went with Rey since they don't know each other, but I guess it's justified since R2 had the map records and wanted to see Luke again.

sphagnum

Banned
I posted this in the May 4th thread but I'll repost it over here:

Just finished Guardians of the Whills. I was surprised by how grim and adult it was for a book marketed towards kids. It really fleshed out Baze, Chirrut, and the conflict on Jedha though. It's not really essential reading but it was an excellent little story. I'd recommend it over many of the "adult" novels.

Slime

Banned

Just finished Guardians of the Whills. I was surprised by how grim and adult it was for a book marketed towards kids. It really fleshed out Baze, Chirrut, and the conflict on Jedha though. It's not really essential reading but it was an excellent little story. I'd recommend it over many of the "adult" novels.

It is pretty amusing how the handful of Disney–Lucasfilm Press "junior" books tend to be better than a lot of the adult-targeted Del Rey novels. The Servants of the Empire books and Lost Stars still haven't been topped, in my opinion.

I'm not surprised, it's Greg Rucka. Before The Awakening was good as well and his work on Gotham Central, Lazarus, Wonder Woman etc. speaks for itself.

sphagnum

Banned
I'm about 10 chapters into Rebel Rising and I'm liking it a lot so far. Saw is vicious.

Also liked that in the Rogue One comic adaptation there was a flashback panel showing Saw/Jyn and Bail/Leia meeting, the two sides of the rebellion.

Malyse

I'm about 10 chapters into Rebel Rising and I'm liking it a lot so far. Saw is vicious.

Also liked that in the Rogue One comic adaptation there was a flashback panel showing Saw/Jyn and Bail/Leia meeting, the two sides of the rebellion.

Can we award Jyn most tragic character in the series? Her whole life is fucking awful.

Top Bottom