• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield, my thoughts about early access.

Puscifer

Thats where it starts.

Next it will by 100 for 30 days early

50 for 15 days early and 25 for 5 days early.

In reality you're not paying to get the game early.

You are getting the game late for not paying.
You paid 70 for the launch edition, 30 for the season pass and art book, etc. At that point early access is just a bonus, there's no real cool physical goodies anymore for the extra price unless you're shelling out 2-300 dollars might as well give em early access as it's something tangible for saying "you bought the more expensive edition, thanks!" No one's keeping you all from just waiting

Pedro Motta

It’s kind of scary what it could lead to, what they may try to push on us but alas I am a part of the problem
When I buy my games I usually give away the 10 extra bucks for the deluxe editions, but I very rarely buy the Premium editions. When I pre-order games for 80$ I'd like to play them day one like everyone else, not a week later than who pays extra 30$ for Premium editions.
Very quickly all the social media is full of spoilers during that week and it really disappoint me these predatory tactics.

Elysium44

Banned
You paid 70 for the launch edition, 30 for the season pass and art book, etc. At that point early access is just a bonus, there's no real cool physical goodies anymore for the extra price unless you're shelling out 2-300 dollars might as well give em early access as it's something tangible for saying "you bought the more expensive edition, thanks!" No one's keeping you all from just waiting

A lot fewer people would have bought the premium edition if it didn't grant early access. At least they would have tried the base game and then decided whether to buy it (and it stands to reason, plenty would have decided the base game is enough).

Last edited:
What? Bethesda/MS are keeping you waiting buy introducing a paywall.

If the game was ready for launch to the "early access" folks they it was ready for everbody else.

They arbitrarily moved the launch date back for the masses to make a quick buck on the few.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
When I buy my games I usually give away the 10 extra bucks for the deluxe editions, but I very rarely buy the Premium editions. When I pre-order games for 80$ I'd like to play them day one like everyone else, not a week later than who pays extra 30$ for Premium editions.
Very quickly all the social media is full of spoilers during that week and it really disappoint me these predatory tactics.
Yeah, even more FOMO. The idea is genius, effectively force people to pay more without giving them more, but precedence over others and less impact from potential spoilers which their system is actually helping to create. A great loop!

Puscifer

A lot fewer people would have bought the premium edition if it didn't grant early access. At least they would have tried the base game and then decided whether to buy that (and it stands to reason, plenty would have decided the base game is enough).
What? Bethesda/MS are keeping you waiting buy introducing a paywall.

If the game was ready for launch to the "early access" folks they it was ready for everbody else.

They arbitrarily moved the launch date back for the masses to make a quick buck on the few.

Retailers are the only reason they probably don't sell copies early because of street dates and old practices not to mention marketing deals. Additionally the September release date was known since May and they didn't even announce the early release until July, I'm having a hard time believing they "arbitrarily moved the release date" when it was clear they were following a trend.

Honestly like horse armor just don't buy it, but people won't listen and they'll do it anyway.

soulbait

I wasn't going to buy this, but then I realized I had nothing going on this three day weekend and decided to do it.

I am probably going to buy the expansion anyways, so to me it was not a big deal.

I now have 27 hours in the game, and love it.

Montauk

Yeah, even more FOMO. The idea is genius, effectively force people to pay more without giving them more, but precedence over others and less impact from potential spoilers which their system is actually helping to create. A great loop!

While making “Day One on Gamepass” a central pillar of their marketing.

Early access is definitely a money making scheme to charge people for fomo.
I don't know why every game won't do this now and push back their release dates.
Thanks MS for making this normal just like paying to play online . . .

I do find it funny that piraters can play Starfield before GamePass and $70 users though.

Ozriel

M$FT

It’s certainly not listed as ‘Day 5’ on Amazon and Best Buy

I do find it funny that piraters can play Starfield before GamePass and $70 users though.
People who steal things don’t have to pay like everyone else. That’s not a compelling argument.

Thanks MS for making this normal just like paying to play online . .

So it wasn’t a problem when Larian did it for BG3, or WB for Hogwarts Legacy, or EA for Battlefield or ABK for Call of Duty, or the upcoming Mortal Kombat 1.

It’s certainly not listed as ‘Day 5’ on Amazon and Best Buy

People who steal things don’t have to pay like everyone else. That’s not a compelling argument.

So it wasn’t a problem when Larian did it for BG3, or WB for Hogwarts Legacy, or EA for Battlefield or ABK for Call of Duty, or the upcoming Mortal Kombat 1.
MS started it before all those I believe, and have done it for all their major AAA releases ever sense.
They're the only ones that have been doing it with all their major releases.

damidu

yeah you can bet, this is the defacto standard for all ms aaa releases going forward.
they are already doing it with forza8 too

next in line, "wouldn’t you play 2 weeks early with our strategicly long weekend scheduled super deluxe version?"

id say fuck ms, but its more of an issue with stupid customers and defenders

Last edited:
Retailers are the only reason they probably don't sell copies early because of street dates and old practices not to mention marketing deals. Additionally the September release date was known since May and they didn't even announce the early release until July, I'm having a hard time believing they "arbitrarily moved the release date" when it was clear they were following a trend.

Honestly like horse armor just don't buy it, but people won't listen and they'll do it anyway.
What MS/Bethesda did was functionally the same as providing a release date for the game then pushing it back a week for those that didn't pay extra.

The cherry on top is them acting like they are doing a favor to those who paid when in reality there just fucking over those who didn't.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
MS started it before all those I believe, and have done it for all their major AAA releases ever sense.
They're the only ones that have been doing it with all their major releases.

That's cause MS has done this with their last 3-4 major releases and normalized it. BG3 just shows others are catching on and will do the same thing. It all sucks. Thanks MS.

Oh nevermind, just saw the rest of your posts. Pointless.

The game is day 1 on game pass with the retail release for all Xbox, PC, Steam etc users.

The what aboutism needs to stop.

"this whataboutism needs to stop"
"It's fucked no matter who does it"

He says after making 4, 5 posts in a row blaming one publisher for something others have been doing since the 2010s.

Very transparent.

Jon Hamm Yes GIF

Last edited:

The game is day 1 on game pass with the retail release for all Xbox, PC, Steam etc users.

He says after making 4, 5 posts in a row blaming one publisher for something others have been doing since the 2010s.

Very transparent.

Jon Hamm Yes GIF
MS weren't the first to make people pay to play online either.
The point is that MS is who normalizes it and gets it to spread.
1st platform holder to do this garbage.

MS is never the first to come up with anything tbh. Just ask Steve Jobs.

Last edited:

Very transparent.

Jon Hamm Yes GIF
Fuck out of here with that console war bullshit.

We're in a Starfield thread talking about their situation

Like i said and you quoted, it doesn't matter whos does it is fucked. I have maintained that position throughout.

Handwaving it because someone else does it too doesn't add to the conversation and is damage control at best

adamsapple

Fuck out of here with that console war bullshit.

We're in a Starfield thread talking about their situation

Like i said and you quoted, it doesn't matter whos does it is fucked. I have maintained that position throughout.

Handwaving it because someone else does it too doesn't add to the conversation and is damage control at best

Because we're in a starfield thread, we can't talk about the the practice long before the game ? That's some weird gatekeeping. The OP itself is also talking about many companies doing it.

You've spent the last couple of your posts throwing shade at one publisher doing it and any time someone tells you about it happening long before, you're accusing them of whataboutism ..

MS weren't the first to make people pay to play online either.
The point is that MS is who normalizes it and gets it to spread.
1st platform holder to do this garbage.

MS is never the first to come up with anything tbh. Just ask Steve Jobs.

"MS Started it"
"MS is never the first to come up with anything"

Make up your mind, charles.

There is a genuine discussion to be had about the practice of early access, you're not here for that clearly.

Last edited:

roxya

It'll be interesting to see if these early access periods get longer in the future. With a longer period there's even more incentive to pay up but at some point it'll create serious bad will with everyone else (I don't think 5 days is enough to do any real damage)

Because we're in a starfield thread, we can't talk about the the practice long before the game ? That's some weird gatekeeping. The OP itself is also talking about many companies doing it.

You've spent the last couple of your posts throwing shade at one publisher doing it and any time someone tells you about it happening long before, you're accusing them of whataboutism ..

"MS Started it"

There is a genuine discussion to be had about the practice of early access, you're not here for that clearly.
Your bias is clouding your vision.

My issue is poster/s dismissing it because other companies are doing it too, as a defense to this shitty practice.

For the third time who cares who does it, its shitty. MS/ Bethesda was singled out by me because we are in a Starfield thread.

No gatekeeping, no console wars, you are just seeing what you want to see.

adamsapple

Your bias is clouding your vision.

My issue is poster/s dismissing it because other companies are doing it too, as a defense to this shitty practice.

For the third time who cares who does it, its shitty. MS/ Bethesda was singled out by me because we are in a Starfield thread.

No gatekeeping, no console wars, you are just seeing what you want to see.

Use the trusty old adage of "vote with your wallet".

If you don't like the practice, don't partake. I don't partake in every or any of these, just this one case because of 1/ my personal hype for the game, 2/ the early access period falling conveniently right before a long holiday weekend and 3/ the base game already being on game pass, so I'm not having to pay the full $100, just the upgrade fee. Does that mean I'm also going to do the same for Forza ? No. I will play it on the general release date because my personal hype for the game isn't as high as Starfield. But I also won't fault anyone else who get the early access there.

I don't care if people are buying early access for any game, whether Starfield, BG3 or even Madden. It's value is subjective to you and everyone, on how much they want to pay for access before the general street date.

Last edited:

"MS Started it"

You got me, MS didn't start it . . . MS is who started to normalize it and is the first major platform holder to do it. Better?

Use the trusty old adage of "vote with your wallet".

If you don't like the practice, don't partake. I don't partake in every or any of these, just this one case because of 1/ my personal hype for the game, 2/ the early access period falling conveniently right before a long holiday weekend and 3/ the base game already being on game pass, so I'm not having to pay the full $100, just the upgrade fee. Does that mean I'm also going to do the same for Forza ? No. I will play it on the general release date because my personal hype for the game isn't as high as Starfield. But I also won't fault anyone else who get the early access there.

I don't care if people are buying early access for any game, whether Starfield, BG3 or even Madden. It's value is subjective to you and everyone, on how much they want to pay for access before the general street date.
As i have stated prior, you are not paying to get access early, you are getting access late unless you pay.

Its not the same thing. They are intentionally withholding the game for the masses when its ready for release.

If they are trying to get more sales for the collective edition then they should make it more appealing by adding stuff people want instead of just screwing other people over.

adamsapple

Now that I’ve played it for 15hrs or so early access was absolutely worth it for me

Same. I'm almost hitting 30 hrs now and it feels like I got my worth out of the early access (not even factoring in that it includes the DLC campaign as well).

Montauk

This level of unashamed simping for a multi-trillion dollar company is remarkable.

Personally I don’t feel that this constitutes ‘Day One’.

And I feel like however I damn like about it, especially as a Xbox owner and Gamepass subscriber.

This sad brand loyalty will never stop being strange behaviour to me.

Last edited:

devilNprada

Personally I don’t feel that this constitutes ‘Day One’.
This I agree with, they should come with a less disingenuous catch phrase..

I am really ok with early access, as it is just a little added perk to me and usually comes with some added content material. It can be a preorder incentive, I am totally ok with, and almost always do preorder the ultimate editions.

Same. I'm almost hitting 30 hrs now and it feels like I got my worth out of the early access
Early access can be a great value I agree, especially these days when they cleverly time it to be able play it through the weekend.
In this case a three day weekend Fucking genus!

Last edited:

Puscifer

What MS/Bethesda did was functionally the same as providing a release date for the game then pushing it back a week for those that didn't pay extra.

The cherry on top is them acting like they are doing a favor to those who paid when in reality there just fucking over those who didn't.
The thing is I still waited, it's really not a huge deal. You pay for additional content and get to play early as a bonus. No one's fucking you over because you decided to wait for the official release date or game pass, they set the official date 2 months before they even announced this was a thing. There's people out there who know damn well they're going to put hundreds of hours into a Bethesda game and will buy ever piece of content, they got what they're looking for in the deluxe edition with the expansion, the other typical goodies and then got to play early as a result. No one forced their hand, Microsoft didn't block you from playing early, they aren't raising the MSRP to 99, they simply gave those who bought a better edition another bonus.

The thing is I still waited, it's really not a huge deal. You pay for additional content and get to play early as a bonus. No one's fucking you over because you decided to wait for the official release date or game pass, they set the official date 2 months before they even announced this was a thing. There's people out there who know damn well they're going to put hundreds of hours into a Bethesda game and will buy ever piece of content, they got what they're looking for in the deluxe edition with the expansion, the other typical goodies and then got to play early as a result. No one forced their hand, Microsoft didn't block you from playing early, they aren't raising the MSRP to 99, they simply gave those who bought a better edition another bonus.
Question 1: Was the game ready for release on Sept 1st?

Question 2: Was the game released on Sept 1st for everyone?

Question 3: Why not?

Puscifer

Question 1: Was the game ready for release on Sept 1st?

Question 2: Was the game released on Sept 1st for everyone?

Question 3: Why not?

1. I mean it was pressed at factories and sent to warehouses so I'm assuming so

2. No, it was an added bonus for people who upgraded to the deluxe edition. I RARELY buy games first day anymore, from the outside since 80% of games are digital they have to have some kind of incentive to justify the price increase since there's nothing physical like many deluxe/special decisions. This seems like an incentive for spending more to replace what you aren't getting anymore vs trying to screw people over.

3. Don't know, don't care, spend your money where you please I just know that I didn't.

amigastar

I don't have problem with getting 6 days access before the initial release.
If you don't like it don't use it, it's certainly better than MTX bullshit.
If GTA 6 comes out a week earlier i will get it for sure.

IDappa

Absolutely disgusting that they offer people early access and an expansion included instead of making it a free to play microtransaction fest. Don't they know gamers are liltte man babies with no self restraint or have no concept of responsible spending?.
((Won't someone think of the children gif))

Deplorable Microsoft..

/S

Last edited:

Digfox

I personally don't like it but as someone that rarely buys at release, as I tend to wait for discounts, I've pretty much always resisted. Some people have said they'd rather this than MTX, but in reality a lot of Live Service and MTX-ridden games are doing this too.

This time though I did crumble for Starfield paying the £31.49 for the premium upgrade on Xbox. They truly got me with the marketing and controlling hype through the late reviews. I think my big issue with MS doing it is that it makes a mockery of the 'day & date' claim for GP and effectively becomes a two tier service. Although I get it's very successful. But I think it will be a factor in why I ditch GP Ultimate when it's next up for renewal.

1. I mean it was pressed at factories and sent to warehouses so I'm assuming so

2. No, it was an added bonus for people who upgraded to the deluxe edition. I RARELY buy games first day anymore, from the outside since 80% of games are digital they have to have some kind of incentive to justify the price increase since there's nothing physical like many deluxe/special decisions. This seems like an incentive for spending more to replace what you aren't getting anymore vs trying to screw people over.

3. Don't know, don't care, spend your money where you please I just know that I didn't.
1. So you agree it should have been available to release to everyone

2. They withheld the release to everyone but decided to only release to people who paid more. My gosh so nice of them.

3. The answer is corporate greed, but you know that already.

If i pay full price for the game i should have access as soon as it is available not wait a week because they want to take advantage of peoples FOMO. Its not an extra perk for the ones that paid extra its withholding from the masses because they didn't.

I have no issues waiting if it was delayed for technical reasons or they needed a staggered roleout because of server constraints or something like that but to gatekeep strictly justify the added cost...seems petty.

Look at it this way. Lets pretend that everyone bought the enhanced version for the $100 and everyone had access on the 1st of Sept vs the 6th. Did the game then officially launch on the 1st and cost $100? In thats the cases whats the basees for the price increase? It only has value if you get the game early and others dont otherwise your just getting it when it launched how most traditionally do. Which brings me to my conclusion, they are building "value" by permitting those who paid more at the cost of those who paid less.

twilo99

Is content always included with the early access or sometimes they just do plain ea without a DLC or anything like that ?

Puscifer

1. So you agree it should have been available to release to everyone

2. They withheld the release to everyone but decided to only release to people who paid more. My gosh so nice of them.

3. The answer is corporate greed, but you know that already.

If i pay full price for the game i should have access as soon as it is available not wait a week because they want to take advantage of peoples FOMO. Its not an extra perk for the ones that paid extra its withholding from the masses because they didn't.

I have no issues waiting if it was delayed for technical reasons or they needed a staggered roleout because of server constraints or something like that but to gatekeep strictly justify the added cost...seems petty.

Look at it this way. Lets pretend that everyone bought the enhanced version for the $100 and everyone had access on the 1st of Sept vs the 6th. Did the game then officially launch on the 1st and cost $100? In thats the cases whats the basees for the price increase? It only has value if you get the game early and others dont otherwise your just getting it when it launched how most traditionally do. Which brings me to my conclusion, they are building "value" by permitting those who paid more at the cost of those who paid less.
1. Release dates have never worked like that

2. As I said, vote with your wallet. They announced the original date before the early release, between then the idea of playing early being included in deluxe editions was a thing so why exactly wouldn't they follow it? You already said you're okay with waiting for the official release date like me so why is it an issue? Just to bitch on the Internet?

3. Consider it a perk or don't, youll likely get the dlc at a discounted rate as well as a "perk" for upgrading to deluxe like so many other games but do you deserve the discounted expansion as well because you chose to not invest in the edition that granted it because you feel like your 70 dollars is a good as someone else's 100? Give me a break dude, you're literally whining over video games and I bet you're even playing it today and didn't choose to refund ior cancel your gamepass in protest either I bet.

1. Release dates have never worked like that

2. As I said, vote with your wallet. They announced the original date before the early release, between then the idea of playing early being included in deluxe editions was a thing so why exactly wouldn't they follow it? You already said you're okay with waiting for the official release date like me so why is it an issue? Just to bitch on the Internet?

3. Consider it a perk or don't, youll likely get the dlc at a discounted rate as well as a "perk" for upgrading to deluxe like so many other games but do you deserve the discounted expansion as well because you chose to not invest in the edition that granted it because you feel like your 70 dollars is a good as someone else's 100? Give me a break dude, you're literally whining over video games and I bet you're even playing it today and didn't choose to refund ior cancel your gamepass in protest either I bet.
I dont have the game, i just think its a shitty tactic that can get out of hand if folks just keep the thought process of its only a few days, or some even calling it a perk.

GloveSlap

They can do what they want, but i would never waste money like that. Like i know a dude with kids that is always on unemployment/welfare, but low and behold there he is on Starfield on day one of early access.

Puscifer

I dont have the game, i just think its a shitty tactic that can get out of hand if folks just keep the thought process of its only a few days, or some even calling it a perk.
Oh God so why are you even complaining NOW when there's been other examples? Because it's the most high profile?

damidu

Oh God so why are you even complaining NOW when there's been other examples? Because it's the most high profile?
can it be because it’s happening with every major ms release now, genius.
only matter of time until this will become industry wide standard
but keep paying and defending for sure, your overlords love you

Last edited:

Puscifer

can it be because it’s happening with every major ms release now, genius.
only matter of time until this will become industry wide standard
but keep paying and defending for sure, your overlords love you
LOL, ok clown.

One look through my post history you'd see me shitting all over this industry and that I didn't even buy early access

Just don't buy it, it's really that simple. But if people, I dunno, keep buying the damn early access what more do you honestly expect?

Last edited:
Top Bottom