• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

I don't care about whether or not a game is enjoyable vs money for me saying if it's a good game
An 8.0 isn't suddenly a 9.0 at half the price.

However- I will tell people to wait on an 8.0 if it's too expensive for what you get, just on the fact that there are comparable quality games for similar prices that last you oh so much longer.
Hence why I say buy superhot at $9.50 on nuuvem and not $22.50.

I mean the fact that you're using rating numbers for lingo and such already tells me we're not gonna agree

but beyond that, idk. I don't think games are a waste of time, but I actually vastly prefer games that could feel short compared to games that suddenly go on and on without introducing anything new and going through the motions, which is most AAA titles.

what exactly is better about playing a LONG game? something like SUPERHOT feels so much valuable to me now than some of the games i've spent hundreds of hours on

I adore The Witcher 3 and all, but that's one of the very few exceptions where the world building is so good and the quests so varied (this is crucial) that I don't feel it overstays it's welcome.... even tho a particular section actually did drag, and it was a fucking bummer

but I see something like Fallout 4 and I already know what im gonna be doing for fucking 200 hours and get nothing new out of it

how is spending those 200 hours on something suddenly better because it's just long? I could be doing other shit with my actual life

you're basically appreciating something based on how much of a distraction and time consuming it is. I just don't get that mentality.

Some thoughts on rhythm gaming on PC (Harmonix)

WHY NOW?
If there’s been a perceived failure across the board with major titles, what’s going to be different now?

In my mind, the primary reason has to do with a little thing called Steam. Steam is a huge platform that has continuously grown over the years with new features to improve the community and player experience. One of these is Steam Workshop, which allows for a plethora of user generated content. Fans can reap the benefits of their dedication and talent by making and selling content for their favorite compatible games. Another important facet of this is Valve pushing for Steam to become a centerpiece of the living room experience with features like Big Picture mode.

LET’S TALK!
Now really is the perfect time for the rhythm game scene to burst onto the PC in full force. Between new advances in tech like VR, streaming, and improved pipelines for user generated content, we live in an incredibly exciting time. One of these days there’ll be something really cool that wows the community, and I can’t wait for that day to come. Are you interested in talking about what about what the future could hold? Head over to this forum post and start discussing!

Please give Rock Band PC (and not VR exclusive).

Salsa

for comparison I also find it funny when people appreciate longer running times in movies

OMG Batman V Superman is ALMOST 3 HOURS YESSS

then suddenly it has fuckin dreadful pace issues

length works in the favor of whatever type of thing you're doing and like anything else you should always play it to your strenghts

you know what's great about that SUPERHOT campaign? almost everyone who gets the game will play through it entirely, and it's something that is worth experiencing till the end.

meanwhile i've already put more hours into Endless than in the campaign and I keep unlocking stuff

so.. this argument is actually just kinda invalid. It's like complaining about the length of a Roguelike

I can't believe I'm saying this but... I agree with Salsa on this one.

Any game experience that's unique and brings something new to the table are the ones I find myself feeling like I get the best value from. A game can be short or long, cheap or expensive and it doesn't change whether or not I think it's a good game. Some games I think are too short and I wish they were longer, but others are too long and I wish they were shorter. If I play a game for 50 hours and had fun with it, it doesn't really matter to me if I paid $60 for it or $1. Obviously I'm going to consider it a better value if I got 50 hours out of $1 game, but it's not going make me like the game less if it was $60.

And while I typically play "long" games, as a general rule I try to throw in a few "short" games here and there to help break things up. Both can be great.

My perspective has been skewed because I buy cheap games religiously, but I will always value longer games (regardless of whether they're any good or not).

Seeing as it's somewhat a SteamGAF tradition if you are playing a game with user created goons and the game involves some form of permadeath you go name them all after SteamGAFfers. So here's the first batch of you up for the choppingblock...

I'll try not to do an iosefe and get you folks killed.

I didn't make the first batch?

Ouch bro.

Ozium

Salsa you keep focusing on time when the main argument is the value proposition of the product. This includes time played, but also amount of enjoyment gained, and any other number of subjective things. For example, some people are willing to pay $60 for Fallout 4, while others think that it's "just another bethesda game" so it won't be worth as much to them.

Salsa

Salsa you keep focusing on time when the main argument is the value proposition of the product. This includes time played, but also amount of enjoyment gained, and any other number of subjective things. For example, some people are willing to pay $60 for Fallout 4, while others think that it's "just another bethesda game" so it won't be worth as much to them.

well I mean by that logic it's just a subjective thing and that's what it is

im arguing an opinion and everyone's entitled to their own

I think SUPERHOT has a deserved price

believe me if the game was $10 or even $15 a lot of people would say it's a ridiculous bang for your buck with all the modes and challenges it has. so idk

Dr Dogg

I didn't make the first batch?

Ouch bro.

Sorry :(

Though if you see my post a little later I'm trying to balance things out a little. Disgaea has many unique ways of dealing with classes and relations for combo attacks that if you want to min/max things you need to plan a head accordingly. For example you only start out being able to recruit brawlers, warriors (your up front fighters), mages, skulls (your magic damage dealers) and clerics (your primary healers). But whoever recruits the unit gets a bonus to combo attacks with them when they are in an adjacent tile. So to get the best out of your troops it's good to have some balance in the abilities and utility of you unit types, wait until you can advance certain units to stronger classes (which are then unlocked to recruit) and have certain units paired with specific child units to maximise damage.

Honestly Disgaea is the most rewarding min/maxing series but a country mile. You wont see it at first but later on (waaaaay later on) it can pay dividends. Trust me, I have a plan worked out for all of SteamGAF ;)

JustinBB7

I bought Dark Souls 3 on cdkeys when it had that discount, I went to check if they had a code already since the game is up on steam now, and they ask me to give them my phonenumber before I can see the code... is that normal?

We hit some major issues with Army this afternoon. Unfortunately, it means all current saves are invalid.

But shit is fixed.

Cheaters can hold down CTRL to fast forward through shit they already read.

Also, if you're on a Mac, you might want to hold off. We'll been having reports of Mac copies sporadically not working.

It's only a matter of time until everyone's favorite waifu, Hatsune Miku, takes over the Steam spotlight.

not-like-this.gif

---

Got Stardew to work before refunding it, I had to replace a .dll called "mscoree.dll" then everything went fine.

Fucking windows.

I've bought 軒轅劍外傳穹之扉. Was curious about it since I've never played a Chinese RPG and the series is supposed to be famous.It's also the first time it's available in English. 14$ CDN isn't much either. Will probably download during the weekend. It will be fun to alternate between FE and this.
It's actually Taiwanese, seeing all the Chinese players saying it's 國產遊戲(locally-made game) in review section is really fucking weird.
I can't believe I'm saying this but... I agree with Salsa on this one.
Am I sensing a secret beef with Salsa?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Play time, shmay time.
It's value that matters.
You can't positively think that The Witness (€37) has more inherent value than Age of Decadence (€28), Might & Magic X (€25) or TIS-100 (€7)

But for many people, me included, time is a big part of the value

Haha Gabe just responded regarding the Dota Shanghai issues

https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/47sc46/update_from_the_shanghai_major/

context: they fired the host(James) today, and the production has been abysmal.

After Gabe calling him an ass I guess James fans will be angry now :p

On one hand, it's refreshingly honest when you don't need a PR filter to explain your thoughts on the matter.

On the other, people are saying that the host was the best thing about the event, and was saving it from being a total shitshow.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I prefer games that are 10-12 hours, but if you're gonna give me a 4 hour game I'm loathe to pay more than 10 bux.

I've paid 60 bucks for 12 hour games (Uncharted sez hai) and that's fine, the production value is high. Plus it's 12 hours of all killer, no filler. I'd rather play that than 30 hours of repetitive malarkey.

But if you can't get above 5 hours or so? That tells me you don't have enough "game" to make your SP experience worth it.

Games based on leaderboards and special modes are hard to judge. But a game like that, I don't think it's 30 dollars.

My RAP 4 Kai fightstick finally showed up today.

But instead of playing SF5 with it, I can't stop playing DARIUSBURST with it instead. I forgot how much better shoot-em-ups feel with a proper stick and buttons.

how is price = length?

price should be reflective of how good the game is and how much effort they put into it

game doesnt have stellar tech or anything so it's not AAA price, but it does something from a mechanics standpoint that is both hard to implement and really innovative

it's more than worth it's price, and they set it at that for a reason

the campaign is one mode

The thing is, at least judging from the other modes I played (the 11 levels of the first 6 other modes), they are just the same game again with different "rules". The same maps, same spawn-locations of the enemies.

I am not saying the game is bad. But I would feel kind of cheated if I pay 30$ for a game and then I am finished with the main mode after one and a half hour. Now you might say "But its a game you play over and over again. It has an endless mode and its a new innovative mechanic.
Doesnt change the fact, that the main mode is really really short.

yeah, the campaign in SUPERHOT is sort of like a Story Mode in fighting game. It introduces you to the characters, environments, and mechanics. And then once you're done with it, the real game begins (which is Endless in SUPERHOTs case)

It's actually Taiwanese, seeing all the Chinese players saying it's 國產遊戲(locally-made game) in review section is really fucking weird.

I was wondering why some chinese players want simplified chinese subtitles. Not with that game, but some other games that are available in traditional chinese, some chinese said they want simplified.

I dont get it. "Everyone" in China I know can read traditional chinese besides maybe 6 year old children.

Kriken

If a game's going to be short, it better be worth replaying. It's one of the reasons I love Platinum games and mission style games

Reminder.

I'm getting much more usage out of this clip than I ever imagined.
Context? What happened there?
I was wondering why some chinese players want simplified chinese subtitles. Not with that game, but some other games that are available in traditional chinese, some chinese said they want simplified.

I dont get it. "Everyone" in China I know can read traditional chinese besides maybe 6 year old children.
Reading preferences I guess. I can read simplified Chinese just fine, but there are many like me who think it's a mutilated language, ugly to look at. When traditional Chinese is unavailable, I would pick English over the simplified one.

AHA-Lambda

Haha Gabe just responded regarding the Dota Shanghai issues

https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/47sc46/update_from_the_shanghai_major/

context: they fired the host(James) today, and the production has been abysmal.

After Gabe calling him an ass I guess James fans will be angry now :p

Woah, surprising to read something like that from Gabe o_o

What's the story here exactly? I don't keep up with dota 2 at all

Reminder.

I'm getting much more usage out of this clip than I ever imagined.

LOL WHAT? XD

Reading preferences I guess. I can read simplified Chinese just fine, but there are many like me who think it's a mutilated language, ugly to look at. When traditional Chinese is unavailable, I would pick English over the simplified one.

But I mean all the popular (taiwanese) songs in the KTVs are in traditional chinese, so I wonder why people are mad that a game doesnt offer simplified chinese.

I never learnt simplified chinese but over time I could also read a lot of traditional chinese (because they are still quite similar ;))

This whole conversation about Superhot, length, quality and value perception is kinda why Ubisoft The Game, and other triple A games like it, exist.

I get why someone would be precious about pricing versus length. I haven't been buying games myself for months now, put off by 80$ average price points before taxes, but Superhot is one of the first games in a long time that actually makes me want to go buy a steam wallet card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom