• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi Official Teaser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologize if it's already been posted, but Rian Johnson said he moved the scar on Kylo's face because it looked goofy where it originally was.

eJsc.png

Metalmarc

Anyone here ever make your own basic edits of films on tape back in the day? I remember my dad had a bad habit of doing it a lot, He'd take two vhs machines, one to play the movie, one to record it and then he'd pause at the bits he didn't like, and then continue recording, sometimes it was very awkwardly edited, sometimes he'd cut out some bits of a film that i liked.

To be honest quite a few of the films i grew up watching, were actually my Dads edits rather than the actual Movie, years later i'd go buy films i loved, only to find out i hadnt seen the proper edition afterall.

Sometimes he'd also do the LP thing and make up his own movie with plus extras/bonus features like DVD's and i believe some Vhs tapes had (e.g war of the worlds the 50's one, he added a documentary and the music video the cheesy 80's remix theme he taped off Top of the Pops) it was interesting to say the least, but not good quality.

Made for a great fight between him, maul and oppress. So I'll allow it.

I must confess I think the concept in some ways has decent merit, mostly in the moment he brings it up fighting Mace oddly. In a better scripted and choreographed fight, it could be played off as a moment of desperation, and a sign that despite thinking of himself as some grand schemer, at some level he is the same sort of brutal thug that he employs in the likes of Darth Maul and Darth Vader.

As it is, it only serves as something of a small visual divide between his 'youth' and his latter days as Emperor - and even that's screwed up by the fact he's still physically capable enough to use it in his fight with Yoda, where having him rely much more on minions and force powers would have shown his newfound frailty.

Star Wars hasn't explained, to my great annoyance:

-- how shields work
-- how fast ships actually travel
-- how the falcon got to cloud city from another solar system

plus a bunch of little annoyances.

The Emperor using a lightsaber still bugs the shit out of me

Probably the biggest missed opportunity of the prequels -- and I hate RotS for this -- was the ultimate missed opportunity in the fight between Yoda and Sidious.

The location was perfect, but what SHOULD HAVE happened was Yoda and Sidious using the Senate pads to fly around, while using the thousands of others to try to deal a knockout blow.

I must confess I think the concept in some ways has decent merit, mostly in the moment he brings it up fighting Mace oddly. In a better scripted and choreographed fight, it could be played off as a moment of desperation, and a sign that despite thinking of himself as some grand schemer, at some level he is the same sort of brutal thug that he employs in the likes of Darth Maul and Darth Vader.

As it is, it only serves as something of a small visual divide between his 'youth' and his latter days as Emperor - and even that's screwed up by the fact he's still physically capable enough to use it in his fight with Yoda, where having him rely much more on minions and force powers would have shown his newfound frailty.

I guess you could kinda just hand wave it and say that The Emperor of the OT is 20 years older than he was in the PT, and he was already old then, so it kind of fits with the idea of fragility. PT Palpatine was just passed his prime, but still powerful. OT Palpatine is near decrepit.

I guess you could kinda just hand wave it and say that The Emperor of the OT is 20 years older than he was in the PT, and he was already old then, so it kind of fits with the idea of fragility. PT Palpatine was just passed his prime, but still powerful. OT Palpatine is near decrepit.

Aye, hence I bring it up at all in that regard. I just think it would have been better if Windu's scarring of Palpatine really had done a number on him other than his looks - would also contribute to the idea of why he would so push Vader as his apprentice, because he needs the strong servant.

I always thought Yoda vs Palpatine would be like, this tornado of debris surrounding the two just hovering in place as they basically fight inside each other's minds. Some real psychedelic phantasmagoric shit. Think like... I dunno, like Inception + Dark City + Doctor Strange? Something like that.

But yeah, like, backflipping and cackling while slapping glowsticks together and pushing giant drink coasters at each other kinda worked, too.

Guy.brush

-- how shields work
Shields are generated by the subatomic scan and replication of an alloy known as diburnium-osmium, and then projected as a force field beyond a ship's hull along the shield grid
In his initial draft proposal, George Lucasberry established the maximum velocity of the starship as ".73 of one light year per hour". This would translate to a top speed of approximately 6,400 c

Maximum Impulse!

Aye, hence I bring it up at all in that regard. I just think it would have been better if Windu's scarring of Palpatine really had done a number on him other than his looks - would also contribute to the idea of why he would so push Vader as his apprentice, because he needs the strong servant.
Ahhh, okay, gotcha and I agree, that would be a better direction.

Yarbskoo

I always thought Yoda vs Palpatine would be like, this tornado of debris surrounding the two just hovering in place as they basically fight inside each other's minds. Some real psychedelic phantasmagoric shit. Think like... I dunno, like Inception + Dark City + Doctor Strange? Something like that.

But yeah, like, backflipping and cackling while slapping glowsticks together and pushing giant drink coasters at each other kinda worked, too.

Yeah, some kinda crazy reality warping shit would have been better than yet another silly lightsaber battle between cgi muppets.

Guy.brush

How do you see a climatic fight between Snoke vs. Luke or Rey? Will he be a real villain to fight and be victorious against? Or just a pompous hurdle on Kylo's ascension to not-Sith throne?
Still can't see Kylo as the main villain tbh. I mean this guy? That henchman's reaction is right out of Spaceballs.
fE18keE.gif

How do you see a climatic fight between Snoke vs. Luke or Rey? Will he be a real villain to fight and be victorious against? Or just a pompous hurdle on Kylo's ascension to not-Sith throne?
Still can't see Kylo as the main villain tbh. I mean this guy? That henchman's reaction is right out of Spaceballs.
fE18keE.gif
Snoke is definitely a powerful dark side user, and he's going to turn Kylo into one too. The book excerpts I posted earlier go into that a bit. I don't expect you to find them but apparently Snoke has been influencing and preying on Kylo since before he was born, because of his lineage.

What I think is interesting though, is not only because he's the grandson of Vader, but because he has an equal balance of light and dark, from Luke and from Vader.

Should have been heavily forced based, aye. I mean, that's actually kinda part of why I like the tossing of the senate seats in that Yoda has to struggle to even reach Palpatine, though the acrobatics involved do undermine that. You could imagine him sitting still at the centre of the senate chamber, unmoving, while still achieving the same thing - and any subsequent, other tricks he might try against Yoda.

Either way, Palpatine being reduced to the force, and his ability to manipulate people, is perfectly fitting of the sort of villain we're introduced to with the Emperor in RoTJ. It would have also helped stick him out in further contrast to most of the other dark siders we see, who are heavily melee driven characters - Vader's iconic scene in Rogue One is him walking forward as an unstoppable tank after all.

TreIII

Yeah, in the end, what happened in the TCW Lost Mission episode "Sacrifice" was more akin to the kind of thing I always imagined when those met because they were portrayed as being so far above most other Jedi/Sith.

Ah, well. Maybe they'll do something different for Snoke and Luke while Rey and Kylo have their final round in Episode 9...

Guy.brush

That one. Or at least, that's what I'm hoping. Kylo realizes his dad wasn't lying to him on the bridge, and becomes power-mad and starts legitimately going insane.

It would mean we would see a fight scene between two villains though? Or another back stabbing scene? They desperately need to amp up the villain library in the ST imo.

I mean:
OT: Tarkin, Darth Vader, Emperor Palpatine, Jabba the Hutt, Boba Fett
ST: Weasley Wannabe Nazi, Kylo, Snoke, Captain Phasma.
They kind of killed Weasley, weakened Phasma and if Kylo and Snoke duke it out between themselves, we are in desperate need of another villain.

It would mean we would see a fight scene between two villains though? Or another back stabbing scene? They desperately need to amp up the villain library in the ST imo.

I mean:
They kind of killed Weasley, weakened Phasma and if Kylo and Snoke duke it out between themselves, we are in desperate need of another villain.

Hux is still alive actually, though I do agree he needs to be used more. In theory, the space battle we're looking to get in TLJ could be a possible showcase in that regard, if they have him commanding the First Order's fleet while Phasma does the dirty work of disabling the flagship that I'm gonna bet Leia is on. Do it well and he could actually stand out as a villain in the films, as a tactical figurehead - something currently only matched on TV.

That or he'll be shown on a bridge in two or three brief cuts, go 'Excellent' as he receives reports of Phasma's progress, and then bask in the victory we never see him properly win.

I mean:

Phasma will be getting her moment in ep8 and honestly, I feel like if Luke dies in this trilogy, it'll be at the hands of both Kylo Ren and Snoke.

Gotchaye

I mean:

To be fair, as of ANH only Tarkin and Vader had even shown up on-screen and Tarkin spoke briefly with Leia before getting blown up by his own arrogance.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I might sound like an idiot for asking this, but was Snoke confirmed to be normal size, or is he actually a giant like his hologram showed?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
That still makes him creepy with his lanky frame (he looks like a literal monster TBH, his first appearance coupled with his theme music would have legit scared me as a kid) but I kinda wish he was huge. I wonder when we'll see him in person or if he'll have a lightsaber/force battle with someone.

That still makes him creepy with his lanky frame (he looks like a literal monster TBH) but I kinda wish he was huge. I wonder when we'll see him in person or if he'll have a lightsaber/force battle with someone.

Pretty sure he spends some time with Kylo Ren, he was seen on set I think and they were using a puppet rather than CGI, which is where information about his height comes from IIRC.

Whether or not he uses a lightsaber, I have a theory but its spoilery, it's not a huge spoiler or anything, its based on his attire but I don't want mods getting mad at me.

I was kind of on board with the theory that Snoke was a fraud before too but
After reading the stuff about Snoke being around for a looong time, and him having a part in Kylo Ren's creation. I'm thinking that there's no way Kylo Ren could take on Snoke. Dude's probably pretty powerful if he can influence Kylo Ren in the womb using the force.

Some other things that I think are worth adding to the discussion:
-Ach-To is The first Jedi Temple
-Luke trained a new order of Jedi as per Yoda's wishes
-Luke is the only survivor of the slaughter
-Snoke is pretty much the Emperor of The First Order
-Snoke and the First Order have been around long before Kylo Ren

sphagnum

Banned

-- how shields work

Shields block fast things but permit slow things

Ships travel fast

Both Hoth and Bespin are in the Anoat system, so they were able to travel there at sunlight speed, but it probably took weeks/months

El Topo

Let's be honest, Kylo Ren is the kind of guy that would decide that a scar looks cool, but would have a surgeon change it so that it doesn't look goofy.

I think there's a decent chance that we'll get some force Ghosts in the film.
Anakin was pretty close to being a force Ghost in TFA for both Rey and Kylo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom