• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

John

Sanjay said:
:lol You guys complaining about $30, how about £30 over here, that's like full retail price for PC games.
this is the steam thread. $10 might as well be msrp for all we know.

duffey

Zeitgeister said:
Still, playing as Kain with Lara's voice should be it's own form of entertainment.
Are they doing the whole Lara voice thing with those two? I only ask because the Kane & Lynch version actually has the K&L voices which is pretty amusing considering the swearing is bleeped out and sometimes manages to drown out what they're actually trying to say. :lol

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Shaneus said:
Right-click, properties, local files, verify game cache

:)

Doesn't work! :( That option, along with the other three, are greyed out.

I am trying to install Recettear and i cant seem to get it working.I downloaded it and started the install, the bar fills up and it gets stuck on:

creating local game cache files...
preparing Recettear for install

But the bars fill up and sit there. Help! I want to play my Recettear :( I don't see an option to delete the file anywhere on Steam.

graywolf323

JADS

Ermac said:
Doesn't work! :( That option, along with the other three, are greyed out.

I am trying to install Recettear and i cant seem to get it working.I downloaded it and started the install, the bar fills up and it gets stuck on:

creating local game cache files...
preparing Recettear for install

But the bars fill up and sit there. Help! I want to play my Recettear :( I don't see an option to delete the file anywhere on Steam.

Have you tried deleting the ClientRegistry.blob in your steam folder yet? That's usually the fix for most of my steam problems :lol

Kritz

Banned
John said:

Unless you live in Australia where the Steam MSRP is somewhere around $80usd, and if we're not happy with that, they'll just fucking region block the games.

If I ever get the chance I will throw dogs with chainsaws for teeth at the heads of Activision, 2k and Bethesda and use their screams to power the very machine that shoots lasers into the homes of their loved ones.

nexen

Kritz said:
If I ever get the chance I will throw dogs with chainsaws for teeth at the heads of Activision, 2k and Bethesda and use their screams to power the very machine that shoots lasers into the homes of their loved ones.
I quite enjoyed this mental picture. Thanks.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
John said:
$30 for a game that actually gets played is a better value than a $10 impulse buy that sits in the backlog forever.

TouchMyBox said:
It's so that you won't complain when you're not allowed to play it anymore a year from now?
?

Because they suspend my account?

Still nothing as far as an email or any messages. I would try buying a game but there's nothing I really want right now.

Mrbob

I'm might have to get the Dawn of War 2 CE from THQ just to own it. Game will register on Steam anyway. I normally don't get CEs but will for franchises I really love.

Too bad there isn't a digital CE for like $34.99. I'd like to give more money towards Relic if I could.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Kritz said:

This should be a killstreak in the next Call of Duty.

Smash88

Banned
bj00rn_ said:
Was interested buying Amnesia, but then I saw it's

7 dollars in the US store
but 15 euros in the european store

When you convert that it's almost a 300% difference (Not a lot of money per se to generate drama over, but the principle of it..).. Of course MS and its marketplace is also doing this.., but it's even worse for Valve/Steam because in the near past they actually used to give me the choice of buying in euros or dollars. They since bluntly removed that option.

Reply from Valve:

"Thank you for contacting Steam Support. Prices in the Steam Store are set on a region by region basis. The price and currency displayed are the set prices for those games based on your location. We are always working with publishers to adjust prices to be in line with what can be found at local retailers and online shops."

Yeah, you are working hard screwing your european customers, that's what you're doing..

You also do know it's the Publisher's that choose the pricing for games in different regions and not Steam/Valve?

Catshade

Smash88 said:
You also do know it's the Publisher's that choose the pricing for games in different regions and not Steam/Valve?

Glad to know that all those regional differentiating bullshit is publisher's fault, not Valve's...ohwait-

YtPIm.png

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
JADS said:
Have you tried deleting the ClientRegistry.blob in your steam folder yet? That's usually the fix for most of my steam problems :lol

thank you based god!

Mrbob

Mrbob said:
I'm might have to get the Dawn of War 2 CE from THQ just to own it. Game will register on Steam anyway. I normally don't get CEs but will for franchises I really love.

Too bad there isn't a digital CE for like $34.99. I'd like to give more money towards Relic if I could.

Nevermind! The shipping charges are outrageous at the THQ website. 5 to 9 day shipping is like 6 bucks. Overnight is 23! :lol I'll just get one of the bundles on Steam. Can't wait any extra time to play this game.

Flunkie

Banned
I picked up Bully in the Holiday Sale, and I'm having some 360 controller issues. Anyone know how to fix them? I've already googled it to death.

When I push all the way forward on the stick, I walk, but if I go a tick to the left or right, I run like normal. Any fixes for this shit? It's really annoying.

mrgone

Flunkie said:
I picked up Bully in the Holiday Sale, and I'm having some 360 controller issues. Anyone know how to fix them? I've already googled it to death.

When I push all the way forward on the stick, I walk, but if I go a tick to the left or right, I run like normal. Any fixes for this shit? It's really annoying.
I seem to recall having this exact issue on the 360 version of the game :(

John

Flunkie said:

i had this on some n64 controllers. in that case it meant that my controllers' analog sticks were stretched in the perfect north direction from running straight for so many years.

Q8D3vil said:
dow2 expansion day one.
played chaos rising for more than 150 hour thanks to the amazing MP.

