• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Star Wars' Shocker: Marvel's Kevin Feige Developing New Movie for Disney

MilkyJoe

I'm not virtue signalling anything, you're just overeacting over nothing.
I think Anti-SJW's are just as annoying as SJW's to be quite frank.

Every single traditionally male franchise is led by a woman /teenage girl. Every one. What makes one franchise woke and not the other.

PS your either against SJW culture or against anti-SJW. There's no middle ground.

sol_bad

Every single traditionally male franchise is led by a woman /teenage girl. Every one. What makes one franchise woke and not the other.

PS your either against SJW culture or against anti-SJW. There's no middle ground.

Really? Do you really believe that last sentence? The anti-SJW crowd are whinging over stupid and moronic stuff too.
I personally just enjoy movies. I don't try and figure out what a movies agenda is or what they are trying to say politically before I see them. It's the story, characters, creative team and actors that I care about. Terminator: Dark Fate has Cameron and Miller in the drivers seat, how can I not be excited about that?

Back to the topic on hand. Feige has helped make 23 films and 21 of them are good to great. Almost every film has made nearly a billion dollars. He knows what audiences want and he knows what he is doing. He understands the Marvel and Star Wars universes. Just because he is adding a few extra women and minorities to the MCU does not make me doubt his ability to produce a good film.

If you want to sit on your lounge and/or desk and cry about the invasion of women and minorities in cinema than so be it. But I understand that the MCU and Marvel movies are an internationally recognized franchise. I also understand that there are many different cultures in this worlds 7.5 billion population, you and I, the white male, we aren't all that matters.
I will get pissed off if they gender and race swap a character that makes zero sense however But what the MCU has done so far is not offensive. Star Wars on the other hand hasn't done anything like that, it's only added new characters.

Way too late to the party. I was going to title it, "Well, the first adamantium stronk proof evidence that the apocalypse is definitely coming has appeared. Your skepticism of it is worthless. It's coming. We're fucked." when I saw the title of Universal Treasure that everyone loves 100% and wants to have his babies, Critical Drinker.

Him not having 10 million subs is a fucking crime. Go subscribe if you haven't you traitors to excellence and existence itself...you bastards. :messenger_heart: U ALL

TUROK

I'd say "now we're gonna get a Star Wars film where everyone's a comedian" but the new trilogy is already kinda like that.

I'm mad jealous at his success, though. Dude's living the nerd dream, so more power to him.

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

If you want to sit on your lounge and/or desk and cry about the invasion of women and minorities in cinema than so be it.

You gave yourself away as an SJW because of this statement. You tried, just couldn't keep it up. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

It's not about women and minorities, it's about shoehorning women and minorities as the primary focus at the expense of the story.

These movies are SHIT. And I'm sorry to break it to you, the MCU is the same movie over and over. They are mostly shit too. Feige is not a welcome addition to the Star Wars franchise.

Meh. I'm at the point where I just wish star wars would end.

It ended with Jedi.

Last edited:

sol_bad

You gave yourself away as an SJW because of this statement. You tried, just couldn't keep it up. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

It's not about women and minorities, it's about shoehorning women and minorities as the primary focus at the expense of the story.

These movies are SHIT. And I'm sorry to break it to you, the MCU is the same movie over and over. They are mostly shit too. Feige is not a welcome addition to the Star Wars franchise.

It ended with Jedi.

I'm not SJW or anti-SJW but think what you want to think
And you're allowed to hate MCU films.
:messenger_ok::messenger_ok::messenger_ok:

pel1300

It's only getting leftist and woke if your fucking life is run by politics. God damn whinging babies who lean right.

One fucking movie out of 23 with a female lead. 2-3 gender swapped characters out of 100+ in the released films. Yeah, Eternals characters are being switched up but no one knows them so who cares as long as the story is good.

An Asian lead super hero film, after 15 white male lead films. OMG. It must be a painful life for you if that hurts your pride and soul.

There are 2 female lead TV shows on Disney+, how horrible that it doesn't match the 4 male lead TV shows.

Cry me a god damn river ya ..... baby.

*EDIT*
Yes, I overreacted with this post.
I'm in a region of the world where I'm surrounded by very apolitical people. They don't follow western politics and have uttered similar concerns about the future of the MCU. And they laughed at THAT scene in Endgame. I've been asked multiple times "Why would Marvel put that scene in there?"

The 007 story really blew up. Many people who aren't big movie buffs heard about it thanks to it being covered on every light night talk show and presented as a positive moment in history. The ones I know who don't care about SJW in movies - this was their breaking point. One of them was a staunch campaigner for Idris Elba (spelling) to be Bond, he thought a white 007 being a serial womanizer was outdated in 2019. He loved Arya being the hero of season 8 GoT. But he got pissed off at the 007 news story and he's really worried about it now.

Then he saw the Batwoman trailer I sent him for laughs. He didn't find it funny. He was actually feeling insulted. He asked me "Who is this for? What are they trying to accomplish?".....and he's a university professor in Chicago, and as left as it gets. He grew up in LA like me but moved to San Francisco for getting his PhD. Super left leaning. So much that he hated temporarily living in New Mexico and moved to San Francisco ASAP. But now he is even getting a bit overwhelmed by these recent announcements like Natalie Portman Thor, black Ariel, and female 007. It got him to start researching this shit, and a few weeks later he messaged me and said "You know how you find out if a movie is sucky? When there is a high critics score and a low audience score" and linked me to The Last Jedi rotten tomatoes site lol. To this day he refuses to watch it based on what he has heard. "Dude I'm not watching that trash" were his words when I asked him to watch it just for laughs. It's funny seeing him going down this rabbit hole that I went through in mid 2018.

EDIT: I also, went a bit overboard with this post (too long).

Last edited:

sol_bad

I live in the Philippines currently, there is no left/right here and people don't think the MCU is going "woke". I saw Endgame 3 times at the cinema and people didn't laugh at "that scene".

RE the MCU, if Shang Chi and The Eternals had launched the franchise back in 2008, you wouldn't hear all this woke bullcrap, people would just accept it and see it if they liked the trailer.

007 I can't comment on as I know nothing about the story. But I'm sure you could imagine other agents have had the 007 moniker before, male or female.

Catwoman looks fucking terrible and shuts all over the Batman legacy.

RE Last Jedi, it's cool that your friend wants to judge a movie without seeing it I guess. Just because a critics score is high and audience score is low doesn't automatically mean it's a bad film. I just started watching the Studio A24 filmography and quite a few are like that, high critic and low audience. Movies like Under The Skin, The Lobster and to a lesser extent Enemy.

I also see absolutely nothing wrong with diversifying the cast in Star Wars. I don't understand why it would be an issue.

ManaByte

The 007 thing was clickbaited into something it’s not. At the beginning of the movie he’s retired and there’s a new 007. But that’s just the very beginning of the movie.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
The 007 thing was clickbaited into something it’s not. At the beginning of the movie he’s retired and there’s a new 007. But that’s just the very beginning of the movie.
That's how I saw it too, but I just have a hard time believing they'd let him take back the 007 title from someone they went out of their way to describe as "a brilliant, young black woman".

Personally I think they idea of Bond having to cope with the fact that he's been replaced sounds cool, I'm just skeptical of them being able to tell that story without it coming off as completely agenda driven.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Again, do you really think they're going to have an old white dude take back his title from a young black woman in our modern climate? Keep in mind it's Craig's final film and his run has been all about giving up or not being able to keep up as a 00. He's not getting it back. Whether the franchise continues with her is another matter but she's leaving this movie as 007.

ManaByte

Again, do you really think they're going to have an old white dude take back his title from a young black woman in our modern climate? Keep in mind it's Craig's final film and his run has been all about giving up or not being able to keep up as a 00. He's not getting it back. Whether the franchise continues with her is another matter but she's leaving this movie as 007.

Yes he takes it back. Broccoli publicly said Bond would never be a woman, that’s why Eon made Rhythm Section, it’s their “female Bond” franchise they can point to and say “you want a female 007? There you go”.

Eon cares more about preserving Bond than caving into the “current climate”. That’s why they made a whole new franchise instead of changing Bond.

They are on netflix. Seems like not only have you not watched MCU films, but you haven't kept up with the movie trend in hollywood. People aren't gonna pay to watch a 90 minute action adventure at the movie theaters anymore. This ain't the 80s or the 90s. I saw Rambo, a 90 minute action flick. I liked it. The movie is bombing at the BO.

Shill media have been attacking that movie before it even came out though, and spinning it with their own political meanderings. Since a lot of regular folks still go to those media types to trust their opinions, they may've been duped into thinking the movie is something it isn't. If all things were fair then yeah, I'd say it's because audiences aren't into '90-minute flicks or whatever. But that isn't exactly the case.

Plus, there's some pushback to these movies getting overly long now. Endgame had some pushback over its length. Almost everyone who's seen IT Chapter 2 agrees it could've cut out a lot of filler and been better off for it, etc. Most movies work best around that 90-110 minute mark, don't know why Hollywood's forgotten that because it worked in the past for a good reason.

I don't think anyone cares. Same with the next James Bond. People eyeroll and skip it.

Don't think this is true. Most regular people don't give a flying hoot about the cultural politics going on in media right now, from either side, and I can't say I blame them. Though it does mean unfortunately that stuff like Captain Marvel makes bank and films that actually have natural diversity and are good stories at the same time, like Alita, struggle to find a big enough audience financially.

...and it doesn't help when shill media attack things like Alita, Sticks & Stones etc. because they don't pander to far-leftists SJW sensibilities and remember to be entertainment while not turning into soapboxes.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Yes he takes it back. Broccoli publicly said Bond would never be a woman, that’s why Eon made Rhythm Section, it’s their “female Bond” franchise they can point to and say “you want a female 007? There you go”.

Eon cares more about preserving Bond than caving into the “current climate”. That’s why they made a whole new franchise instead of changing Bond.

Exactly, they said Bond would never be a woman, 007 being a woman is fair game so Lynch keeping the title at the end of the movie doesn't break their promise to keep Bond as a male. Again, I'm not saying she is going to be 007 in her own movies or franchise but I see little chance of them taking it away from her in this movie. We'll all see what happens when it comes out though.

So, bullying tactics essentially? Yeah, this is why I'm a "normie" again. Fuck that shit xD. I've been on both sides of this fight and can say with certainty they're both ultimately kinda retarded now.

But at least I can notice stuff that's truly pandering to either side and trash it fairly. It has helped me to be more discerning in analyzing entertainment while not being paranoid.

And funnily enough, makes me want to judge work by its actual technical and subjective qualities more than ever, rather than harping on "Raar! Wahmen this! Minorities that! Gays here! Rabba rabba rabba" I've been seeing from so many SJWs and anti-SJWs now. That shit's just tiring and boring :S.

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

Shill media have been attacking that movie before it even came out though, and spinning it with their own political meanderings. Since a lot of regular folks still go to those media types to trust their opinions, they may've been duped into thinking the movie is something it isn't. If all things were fair then yeah, I'd say it's because audiences aren't into '90-minute flicks or whatever. But that isn't exactly the case.

Plus, there's some pushback to these movies getting overly long now. Endgame had some pushback over its length. Almost everyone who's seen IT Chapter 2 agrees it could've cut out a lot of filler and been better off for it, etc. Most movies work best around that 90-110 minute mark, don't know why Hollywood's forgotten that because it worked in the past for a good reason.

Don't think this is true. Most regular people don't give a flying hoot about the cultural politics going on in media right now, from either side, and I can't say I blame them. Though it does mean unfortunately that stuff like Captain Marvel makes bank and films that actually have natural diversity and are good stories at the same time, like Alita, struggle to find a big enough audience financially.

...and it doesn't help when shill media attack things like Alita, Sticks & Stones etc. because they don't pander to far-leftists SJW sensibilities and remember to be entertainment while not turning into soapboxes.

SJW in media has been picked up by even my eldest relatives, they don't know the words but they know they've had enough.

Top Bottom