• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley for Nintendo Switch |OT| Starving for a Harvest

Fliesen

Finally it's winter and luckily, i was able to unlock the bus route in time.
Now i'm off to gather as much iridium as i can, so i'll start spring with the maxed out iridium watering can (and some cash for a huge chunk of spring seeds, and a tree).

While sprinklers are a fine QoL features, i feel like - with the top tier watering can - watering your crops is so fast, you'll still have to wait for stores / the blacksmith to open or for Pam to get to the bus.

They start to become important when you have plenty of livestock management (milking cows and goats, collecting eggs, making mayonnaise).

For me I mostly used it as a “rest” month. Fishing, mining, reorganizing my farm, laying down paths. If you have a greenhouse you can farm but if you don’t, you can only plant winter seeds or fruit trees that will produce fruits in spring.

Ok, then I'll do pretty much that.

How can I get any hay in winter besides buying it?

Fliesen

Ok, then I'll do pretty much that.

How can I get any hay in winter besides buying it?

* Have a Silo
* Cut down the grass that grows around your farm (spring, summer, fall) with your scythe

It'll store up to 240 hay, which means 8.5 hay/day in winter - thereby feeding up to 8 animals.
With more animals, you'll need to add a second silo - but don't worry, there's no kind of 'hay management'. (like juggling stacks of hay between individual silos)
Cutting down grass with your scythe will automatically deposit the hay in your silos. Also, the dispenser within your coop and barn have access to the total storage capacity of all your silos combined.
The only times you need to have hay in your inventory is when moving it from the hay hopper to the feeding bench. (deluxe coop and deluxe barn have an auto dispenser, so by that time you'll never need to manually grab a single bale of hay)

Fliesen

Crap, I built a silo, but only in late autumn and didn't have that much time to collect grass.

i don't think(!) your animals will die from malnourishment, so you might just wanna make them go through winter hungry instead of spending loads of cash.

I mean, if we're talking chickens: 1 bale of hay (50g) will make the chicken lay an egg worth (50g) - so unless you have some mayonnaise makers (mayo = 190g), it might be worth taking the L on your livestock

Frodo

i don't think(!) your animals will die from malnourishment, so you might just wanna make them go through winter hungry instead of spending loads of cash.

I mean, if we're talking chickens: 1 bale of hay (50g) will make the chicken lay an egg worth (50g) - so unless you have some mayonnaise makers (mayo = 190g), it might be worth taking the L on your livestock

IT'S NOT ABOUT THE MONEY IT'S ABOUT THEIR WELL-BEING!!!

c1d

Yeah the only tip for new players that should be given is 'silo before coop'. Scythe uses no energy so there is almost no excuse for not having enough hay through winter (although as stated, worst case is your animals get mad at you)

Okay so here is my farm as of last night. Spring year 2
r6e51rq.jpg
Theres a bit more to it including beehives, this is the main couple of areas i have so far. When I played on pc theres was only the original farm available. This playthrough im loving the natural walls of the hilltop farm. Its meaning i dont have to use many fences at all, which I always hated repairing, as well as helping design wise with asthetics.

My aims for this year are to become self sustaining with seeds so i dont have to visit pierre any more, and to finish most bundles in the community center. Im pulling in decent profits now, but nowhere near what i had on the pc by fall year 1, I messed up massively in summer this save, making barely any profits, but everything seems to be back on track now!

How are people making decent money fishing? Most of the fish I catch sell for less than 100g. I am thinking of getting a ton of crab pots, but I mostly get trash in them so not sure they are worth the investment?

Figgles

Don’t do this. Definitely buy feed, as you will still be making money. If you don’t feed the animals their relationship with you will bottom out, which decreases the quality of the goods they produce.

I milk cows but it's not in a bug enough container for the community centre how do I get a bigger container?

Just keep petting, feeding, and milking cows, chickens, and goats and eventually you'll get the bigger version of their items for the community center. Its random based upon how much they like you.

Fliesen

Don't do this. Definitely buy feed, as you will still be making money. If you don't feed the animals their relationship with you will bottom out, which decreases the quality of the goods they produce.

well, it'll bottom out to where it started when you bought the animals.
I don't believe someone in their first year would already have 5 hearts with their animals - meanwhile, it's rather essential to save up money over winter, so you can start Spring (year 2) with as many seeds as possible.

If Patrick Bateman is confident they'll be saving up enough money to have a proper start into the year 2 planting and farming season, they can keep the few chickens they own happy. 4x hay for each day of winter is 5,600g - i'd rather invest that into anything with returns and 'compound interest'. (be it better tools, seed packs, farm upgrades)

I milk cows but it's not in a bug enough container for the community centre how do I get a bigger container?

Just keep petting, feeding, and milking cows, chickens, and goats and eventually you'll get the bigger version of their items for the community center. Its random based upon how much they like you.

yup, same goes for large eggs, duck feathers and rabbit's feet. All of them require a certain level of animal happiness.

pbsapeer

Banned
Nice one thanks!

Damn I really wanted to get my character to get with Haley but she's a bitch. Penny seems like a good choice and I want to help her as her mum is clearly an alcoholic who lives in a trailer.