No discount for a pre-order sucks like hell. I bet there'll be better deals in stores..

BioHazard said:
Blacklight Tango Down is 50% off now, not sure if it's the weekend sale or what
I bought it in the 80msp deal and it's really not worth it, I don't think there is even a small community on it after this short time it's been out.

Lettuce

Catshade said:
Rockstar just freed them from the shackles of region restrictions.

Did some regions have a cut down version then, i bought both this and the 2nd game in the sale for £4 each, marked as EU version

Mrbob

I hope there is some more The Last Stand maps!

tahrikmili said:
No discount for a pre-order sucks like hell. I bet there'll be better deals in stores..

You can save a dollar at amazon, but this is about it. Love me some Dow2, and I have well over 100 hours into the main game and first expansion. I'll get Retribution and probably buy all the DLC packs just to support Relic, whether I want the content or not. I have had my moneys worth and then some already.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Mrbob said:
Nevermind! The shipping charges are outrageous at the THQ website. 5 to 9 day shipping is like 6 bucks. Overnight is 23! :lol I'll just get one of the bundles on Steam. Can't wait any extra time to play this game.
Ah man, to hell with that.

And I'm mad the Ork Pack has no DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA.

And I'm mad they didn't bring back Gorgutz 'Ead 'Unter as the Warboss.

classicdms

Neo Member
So, just like everyone else here, I picked up a shitton of games off the sale . . .

But I can't seem to want to play anything other than TF2. I finally taught myself to be a competent Spy. Stabbing dudes in the back feels so good and I've learned a hatred for every goddamn Pyro in existence.

It's not like the games new to me. I've clocked like 140+ hours in it. When will my desire to play new games return?

Rufus

classicdms said:
When will my desire to play new games return?
Do you want us to read that out of the lines on your palms, or what? :lol Why did you buy game x? Because you were interested in it, so go play, see what it's like.

duffey said:
Are they doing the whole Lara voice thing with those two? I only ask because the Kane & Lynch version actually has the K&L voices which is pretty amusing considering the swearing is bleeped out and sometimes manages to drown out what they're actually trying to say. :lol

I have to admit that, once again, I simply assumed so before actually checking for older topics. It does have voice acting, as far as the XBL version goes.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=414573&page=3

Hmm, Homefront prepurchase is up.

I think I'm probably pretty excited for this game.

Did THQ ever confirm if it's using steamworks? I'm really not interested if it's GFWL or if it uses broken-ass punkbuster.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TouchMyBox said:

I am too, I just really want them to confirm it's Steamworks. The campaign looks really interesting from the trailers though.

K.Jack

I sent an email to THQ, inquiring into whether we can buy Retribution CE unlock codes online.

I'll post the response I receive.

markot

Banned
I dont get EAs relationship with Steam >.>

Do they want to create competition? Do they want to try and force a better deal from Valve? What up!?

markot said:
I dont get EAs relationship with Steam >.>

Do they want to create competition? Do they want to try and force a better deal from Valve? What up!?

Most likely force competition. Get people who want the product so bad thinking it won't be on Steam so they buy elsewhere.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
LovingSteam said:
Most likely force competition. Get people who want the product so bad thinking it won't be on Steam so they buy elsewhere.

Definitely. The Sims 3 is still not on Steam. It's probably the one game that they can use to bully Steam around (unless The Sims isn't a top selling PC franchise anymore).

Flunkie said:

Nope it's just stupid like that, you have to hold down the A button to run forward.

I honestly don't remember the 360 version being like that, but its been a couple years so I could be wrong.

Mrbob

LovingSteam said:
LOL @ EA!!! Guess what just showed up on the registry: Dragon Age II Signature Edition preorder.

The Bioware Dragon Age 2 forums have been lit up recently over the issue of no Dragon Age 2 pre order on Steam. One of the Bioware reps said the Signature Edition wouldn't even be on Steam, so it is crazy it is in the registry. Perhaps EA realized they shouldn't be a jerk towards the biggest online digital store? All these publishers are mad they were late to the digital party and can't control everything. Too bad for them and do what is right for the customer at this point!

K.Jack

LovingSteam said:
LOL @ EA!!! Guess what just showed up on the registry: Dragon Age II Signature Edition preorder.
Are they trolling me?

If I wait past the 11th, and it never shows up, I'll be pissed.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Mrbob said:
The Bioware Dragon Age 2 forums have been lit up recently over the issue of no Dragon Age 2 pre order on Steam. One of the Bioware reps said the Signature Edition wouldn't even be on Steam, so it is crazy it is in the registry. Perhaps EA realized they shouldn't be a jerk towards the biggest online digital store? All these publishers are mad they were late to the digital party and can't control everything. Too bad for them and do what is right for the customer at this point!

Or EA gets a bigger cut from Impulse or whomever.

I dunno, I look at it like when the music labels decided to give Amazon DRM-free music exclusivity for a while before letting Apple have it as well. It's good to have competition - both as a consumer, where you can by 3 dollar albums, and as a content producer, where your cut isn't dictated by a monopoly.

And I say this as the asshole who spends hundreds of dollars on Steam but refuses to make a GG account. :lol

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
TouchMyBox said:

The combat looks cool but I don't think I can get past the worst premise in gaming history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom