• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbreeze to publish Psychonauts 2, investing $8 million, releasing 2018

FelipeMGM

aaaaah it looks amazing!

there are some tidbits of footage from this place in this video too, including a better look at Psychonauts HQ

C3-fPIeWMAA4xgE.jpg:large

Mivey

I echo the thoughts that find it hard to see how this is going to turn a profit. Hope DF haven't tied all their eggs to this basket, I know they're putting their own money in too.
As the movie-quote-turned-saying goes: You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become EA.

McCoolName

Neo Member
As someone who really loved the first one I cannot be more happy right now. It wouldn't be the first time Double Fine hurts my feelings, but I mean, it's Psychonauts, they can't mess that up, right?

DocSeuss

Isn't 8 million the same amount they invested in Lion Game Lion's RAID: World War 2?

EDIT: (it is)

I wonder how this will impact their investors on fig, who were probably already not going to see a return on their investment.

Edit: or perhaps Starbreeze are the previously unnamed partner.

Not at all. The deal is that they get 85% of what's left AFTER the investors and platform holder cuts, until their 8 million is paid off, and then they get 60% after that.

Sounds like kind of a crappy deal to me, but yeah, the fig investors are already taken care of in the deal.

Carl

Is 85% cut (until they get their investment back, then 60%) a normal kind of percentage cut for a publisher? To me that seems huge

Wow. Looking really good. There's so much modern graphics techniques can do for this - until recently - almost abandoned genre of 3D platformers. I hope the renaissance turns into sales for those brave individuals funding and creating these games.

I looked in to helping fund it on Fig - but I just came away confused. But assuredly my intension was and very much still is, to buy on day one.

LewieP

Not at all. The deal is that they get 85% of what's left AFTER the investors and platform holder cuts, until their 8 million is paid off, and then they get 60% after that.

Sounds like kind of a crappy deal to me, but yeah, the fig investors are already taken care of in the deal.
Taken care of is a bit of a stretch. It's clearly stacked against fig investors.

Crowdfunding is the best thing to happen to games in five years. This game could have never gotten a publisher without it. I loved the first Psychonauts.

It's great that we're getting these mid-tier games. Not quite AAA. More like AA.

Alastor3

Do you guys think 3D platformer going to come back? With psychonauts 2, yooka-laylee, A hat in time, Grow Home, Mario Odyssey, I can't wait to see what's next!

Looks like Starbreeze will be next in the line of publishers who regret working with Tim Schafer. I really like the man's game's but he clearly cannot keep a budget or schedule to save his life.

Starbreeze is cool. Psychonauts 2 will be cool.

Notch should have paid for the whole lot and it could have been called "Notch presents Psychonauts 2".

wwm0nkey

Looks like Starbreeze will be next in the line of publishers who regret working with Tim Schafer. I really like the man's game's but he clearly cannot keep a budget or schedule to save his life.
This is looking like it's on track to hit its 2018 mark, this is preproduction and it already looks amazing

FirmBizBws

Becomes baffled, curling up into a ball when confronted with three controller options.
Wonder why they think they will get their money back from this investment

Fuz

Banned
Hype!
Psychonauts is one of my favourite games ever.

Please don't fuck this up, Tim. Please don't fuck this up. Please don't fuck this up.

Sony doesn't seem to mind working with them, considering they're up to four projects with them in the last couple of years, two released, one releasing this month, and another later this year, so I'm not sure that what you're reaching after there is a given.

Definitely the right call to make updates/videos public this time around. It was such a bummer to see Broken Age get so much shit when the backer updates and the documentary addressed literally everything people were freaking out about.

I keep forgetting Rhombus of Ruin is so soon!

joms5

Doesn't sound like we'll be getting a physical copy.

:(

I was hoping for a Psychonauts 2 pack to be honest. But would have settled for a a physical copy of just 2.

This is looking like it's on track to hit its 2018 mark, this is preproduction and it already looks amazing

It looks really nice, I really want to see the finished product. But I'll believe a Schafer title will ship on time when it actually happens. EVERY big title they have released has been delayed at least once, often for far longer than that. Tim is damned creative, and I like his stuff a LOT (I adore both Psychonauts and Brutal Legend) but I have, based on previous performance absolutely NO faith that he'll release this on time. The man took 3 years to release a point and click adventure, and ran out of money halfway through even though he got nearly 10 times the funding he initially asked for. Brutal Legend was late, Psychonauts was so late it lost its original publisher. DF is generally great at releasing smaller games on time, but a Schafer title? No way.

Sony doesn't seem to mind working with them, considering they're up to four projects with them in the last couple of years, two released, one releasing this month, and another later this year, so I'm not sure that what you're reaching after there is a given.

I thought the remasters were self published, just with Sony doing their standard support. Also, I have trouble believing that even DF could screw up a remaster.

Alastor3

Are you really just saying that before of Broken Age and Spacebase DF9 ??? Seriously? Just because one kickstarter game was delayed and release in two parts doesn't mean every other projects they would work on will be bad. Seriously they are wayyy better than a company like the one that made Mighty No.9.

If you have watched the documentary, you would have see that they didn't planned for Broken Age to be this big, originally, they thought it would be just a small project. Also, it was their first ever game without a publisher, they have to rework how they approche the game because they had to learn what a publisher would do.

I can't believe people are still sour over that.

Icolin

Banned
Doesn't sound like we'll be getting a physical copy.

:(

I was hoping for a Psychonauts 2 pack to be honest. But would have settled for a a physical copy of just 2.

I'm willing to bet that they'll work out something with Limited Run Games.

I thought the remasters were self published, just with Sony doing their standard support. Also, I have trouble believing that even DF could screw up a remaster.

Nope, DF and Sony started to seek the rights to them at the same time, and Sony solved the legal problems and acted as the publishers.

If you're curious about the amount of work DF put into to the remasters, they're some pretty good short documentaries about them on youtube. You should be able to find them quickly if you're really interested in this subject.

Started to comment on the rest of your post that was the answer to wwm0nkey, but you don't strike me as a fellow interested in details or facts, so I'm opting out of that.

Nope, DF and Sony started to seek the rights to them at the same time, and Sony solved the legal problems and acted as the publishers.

If you're curious about the amount of work DF put into to the remasters, they're some pretty good short documentaries about them on youtube. You should be able to find them quickly if you're really interested in this subject.

Started to comment on the rest of your post that was the answer to wwm0nkey, but you don't strike me as a fellow interested in details or facts, so I'm opting out of that.

Oh come on. I love DF games (well I just like BA) and I've been a fan of Schafer since his LucasFilm Games days. He is a great creative guy and all, but let's be real. Psychonauts took 5 years to make, lost one publisher then moved to another, Brutal Legend shipped 17 months late. Broken Age, (and I have seen the damned documentary) had problems because clearly Tim didn't have much of a plan or idea going in, and it shows. He didn't budget for the money he had, and had to do a split early release to get the game finished.

Hell even Grim Fandango was half a year late, and that was with cutting a bunch of story and puzzles at the end. Schafer has worked with 5 major publishers on his personal projects since DoubleFine launched. They were dropped by 2 of them before the games released. When those games were eventually picked up by other publishers, they both flopped, Psychonauts made Majesco get out of the AAA game business altogether, and Brutal Legend was a big loss of Activision. Even in this very thread people doubt that this game will make money for Starbreeze, and based on Tim's history I think that isn't an unfair prediction.

I think Psychonauts 2 will be good. Or at the very least I hope it will be, but Schafer has given me no reason to believe that he can release an original game that he is directing on time or on budget. It's one of the reasons that I didn't fund Psychonauts 2 after I funded Broken Age.

And btw, Sony assisted but the remasters are published by Doublefine themselves.

border

Glad to hear that this is getting some financial muscle behind it, and that Starbreeze is doing well enough to back projects outside their own studio.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Oh come on. I love DF games (well I just like BA) and I've been a fan of Schafer since his LucasFilm Games days. He is a great creative guy and all, but let's be real. Psychonauts took 5 years to make, lost one publisher then moved to another, Brutal Legend shipped 17 months late. Broken Age, (and I have seen the damned documentary) had problems because clearly Tim didn't have much of a plan or idea going in, and it shows. He didn't budget for the money he had, and had to do a split early release to get the game finished.

Hell even Grim Fandango was half a year late, and that was with cutting a bunch of story and puzzles at the end. Schafer has worked with 5 major publishers on his personal projects since DoubleFine launched. They were dropped by 2 of them before the games released. When those games were eventually picked up by other publishers, they both flopped, Psychonauts made Majesco get out of the AAA game business altogether, and Brutal Legend was a big loss of Activision. Even in this very thread people doubt that this game will make money for Starbreeze, and based on Tim's history I think that isn't an unfair prediction.

I think Psychonauts 2 will be good. Or at the very least I hope it will be, but Schafer has given me no reason to believe that he can release an original game that he is directing on time or on budget. It's one of the reasons that I didn't fund Psychonauts 2 after I funded Broken Age.

And btw, Sony assisted but the remasters are published by Doublefine themselves.

Brutal Legend's issues weren't directly because of Schafer though. A lot of that seemed like EA not knowing what to do with the game after they acquired it.

Brutal Legend's issues weren't directly because of Schafer though. A lot of that seemed like EA not knowing what to do with the game after they acquired it.

If you read the postmortem on Brutal Legend there were a ton of problems and it wasn't Activision or EA's fault. They had issues with not hadnling middleware well, had massive feature creep, and didn't staff correctly. You can kind of see that in the game itself, the last half seems barren compared to the early part of the game. The legal battles didn't help, but a majority of the pain in the development of Brutal Legend was self inflicted.

Edit: Ok, that's not entirely fair, the lawsuit coming when it did in the dev cycle surely hurt. But that still doesn't excuse the other problems.

dLMN8R

Really happy to hear they're still expecting to release to their originally announced schedule!

Game looks awesome so far, and I basically love everything Schafer does.

Top Bottom