• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Outlaws: One Planet Size Equivalent to 2-3 Zones in AC Odyssey, Locations All “Handcrafted”

Tams

Lol they are throwing shade at starfield. Because they KNOW Bethesda is going to have procedurally generated quests and locations.

Yet people will go at cyberpunk when they hand wrote everything also...shows gamers dont care and just want mindless exploration. I.E. souls and totk craze

Souls and TotK/BotW have 'handcrafted' worlds to explore. That makes a huge difference.

They handcrafted every single terrain feature of a modern open-world game without any form of procedural generation to spit out a starting point to work off of? They're doing it 100% by hand, and not just saying it as a cheap marketing trick?

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

DavidGzz

Looks like what I'll play over Starfield. Maybe I'll get both, but this looks more up my alley kind of like Dark Souls was over Skyrim. A smaller handcrafted adventure over bloat.

great, now map sizes are given as a relative unit to a game series that is infamous for having too big maps.

Just make a good game and not big games.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
What counts as a zone in Odyssey? Those regions that you have to conquer in battle? A town? An island? Is it about loading screens? Because you could travel the entire world in Odyssey with no loading.

nemiroff

Gold Member
They handcrafted every single terrain feature of a modern open-world game without any form of procedural generation to spit out a starting point to work off of? They're doing it 100% by hand, and not just saying it as a cheap marketing trick?

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF
Yeah, it appears to "just" be a mix of generated elevation data/terrain manipulated in post and with lots of hand-crafted content/hand-placed assets. Not exactly an uncommon way to create games these days.

But with that said, I do appreciate the scope of the game, its just that they explained it in a kinda stupid and disingenuous way.

30fps at 1080p with upscaling to 4K on ps5 and series x. gonna be awesome! then we can all watch youtube videos of the .2% of people with 5090ti graphics cards playing it at 45 - 60fps at 1440p "maxed out" and talk about how awesome it could be if just a little bit better optimized. like, they always make these games jussssst out of reach of what our tech can actually do at the time. with a game this size and the detail and assets required, there's NO WAY possible for it to run looking anywhere CLOSE to what we saw at the gameplay reveal. much less on consoles.

slight edit: just rewatched the gameplay reveal. they may be able to "4k"/60 it on console. it's basically just an assassin's creed game skinned with star wars assets. which is by no means a bad thing. i'm still hopeful! guess we'll know in 2 years!

Last edited:

CamHostage

great, now map sizes are given as a relative unit to a game series that is infamous for having too big maps.

Just make a good game and not big games.

It's not a bulletpoint in the marketing; the guy just answered a question in an interview, and that one key phrase got yanked out to bait some clicks for those who are engaged by metrics.

It means something in the office, it gives a rough estimation of range in a game that otherwise cannot be fully outlined since it's still in development, and it makes for a good headline... click or don't if it interest you, but don't kill the messenger.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Me too , but honestly this SW game looks good, my last SW game was KOTOR so maybe I will be back with this one..basically because is set between the original trilogy.
My issue is that Star Wars is a tightly controlled universe which means there will always be creative restrictions limiting what can be done without approval from Disney.

Meanwhile, The Division is a completely original IP exploring a really interesting (and frighteningly real) threat to our modern way of life and I would love more of it.

maxresdefault.jpg

I’m just poking fun at the ridiculousness of this conversation and the fact that it’s even a conversation in the first place. I don’t personally care.
I thought she was biracial but I guess she's Latino. Regardless point still stands. We don't know 2 shits about the character, and the only reasonable assumption is the original poster was upset she is either a women, a minority, or both

I thought she was biracial but I guess she's Latino. Regardless point still stands. We don't know 2 shits about the character, and the only reasonable assumption is the original poster was upset she is either a women, a minority, or both
To take this seriously for a minute, the issue is that if you feel someone secretly is being that way, you have to let them walk into that door themselves or else everything becomes a game of plausible deniability. After that it will 180 on you(meaning you will be seen as the combative problem figure of the thread) because you’re outrageously pointing fingers without any small sign of concrete leading evidence.

The same thing happened amongst posters in that Capcom N-word thread(that’s now closed), because there were people very carefully jumping through hoops to justify N-word(with a hard r) usage. It becomes a mind game/battle of wits at that point and you have to play it just as smart and as safe as the people you’re accusing, until they make the slip up first. From that thread I think only one guy actually got banned, and it wasn’t even because of that thread, but because he got away with so much in that thread he started being cocky with his posts in other threads afterwards.

Ultimately though, my entire post is based on an assumption of an assumption 🤷‍♂️ which to me is dumb, so I simply find it all to be funny.

To take this seriously for a minute, the issue is that if you feel someone secretly is being that way, you have to let them walk into that door themselves or else everything becomes a game of plausible deniability. After that it will 180 on you(meaning you will be seen as the combative problem figure of the thread) because you’re outrageously pointing fingers without any small sign of concrete leading evidence.

The same thing happened amongst posters in that Capcom N-word thread(that’s now closed), because there were people very carefully jumping through hoops to justify N-word(with a hard r) usage. It becomes a mind game/battle of wits at that point and you have to play it just as smart and as safe as the people you’re accusing, until they make the slip up first. From that thread I think only one guy actually got banned, and it wasn’t even because of that thread, but because he got away with so much in that thread he started being cocky with his posts in other threads afterwards.

Ultimately though, my entire post is based on an assumption of an assumption 🤷‍♂️ which to me is dumb, so I simply find it all to be funny.
This isn't a court with fines or penalties. I don't mind calling people out when it's quite obvious they are being sexist, racist, or homophobic(even if they are not directly stating it). There are a lot of gamers that are bigots, more than a small minority.

And the bigots here aren't stupid enough to outright post those their bigoted thoughts, so they use vague, coded, or broad language to get their bigoted views across on the forum. They should be called out for that

Last edited:
This isn't a court with fines or penalties. I don't mind calling people out when it's quite obvious they are being sexist, racist, or homophobic(even if they are not directly stating it). There are a lot of gamers that are bigots, more than a small minority.

And the bigots here aren't stupid enough to outright post those their bigoted thoughts, so they use vague, coded, or broad language to get their bigoted views across on the forum. They should be called out for that
There was no obviousness yet. The problem is that you're lumping a bunch of audiences together and making a claim before more was even said or presented. The guy who simply wants a customizable character isn't the same guy who wants to simply play as a jedi, and that guy isn't the same as the guy who simply prefers male avatars, and that guy isn't the same as the guy who genuinely doesn't like poc main characters/women.

Only one out of the 4 people I've listed can potentially lead to bigotry. However, when you're lumping all of these people together, you end up pushing the first 3(who might be plain old decent guys with a personal preference) into one cramped box. That's why these types of conversations should usually be way more nuanced than this but they end up being twitter-style mudslinging with zero basis. It's what ends up making those first 3 guys just as bad as the 4th, because they did nothing wrong but were told that they're bad people/bigots.

There was no obviousness yet. The problem is that you're lumping a bunch of audiences together and making a claim before more was even said or presented. The guy who simply wants a customizable character isn't the same guy who wants to simply play as a jedi, and that guy isn't the same as the guy who simply prefers male avatars, and that guy isn't the same as the guy who genuinely doesn't like poc main characters/women.

Only one out of the 4 people I've listed can potentially lead to bigotry. However, when you're lumping all of these people together, you end up pushing the first 3(who might be plain old decent guys with a personal preference) into one cramped box. That's why these types of conversations should usually be way more nuanced than this but they end up being twitter-style mudslinging with zero basis. It's what ends up making those first 3 guys just as bad as the 4th, because they did nothing wrong but were told that they're bad people/bigots.
People don't hide behind vague language like that unless its something they can't or don't want to say outright. If they wanted to play as a Jedi or custimize their own character, they could of stated it in just as many words as "I dont like the main character". Normal posts are not so obtuse with their language like that

I'm not saying it's impossible the poster wasn't coming from malice place. But that comment can easily perceived that way. Enough, where it got a bunch of "likes", from people with more than likely bigoted views

People don't hide behind vague language like that unless its something they can't or don't want to say outright. If they wanted to play as a Jedi or custimize their own character, they could of stated it in just as many words as "I dont like the main character". Normal posts are not so obtuse with their language like that

I'm not saying it's impossible the poster wasn't coming from malice place. But that comment can easily perceived that way. Enough, where it got a bunch of "likes", from people with more than likely bigoted views

CamHostage

...Can we just MOD that whole side-topic out, or can we start over?

(Or do we even need to bump this? Edge has other interesting quotes from Massive here than the one headlined about some vague notion of how big the open-world planets will be, this whole thread is either arguing about race or asking what "2-3 zones" means and neither discussion is getting us anywhere...)

...Can we just MOD that whole side-topic out, or can we start over?
No need, I'm done derailing. I could go further but I think me and rhodesianshepard rhodesianshepard have both said our piece on how we feel. I just don't want the guy jumping out of the window making too many accusatory comments. That's a one way ticket to ban street.

On topic I am really looking forward to this game. I feel like haven't really had that space adventure itch scratched since Mass Effect Andromeda. Outer Worlds was okay but everything the story hinged I just didn't care about because it was so ham-fisted. Hopefully these worlds aren't filled with filler like many here are worried about.

Meicyn

Gold Member
They never fixed the random crashes that plague Divison 2 to this day on PC!
Yep, I doubt I’d still be playing it if I were on PC. It’s undoubtedly a huge part of what’s kept the playerbase from expanding more. Hopefully they resolve whatever the problem is, especially since they’re all-in on new content with another story DLC and a new area in New York coming in winter.

Top Bottom