• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Outlaws: One Planet Size Equivalent to 2-3 Zones in AC Odyssey, Locations All “Handcrafted”

Draugoth

Gold Member
star-wars-outlaws-image-2.jpg

Speaking in the latest issue of EDGE magazine (issue #387), Creative Director Julian Gerighty shared some new details regarding Star Wars Outlaws, with one of them confirming that each planet in the game is big enough that traversing it — even with high-speed vehicles — will feel like a “journey. In comparison, the size of one planet might be about equivalent to two or three zones in Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey.

Another thing Gerighty confirmed is that each location is “handcrafted,” and that the studio has not procedurally generated an entire planet.

Here are more details straight from Gerighty:

• Focusing on “full freedom of approach” when it comes to encounters.
  • Exclusive quests, vendor prices, locked off areas can be accessed by the Reputation system. If you’re not in a faction’s good side, they can send people to chase you down, monetary punishment is also part of it/
  • Players will not have “total free rein” in terms of travel, you won’t be able to freely fly above the planet, and there will be set landing and take-off areas.
  • Nix (alien companion of protagonist Vass) can be directed by players to attack enemies, activate out-of-reach buttons, cause distractions, pick up heavy weapons from fallen foes, Massive says Nix is like a cross between Watch Dogs’ spiderbot, BioShock Infinite’s Elizabeth or like BD-1 from EA’s Star Wars Jedi games.
  • Each planet was designed to be big enough that traversing will feel like a “journey even on a vehicle that’s fast moving.
  • One planet equivalent to two to three of the zones in Assassin’s Creed Odyssey.
  • Locations are all “handcrafted” and there are no procedurally generated entire planets
  • Vass’ ship Trailblazer inspired by toys of the 1970s and was made to be “very, very simple.”
  • Game is set between Empire and Jedi, so Massive tans to emulate that “feel.” The studio has been developing tech which “emulates some of the lenses of the 1970s.”
  • ND-5 droid (Vass’ companion) design lifted from prequels.
Star Wars Outlaws has no firm release date yet outside of “2024” and it’s set for release on PS5, Xbox Series X|S and PC.

Source via MP1ST

Last edited:

unlurkified

Looks phenomenal but it’s Massive and Ubisoft. Highly skeptical it won’t get downgraded before release. Still scarred from The Division 2014 reveal. I agree about the main character-she needs more personality and sass. Guess they just didn’t want to make a female Solo.

Fbh

Sounds interesting but I'm still skeptical because Ubisoft.
I hope at least the combat and story are solid.
Let's be honest, you don't know shit about the character. The idea of playing a black woman is what repulses you

Let's be honest, you are just looking for outrage since you seemingly care so little about the game you don't know the main character isn't black

Fredrik

Sounds like the maps/planets are a little tighter than I would’ve wanted. But I loved Assassin’s Creed Odyssey so if there are enough planets it could be about the same as going between the islands there but in space instead of on the ocean.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
starfield killer
I can play Starfield in September. No one can play Outlaws at all until Mid 2024 or later if delayed. Even longer if you wait for it to come off UPlay if it ever does. Kind of a silly thing to say.

------------------

Onto the topic at hand large world will be good if it's full of stuff to do and not just empty space. If it's filled with encounters like BotW/TotK or Elder Scrolls then it could be good but most Ubisoft Sandbox games tend to lose their novelty with MMO reputation grinds.

Cautiously optimistic.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
i just wanted to play as a jedi in an open world game, not pricness leia
90% of Star Wars games are about Jedi/Sith. It's actually quite refreshing to be a Smuggler again. The last time Smuggler with a lead role was Dash Rendar in Shadows of the Empire pretty sure.
dashy.jpg

Which SotE was also during and between Episode V and VI as well. Might be a cameo or tie in to look forward to.

Star Wars games starring characters with little to no Force Sensitivity are rare. I'd much prefer a Princess Leia over another Jedi Prodigy. Past Dash the closest you got was Kyle Katarn but he was Force Sensitive.

Last edited:

simpatico

I can't think of an existing game that filled a land mass the size of AC:O that was interesting throughout. Makes ya wonder what exactly they mean by "hand crafted". AC open worlds specifically are some of the most barren open worlds. Nothing to find, nothing to do.

Reactions: Isa

Zannegan

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF

I clearly have doubts about all that stated concerning size and handcrafting, I must see it to believe it.
I mean, there are some pretty broad loopholes in there. I don't doubt that key locations are handcrafted, as stated, but the rest is kind of open to interpretation.

If I had to guess, I'd say the map is set rather than generated for individual players as in Starfield, but I very much doubt those large open spaces on the map were all "handcrafted" during development. And who would want them to be anyway?

Neon Xenon

Going off the gameplay walkthrough (still in-development), Star Wars Outlaws looks promising to me, at the very least. The visuals are nice, gameplay seems solid enough at this point (but I want to see more later into development), and Kay Vess herself currently seems like an enjoyable protag to play as; I don't feel like there's a writer/writers trying too hard to give her personality like with some other titles (and I think she's cute, must be the freckles).

At this stage of Outlaws, I'm not hyped but I am interested enough to keep an eye on it. Very much on "We'll See" status. Personally, I don't know how much I'm going to want to play an open world game when this releases, as I've fallen out of the that particular style of game over the years.

I'm happy to be interested in something related to Star Wars, not that it's really a surprise it's a game, because it sure as fuck isn't going to be something from the Film or TV side.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
handcrafted my ass. generated terrain slopes ad enemies random dropped by devs.
I hate wasting time games. Games are too big, too long and these huge open areas just waste my time

Reactions: Isa

EDMIX

Looks phenomenal but it’s Massive and Ubisoft. Highly skeptical it won’t get downgraded before release. Still scarred from The Division 2014 reveal. I agree about the main character-she needs more personality and sass. Guess they just didn’t want to make a female Solo.

?

I mean...you are talking about a situation from almost a decade ago that the team cleared up better then most teams tbh So from Watchdogs 1 and Division 1, their following sequels only showed footage when the game was actually near complete, since then they don't actually show early footage of titles until it has working functions, its why I'm sure of this games spring or summer 2024 release, that is generally what Ubisoft has been doing since those games reveals, so I find it odd to say this, yet that wasn't the case with Watchdogs 2, 3, The Division 2 etc.

We can stop pretending that was some on going thing that they continue till this day or something lol

I feel pretty good that what they are showing, is indeed how that game will look as they have some talented teams when it comes to environmental stuff. I don't see enough here to doubt that any of that can be done.

So I question why get scared from a reveal from 2013, that clearly didn't continue that same trend with Division 2 or Watchdogs 2 or 3 etc? I mean, why cherry pick that reveal and then ignore the rest of the generation when their policy changed regarding reveals?

G-Bus

Banned
It all sounds great on paper. Probably where it ends too

Hope im wrong.

Last edited:
Lol they are throwing shade at starfield. Because they KNOW Bethesda is going to have procedurally generated quests and locations.

Yet people will go at cyberpunk when they hand wrote everything also...shows gamers dont care and just want mindless exploration. I.E. souls and totk craze

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Have not followed this at all...does the main character have the force or a light saber?

'Cause....they need the force and a light saber if I am going to spend AC: Odyssey amounts of time playing this game.

dottme

I like everything I have seen about Star Wars Outlaw. But then I also know there’s Ubisoft behind it.
So I don’t know how to feel about it.

unlurkified

Fair
?

I mean...you are talking about a situation from almost a decade ago that the team cleared up better then most teams tbh So from Watchdogs 1 and Division 1, their following sequels only showed footage when the game was actually near complete, since then they don't actually show early footage of titles until it has working functions, its why I'm sure of this games spring or summer 2024 release, that is generally what Ubisoft has been doing since those games reveals, so I find it odd to say this, yet that wasn't the case with Watchdogs 2, 3, The Division 2 etc.

We can stop pretending that was some on going thing that they continue till this day or something lol

I feel pretty good that what they are showing, is indeed how that game will look as they have some talented teams when it comes to environmental stuff. I don't see enough here to doubt that any of that can be done.

So I question why get scared from a reveal from 2013, that clearly didn't continue that same trend with Division 2 or Watchdogs 2 or 3 etc? I mean, why cherry pick that reveal and then ignore the rest of the generation when their policy changed regarding reveals?
Fair. I guess I just haven’t been paying a lot of attention to Ubisoft’s prerelease stuff over the last few years. Lingering distrust is a stubborn thing I suppose.

Ubisoft downgraded division because they underestimated ps4 Xbox power, and those are demo like anthem for players the sense of what the game will look like not actual gameplay, outlaws is different story it's actual gameplay. Ubisoft hasn't downgraded since 2017

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I didn't think so.
It's what makes the original post so ironic. They talk shit about knowing nothing about the character when they themselves know nothing about the character.

Probably confusing the actress who was born in Venezuela which would make them Latino and not Hispanic/African origin. So even then they are incorrect.

Although if they want to correlate the actress to the fictitious character that's just ridiculous.

Top Bottom