Figgles

well, it'll bottom out to where it started when you bought the animals.
I don't believe someone in their first year would already have 5 hearts with their animals - meanwhile, it's rather essential to save up money over winter, so you can start Spring (year 2) with as many seeds as possible.

If Patrick Bateman is confident they'll be saving up enough money to have a proper start into the year 2 planting and farming season, they can keep the few chickens they own happy. 4x hay for each day of winter is 5,600g - i'd rather invest that into anything with returns and 'compound interest'. (be it better tools, seed packs, farm upgrades)

yup, same goes for large eggs, duck feathers and rabbit's feet. All of them require a certain level of animal happiness.

Making 15k+ profit on mayonnaise during winter will buy a lot of seeds.

Unai

If you only have one silo you can always fill it, get some hay back and store them in a chest and proceed to cut more grass to make more hay.

I don't remember if it's possible to do this when you have the auto feeder, though.

Fliesen

Making 15k+ profit on mayonnaise during winter will buy a lot of seeds.

absolutely, which is why, in my initial response i said: "unless you have some mayonnaise makers"
They're kinda cheap, the only bothersome part can be the earth crystal, as it's RNG based.

If you only have one silo you can always fill it, get some hay back and store them in a chest and proceed to cut more grass to make more hay.

I don't remember if it's possible to do this when you have the auto feeder, though.

i mean, that sounds like a really cumbersome workaround, and silos are so cheap to build anyways.

absolutely, which is why, in my initial response i said: "unless you have some mayonnaise makers"
They're kinda cheap, the only bothersome part can be the earth crystal, as it's RNG based.

The 25,000 bundle gets you a machine that makes extra gems for you. It can spit out 1 earth crystal a day. If you need to make more mayonnaise machines that's a quick way to get the gems you need without relying on rng.

Fliesen

The 25,000 bundle gets you a machine that makes extra gems for you. It can spit out 1 earth crystal a day. If you need to make more mayonnaise machines that's a quick way to get the gems you need without relying on rng.

Thanks, i know all of this.

I'm just going by the information we do have - and that is a poster who is an absolute newcomer to the game who's already days into Winter (1), who hadn't even built a Silo in time. Do you really think they'd have the Crystalarium already? :/

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.

I dont think it's random. They get to the point, full hearts maybe, where they do nothing but large.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Farm degradation, you mean no more watering, etc.? Because so far I've only seen fences break.

So if I get married I won't have to worry about fences? Time to woo Abigail then.
The super expensive item
Gold Clock for 10,000,000G
will stop fences from decaying and debris to appear(small stones, branches, weed).

Marry question: I can't tell you for sure because I have Hardwood Fences and they are supposed to last more than 500 ingame days, but from time to time Leah told me that she repaired some fences.

I'm just going by the information we do have - and that is a poster who is an absolute newcomer to the game who's already days into Winter (1), who hadn't even built a Silo in time. Do you really think they'd have the Crystalarium already? :/

My bad lol, I'm just throwing out info I know (this is my first time playing the game as well :X)

Fliesen

My bad lol, I'm just throwing out info I know (this is my first time playing the game as well :X)

any kind of information is valuable, of course :)

i think the context of whom i was originally replying to somehow got lost along the chain of quotes.

The whole thing's a real reminder of the complexity of the games economic systems though.
Like, how not owning each step of the supply chain (having to buy the hay) can still make your product profitable, if you add additional value through refining (mayo), while there's zero-to-negligible profit in buying hay and selling the eggs.

Hey :/

Nosgotham

The super expensive item
will stop fences from decaying and debris to appear(small stones, branches, weed).

Marry question: I can't tell you for sure because I have Hardwood Fences and they are supposed to last more than 500 ingame days, but from time to time Leah told me that she repaired some fences.

she is a liar. i saw her flirting with shane and running out of the wizards house. dont trust her.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
On one hand I want to pace out my money making, on the other hand I want to unlock the desert. I also find it hilarious I got the boiler room done first.

The super expensive item

I honestly like those "trash" stuff since they're additional resources.

Fences: Ah I see.

she is a liar. i saw her flirting with shane and running out of the wizards house. dont trust her.

lmao

Fliesen

On one hand I want to pace out my money making, on the other hand I want to unlock the desert. I also find it hilarious I got the boiler room done first.

well, unless you use a proper check-list and really plant your crops around the community center bundles (like making sure you have 5 gold-star quality crops), i actually think most people would finish the boiler room first.

The forage bundles take at least until Winter,
Spending 42,500g in the Vault hamstrings your progress,
The Artisan and Animal bundles are quite far down the 'tech tree',
To finish the fish tank, you actually need to finish the vault first (as the sandskip can only be caught in Calico desert)

The boiler room can be completed by just doing the mines.

Fliesen

What do you guys take with you in the mine besides a pick axe and a weapon?

To be honest, from the moment i got my first bag-upgrade, i pretty much bring all tools with me all the time. I don't feel that one extra free slot matters, and i'd rather be flexible in what to do, like if i wanna chop down some trees on the way back from the mine, or when i wanna dig up something. - like, you can maybe leave the scythe and fishing rod at home, since you don't really need the scythe outside of your farm.
1 1/2 bars of free slots should be more than enough for one day of mining.
Just drop that dirt, wood, that slime, sap or algae ... any of the 'vendor trash' that you don't really need for crafting, that doesn't really sell well and that you'll be acquiring easier through other means.

Redlogic

Sorry I missed this, but I’ve made it into my first winter and my game has now crashed on me twice. Both times right as I was attempting to sleep for the night (the most recent, a return from a very successful trip to the mines, arrrhg). Is there something causing this or a way to prevent it? It’s very aggravating as I LOVE this game.

Zzoram

Sorry I missed this, but I’ve made it into my first winter and my game has now crashed on me twice. Both times right as I was attempting to sleep for the night (the most recent, a return from a very successful trip to the mines, arrrhg). Is there something causing this or a way to prevent it? It’s very aggravating as I LOVE this game.

The bug is known and will be fixed in the next patch.

Basically, the game will crash if your main set of tools isn't in your inventory, because the game will search all your storage containers (including fridge if you expanded your house) to look for any missing tools. If the scan encounters an empty space between items in a container, it crashes. The solution is to either keep containers empty or full or sorted so there are no gaps between items.

Fliesen

The bug is known and will be fixed in the next patch.

Basically, the game will crash if your main set of tools isn't in your inventory, because the game will search all your storage containers (including fridge if you expanded your house) to look for any missing tools. If the scan encounters an empty space between items in a container, it crashes. The solution is to either keep containers empty or full or sorted so there are no gaps between items.

Which doesn't happen in regular chests, as they don't leave gaps. The problem seems to mainly / only occur because during the day you cooked something with an ingredient from your fridge - the fridge doesn't "auto-cascade" your items, so it might leave a gap between - say - the flour and the sugar, because you used the last bottle of oil.

Check your fridge after making breakfast, see if you have any gaps.

Redlogic

Ok I think this is it, cause I made eggs to have with me if I need a snack while mining. I bet I used up all the eggs leaving a gap in the fridge. Thanks all!!

Which doesn't happen in regular chests, as they don't leave gaps. The problem seems to mainly / only occur because during the day you cooked something with an ingredient from your fridge - the fridge doesn't "auto-cascade" your items, so it might leave a gap between - say - the flour and the sugar, because you used the last bottle of oil.

Check your fridge after making breakfast, see if you have any gaps.

Boss Doggie

well, unless you use a proper check-list and really plant your crops around the community center bundles (like making sure you have 5 gold-star quality crops), i actually think most people would finish the boiler room first.

The forage bundles take at least until Winter,
Spending 42,500g in the Vault hamstrings your progress,
The Artisan and Animal bundles are quite far down the 'tech tree',
To finish the fish tank, you actually need to finish the vault first (as the sandskip can only be caught in Calico desert)

The boiler room can be completed by just doing the mines.
true enough, though I guess getting the fire crystal can be a bitch if you're not careful

JakeD

Ok I think this is it, cause I made eggs to have with me if I need a snack while mining. I bet I used up all the eggs leaving a gap in the fridge. Thanks all!!

Did you have tool out of your inventory too? Just wondering if the gap alone could be enough to trigger it

Redlogic

It’s possible, I’ll have to check. I’ve spent plenty of days with my fishing pole in storage but if I recall correctly both times my game crashed I made eggs, so I’m assuming that’s the culprit.

Did you have tool out of your inventory too? Just wondering if the gap alone could be enough to trigger it

Fliesen

It's possible, I'll have to check. I've spent plenty of days with my fishing pole in storage but if I recall correctly both times my game crashed I made eggs, so I'm assuming that's the culprit.

i think both needs to happen. The game doesn't do the "check all containers" thing when you have all (main) tools on you.
I don't think the fishing pole is a "main" tool, as you can just buy one.

To people who have been doing the community Center bundles:

How much stuff does the bus lead to? I just unlocked it, never did the first time I played.

It has one destination only, you don't need to race for it, but the bus is what makes you able to somewhat reliably farm for Iridium. So once you have all gold-level tools, you should probably complete the vault next.

Boss Doggie

Early on, Salad is a good choice to bring in the mines since it can refill energy and health high up, but not as costly.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
So I've avoided all spoilers and guides for this game. Just finished day 4 and i've basically done nothing. Tried to do the first 2 quests and still miss a couple of people to meet and don't know if my turnip is ready to harvest or not.

Do I just keep running around town without an agenda?

Finally it's winter and luckily, i was able to unlock the bus route in time.
Now i'm off to gather as much iridium as i can, so i'll start spring with the maxed out iridium watering can (and some cash for a huge chunk of spring seeds, and a tree).

While sprinklers are a fine QoL features, i feel like - with the top tier watering can - watering your crops is so fast, you'll still have to wait for stores / the blacksmith to open or for Pam to get to the bus.

They start to become important when you have plenty of livestock management (milking cows and goats, collecting eggs, making mayonnaise).
I have a hard time timing when I should upgrade my watering can. I don't want to leave any of my crops unwatered.

Top Bottom