• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starhawk - Round up of Previews, Info, Videos

jiggles

Banned
nofi said:
Not true.

We've got an interview going live in 5 minutes that confirms this...

eBCBl.png

I kinda wish they saved this til E3. Could you imagine the fangasms if they showed some space dogfights, a little building here and there, some onfoot/jeep combat, and just as the trailer was coming to a close...

o044syu81i.gif

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
jigglywiggly said:
I kinda wish they saved this til E3. Could you imagine the fangasms if they showed some space dogfights, a little building here and there, some onfoot/jeep combat, and just as the trailer was coming to a close...
I dont mind it being early. So much happens at E3 that a game like this would just been drowned out by all the new Wii2 info/Uncharted 3/etc.

Omg, the wall mechanic seems so cool, I love building little fortress in RTS, its gonna be awesome building them in a TPS.

That shit better work in MP.

E-phonk

Banned
bjaelke said:
The strategic elements reminds me a bit of C&C Renegade!
I was thinking the same thing. This looks like an improved version of C&C Renegade. I really liked the strategic multiplayer part of C&C:R, made for some really intense battles.

woolley said:
Well that's really disappointing...It doesn't look like Warhawk at all.

Which part?
The part where it's pretty much Warhawk with better mechanics?
Or the part where it's Warhawk with lots of new toys to play with?
Or the part where it's Warhawk with SPACE BATTLES!

jiggles

Banned
Corran Horn said:
I dont mind it being early. So much happens at E3 that a game like this would just been drowned out by all the new Wii2 info/Uncharted 3/etc.

Actually, didn't Sony pretty much blow their load entirely in the months leading up to E3 last year?

We’re not releasing all the information just yet but there will be some… variation… on the tanks from Warhawk. There will be a heavy vehicle, something that feels real powerful when you’re blowing things up.

yeah, this is totally gonna be 4 legged tanks with jump capability for mobility that can transform into a more powerful siege mode.

woolley

AceBandage said:
Which part?
The part where it's pretty much Warhawk with better mechanics?
Or the part where it's Warhawk with lots of new toys to play with?
Or the part where it's Warhawk with SPACE BATTLES!
The part where there's no weapon pickups.
And other than the fact that it has a plane it doesn't look like the Warhawk gameplay at all.

When we build a resource gathering building on top of those rift holes, does the entire team get rift energy or only the person who built it?

Also, can you connect turrets to walls?

SykoTech

LiK said:
He looks pretty angsty to me.

Yeah, that's why I voiced the concern. I can handle some angst of course, but Emmett would get on my nerves quick if he turned out like Kratos or something.

Nekrono

woolley said:
And other than the fact that it has a plane it doesn't look like the Warhawk gameplay at all.
Damn you ARE serious...

You need to understand that this is just the first reveal ok, there are a lot of things that are still in the works and that have not been shown yet.

Now, weapon pickups did not make Warhawk what it is, was it fun? yeah sure, but maybe they will decide to implement a new mechanic or maybe it's just too soon and there isn't enough footage that shows it yet.

I really don't know what you mean by "it has a plane it doesn't look like the Warhawk gameplay at all." but the game oozes with a Warhawk feel to it, it pretty much has EVERYTHING that the original had and more.

I'm almost positive that your impression will change as more footage/info is released as this is truly the successor to Warhawk.

Metalmurphy said:
When we build a resource gathering building on top of those rift holes, does the entire team get rift energy or only the person who built it?

I'd assume the entire team gets to use the rift energy, as long as they are able to build structures.
I wonder if that's determined by rank or by being in a certain spot, though.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
woolley said:
I saw a video with a weapon pickup for a Warhawk, so I imagine they are in the game, just not on this first reveal just yet.

Warhawk gameplay looks fairly similar...

Wow this game is going to be strategically deep with the RTS option. Wasn't the original Warhawk a RTS? If so it's quite fitting and awesome.

I love everything that they showed so far. I'm glad they didn't follow the trend and put perks and crap like Killstreaks like other games. Can't wait to see space battles. I don't have doubts since there were stages in Warhawk that was committed to air battles.

Metalmurphy said:

resource are shared for the whole team, which is very concerning because what if someone is being a douche and spend all the team resource for some useless building. the mak amount of building in 1 match is also limited. that can also be really annoying if not handled right

Crakatak187 said:
Wow this game is going to be strategically deep with the RTS option. Wasn't the original Warhawk a RTS? If so it's quite fitting and awesome.

I love everything that they showed so far. I'm glad they didn't follow the trend and put perks and crap like Killstreaks like other games. Can't wait to see space battles. I don't have doubts since there were stages in Warhawk that was committed to air battles.

there are skills that you can equip like slightly faster hawk speed, or better Wall etc. you got skill point by leveling up and spend skill point to unlock and buy skills.
I guess it's something like MAG skillpoint system

LiK

SykoTech said:
Yeah, that's why I voiced the concern. I can handle some angst of course, but Emmett would get on my nerves quick if he turned out like Kratos or something.
Hope there won't be a QTE fight with a mech. :p

I'll be honest, my expectations for single-player are pretty low. That said, the game looks amazing and I can't wait to jump into some 32 player online battles.

I'm really loving the variation in environments, especially in the sky --- it's always something I look for in space games.

Callibretto said:
resource are shared for the whole team, which is very concerning because what if someone is being a douche and spend all the team resource for some useless building. the mak amount of building in 1 match is also limited. that can also be really annoying if not handled right

there are skills that you can equip like slightly faster hawk speed, or better Wall etc. you got skill point by leveling up and spend skill point to unlock and buy skills.
Ahh dammit. There goes the even playing field.

Shurs

I don't know what I was expecting, but I'm feeling kind of cold when watching the footage. I'm certainly not disappointed but I'm not really hyped, either.

Maybe I just don't get as excited for games as I used to. Maybe it's because 2012 feels so far away.

Huff

Banned
jett said:
Looks interesting, whether I get it or not will depend on the quality of its SP campaign .

Why worry about the SP? This game probably started out as a MP only and will probably be the better part of the game. I'm not saying the SP was tacked on or last min, just that I wouldn't expect too much out of it.

corn_fest

Callibretto said:
Ugh. One of the best things about Warhawk was that everyone started on the same footing, and your success was determined more or less only by your skills within that match. Not a fan of the upgrade system that's becoming prevalent in MP shooters.

Coheno

I never got around to playing Warhawk, tried the demo when it hit long after the game was out and had TONS of fun, but thought it was too late to get into it...

But this is a day one buy!

corn_fest said:
Ugh. One of the best things about Warhawk was that everyone started on the same footing, and your success was determined more or less only by your skills within that match. Not a fan of the upgrade system that's becoming prevalent in MP shooters.

yeah, in fact i was a little surprised the on foot parts weren't an fps.

woolley said:

C'mon dude, it has a year of development left and you're complaining that there is no weapon pickups? (yet)

And as others have said the flight mechanics on the Warhawks look pretty much unchanged. And we haven't even seen the fucking space battles yet. ;)

Have patience. Personally the only concern I have currently is how well they can balance the game, and the framerate in the final version. I have a lot of faith in LightBox and you should too. :) I mean, their first game was Warhawk after all.

I think I just found the answer to my own question:

QTLXR.jpg

That pillar on the left wall glows green to indicate you can attach a new wall to it, and the turrets have the same pillar:

ZkfKJ.jpg

So it seems you can attach walls to turrets to make one continuous defense wall. So awesome.

I do wish the art style was a bit more cartoony and fantastical, but the gameplay is the key and it sounds and looks awesome. The new touches sound interesting, there's still nothing like this series.

I want to see what the space battles look like...

I think it sounds awesome

I like the sound of the RTS elements and fucking SPACE BATTLES! It seems like they're focusing on the multiplayer to which is important. Wish I could watch the videos here at work

Top Bottom