• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Decay 2 trailer (XB1/PC, Spring 2018)

shandy706

What's funny is that State of Decay (1) was announced 11 months before The Last of Us (1).

Not only was it first, it's a MUCH better Zombie/Survival game. IMO of course, but I don't think TLoU holds a candle to it as far as "surviving in a zombie apocalypse" goes.

I'm one of the few that didn't enjoy TLoU though, haha.

...they're completely different types of games.

Yes, very much so. Point of the post is poking fun at the poster that implied State of Decay was just a response to/copy of TLoU or Days Gone, when in fact it was know well before any of them.

adversarial

Not only was it first, it's a MUCH better Zombie/Survival game. IMO of course, but I don't think TLoU holds a candle to it as far as "surviving in a zombie apocalypse" goes.

I'm one of the few that didn't enjoy TLoU though, haha.

...they're completely different types of games.

Vengal

They mention anything about bringing back some of the more hardcore simulation from when the first game launched. I don't think i'll forget the first time I turned the game off and went away for the weekend. Came back and half my people were dead and one was probably infected. They toned that down pretty hardcore after enough people complained but it was dynamic and interesting in its own morbid way.

I don't have a problem with it not being a shared dedicated server. Its a hoop someone has to jump through to get in but it allows the host to maintain their community without having to lend a character to someone in multiplayer.

The idea of the larger human trait variety sounds good as well.

Karak

They mention anything about bringing back some of the more hardcore simulation from when the first game launched. I don't think i'll forget the first time I turned the game off and went away for the weekend. Came back and half my people were dead and one was probably infected. They toned that down pretty hardcore after enough people complained but it was dynamic and interesting in its own morbid way.

I don't have a problem with it not being a shared dedicated server. Its a hoop someone has to jump through to get in but it allows the host to maintain their community without having to lend a character to someone in multiplayer.

Nope they won't. I am working on doing an interview with them here very soon but one thing I already found out is that kind of stuff is out.

Nope they won't. I am working on doing an interview with them here very soon but one thing I already found out is that kind of stuff is out.

Good. I think that wasn't fair. you go on vacation for a week and you come back with a bunch of dead people... glad they patched it back in the days and that it's not coming back.

hopefully your interview is available soon. I can't get enough info on this game! thanks!

Theorry

From March

GameSpot: Are there any particular lessons that you took away from the first State of Decay that you were looking to improve upon?

Of those, the offline progression system was by far the most...the feature that players were most ready to see go, because the thing about State of Decay is, it's permanent.

Here's where I made the mistake or stayed out too long." The offline progression system kind of broke that, because that stuff could happen while you were logged out of the game. It violated the contract, and it didn't work well. That was probably the biggest area that we had to address.

Thank goodness the offline progression thing is out, I hated making tons of progress and feeling like I was at a good place, only to not play for a couple days and find out that one of my best characters is dead or infected and that I suddenly have no supplies.

Flintty

I saw the first one going for £6 on Xbox One. I missed it first time around. Worth it?

I shouldn't, I already have a huge backlog but I can't resist a bargain

m23

I started the first game a while back but never really progressed further than a couple hours. Just got back into this game and wow. Can't believe I missed this before. State of Decay is just amazing, extremely excited to play 2 now. This game is massive considering it came out as an xbla game.

Gestault

I think a lot of people are so used to seeing mindless zombie action games that they don't even think to listen for the gameplay systems alluded to in the trailer. I had no clue there was anything really worth looking into from the first game until I got a personal recommendation. That's a cool game. I have the re-release sitting on my shelf waiting for another playthrough.

Theorry

So ... what exactly is new here?

Besides the co-op and heaps of polish, State of Decay 2 seems like an almost perfect carbon copy of the first game and its DLC. There are dozens of new facilities to build, tons of new features to research, and thousands of new traits and skills, but at its core, State of Decay 2 doesn't seem to do anything new.

Bases are still static buildings, with specific construction plots. You still have stamina and hit points to manage, the same super zombies seem to be returning, and the same excursion, search, scavenge, and return home gameplay systems seem to be unchanged. Naturally, there will be more ways to play, but the core experience should seem extremely familiar to fans of the previous game. That could be both good and bad.
If you loved State of Decay, you're probably going to love State of Decay 2 even more. If the lack of polish, the quirky engine, and lack of multiplayer put you off from State of Decay, you'll probably appreciate State of Decay 2 a bit more. If you disliked State of Decay due to its core gameplay, however, you might not like the sequel, because it doesn't seem like a great deal has changed. That said, Undead Labs has more information to reveal, specifically with regards to multiplayer, so perhaps there's still more to learn.

As a big fan of the franchise, I'm excited to get my hands on State of Decay 2, given that it basically fixes all the problems found in the first game. Hopefully, there are still new features Undead Labs has yet to announce, because there are not a lot of surprises thus far.

https://www.windowscentral.com/state-decay-2-preview

shandy706

That was my worry, this is shaping up to be an expansion released as a sequel.

A shame, but I'll be there day one.

I wouldn't want them to change the gameplay mechanics though...that would make no sense. Sounds like they're adding some depth to the game with base building details, community management, zombie interaction, fighting mechanics, etc.

I see no "shame" in it at all.

This is like Uncharted 2 or Red Alert for me X-D. Excited to see how a game I enjoy gets polished and improved in its sequel.

As long as they're fixing the problems of the old one and adding new stuff, I don't mind if it's not so much of a revolution as it is an evolution. The original SoD was a phenomenal game and building on that base is not at all a bad thing.

m23

As long as they're fixing the problems of the old one and adding new stuff, I don't mind if it's not so much of a revolution as it is an evolution. The original SoD was a phenomenal game and building on that base is not at all a bad thing.

I agree. Just add to what was already a great game. I don't want a very different game at all.

I wpnder if that means that nothing that they wanted to add is being added. Like animals to hunt or other humans/settlements to fight/interact with on a deeper level. I wonder if gas will even make it in.

This game simply needs to be project zomboid but in a 3D world.

I'll be happy if it's relatively close to it in complexity, difficulty and customization.

But from that quote... all the issues I had with the first game seem to be still alive in this sequel. :/

Sendero

Just saw there is are several mods for the original SoD.
Any suggestions? Given how far is the sequel, I feel like replaying this one.

Put me down as also not wanting a different game, just a more dense game with more, because after a billion hours, I do need some more, finally.

goonie

Just saw there is are several mods for the original SoD.
Any suggestions? Given how far is the sequel, I feel like replaying this one.
The QMJS Extended Functions mod is great. New weapons and characters, less missions, more base customization, more zombies... It really just overhauls the whole game. Plus, I've heard voice lines I've never heard before in vanilla.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://segmentnext.com/2017/09/20/state-of-decay-2-release-date/
N802NVY.jpg

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
January 17th is on a Wednesday. Definitely don't see this happening.

Top Bottom