• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley for Nintendo Switch |OT| Starving for a Harvest

Is the audio really crackly for anyone else? I've swapped between handheld and docked and it's coming out crackly/distorted either way.
Yes! It happens after a certain period of time. I have been only playing full screen mode though. I have to close the game and reopen it.

Edit: Should have read the other posts. Looks like the devs know about it and are fixing it. Awesome. It is really the only bummer about that game, but otherwise the game is awesome as I expected it to be.

Phamit

I have sound cracking and playing the minigames suck, because they simply assigned the Xbox controller A to the switch controller A which means you shoot down with A when you play the cowboy arcade game

Robiin

I see all these posts about min maxing etc, I want this game to be relaxing and to play at my own pace, learn by doing etc. For example I just played my first 40 minutes doing nothing but spending my first five in game days cleaning up my property. Got "exhausted" and went to bed at 9am, rinse and repeat.

Is that an okay way to play, or should I read up on all these wikis and stuff?

I see all these posts about min maxing etc, I want this game to be relaxing and to play at my own pace, learn by doing etc. For example I just played my first 40 minutes doing nothing but spending my first five in game days cleaning up my property. Got "exhausted" and went to bed at 9am, rinse and repeat.

I am playing the same way as you are playing.

I actually do not want to read any guides on the best ways to play this game. I feel like it will suck out the enjoyment of finding out myself.

best way to play! min maxing is sad

btw- if you're exhausted you can still run around and talk to people, explore. Only using tools makes you lose energy.

BizzyBum

Passed out in the middle of town at 2AM trying to get home after mining all day.

Great first impression on the town.

TheJoRu

Play however you like. For me it honestly helped my experience to look up some very basic tips, just minor stuff that would help me not screw up majorly the first few days. Just so I could get into it. After that I pretty much played blind, which was great.

But that's just me, others find joy in those early stumbles and then learning from that and I get why. However, for me it creates an anxiety and a feeling I can't really control of "I don't know what I'm doing, it feels like I'm doing this all wrong" which is not fun to walk around thinking the first hours of a game. Later I'd still stumble and fail, but since I at least knew the basics I'd never feel truly lost.

This is not me recommending you do what I did, just my experience.

brerwolfe

what there’s a harvest moon game out today?
No, a harvest moon is the first full moon closest to the Autumn Equinox. Today is the harvest moon for the northern hemisphere. It's just funny because SDV is inspired by Harvest Moon and releases on the Switch the day of the 2017 real harvest moon.

Navi

No, a harvest moon is the first full moon closest to the Autumn Equinox. Today is the harvest moon for the northern hemisphere. It's just funny because SDV is inspired by Harvest Moon and releases on the Switch the day of the 2017 real harvest moon.

Pretty cool when you think about it.

This young bloke spent 5 years of his life developing this game by his lonesome. I think I'll buy it just out of respect to his dedication

Amazing. But I always wonder, when people develop games solo like this, before they've had a hit, how do they support themselves? Work a part time job at the same time?

OuterLimits

Debating whether to get this. How does it compare to Rune Factory 4 and Story of Seasons? Which reminds me I need to actually play more of the 3DS Story of Seasons game.

heringer

I'm okay with waiting 20 seconds to save (no ideal, but eh), but couldn't they at least provide a nice looking save screen? I mean, the screen just goes black for the entire time, kind of weird.

Other than that, the game plays great with a controller, better than I expected. I also like that you can control the cursor with the right analog stick, even though you don't really need it.

Debating whether to get this. How does it compare to Rune Factory 4 and Story of Seasons? Which reminds me I need to actually play more of the 3DS Story of Seasons game.

Never played Rune Factory 4 or SS, but Stardew Valley is definitely better than Rune Factory 3 and Rune Factory Frontier (and I really like both). Also better than the Harvest Moon games I have played. If you don't be carefull, your Switch is going to pretty much turn into a Stardew Valley machine.

Shahadan

I cannot believe this game has dug its claws into me again. It feels almost like I had never played it before.

I've been playing non stop for 4 hours. Send help. And sleep.

TheExodu5

Banned
Considering the fact that the Switch can go into suspend, saves every day really aren't needed. Could the devs just introduce an option to save manually and turn off auto-saves? Would be much appreciated!

OK - I'm hooked. This could very easily become my most played game. Time just flies by when you are playing!

Tried fishing, but no idea what I was doing.

I love it so far.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
Played for about an hour today. Love it so far and can't wait to play more! Thank you to all you devs who worked on it ;P

Ventara

About on par, I'd say, based off the few hours I've played. The farming isn't as deep though as HM or RF4 (at least so far), and controls feel a bit clunkier (expected, since it's primarily a PC game), but I'm really enjoying the broader freedom this game is giving and I really do get the feeling I'm starting from scratch as a farmer here, which is nice.

If you enjoy HM or RF, this is a no-brainer.

Ourobolus

Banned
Best way to make money?

Early on? Fishing. Once you get your fishing level up to 5 you can start hitting the darker water, where Silver/Gold-rarity fish hang out and sell for more. You can also get a perk at Lv 5 that increases fish sale price by 25%. If you're still in Spring and it's raining, catfish can be found in the river and sells for the most outside of some super-difficult ones you likely won't catch easily.

Later on? Farming

Much later on? Wine

BizzyBum

Early on? Fishing. Once you get your fishing level up to 5 you can start hitting the darker water, where Silver/Gold-rarity fish hang out and sell for more. You can also get a perk at Lv 5 that increases fish sale price by 25%. If you're still in Spring and it's raining, catfish can be found in the river and sells for the most outside of some super-difficult ones you likely won't catch easily.

Later on? Farming

Much later on? Wine

Okay, thanks.

Any tips on conserving your energy? Probably the biggest gripe I have with the game so far. I wake up and work on my farm and by noon I'm already in the red. I know eating and drinking can increase it but anything else I can do to work longer?

Ourobolus

Banned
Okay, thanks.

Any tips on conserving your energy? Probably the biggest gripe I have with the game so far. I wake up and work on my farm and by noon I'm already in the red. I know eating and drinking can increase it but anything else I can do to work longer?

Early on that'll be an issue. As you upgrade your tools it takes less time to do things, so less energy, and also levelling your skills will reduce the cost of actions (for the most part). There are also items you'll come across here and there that increase your stamina, but they are rare and there's only a set amount of them.

Heysoos

Is there a difference in how much you get if you sell fish to the guy that gave you the fishing rod vs putting them in your sale box thing

oatmeal

Banned
So I need to eat? I woke up on day 2 iwht no energy (had to walk home from the town depleted...that was fun).

It's early but I'm starting to remember I don't like these types of games :/

Bought it tonight, have been playing non-stop ever since.

It's a little bit more overwhelming that I imagined, there's a lot going on.

I'm not sure if I'm doing it wrong but I have like a 12x12 vegetable patch right now, I'm watering that every day and going into town every now and then. I spent a whole day fishing. I built the scarecrow.

The rest of my time I've been just clearing out the trees and stones.

Does this seem right? Worried I am missing a whole bunch.

Ourobolus

Banned
Is there a difference in how much you get if you sell fish to the guy that gave you the fishing rod vs putting them in your sale box thing

No

So I need to eat? I woke up on day 2 iwht no energy (had to walk home from the town depleted...that was fun).

It's early but I'm starting to remember I don't like these types of games :/

If you don't make it home before 2AM the previous night, you won't get enough sleep and you start the day with low stamina (and I could be wrong but I think any time after midnight reduces it a little too).
Stamina is needed for most non-people-related actions, so if you want to do more then you need to replenish with food. You can mitigate this as you play, like I posted a few posts ago.

oatmeal

Banned
No

If you don't make it home before 2AM the previous night, you won't get enough sleep and you start the day with low stamina (and I could be wrong but I think any time after midnight reduces it a little too).
Stamina is needed for most non-people-related actions, so if you want to do more then you need to replenish with food. You can mitigate this as you play, like I posted a few posts ago.

I see.

Well I got the fishing pole and planted some turnips or whatever. Fucking crushing it.

Top Bottom