• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

That Yoda arc was maybe the most unStar War-ish thing in the comics so far. It sorta feels like the story group is happy with letting the comics go a bit crazy and stray from the tone of Star Wars but I honestly don't think that's a good thing. The arc where
Luke gets captured
and the
prison break
were by far the best arcs so far and they both felt very Star Wars-ish.

More of that and less of giant talking mountains.

I'm not against them trying something weird but I thought that arc was awful. Probably my least favourite SW comic since Marvel reacquired the rights and a definite sign that Aaron needed to move on.

I dug the art for that arc, and I don't necessarily have a lot against the concept it went for, but it was still a poorly-executed story that didn't exactly do any favors for Luke or Yoda's characters.

Conversely, I liked the Prison arc but was ambivalent towards the Luke on Nar Shaddaa stuff; it seemed contrived for the sake of
giving the entire main cast lightsabers to fight with
for the climax. Though it did give us Sana.
And set up a fairly hilarious callback in the Maul comics.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I wonder if this is just Ron Howard being Ron Howard or if LucasFilm wanted him to post behind the scenes stuff to calm things after the whole Lord and Miller drama.

5crGDTc.gif

shingi70

Banned
Found a region free copy of the Rouge One Steelbook, for $37 on eBay.

---------

I didn't mind the stone power Yoda arc. At first I didn't like it, but I just took it as another form of the force like the nightsisters Magic.

So, Adywan finally released his ten-years-in-development Empire Strikes Back: Revisited edit.

Watched it, dug it quite a bit. The majority of the edits focus around improving shot continuity and smoothing out rough edges on the effects, with a fair amount (well, fair compared to the smorgasbord that was ANH Revisited) of physical and CG model additions as well.

R8TwhtR.gif

ESB:R's Battle of Hoth is cool as shit, and while the consumer-grade-software quality of the edit shows through perhaps the most here, it's still excellent in regards to what Ady accomplishes with his additions to the action.

amve3T3.gif

I don't think it's going to do anything to assuage the "fan edits are pointless" argument I've seen bandied around this forum and in other places, but it's still impressive as hell for an amateur creation.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Oh, interesting. Do you know of a video or website that compiles all the differences? I looked around a bit but only found some super old videos.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
So, uh, remember how I was joking in the TLJ EW thread about making Starkiller canon again?

Well...
Starkiller, the fabulously ridiculous antihero of The Force Unleashed, almost featured in Star Wars: Rebels. This would have been bonkers.

The tidbit comes from a Twitch stream event broadcasted by Witwer.

“Dave [Filoni] did share with me, by the way, he considered making Starkiller an Inquisitor in Star Wars: Rebels,” Witwer said. “It didn’t quite fit the story they were telling, but he did think about it because he thought that would be interesting.”

Woorloog

Banned
Blaster bolt dodged.

The Force Unleashed is flawed but fun game, overpowered Force is quite fun game mechanic. But i really don't wish to see its story or characters again otherwise.

EDIT Bane appeared in TCW but do note that Bane is George Lucas' creation. At least, the name and role, details are made by others later.

Woorloog

Banned
There's some explanation for this on the Star Wars website. It sounds like the Clone Wars team just wanted to put their own stamp on Bane.

How mundane.

I think Bane's looks are good overall but i do wish they had given him face.
The armor's samurai styling is appropriate, and indeed the whole thing looks like back-engineered Darth Vader armor. Makes sense, no? Palps gives Vader armor based on ancient Sith armor.
But the mask is a bit.... boring. Oh, simpler for animation for sure. But even just partial mask would have been more interesting.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Its funny how people in this Starkiller thread think, that a version of a characters that looks like Starkiller and has the same name appering in that show would make the games automatic canon.

Thats why I hope that there is never every any KOTOR stuff made its way back again.

Its funny how people in this Starkiller thread think, that a version of a characters that looks like Starkiller and has the same name appering in that show would make the games automatic canon.

Thats why I hope that there is never every any KOTOR stuff made its way back again.

KOTOR is good though what is this nonsense.

Malyse

image.php

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Do you want lenghty discussions with idiots on OT, or, even worse, Gamingside, that all of KOTOR is now canon, because that hilarious C3PO but with killing-puns runs through a scene and waves at the audience?
I dont.

Seigyoku

Do you want lenghty discussions with idiots on OT, or, even worse, Gamingside, that all of KOTOR is now canon, because that hilarious C3PO but with killing-puns runs through a scene and waves at the audience?
I dont.

