• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley for Nintendo Switch |OT| Starving for a Harvest

jyoung188

Had anyone tried the farm with the rivers? Played a lot on PC at launch and when I start on Switch I was gonna try a new farm but a little worried that one will be hard to fit everything on.

I'm playing on the river farm after going original on PC and forest (? The one with the hard wood stumps to the left) on Xbox one. I like how different it is and it's big enough for me. I like how it's a bunch of separate islands and I love fishing so it works out well for me. I don't min max though so you definitely don't want that farm if you're into being 100% efficient or whatever.

Jblanks

I would recommend when you want to stop playing and go to sleep in game and save... do not, I repeat l, DO NOT exit your house 'just to see what is there' :p

This is me. "Oh just one more day", day finishes, "let me just check if anything is outside, oh shit it's raining.. got to do the mine".

Tortimer

I played this all day yesterday and now I'm in Fall, Year 1. I've been semi-winging it but also looking on the Stardew wiki site a bit as well.

Does anyone know why my crops might be taking longer than the description says they will? For example, I planted corn and it said it'd be 14 days but it took more like 20. I have the haunted farm, so maybe that's the reason?

Hyoukokun

I played this all day yesterday and now I'm in Fall, Year 1. I've been semi-winging it but also looking on the Stardew wiki site a bit as well.

Does anyone know why my crops might be taking longer than the description says they will? For example, I planted corn and it said it'd be 14 days but it took more like 20. I have the haunted farm, so maybe that's the reason?
If you missed watering them, that could be a factor. I am pretty sure my corn didn't take 20 days to grow...

There are fertilizers and other things that can increase growth speed. In the case of the fertilizer I believe it acts semi-randomly; every day there is a small chance the plants will skip ahead.

nick_b

Thanks to everyone that said to take your time with this game. Bought on PC and barely played because it was too overwhelming. Bought on the switch and I'm loving it. Making my own little goals is much better than thinking I have to maximise the use of my time. I've got a little plot of land with some crops that I don't really care about because I spend most of the time fishing now. It's so much more enjoyable without concrete goals and deadlines.

Also why is no one saying Leah for best girl? Went out to fish at the little pond in the forest and she was on the dock painting. She said we might be fated to be together because we both lived outside of town. We then spent that afternoon enjoying our separate activities next to each other on the dock.

Razmos

I just spent 4000g on an apple tree sapling, placed it down and then immediately destroyed it by accident with my hoe.

Makonero

Thanks to everyone that said to take your time with this game. Bought on PC and barely played because it was too overwhelming. Bought on the switch and I'm loving it. Making my own little goals is much better than thinking I have to maximise the use of my time. I've got a little plot of land with some crops that I don't really care about because I spend most of the time fishing now. It's so much more enjoyable without concrete goals and deadlines.

Also why is no one saying Leah for best girl? Went out to fish at the little pond in the forest and she was on the dock painting. She said we might be fated to be together because we both lived outside of town. We then spent that afternoon enjoying our separate activities next to each other on the dock.

Leah is secret best girl.

I just spent 4000g on an apple tree sapling, placed it down and then immediately destroyed it by accident with my hoe.

RESTART

Remember, if you do something stupid, just exit out and shut it down. Better to redo a whole day than lose important stuff like that.

Ourobolus

Banned

Leah +1

Leah is secret best girl.

RESTART

Remember, if you do something stupid, just exit out and shut it down. Better to redo a whole day than lose important stuff like that.
Or just keep playing- it's more fun to play as a character that has fucked up and given the person you are courting garbage for a gift by mistake, or by accidentally throwing your first diamond into a pond, or by passing out in the middle of town only to be found by the mayor of the town (and knowing that a single person couldn't carry you back forever wondering which person in town helped the mayor carry you back to your bed), or by tossing a rare fish back into the ocean... or by chopping down an expensive tree you just planted :p

If you just restart every time a bad happens you just have the story of the luckiest farmer of all time. no fun! better to push forward!

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
So if I upgrade my Watering Can, will I be without one for a few days?

As for potential wives, farthest along with Emily, but
playing video games
with Abigail was a cool event, and Leah's got the artist thing.

Unai

As for potential wives, farthest along with Emily, but
playing video games
with Abigail was a cool event, and Leah's got the artist thing.

Yes, for two days.

1 - Wait until TV says the next day will be raining
2 - Water your plants
3 - Give it to the smith to upgrade it, do whatever and go sleep.
4 - The raining will take care of watering everything the next day. Do whatever and go sleep again.
5 - Get your upgraded water can and water your plants!

Brakke

Banned
Leah was my first love on PC. Best girl.

Puts in monocle, laughs at 4k being “important”. By year 2 you shouldn’t even notice 4k going missing.

Yes. Best strat is to drop it off the day before it rains, after watering your crops. Or drop it off on the 27th, since there’s no point in watering on the 28th. Or just upgrade it straight through every level during Winter.

Eria

I need money. Any tips? I'm in summer year 1.

Also I bought a farm and I don't know what I've to do with that LOL

limlark

Is anyone else finding that after playing this game for a few hours, and/or just leaving it suspended for a good while, the audio gets kinda crackly? So far I've only been able to fix it by restarting the Switch itself, but that does instantly fix it, so I don't know if that means it's a hardware thing or not. I hope it isn't. I don't really wanna play anything else for long enough to test it, though. :x

Makonero

Everyday I swear I'm going to actually talk to a villager and everyday I fail.

I have shit to do and money to make!

Not being able to know where people are (outside of looking online at a guide) is really frustrating. I generally check in at the saloon in the evening, at my crush's house in the morning, and the general store too. I found them all jazzercizing once when I needed to buy a chicken coop and couldn't find Robin. I wish there was some way to really learn someone's basic schedule or find someone easily (like texting them to see where they are).

Is anyone else finding that after playing this game for a few hours, and/or just leaving it suspended for a good while, the audio gets kinda crackly? So far I've only been able to fix it by restarting the Switch itself, but that does instantly fix it, so I don't know if that means it's a hardware thing or not. I hope it isn't. I don't really wanna play anything else for long enough to test it, though. :x

It's a known issue. A patch is already on the way.

I haven't experienced it though.

Not being able to know where people are (outside of looking online at a guide) is really frustrating. I generally check in at the saloon in the evening, at my crush's house in the morning, and the general store too. I found them all jazzercizing once when I needed to buy a chicken coop and couldn't find Robin. I wish there was some way to really learn someone's basic schedule or find someone easily (like texting them to see where they are).

Yeah, it's one of the only parts of the game I get annoyed with. Marnie wanted a piece of refined quartz and I basically had to hang out near her house like a creep until I saw her wander by. It's cool that the NPCs have varied schedules but I'm trying to make that money!

Should I start over? (7+ hours @ the end of Spring). I chose Rancher thinking I could switch over to the Tiller profession if I wanted. I realized I don’t want to deal with nothing but animals, though, so did I mess up my playthrough?

Should I start over? (7+ hours @ the end of Spring). I chose Rancher thinking I could switch over to the Tiller profession if I wanted. I realized I don’t want to deal with nothing but animals, though, so did I mess up my playthrough?
The level 10 tiller line perk is way better than rancher. But it’s not a big deal, you can always start a second farm.

Top Bottom