• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic F2Play launching Nov. 15th

B-Dex

LOL still getting error C7. Fuck this game. Fuck Bioware. Why this check is still in there is BEYOND STUPID.

Really? I'm finding Gunslinger(Sniper) so much fun. It's extremely strong. Though if you prefer stealth, operative could be better. Plus they're one of the best healers around in PVP.
Well to be honest while I was playing Scoundrel I would always seem to group up with gunslingers and it did look fun, don't really think there's much of a difference though between gunslinger and sniper so it must of just been some illusion to be.

Reason why I say I can't stand sniper is yes it's a strong class but during group combat you remain stationary a lot. Other than that and Scoundrel I've played Vanguard to 50 and Sage, Sentinel, and Assassin to Tatooine and none have left me stationary nearly as often as sniper. Just not for me.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
When i go to log into my old account it says i need to subscribe? How do i activate the F2P?

Anyone? It won't let me play! I tried to see if there is something i need to activate or click but to no avail i can't find shit.

B67YR.png

Account page has nothing.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Too little too late.

If they did this when they announced going f2p this summer when I had NOTHING to play? I would be 100% in.

Now when I have AC3/Halo4/BL2/TL2/ACL/NFSMW2/P4G/Uncharted vita/ff tactics/mark of the ninja etc why would I touch an mmo with a 100 foot pole?

Nester

Seems they deleted a few of my characters and I have 4 of 2 allotted slots used up. All four are flagged for name changes, I assume for server merges. I assume once I rename two of them they'll delete the other two?

Of all the characters they had to outright delete, did they have to delete my 50 Imperial Agent? :(

Seems they deleted a few of my characters and I have 4 of 2 allotted slots used up. All four are flagged for name changes, I assume for server merges. I assume once I rename two of them they'll delete the other two?

Of all the characters they had to outright delete, did they have to delete my 50 Imperial Agent? :(
Never heard of them deleting characters on any account during the server merges. Are you sure it wasn't sent to another server?

Nester

Never heard of them deleting characters on any account during the server merges. Are you sure it wasn't sent to another server?

Ah, yeah. I'm an idiot. I'm so used to looking at all my characters on one screen in Guild Wars 2, forgot he was on another server and that I could switch.

Anyone? It won't let me play! I tried to see if there is something i need to activate or click but to no avail i can't find shit.

B67YR.png

Account page has nothing.

I'm having the same issue. Went to the account page and it says I'm a free player but nothing is out of sorts there.
I was only going to give this another try on a whim but if its going to give me headaches just trying to log in, I might not even bother.

Heysoos

I'm having the same issue. Went to the account page and it says I'm a free player but nothing is out of sorts there.
I was only going to give this another try on a whim but if its going to give me headaches just trying to log in, I might not even bother.

Either you using older accounts?

They have a thread going on here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=555471

There is one official SWTOR reply in there that you can try. Might just be a problem with them though, should be fixed pretty quickly if it is small.

Either you using older accounts?

They have a thread going on here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=555471

There is one official SWTOR reply in there that you can try. Might just be a problem with them though, should be fixed pretty quickly if it is small.

Yeah, I'm using my account that I used when I was in the beta.

Looking over that thread you linked, I downloaded the new client and all today, so I don't know whats going on. Give it some time I guess.

Cystm

Just a heads up, if you are going to play Imperial Agent I would definitely go with operative. My first character was the smuggler equivalent of operative (scoundrel) so decided to go sniper for my imperial agent but my goodness it's so boring. Enjoying the story line but can't convince myself to endure that gameplay, and I'm already to level 25 so I don't really want to restart. Sort of stuck in limbo with this guy.

Others may disagree.

Sniper is one of the better classes in the game for PvP and Endgame raiding.

Gamble

If you actually resub then you're just a subscriber and you don't have to worry about preferred or whatever. Preferred is if you don't subscribe but you had subscribed before (or bought something on the Cartel Market).

Ah so if I renew my resub then I'll be golden you just get the preferred benefits if you were a previous subscriber but chose to NOT to resub and just went with the f2p.....*whew wipes off forehead in exhaustion*

Is there no pay ONCE have full rights forever option available?
If you're talking about a lifetime sub then no. You can buy account-wide unlocks for various things on the Cartel Market but a one-time unlock for the entire game isn't there. If you want everything unlocked then you'd want to subscribe.

Alur

Is there no pay ONCE have full rights forever option available?

No, for better or worse depending on your stance as a player, there are no permanent or long term unlocks of things like raids, pvp, or flashpoints. There are are permanent unlocks per character and per account of other things, however.

Cystm

No, for better or worse depending on your stance as a player, there are no permanent or long term unlocks of things like raids, pvp, or flashpoints. There are are permanent unlocks per character and per account of other things, however.

At least for the time being.

J0dy77

I got in this morning before work and was really impressed by the CG opening scenes, best I've seen in a while.

How are the classes broken down? Is everyone and their grandmother a Jedi Knight? I'm leaning towards that class but hate picking the class everyone picks.

I got in this morning before work and was really impressed by the CG opening scenes, best I've seen in a while.

How are the classes broken down? Is everyone and their grandmother a Jedi Knight? I'm leaning towards that class but hate picking the class everyone picks.

There's actually a pretty good balance, certainly enough so that you can pick what you want without feeling like a cookiecutter motherfucker. There's also a decent amount of variation within each class, so the gameplay is also varied depending on what you pick.

My advice though? Go Empire, and go Imperial Agent. The world quests are more interesting as the Empire, and IA has arguably the best story and some great companions.

HBroward

It's crazy how many people were on last night, there are a ton of old players returning and new ones from f2p. It's looking pretty good for the game moving forward.

I like the new graphics options and the touch up on ui.

I feel no incentive to keep playing after I saw with how many things are limited. Besides leveling a new character (which I can't do, tells me I have to delete 8 of my characters until I can make a new one), there isn't much you can do without subscribing or paying for the weekly pass.

I wouldn't mind that as much if they didn't try to monetize... I still can't believe this... the extra quick bars and hide helmet slot.

I'll probably wait for the level cap raise and just resub, f2p limits me way too much.

I guess whatever patch they applied last night fixed the login issue I was having, seeing as I can get into it now.

Still, the F2P aspect kind of comes right out and smacks you in the face during Character Creation, seeing so many of the possible races locked away. Seriously lame how they put Chiss behind a pay wall for Imperial Agents.

Everything seems a little more polished though since last time I played during the pre-release Beta.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So I am actually considering spending the 5 bucks to get Preferred Status... but what is worth getting for someone who doesn't know anything about the game?

DTKT

So I am actually considering spending the 5 bucks to get Preferred Status... but what is worth getting for someone who doesn't know anything about the game?

I'd recommend playing the game for a bit. Try to reach level 15-20. If you can stomach the combat, keep going.

Cystm

I'd recommend playing the game for a bit. Try to reach level 15-20. If you can stomach the combat, keep going.

There is nothing wrong with the combat at all. What is the complaint with combat? I never understood that. It's solid.

Heysoos

I'm sure that it's been mentioned, but if anyone is playing on Jedi Covenant, Republic GAF has a healthy guild going. If you want an invite feel free send me a PM or post here with your character's name. :)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, I figure spending 5 bucks to be able to sprint would be a good thing, since it looks like there's a lot of trudging around these wide open spaces. lol

Oreoleo

So I'm on this page https://account.swtor.com/play-free

And it seems no matter what I enter, no username I come up with is accepted. Even junk like "Handuldrovden" isn't accepted. This is worse than trying to come up with a PSN handle. What the hell?

EDIT: Okay, 20 minutes later and it's finally working. Can use the first name I wanted to. Guess I just hadn't complained enough to people on Steam about it, yet. Carry on

Cystm

A lot of people are posting questions about the GAF server. It's in the OP here in this thread and in the OT.

Officers list for invites is linked below and the server is Jedi Covenant.

ityW8KPAnxR03.png

iGABlWCEXPo2v.png
iYXVVQiQCwqBN.png

ibvTprHjm0L4xo.png

ibe5zfgxK9wECW.png

Kinyou

The only thing that's annoying me so far is that you don't get that 25% xp boost for being rested when you're F2P.

I feel like it destroys a little the leveling/quest process and you have to grind more. (Though it could also be that this is simply the case after level 15 anyway)

Gamble

Jumped back in and am having a blast. I may actually renew my subscription. hmmmm

I renewed yesterday after being torn between this rift and wow and am having a ball at the moment though I currently suck with trying to tank with my sith assasin but I feel I made the right choice I forgot how awesome the storytelling is

HBroward

The only thing that's annoying me so far is that you don't get that 25% xp boost for being rested when you're F2P.

I feel like it destroys a little the leveling/quest process and you have to grind more. (Though it could also be that this is simply the case after level 15 anyway)

Honestly, it means you don't out level 30% of the content. Normally doing any bonus series on the planets will put you pretty far ahead of the curve. The 25% reduced experience is basically what it was at in the beta, before they bumped it up for launch. If you like experiencing all the content, it's a plus. Once you out level content, there is pretty much no reason to do it unless you are trying to level your legacy.

Kosma

Banned
Already level 11 since I started yesterday, bought 1050 cartel coins to get preferred status (lol) and some more inventory space.

Game really feels like a SP KOTOR with some MP fun thrown in. Good stuff.

ShaneB

Honestly, it means you don't out level 30% of the content. Normally doing any bonus series on the planets will put you pretty far ahead of the curve. The 25% reduced experience is basically what it was at in the beta, before they bumped it up for launch. If you like experiencing all the content, it's a plus. Once you out level content, there is pretty much no reason to do it unless you are trying to level your legacy.

This. 100% this. Mentioned before, the lower leveling xp is something I kinda want on my first play through. I can imagine when you're on an alt or something the speed of leveling isn't so bad, but right now, my first play through with my Gunslinger, everything does feel pretty easy since I'm usually overleveled for the current quests I am on.

HBroward

I think the best change they could make is having outleveled quests give credits equal to the normal experience gain. It would instantly give players a reason to go back and do every quest in the game. MOst probably skipped the bonus series and stuff. The biggest complaint at end game usually is "lack of content" and that would easily address that issue. They have tons of content already, but people skip a large chunk of it.

ShaneB

I think the best change they could make is having outleveled quests give credits equal to the normal experience gain. It would instantly give players a reason to go back and do every quest in the game. MOst probably skipped the bonus series and stuff. The biggest complaint at end game usually is "lack of content" and that would easily address that issue. They have tons of content already, but people skip a large chunk of it.

I like what GW2 does in terms of zone scaling, but it's definitely not perfect for that sense of power progression that lots of people do like. So yeah, from what I can see, there is LOTS of content in TOR and Bioware has added so much in the first year from what I see, but there's got to be a reason to keep visiting old areas.

calder

Enjoy being back in the game. The f2p limitations seem annoying but pretty rational, so fair enough... except for the quickbar limit. My lvl 40 Shadow simply can not play normally with just 2 bars. I have to open inventory to use a medpack and open my freaking powers window to mount or change stance. Unreal.

HBroward

Enjoy being back in the game. The f2p limitations seem annoying but pretty rational, so fair enough... except for the quickbar limit. My lvl 40 Shadow simply can not play normally with just 2 bars. I have to open inventory to use a medpack and open my freaking powers window to mount or change stance. Unreal.

I feel they dropped the ball by not having an option to unlock at least 1 of the 4 additional quick bars with in game credits, as you would inventory slots or cargo bays. Its a small tweak that would address a ton of the complaints.

so the legacy screens show unlocking moves after completing act 3 of character, like force sweep for jedi knight

would this bonus power apply only to a newly created character or can any of your existing characters apply this bonus power when it is unlocked?

Milly79

so the legacy screens show unlocking moves after completing act 3 of character, like force sweep for jedi knight

would this bonus power apply only to a newly created character or can any of your existing characters apply this bonus power when it is unlocked?

Should work for both (new/existing) when you use your heroic moment, although I am unsure of existing toons. Hopefully someone can clarify.

Went back yesterday after getting my first character (Jedi Consular) to 45 at launch.

Started a Jedi Knight Guardian, really enjoying it, got to level 10 but was a bit surprised to see they 'now you are level 10, you will receive less XP from mobs and quests' which kind of put me off a bit as it took a long time for me to get to 45 first time around.

Anyone have any idea how much less XP you get if you don't sub, i bought the game at launch so im a 'prefered' player or whatever it's called :p.

Top Bottom