Well locations that originated in KOTOR have turned up as have the Hammerheads, so, yeah, people have already bugged Pablo and Leland and co about KOTOR clearly being canon now. (Which is around when Pablo said if it was up to him Revan would be female and of course there was much screaming.)

Oh internet.

Teggy

I don't see how KOTOR can really be made canon - the concept of the old republic Sith empire doesn't really work with how the sith are presented in the prequels and Clone Wars.

Oh, and Revan was female.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I don't see how KOTOR can really be made canon - the concept of the old republic Sith empire doesn't really work with how the sith are presented in the prequels and Clone Wars.

There are literly thousands of years between these two events, stuff changes inbetween.

A synopsis for Phasma has been released:

Discover Captain Phasma's mysterious history in this ”Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi" novel.

One of the most cunning and merciless officers of the First Order, Captain Phasma commands the favor of her superiors, the respect of her peers, and the terror of her enemies. But for all her renown, Phasma remains as virtually unknown as the impassive expression on her gleaming chrome helmet. Now, an adversary is bent on unearthing her mysterious origins—and exposing a secret she guards as zealously and ruthlessly as she serves her masters.

Deep inside the Battlecruiser Absolution, a captured Resistance spy endures brutal interrogation at the hands of a crimson-armored stormtrooper—Cardinal. But the information he desires has nothing to do with the Resistance or its covert operations against the First Order.

What the mysterious stormtrooper wants is Phasma's past—and with it whatever long-buried scandal, treachery, or private demons he can wield against the hated rival who threatens his own power and privilege in the ranks of the First Order. His prisoner has what Cardinal so desperately seeks, but she won't surrender it easily. As she wages a painstaking war of wills with her captor, bargaining for her life in exchange for every precious revelation, the spellbinding chronicle of the inscrutable Phasma unfolds. But this knowledge may prove more than just dangerous once Cardinal possesses it—and once his adversary unleashes the full measure of her fury."

This is Cardinal then:

MattyG

Banned
So I just found out that the Kindle versions of Star Wars novels have the x-ray feature, which I feel would be super helpful for when a character from another form of media shows up and I need a refresher on them or something. I really want to switch over, but I already have all the novels up to Aftermath: Life Debt physically and my obsession with having a book collection has me hesitant.

Either way though, I really have to buckle down and start reading the novels (and comic), I'm way behind.

The Star Wars website has an interview with the author of the 'On The Frontlines' book. It gives you a better idea of what's included and how they chose which battles to focus on. It sounds like it's an art book as much as anything.

StarWars.com: Eleven major battles are covered in this book. Tell us more about the selection process for choosing which battles to cover.

Daniel Wallace: Each of the seven movies in the saga — eight if you count Rogue One — contains one definitive, defining battle. That made picking the first eight pretty simple. From there, Star Wars: The Clone Wars made a lot of sense to focus on — we very nearly included the Battle of Malastare before deciding to go with Christophsis and Ryloth. Unfortunately, there wasn't enough advance prep time to include Star Wars Rebels.

The final slot went to the Battle of Jakku, which is the only battle in On the Front Lines that is never actually seen on screen. To write it I had to rely on sources like the Aftermath novels, the Battlefront game, and the young adult adventure Lost Stars, while filling in the blanks when necessary.

star-wars-on-the-front-lines-6-1024x773.jpg

star-wars-on-the-front-lines-5-768x627.jpg

Ha, Rian's laugh is infectious.

Toa TAK

Banned
On the Frontlines looks amazing. Right up my alley.

EDIT: Thomas Kail and Rian Johnson get along swell. lol I'd watch a rom com on them.

sphagnum

Banned
On the Frontlines looks amazing. Right up my alley.

It didn't really add a ton of new stuff except for a picture of Randd and finding out that Hobbie is dead.

Star Wars 34 and Poe 16 (I think?) came out today. I actually really liked SW for once - even Larocca's art wasn't too bad, except for Sana's ever changing face. He had some cool aliens and space shots. Some fun characterization for Sana too.

I'm ready for Gillen's run though.

Big One

Banned

Oh, and Revan was female.
Well it was mentioned in Clone Wars that the Sith "built empires" on the backs of slaves. Though I dunno if they were called the "Sith Empire," but it's definitely implied that the Sith ruled the galaxy at some point. Why else would they house a Sith Temple of Coruscant?

The Galactic Empire is a Sith built empire as well.

Seigyoku

GUYS THE FREEMAKER FINALE WAS SO GOOD!

They did the most amazing Brick Joke/Chekov's Gun I've seen in ages and set it up over two seasons and I was in tears from laughing.

Seriously, I loved that show.

Top Bottom