• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens |OT| A New Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.
I listened to the soundtrack and don't think I heard the music that was in the Super Bowl trailer. Did I miss it or is there a seperate track for that?

I can't believe that I've seen people on the Internet who say that this movie is worse than attack of the clones. I mean,we all have our own opinions,but really?

Saw it again today. I'm starting to warm up to this film. I came out of my first viewing deeply disappointed, but it isn't as bad as I had originally thought. It has it's problems, but she's got it where it counts.

Overall, better than the prequels, but I still think the people ranking it alongside Hope or Empire are crazy. It's on par, if not slightly better than Jedi to me, and that's as far as I'm willing to go for now. I'd put it higher if it had
been more original and didn't retread so much familiar territory

Completely agree.

imo the pacing and writing were the best in the series, but rehashing the earlier tales (regardless of why they did it) knocks the film down a few points.

Entertaining movie...but not great.

Just saw it for the first time today and loved it. I'm absolutely okay with the retreading stuff. It makes sense with the themes of the OT with everything coming about in a circle.

My only complaints were is that the cg Ma'za character in the cantina looked weird mixed with human actors and the Taco Supreme Leader was a bit corny looking being cg, it looked a little like something I would see out of a Marvel film and not Star Wars. Wish they would have gone with a human actor for that one, maybe use prosthetics a la Darth Maul.

Other than that I loved it.

edit: I also wonder if JJ is giving a nod to different things in pop culture at times.

Ma'za, the orange thing looked awfully a lot like Raz from Psychonauts.

psychonauts_raz.png

So can well all agree that while Finn
isn't a jedi, there are signs leaning to the fact that he is indeed force sensitive
(like Leia)?

Surfinn

Well I think we can see why the film is making so much money.

Six times? Goddamn.

Yeah and I gotta say.. please see this movie in a theater with a big, clear screen and a LOUD, booming sound system. Makes a huge difference as a theater experience. IMAX was well worth the price of admission.. nothing quite like seeing the opening crawl jump out at you and their speakers/surround sound/bass were incredible. 3D worked surprisingly well.. I was stunned. Changed the feel of a few entire scenes.

I saw it a couple times without those things and it was still great, just not nearly the same.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Saw it a second time yesterday, was just as good as the first time. I even got teary-eyed at the same points, even though I knew exactly what was coming this time. Damn great.

witness

Going to be weird not seeing it this weekend. We are at 4 times so far and plan on going 6 total. Most my wife and I have seen a movie in theaters was 5 times. It's just such a joy to see.

Horseress

I've never watched a movie more than once in theaters, but I've already watched this movie 2 times and I wanna watch it again next week. It's that good

I suppose my major problems:

Music was very low key non existent. The bad guy did not have his own theme. A lot of the scenes was very quiet.

Rey's character did not have any flaws and very little internal conflict that mattered. I liked watching her, it just wasn't very satisfactory.

Star Wars fan service made the film seem like a parody of itself. I'd have preferred they didnt drag out the dessicated corpses of the former cast and start fresh.

Finns character, who i mostly liked, kept doing stuff and reacting in ways that brought me out of the film. Very annoying.

The action scenes and shots did not invoke Star Wars for me. There was some decent ones, but I'd have to watch it again to pin point what the problem was, and I really couldn't be bothered.

The bad guys were sooooo bad, to parody levels of terribleness. So bad. No menace, just teenage angst.

There was no galactic feel. It all felt very provincial. Hyperspace seemed to only take moments. At one point I thought everything took place in the one system. Again this has to do with how it was shot. The rebellion camp seemed like they'd setup a few boxes in someone's field. Maybe its the way it was shot.

The pacing was too hectic.

On the positive there were a couple of decent scenes with characters and some funny bits, but the rest fell totally flat for me, probably because I watched IV and V a few days ago and they are much better.

I respect your opinions and they pretty much summarize the few critiques I've seen of the film.

I definitely don't agree with them (it's 2nd to ESB and maybe 1st overall for me), but you're not in uncharted territory here.

So can well all agree that while Finn
isn't a jedi, there are signs leaning to the fact that he is indeed force sensitive
(like Leia)?

I think Leia is actually strong in the force (obviously) whereas Finn is more like Han Solo - he is likely force sensitive (note Han shooting a stormtrooper without looking) - but he isn't gonna be running around in robes and building his own lightsaber any time soon.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Got to see it for the first time the other day. Went with my wife, two year old and four year old. I really enjoyed the movie, but it did mirror the story beats of the first movie a little too closely with a little bit of Empire thrown in. I get the feeling that this was deliberate though, just to let everyone know that this trilogy is going to be firmly in the camp of the original trilogy and not the prequels. My kids were less impressed - my 2 year old enjoyed the first ten minutes then promptly fell asleep on my lap. My 4 year old watched the first half before getting bored and was just goofing off, quietly thank God, for the rest of the movie.
Theater was pretty much full, which surprised me for a matinee so far out from release.

Ugh FINALLY getting a chance to go see it tonight. I intended to see it around Christmas but I got a nasty virus, and then my sister caught what I had but it turned into acute bronchitis for her and then after that it's just been a matter of our work schedules not matching up.

I did a really good job of avoiding spoilers until today. The day I finally get to go see it, I'm playing Smash and someone randomly decides to post BIG SPOILERS
Han Solo Dies
on the Miiverse stage. ARGH! What are the odds?

Sure hope the rest of the movie is still worth it.

Ugh FINALLY getting a chance to go see it tonight. I intended to see it around Christmas but I got a nasty virus, and then my sister caught what I had but it turned into acute bronchitis for her and then after that it's just been a matter of our work schedules not matching up.

I did a really good job of avoiding spoilers until today. The day I finally get to go see it, I'm playing Smash and someone randomly decides to post BIG SPOILERS
Han Solo Dies

It is. Enjoy the ride.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Han Solo Dies

Someone in BF4 had their name as
handiesattheend
in a game I was playing a few days before I saw it. Its not really a big deal, its not going to impact your enjoyment of the movie. Leias reaction to the news might though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom