• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic F2Play launching Nov. 15th

DTKT

You are restricted to two quickbars (action bars) as a F2P account and have the option of purchasing more or sub to get them all. It used to be one quickbar until people complained. The quickbars should've never been a microtransaction in the first place as it doesn't make any sense other than to punish players.

Is two quickbars enough for most classes when going from 1 to 50?

Krogan

You are restricted to two quickbars (action bars) as a F2P account and have the option of purchasing more or sub to get them all. It used to be one quickbar until people complained. The quickbars should've never been a microtransaction in the first place as it doesn't make any sense other than to punish players.

Been a while since I have played but how much of a disadvantage will 2 quickbars be? Also have they reduced the amount of XP to level at any point since launch?

Milly79

It will be tough for most classes, I believe. Commando/Bounty Hunter is the only one I can honestly think of that could work with 2 bars. :\

Many classes can get by with two bars, lot of abilities are not important and can be left off in the ability menu. Inquisitors and Consulars I think would be the hardest to do with just two bars though. The classes that use stealth have a third cover bar that pops up that holds a bunch of extra abilities so they have breathing room with that extra bar and those abilities that are exclusive to it that wont take up your normal two bars.

Theres many abilities that you don't really click on in combat that you can leave off the quickbars such as stance changes, quick travel, mount summoning, the various passive abilities... so one can leave them in the ability menu since you only click on them once in a while.

The classes are functional with only two but a few might have to sacrifice a couple abilities they dont use often to fit it all in.... buying an extra bar is like $2.50 or something?

Cystm

All classes really need Every action bar to be competitive in PvP or Operations content.

That said, if you intend on playing casually, then yeah, two should suffice. You can always just grab another one for almost nothing if you find yourself wanting to expand.

Might be enough for some. When I played I used two bars and had a third available for buffs, medpacs, quick travel, etc. This was as an Imperial Agent and Sith Juggernaut during leveling.

Even though some classes may get by with two quickbars it's still a basic UI feature that should never be restricted.
Also have they reduced the amount of XP to level at any point since launch?
I don't think they altered the amount of XP required for each level. At least not since launch. I don't know about 1.5 though.

Alur

Been a while since I have played but how much of a disadvantage will 2 quickbars be? Also have they reduced the amount of XP to level at any point since launch?

Out of the classes I've played, you could get away with two leveling up on shadow/assassin, sage/sorceror, operative/scoundrel (as heals, no clue on DPS).

As someone above said, guardian/juggernaut not really doable with only two bars IMO. Maybe if only for leveling, but if you plan on going anywhere past that then you're gonna need more space.

And Krogan no there has been no reduction in the amount of experience to level. No need to really, it's not that bad at all compared to some MMO's. It's not LOLworthy like WoW is currently, but it's decently quick (and I hate leveling with a passion).

Thoraxes

It's been about 10 months since I finished the storyline on my consular. I'll probably go back when it's F2P to finish my Sith Inquisitor storyline. Should be fun again with some time apart from the game.

No, though you level quick, the game only really slows down when you get to the 40's in that final stretch which can be a pain.

They added legacy xp boosts though that increase you XP gain that you purchase in game using credits depending on your legacy level, or you can but these permanent boosts from the cash shop now. They are also going to sell general XP boosters in the cash shop for pretty cheap I guess if you want to just push through the single player portion of the game for relatively cheap.

Cystm

It's been about 10 months since I finished the storyline on my consular. I'll probably go back when it's F2P to finish my Sith Inquisitor storyline. Should be fun again with some time apart from the game.

You played through the most stale story in the game :p

I salute you.

Smuggler and Imperial Agent are where it's at! Jedi Knight is as close to KotOR as I have experienced so far.

Imperial Agent is like a blend of Bond and a really good episode of 24, with a bit of Memento haha.

Smuggler delivers what you would want to have in Han Solo-esque story.

vilmer_

I can manage my dps Consulars abilities with 2 bars but on my Guardian you would definitely want 3... I have around 35 buttons/skills mapped to my keyboard and naga.

Heysoos

Yeah, you need at least 3 honestly. For example, this is my Sentinel's setup.

ioLbduLEQ7aHK.bmp

I could easily save some room by removing one of my 2 huttball passing buttons, also removing 1 of 2 adrenal buttons, hiding my run toggle, hiding my form, putting my mount, quick travel, and useless skills away.

Anyways, 2 should be good enough in most cases to go all the way to 50. Though, like everyone else has said, it's a shitty thing to put behind a paywall.

syko de4d

alone to play the awesome BG´s in swtor i will reinstall it.

many flaws but never had more fun in BG´s :)

I hope they are still good. How many new BG´s are beside the 3 from the Start? Are the new BG´s as good as the old BGs?

vilmer_

I hope they are still good. How many new BG´s are beside the 3 from the Start? Are the new BG´s as good as the old BGs?

There's one newer one since the launch, Novare Coast and another new warzone coming in the next big patch. They are still amazingly fun, pvp is pretty much all I do :p With the new super servers there are some super intense games and rivalries. We have a facebook group for pvp'ers on my server (Prophecy of the Five) and it's hilarious the amount of insanity that goes on even in there :lol

They added one more Warzone in 1.2 called Novare Coast. I thought it was pretty fun when I tried it. It's an attack and defend map like Alderaan: Civil War.

http://www.swtor.com/info/media/trailers/warzone-novare-coast

In a patch after 1.5 they'll be adding in a new warzone called Ancient Hypergates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5F4eWaknXM

syko de4d

There's one newer one since the launch, Novare Coast and another new warzone coming in the next big patch. They are still amazingly fun, pvp is pretty much all I do :p With the new super servers there are some super intense games and rivalries. We have a facebook group for pvp'ers on my server (Prophecy of the Five) and it's hilarious the amount of insanity that goes on even in there :lol

sounds great :)

BG´s really was awesome in swtor, illum on the other side was the worse pvp i have ever seen. Is Illum still in the game or maybe fixed in sth. good?

Mhh must see how it works with the new server System, i was on a RP-PvP Server before the Super Server started. Now i need to play on a normal pvp server? :/

vilmer_

BG´s really was awesome in swtor, illum on the other side was the worse pvp i have ever seen. Is Illum still in the game or maybe fixed in sth. good?

Mhh must see how it works with the new server System, i was on a RP-PvP Server before the Super Server started. Now i need to play on a normal pvp server? :/

Ilum has been put on the back burner for the time being. There is going to be a world event there sometime in January to commemorate the craziness that went on there last January with 1.2. They have, however, optimized it extremely well. Had a massive war there and it ran smooth as a baby's arse. You can still earn valor points for kills, and there are people still fighting there and socializing between factions. Gone is the Ilum slideshow!

Zafir

Well, Ilum is still in the game, but the world pvp section is no longer in use. They got rid of the Ilum pvp weekly's/daily's. That said, my server(Red Eclipse) has organised some world pvp events on Ilum, they usually end up with the server dying mind.
Ilum has been put on the back burner for the time being. There is going to be a world event there sometime in January to commemorate the craziness that went on there last January with 1.2. They have, however, optimized it extremely well. Had a massive war there and it ran smooth as a baby's arse. You can still earn valor points for kills, and there are people still fighting there and socializing between factions. Gone is the Ilum slideshow!
When we did an Ilum event about 3 or 4 weeks back we had a load of issues. Half of my pvp guild had crappy fps, and to top it off, the server just died due to how many people were there, was like 30 seconds lag spikes.

I recall guardians require many quickbars.

every class does, and it pisses me off.

Its one of the many things I always loved about guild wars. downplaying the stupid interface and upping the actual visual gameplay.

I just looked at all the legacy skills you can unlock and holy shit. you have an obscene amount of skills at the screen at once.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

Truly they wanted the game to fail all along.

The game is pretty fun as long as you don't take endgame seriously. I'm looking forward to finishing my class story at least.

gatti-man

every class does, and it pisses me off.

Its one of the many things I always loved about guild wars. downplaying the stupid interface and upping the actual visual gameplay.

I just looked at all the legacy skills you can unlock and holy shit. you have an obscene amount of skills at the screen at once.

Guild wars 2 is a Zerg fest though. I think swtor pvp is far better.

Illum is supposed to come back with some new event around January, it seems they are going to try and redo it as a mix of pve and pvp where players fight over things instead of straight up battleground.

The new Warzone Novarre Coast is real good and in about 6 weeks after the f2p launch the 5th warzone is going to be added to the game as it's part of the next content update.

This looks like an F2P mess. All sorts of wonky restrictions and a market where you can buy all sorts of lame customization stuff.

I played League of Legends for a bit. It's a good game but because it's F2P they have to make money by selling in-game currency and to motivate people to buy in-game currency they have to have a million and one ways to customize your character (get a rune that adds +0.1% to damage!), buy characters, buy portraits, blah blah blah.

Alex

LoL has a good model for a general F2P game, but a lot of people dislike it under it's genre. Personally, I think it's fine myself, but I'm fairly casual with any MOBA.

As for this, I may go back and dink around a bit, finish up a character or so. SWTOR had a lot of good content in it and a lot of great little quirks, it just shouldn't have been an MMO, not under it's actual design, it's just a bloated, empty, uneven mess in a lot of spots.

It's depressing because as a well arranged single player or co-op game this thing would have been remembered so, so well.

Imperial Agent story better than KOTOR 1? Wat???? its really nice for an MMO. Prop the best MMO story ever told. but KOTOR 1 was a really cool memorable game.

Guild wars 2 is a Zerg fest though. I think swtor pvp is far better.

Real war is a zerg fest too. I dont see the problem. sPvP instead for maximum impact.

Dunlop

Have they fixed traveling to planets yet

i.e Space Station-->Planet

Not

Spacestation-->Ship-->Airlock-->Orbital Station-->Planet

--> = min 1 minute loading screen

What? They restricted quick bars? Talk about a new low in restricting players... Wow. Mindblowing stuff. Seriously, I'm shocked.

Cystm

Have they fixed traveling to planets yet

i.e Space Station-->Planet

Not

Spacestation-->Ship-->Airlock-->Orbital Station-->Planet

--> = min 1 minute loading screen

Yes. You can now go directly from your ship to orbital stations and then directly to a planet. Or from a planet directly to your ship. No more Airlock traveling unless you want to.

Milly79

Yes. You can now go directly from your ship to orbital stations and then directly to a planet. Or from a planet directly to your ship. No more Airlock traveling unless you want to.

Don't forget you can mount in the airlock/orbital too.

It's also nice if you're running dailies. When you click the ship to leave the area you can go directly to the other daily areas.

I used to dread dailies with my sub-par computer and having to do all that loading. It's so streamlined now. It's amazing compared to what it was.

DTKT

Is there a full list of restrictions for free players?

I remember hearing about a few things :

- Can't equip "Purple" gear.
- Reduced XP rate gain.
- 5 "fields" revival. Basically, after 5 deaths you get revived at a medical station somewhere on the map and you have to run all the way back to your corpse. That's going to seriously annoy me.
- Quadrupled the wait time on fast travel. You ain't going anywhere buddy.
- Can't do any of the raids(operations).

Any answers to those?

Cystm

- Reduced XP rate gain.
- 5 "fields" revival. Basically, after 5 deaths you get revived at a medical station somewhere on the map and you have to run all the way back to your corpse. That's going to seriously annoy me.

Any answers to those?

It's in the OP and posted earlier in the thread.

• Yes to Free to play players, unless they purchase a license. Previous Subscribers can equip any gear they already own (bound) going into F2play but cannot use new purps unless they purchase a license for a few bucks.
  • Yes to this one, but Bonus XP packs can also be obtained via the Cartel Market or the GTN.
  • Yes and no, You don't corpse run in this game, but you can also pick up an unlock if you prefer.
  • 2 hr cooldown on Quick Travel, but you can unlock it as well.
  • You can purchase week long Operations passes significantly cheaper than the 15$ month price point.

You can also buy this stuff off the GTN with In-game credits. Basically pay how you want.

Like Operations but not anything else? You can pay specifically for that part of the game. Rather save up your credits to buy a pass off the GTN than spend real money? You can do that.

- Reduced XP rate gain.

Any answers to those?

Most purple gear of importance is endgame, for f2p players, this won't matter or hinder leveling..

There is no corpse runs in TOR

Quick travel is just a teleport on your current planet you can use once every half hour. Its a convenience thing,

Yea only can raid if you buy passes or sub

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Its true that combat in TOR is your typical MMO combat but even that is light years beyond the combat in the original game. The first games combat is simplified to the extreme. You click on an enemy and you either shoot or run to them with a melee weapon. Both of these methods of attack have basically three skills to use no matter what class or build you are.. a powerful attack (Power Attack/Power Blast) or a rapid attack (Flurry/Rapid Shot) or a critical attack (Critical Attack/Sniper Shot). Thats basically it for the combat Feats.

The Force powers are varied enough in KotOR to be decent but theres not a lot to them. Theres no real interplay between powers. Lightside there is heal, stuns, damage droid, and buffs. Darkside is drain to heal, stuns, damage, and buffs.

My combat experience in 95% of KotOR is highlight enemy, click Master Flurry x3, and keep queuing Master Flurry. It basically looks like this except i used some Force Powers here and there. Not what i would call exciting.

if you’re a Premium Subscriber with Legacy racial unlocks and revert to a Free Account, what will have precedence, the f2p restrictions or the Legacy unlocks?

Blaine: First off – if you change from being a subscriber to a Free-to-Play player, you will always go to Preferred status and will never become a Free Account, so you’ll have some features unlocked that you otherwise would not. Additionally, you will absolutely retain the Legacy unlocks that you earned/purchased as a subscriber. In almost all cases, if you have been a subscriber, you will find that things you purchased for in-game credits will be retained when you go down to Preferred. Including things like Cargo Hold access and Inventory Slots.

So, this sounds like he's answering this question, but he doesn't come right out and say races specifically. This still remains my stumbling block for playing this again, and while I have been reassured time and time by other players, I have yet to have seen an official response stating simply and frankly "yes, Preferred status players can play their existing characters regardless of race."

Their F2P model is a recipe for continued disaster, but I've ragged on it so much at this point that I'll refrain and not shit up this thread.

Top Bottom