• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi Official Teaser

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think her screaming "come back", then having that person or those people actually not be genuinely important to Rey, ESPECIALLY considering she's waiting there literally her entire life she then to return.. And even demands to return to Jakku to continue waiting for them after she ESCAPES Jakku.. makes any sense, narratively.
I'm not saying they're not genuinely important to her, I'm saying she might not be genuinely important to them.

Surfinn

I'm not saying they're not genuinely important to her, I'm saying she might not be genuinely important to them.
But I'm saying I don't think that makes any sense, given her undying devotion to them. It's really contrived storytelling

"She devotes her life to seeing them again but by the way they tricked her into caring about them. They don't care about her at all"

sphagnum

Banned
I do think it will be a huge missed opportunity if Old Man Luke doesn't do at least one crazy Force power thing we haven't seen. I don't want him to just mope and be a deconstruction of the Jedi or whatever.

I want him to lift up a mountain or cause a tsunami or something. Heck, have him flow-walk.

Loris146

As much as I'm looking forward to seeing a bitter Luke and (at long last) the possible end of the Jedi Order, I have a terrible feeling that there's going to be a terrible split among the hardcore Star Wars community come the release of the movie.

For the past 34 years people have had time to put Luke on a massive pedestal (fuelled in large part by the old EU canon which essentially apotheosised him), and to fantasize about the great and mighty deeds he achieves and how he restores the Jedi Order back to glory, on his path of becoming the greatest Jedi who has ever lived, and who ever will live. Now however, it looks like we ain't going to get that Luke whom people fantasized about, far from it in fact, and many people have already started voicing their disappointment, and the voices will get even louder when the movie is out.

Shit is going to hit the fan, people are going to be mad.

The Jedi Order as it was in the prequels is the worst of the worst. Thank god Luke is going to end that shit.

El Topo

For the past 34 years people have had time to put Luke on a massive pedestal (fuelled in large part by the old EU canon which essentially apotheosised him), and to fantasize about the great and mighty deeds he achieves and how he restores the Jedi Order back to glory, on his path of becoming the greatest Jedi who has ever lived, and who ever will live. Now however, it looks like we ain't going to get that Luke whom people fantasized about, far from it in fact, and many people have already started voicing their discontent, and the voices will get even louder when the movie is out.

People will just have to live with Luke not being the greatest, best, wisest, most amazing jedi ever in that case.

Surfinn

As much as I'm looking forward to seeing a bitter Luke and (at long last) the possible end of the Jedi Order, I have a terrible feeling that there's going to be a terrible split among the hardcore Star Wars community come the release of the movie.

For the past 34 years people have had time to put Luke on a massive pedestal (fuelled in large part by the old EU canon which essentially apotheosised him), and to fantasize about the great and mighty deeds he achieves and how he restores the Jedi Order back to glory, on his path of becoming the greatest Jedi who has ever lived, and who ever will live. Now however, it looks like we ain't going to get that Luke whom people fantasized about, far from it in fact, and many people have already started voicing their discontent, and the voices will get even louder when the movie is out.

Shit is going to hit the fan, people are going to be mad.
I'm glad they're taking risks. It's refreshing

But I'm saying I don't think that makes any sense, given her undying devotion to them. It's really awkward storytelling

"She devotes her life to seeing them again but by the way they tricked her into caring about them. They don't care about her at all"
That's not exactly true and there are many instances in many stories with that same thing. Most recently in Teen Titans:The Judas Contract where
Terra devotes herself to Slade, they have a relationship and she genuinely loves him(Slade is like 60 and Terra is 15) and Slade makes her a bunch of promises, says he cares about her to manipulate her into doing what he wants, and it worked. She genuinely loves him and believes he loves her, but at the last moment she sells her. It's part of the characters emotional journey. Slade saved her as a child only to use her until her usefulness ran out
In Adventure Time, the main character Finn was kind of abandoned by his parents. He spends most of the series thinking about his real parents, how great and heroic his dad must be because Finn is genuinely good and heroic, Finn ends up meeting his dad and he's a piece of shit, manipulative and ditches Finn numerous times. These stories aren't wholely original and if anything im of the opinion that they're far more interesting and help the character go through a better and more personal emotional journey.

DeanBDean

The "high ground" was stupid but you get the idea they were going for. Is that what you're referring to?

The high ground is just the cherry on top of stretching believability. I mean, the fight is like 5 minutes long isn't it? They are going through all these crazy locales, swinging and dodging all over in a highly choreographed way, that feels fake to me.

The TFA saber fight feels more like a real sword fight. It just feels brutal and raw, and it's much more interesting and visually appealing to me than anything in RotS

sphagnum

Banned
The high ground is just the cherry on top of stretching believability. I mean, the fight is like 5 minutes long isn't it? They are going through all these crazy locales, swinging and dodging all over in a highly choreographed way, that feels fake to me.

The TFA saber fight feels more like a real sword fight. It just feels brutal and raw, and it's much more interesting and visually appealing to me than anything in RotS

They both work for their respective eras. One battle has two of the top Jedi ever from a time when they were trained in gallantry and flashy fighting due to 1000 years of peace where they had nothing to do but perfect their form. The other has an angsty Vader wannabe and someone who doesn't know what she's doing.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
The "high ground" was stupid but you get the idea they were going for. Is that what you're referring to?

Not even that bit to be honest. The whole Obi v Ani fight is just so ridiculous it's embarrassing to watch. Spinning lightsabers all over the show for no reason, weird unnatural jumps onto tiny platforms floating in lava, swinging from ropes etc. Just over the top flashiness to the point of being silly and losing all gravitas.

Then there's the awful Sheev and Jedi Masters scene, how that got through editing I'll never understand, followed by the terrible looking fight with Mace.

Also Yoda and the Emperor. Again completely over the top and neither should ever have been using a lightsaber in the first place.

Surfinn

That's not exactly true and there are many instances in many stories with that same thing. Most recently in Teen Titans:The Judas Contract where
Terra devotes herself to Slade, they have a relationship and she genuinely loves him(Slade is like 60 and Terra is 15) and Slade makes her a bunch of promises, says he cares about her to manipulate her into doing what he wants, and it worked. She genuinely loves him and believes he loves her, but at the last moment she sells her. It's part of the characters emotional journey. Slade saved her as a child only to use her until her usefulness ran out
In Adventure Time, the main character Finn was kind of abandoned by his parents. He spends most of the series thinking about his real parents, how great and heroic his dad must be because Finn is genuinely good and heroic, Finn ends up meeting his dad and he's a piece of shit, manipulative and ditches Finn numerous times. These stories aren't wholely original and if anything im of the opinion that they're far more interesting and help the character go through a better and more personal emotional journey.
There's a difference between being then advantage of in a relationship and the context of waiting your entire life for your "family" to return. I'm not familiar with the examples provided though. It's already established that she's met them and cares for them. She's not wondering who they are, she already knows (whoever left her, regardless of if they're her real family). The first thing we find out about her is that she was left by her family, and she misses them/wants them to return. Her being tricked into caring for them feels contrived to me, with what we're presented with in TFA.

Maybe it's possible. Maybe they do it well. But I don't feel like that's the route they're gunna take, given the context.

There's a difference between being then advantage of in a relationship and the context of waiting your entire life for your "family" to return. I'm not familiar with the examples provided though. It's already established that she's met them and cares for them. She's not wondering who they are, she already knows (that she cares for whoever left her, regardless of if they're her real family). The first thing we find out about her is that she was left by her family, and she misses them/wants them to return. Her being tricked into caring for them feels contrived to me, with what we're presented with in TFA.

Maybe it's possible. Maybe they do it well. But I don't feel like that's the route they're gunna take.
I'm not saying it's likely and it's not what I'm saying is going to happen, I'm just saying it's entirely possible.

Something else I noticed in TFA is that Leia isn't hugging her for her own sake. She's hugging Rey because she's shook and about to break down when she gets back to the resistance. Leia has a calm composure and looks entirely fine, but it's Rey that's practically breaking into tears.

Which is understandable considering she just watched Han die, Finn get injured and face off against Kylo Ren on a collapsing planet.

Chuckie

I guess "fun" is the wrong word to apply to a universal standard for assessing movies. It's kind of like a mix of interesting, engaging, and satisfying. I just don't like separating the "better" or "objectively good" movies with the easily ridicule-able and cheesy ones because they all can have their merits.

They do all have their merits, and I am starting to understand your point. But I still think there are objective points that can determine that a movie is better than another.
For instance The Dark Knight. It simply is a better movie than The Dark Knight Rises. But for some reason I think TDKR is a lot more rewatchable. I enjoy it more than TDK, but I would never try to atgue it is actually the better movie.

I appreciate that! :)

I suppose I find the more high stakes, high drama elements of the movie more compelling. It's tragic, emotional and melancholy. I think it has some real pathos. Maybe I just like tragedy?

It does have a lot of pathos, I am not going to argue that. I totally agree
I'm also not sure I find Anakin's fall to be quite as problematic as a lot of people do. I very much enjoy Anakin and Palpatine's scenes together. The dialog is good, the performances are good and these moments are actually given time to live and breathe unlike so much of The Force Awakens, which is onto the next scene before you're given a chance to settle in to a proper rhythm.

I will disagree on this one. The only good scene between those two is the opera scene, and that is just because of Ian. The rest is ridiculous and totally unbelievable. The whole switch from Ani telling Mace Windu that Palpatine is the Sith Lord, to helping Palpy kill Windu, to turning into Vader while Palpatine tells him he can't actually revive the dead, to killing kids in a time span of about 10 minutes is fucking ridiculous. It is bad story telling, it is bad movie making.
The dialogues weren't good, the acting wasn't good either.

I watched TFA last night and I end up checking out of that movie every time without fail when Rey is captured and Finn reaches the Resistance base. The movie is on autopilot from that point forward and I feel no tension in the finale. The attack on Starkiller base feels perfunctory, Han's death scene simply does not have the impact I expected it would. The saber duel stretches believability etc. I don't know man I've tried so many times with the movie but it just doesn't do it for me.

I agree with you concerning the attack on the base. There was no tension at all. I think that whole base was a mistake in TFA. Kylo killing Han was a bit too predictable to me too, I knew it was going to happen...but I do think it 'had' to be done.
I disagree on the saber duel though, that shit was awesome. It was raw as hell..cutting trees and it showed a really strong Rey, but it also showed she only 'won' because Kylo was fucked up.

Surfinn

I'm not saying it's likely and it's not what I'm saying is going to happen, I'm just saying it's entirely possible.

Something else I noticed in TFA is that Leia isn't hugging her for her own sake. She's hugging Rey because she's shook and about to break down when she gets back to the resistance. Leia has a calm composure and looks entirely fine, but it's Rey that's practically breaking into tears.

Which is understandable considering she just watched Han die, Finn get injured and face off against Kylo Ren on a collapsing planet.
Two noteworthy shots:

Leia hugs Rey

Leia, in another scene, addresses Rey specifically, and calls her by name and says "may the force be with you".

This is all without ever having actually met Rey.

Hmmmmmmm

Two noteworthy shots:

Leia hugs Rey

Leia, in another scene, addresses Rey specifically, and calls her by name and says "may the force be with you".

This is all without ever having actually met Rey.

Hmmmmmmm
May the force be with you is pretty much saying "God bless you" in the star wars universe, it's said to non force sensitives and Chirrut from Rogue One constantly says "I'm one with the force and the force is with me" in addition to there being a million other instances

Leia is a good person and hugs her because she needs comfort and is about to burst into tears when Rey sees her. Leia didn't just run up to her and hug her.

Surfinn

May the force be with you is pretty much saying "God bless you" in the star wars universe, it's said to non force sensitives and Chirrut from Rogue One constantly says "I'm one with the force and the force is with me" in addition to there being a million other instances

Leia is a good person and hugs her because she needs comfort and is about to burst into tears when Rey sees her. Leia didn't just run up to her and hug her.
I get that it's said a lot.. It's more HOW it was said and framed in that particular instance. I think those shots were filmed a little too deliberately. As if.. Leia could sense something about her?

HMMMM.

Time will tell

I think those shots were filmed a little too deliberately. As if.. Leia could sense something about her?

HMMMM.

Time will tell
I don't think you need the force to know that someone crying probably needs comfort. Especially since Leia offers the hug after she notices how shook Rey is,who again is standing still, teeth clenched with watery eyes

Surfinn

I don't think you need the force to know that someone crying probably needs comfort. Especially since Leia offers the hug after she notices how shook Rey is,who again is standing still, teeth clenched with watery eyes
Again, it's the way these shots are framed. And placed in succession.

They feel particularly isolated and deliberate

Again, it's the way these shots are framed. And placed in succession

They feel particularly isolated
Yes, for emotional impact. Every emotional scene in the movie is similar, anything more than that is reading too much into it.

There's also the fact that the story of the trilogy wasn't written when TFA was and Rian Johnson was free to write whatever story he wanted. So I'd argue that there are intentional hooks for the story to go in any direction so that JJ and Kasdan didn't write Rian into a box when he went on to do his film. Whether or not they turn out to be red herrings or not would be entirely up to Rian.

AndersK

People will just have to live with Luke not being the greatest, best, wisest, most amazing jedi ever in that case.

Tragicomically, I'd bet my pet Bantha those same people are having a hard time dealing with Rey being pretty good at a lot of stuff.

I do think it will be a huge missed opportunity if Old Man Luke doesn't do at least one crazy Force power thing we haven't seen. I don't want him to just mope and be a deconstruction of the Jedi or whatever.

I want him to lift up a mountain or cause a tsunami or something. Heck, have him flow-walk.

One, it's Rian Johnson. Two, TFA set the precedent. JJ made sure we knew there was going to be a lot of new things to see and gave Kylo two new powers in his first scenes. Luke will have a new move, I guarantee it. From the rumor mill, it might be the Jedi equivalent of Sith force lightning.

But I'm saying I don't think that makes any sense, given her undying devotion to them. It's really contrived storytelling

I mean, not to sound cold as ice - but it's probably not that hard to trick a 4 year old into thinking you care about them a lot.

Either circumstances were so dire that Plutt was the best they could do and they didn't have long to live anyway, or they really didn't give much of a fuck about her and she just thought they did because they're grownups and she didn't have anyone else.

From the rumor mill, it might be the Jedi equivalent of Sith force lightning.

I want Luke chucking Hadokens. Fuck yes.

Surfinn

Yes, for emotional impact. Every emotional scene in the movie is similar, anything more than that is reading too much into it.

There's also the fact that the story of the trilogy wasn't written when TFA was and Rian Johnson was free to write whatever story he wanted. So I'd argue that there are intentional hooks for the story to go in any direction so that JJ and Kasdan didn't write Rian into a box when he went on to do his film. Whether or not they turn out to be red herrings or not would be entirely up to Rian.
You say it's reading too much into it but recognize that it may be an intentional hook. I think it's the latter, meaning it was deliberately filmed rust way. JJ said it was a mistake that he filmed Rey and Leia hugging.. Could that be because it looks a little too deliberate?

Of course, the RJ could change it. But it can be interpreted as an intentional "maybe", as you acknowledged.
I mean, not to sound cold as ice - but it's probably not that hard to trick a 4 year old into thinking you care about them a lot.

Either circumstances were so dire that Plutt was the best they could do and they didn't have long to live anyway, or they really didn't give much of a fuck about her and she just thought they did because they're grownups and she didn't have anyone else.
Well of course it's possible to do it. But I feel like the context provided in TFA makes the route of "she devotes a life of pure loyalty to the people she screamed "come back" to, but they tricked her and don't actually care about her" feel incredibly contrived to me.

You say it's reading too much into it but recognize that it may be an intentional hook. I think it's the latter, meaning it was deliberately filmed rust way. JJ said it was a mistake that he filmed Rey and Leia hugging.. Could that be because it looks a little too deliberate?

Of course, the RJ could change it. But it can be interpreted as an intentional "maybe", as you acknowledged.

You're misreading what I'm saying. I'm not saying that is an intentional hook in the film. I'm saying that there are intentional hooks in the film. I don't believe that to be one of them. The lightsaber? sure. That particular scene? no.

Surfinn

You're misreading what I'm saying. I'm not saying that is an intentional hook in the film. I'm saying that there are intentional hooks in the film. I don't believe that to be one of them. The lightsaber? sure. That particular scene? no.
What was the point of you bringing up the idea that there are intentional hooks in the film if you're not willing to recognize those scenes as a potential hook? That's what we've been talking about almost on this entire page, the Leia scenes

I want Luke chucking Hadokens. Fuck yes.

Check makingstarwars, one of their earliest set reports. Sith HAD lightning, Jedi or whatever they are now might have
fire.
But that was pure speculation based on an action scene with Luke and
Knights of Ren
on Ach-To. Like I said, Ben showed off new powers in TFA, Luke and Rey (by the end of the film) will have at least one.

What was the point of you bringing up the idea that there are intentional hooks in the film if you're not willing to recognize those scenes as one? That's what we've been talking about almost on this entire page, the Leia scenes

Because I think considering that to be one is reaching. I'm saying there are other instances in the film that could be considered intentional hooks, but considering that one to be one is reaching. Literally just that. Because any arguments surrounding it are incredibly flimsy and end up sounding like conspiracy theories.

At least with the lightsaber you have the fact that her memories are mixed with Luke's and that it was calling to her. But even then you could make a strong argument that that instance isn't tied to bloodline.

Well of course it's possible to do it. But I feel like the context provided in TFA makes the route of "she devotes a life of pure loyalty to the people she screamed "come back" to, but they tricked her and don't actually care about her" feel incredibly contrived to me.

I dont' think it's gonna be a case of "they tricked her" either, but it doesn't seem that contrived.

She's a 4 year old kid. She doesn't really know shit. She doesn't even remember these people, she just remembers that she's waiting for them. After awhile it probably doesn't matter if they're really worth waiting for past a certain point. If that's what drives you and gives you purpose, then that's what you do.

Which is probably why her letting go of that useless waiting was a key aspect in her actually finding her future. It's probable whoever left her there didn't want her to do what she did for the rest of her life.

Surfinn

Because I think considering that to be one is reaching. I'm saying there are other instances in the film that could be considered intentional hooks, but considering that one to be one is reaching. Literally just that. Because any arguments surrounding it are incredibly flimsy and end up sounding like conspiracy theories.

At least with the lightsaber you have the fact that her memories are mixed with Luke's and that it was calling to her. But even then you could make a strong argument that that instance isn't tied to bloodline.
The Leia scenes are more of a gut feeling based on the way they're filmed. I'm not saying they stand as strong evidence.

I'm not using it as a foundation for any theories.

But we can agree to disagree that those scenes weren't filmed intentionally in the way I think they were

And let's not forget they might've wiped her memory. They definitely didn't want her remembering anything and continuing the path she was on.

There's no way around it, they gave her a shitty life no matter how you look at it. Could be why Luke gives the look of "holy shit, the force brought you to me". Dissapointed, not excited lol.

And let's not forget they might've wiped her memory. They definitely didn't want her remembering anything and continuing the path she was on.

There's no way around it, they gave her a shitty life no matter how you look at it. Could be why Luke gives the look of "holy shit, the force brought you to me". Dissapointed, not excited lol.

Well, about that...lol
I'm not going to post it here as I'm trying to refrain from talking about what wasn't in the trailer but whether or not Luke knows anything about Rey has already been confirmed.

Pizza

force users need to wind up fighting like dbz

Gimmie luke chucking energy balls aggressively like broly and shit

The way people in dbz use their ki/energy is more or less the same as weilding the force

Vader used the force to throw himself around, palpatine could sort of fly, and sith users already use force energy attacks

I'm only slightly kidding: a sith using something like Dodon ray is awesome

Surfinn

I dont' think it's gonna be a case of "they tricked her" either, but it doesn't seem that contrived.

She's a 4 year old kid. She doesn't really know shit. She doesn't even remember these people, she just remembers that she's waiting for them. After awhile it probably doesn't matter if they're really worth waiting for past a certain point. If that's what drives you and gives you purpose, then that's what you do.

Which is probably why her letting go of that useless waiting was a key aspect in her actually finding her future. It's probable whoever left her there didn't want her to do what she did for the rest of her life.

That's the thing though.. Unless her memory was altered in some way, she DOES remember them, otherwise she wouldn't have left Jakku and wanted to come back. If she didn't remember them, what would drive her to want to RETURN? I can't think of an explanation.

I don't think it makes much sense to be like "I must loyally wait for my family to return even though I don't remember them", and there's also her screaming "come back".. I don't think she'd react this way if she didn't have some kind of connection to whoever left her.

I feel like her connection to the force and Maz's guidance allowed her to realize that moving forward was the right decision. It finally felt right to let it go.

If her memory got fucked with then all bets are off, really

well I mean, so is Kylo Ren lol

Edit: I find this bit particularly interesting
It showed up as yellow[3] or green energy[5] instead of blue or white, but otherwise it was very similar in both appearance and usage to the Force power known as Force lightning. This power was uncommon and controversial among the Jedi because of its intrinsic association with anger and aggression.

Read further down. It's the usage of Force lightning without fear and aggression but with emotional control and calm.

I mean, but still. I think it lends credence to the idea of Luke forming a new order of force users, using controversial Jedi powers wouldn't have been kosher.

But it also makes sense that they would have access to such an ability considering they're at the first Jedi temple which probably has a ton of ancient force knowledge and what not in their books.

But with that I hope that Snoke takes Kylo Ren to Malachor V or something.

old quote but one I also find to be great.
Adam Driver said:
”It's great. It's similar to how The Empire Strikes Back has a different tone. For that people always go ”oooh, it's dark" but I don't know that it necessarily is. It's just different in tone in a way that I think is great and necessary but also very clear. He trusts [that] his audience is ready for nuance and ambiguity. He's not dumbing anything down for someone and that's really fun to play."

To be more clear about that scene with the new power, sometimes makingstarwars plays coy and they reveal more details over time, sometimes they clarify later it wasn't what they thought. All they said was
Luke confronts the Knights by himself and the hut they're fighting in catches on fire. He takes them all out and they thought maybe this is the light side equivalent of force lightning or what could just be the place catching fire because of the weapons being used.
I would be really, really surprised if he didn't pull something new out though or Rey didn't learn something on her own.

sphagnum

Banned
that sounds impossible to portray in film

Dooku shot Force lightning in AotC with pretty straight face.

Then again, that was done badly.

I don't like the idea of Jedi using Force lightning. Force lightning is really the Sith manipulating the Living Force, bending it to become a weapon, when you think about it. Turning literal life into death. If a Jedi felt the need to use lightning for whatever reason, it should be more like Bendu with weather manipulation, something more in tune with nature.

old quote but one I also find to be great.

Kasdan always points out how everyone brings up that it's the darkest but they always forget to mention it's also the funniest and weirdest as well which he said is the direction 8 was going in.

Dooku shot Force lightning in AotC with pretty straight face.

Then again, that was done badly.

I don't like the idea of Jedi using Force lightning. Force lightning is really the Sith manipulating the Living Force, bending it to become a weapon, when you think about it. Turning literal life into death. If a Jedi felt the need to use lightning for whatever reason, it should be more like Bendu with weather manipulation, something more in tune with nature.

So perhaps using...water or the earth itself? Maybe Rey is just Aang (will master light and dark and everything in between) and Ben is Zuko and they're creating a better live action version of Avatar lol.

Surfinn

I really hope we see night shots on the island. And some cool force powers used with water/ocean, during Rey's training. Could make for some incredible imagery

Kyoufu

I'm worried for Luke. Unless he's going to use the Force's darkside powers to defend himself, I don't see how he'll fend off The First Order's inevitable assault in the film. We see Rey running with Luke's lightsaber still in her possession towards what I assume is Luke caught by Kylo Ren etc. He's screwed, isn't he?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom