• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starting December 8 2023, Battlefield 1943 and Battlefield: Bad Company 1 & 2 will be removed from digital storefronts

Draugoth

Gold Member
bc1-04-new.jpg.adapt.1024w.jpg

As we close in on 15 years since the release of Battlefield 1943, and Bad Company™ 1 & 2, we are announcing that their journey is coming to an end.

Starting April 28 2023, Battlefield 1943 and Battlefield: Bad Company 1 & 2 will be removed from digital storefronts and you will no longer be able to purchase them. This is in preparation for the retirement of the online services for these titles which will happen on December 8 2023. For Bad Company 1 & 2, you can still continue playing them and use their respective offline features, such as the single player campaign. You can also read our FAQ and Service Updates for further information on the retirement of online services.

While these titles hold a special place in our heart, we’re now looking forward to creating new memories alongside you as we shift our focus towards our current and future Battlefield experiences.

With this announcement we also want to take a moment today to reflect on our time with Battlefield 1943 and, Bad Company 1 & 2. We share amazing memories of not only their development, but also playing them alongside you.

T-Cake

That is a shame. BC1 really hasn’t aged at all well though. It looks ghastly and controls ghastly. Luckily BC2 is on Steam. I think the Vietnam expansion is multiplayer only though.

Kerotan

Probably because I can't play the PS3 disc on my PC?

I've never understood it personally. Keep the games for sale and let players sort out their own community servers.
But you can't play the digital PSN version on your pc either. I don't get your point.

EDMIX

When you guys ask for that digital future, let me remind you EA is also proud of you guys for asking for it too.....

Maybe some of you should be thinking a bit deeper about this...

poodaddy

Like damn EA just sell us a Bad Company 1+2 Remaster for $50.
I actually completely believe this will happen at some point. Almost everything is getting remade or remastered these days, and Bad Company has a pretty devoted fan base amongst Battlefield fans. Some publishers pull the old versions of games off their stores when they get ready to release remasters.....just saying. I don't wanna be disappointed though so I probably shouldn't think like that. Still though, seems feasible.

Last edited:
When you guys ask for that digital future, let me remind you EA is also proud of you guys for asking for it too.....

Maybe some of you should be thinking a bit deeper about this...
Confused Doctor Who GIF

I mean...It's not hard to track down an all digital game either so...

M0G

Nothing against discs, but how would owning these games on disc change anything when the online components are shut down?
As this keeps happening, more and more services will pop up preserving multiplayer. The Battlefield series already has one on PC and there are services for consoles making progress etc. For example BC2 will continue after shutdown as Project Venice. It's available on PC and if you're quick, you can still migrate your stats from the original PC or console server.

Obligatory "Fuck digital" comment here :p

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Honestly the reason BC2 is so well liked is because of the focus on map design, especially with the destructible environments.

See the focus of map design outside a few handful of TDM maps was Rush. Why is this important? Because it funnels players into engaments constantly, everyone is always fighting over the same thing and slowly because of map destruction is becomes harder and harder for the defenders to hold as their cover disapates leading the match to naturally move on. These where then expanded on to create CP maps.

Now modern battlefields focus is CP and maps are designed with CP in mind and then trimmed down to create rush maps. This means that the design of the map is radically different as points are designed to be defensible from all sides due to their original CP design and the limited destruction means that most of them are as easy to defend at the end of a match as they are at the start. This means CP is the primary game mode that is played and so the combat is spread out all over, this is why choke point maps like Metro & Bazaar became so popular, because they are some of the few maps that funnel players into constant engagement with the whole enemy team.

Essentially as much as battlefield is marketed on large scale open combat, what players actually crave is large quantities of people throwing themselves at each other until one of them breaks. That chaos is what BC2 perfected and every following title has moved further away from, I wish the Vietnam DLC had been a full size release.

Last edited:
Top Bottom