• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2017 - Toot toot, Cold Steel Warrior, shaka brah

Status
Not open for further replies.

preta

Tits (o)(o) are never over .... but if you mean Liberl Arc it is.
Crosbell Arc (Ao + Zero)still needs english translation.
Erebonia Arc (Cold Steel) i bet will go full steam ahead now with 1st releasing and 2nd planned for 2017 ... wouldnt be surprised if 3rd one happens Day 1 of western release

To clarify, Cold Steel 1 and 2 have already been localized, they just haven't been on Steam (or PC at all) previously.

It's fairly likely that Cold Steel 3 will get a same-day PC port when it's localized, seeing as how Falcom seems to be pushing harder for localizers to do that with their PS4 games (see Tokyo Xanadu eX+ and Ys VIII).

Echoplx

I don't understand the rush on the side of micro transaction for Battlegrounds. The game is selling like hotcakes, why this huge push towards the crate with 3-4 new crates available each update?
I mean, I understand that the reason is money...but damn, the revenue on the copies sold is already huge. They are taking so much risk because of the backlash that is beyond me

It's made by a Korean MMO company. This was inevitable and it will only get worse.

The Partisan cover is godlike.

But I'll go even further, the latest Wolfenstein games are better than Doom.

tenor.gif

Ascheroth

To clarify, Cold Steel 1 and 2 have already been localized, they just haven't been on Steam (or PC at all) previously.

It's fairly likely that Cold Steel 3 will get a same-day PC port when it's localized, seeing as how Falcom seems to be pushing harder for localizers to do that with their PS4 games (see Tokyo Xanadu eX+ and Ys VIII).
Hopefully. But yeah, it's rather likely and worst case is probably a couple weeks later at most.

preta

Hopefully. But yeah, it's rather likely and worst case is probably a couple weeks later at most.

I'm more worried about whether XSEED will even secure the rights. It's been made abundantly clear that Falcom themselves have absolutely no idea what goes into a good localization, and they didn't see any issue with giving Ys to NISA after six games done by XSEED.

Ascheroth

I'm more worried about whether XSEED will even secure the rights. It's been made abundantly clear that Falcom themselves have absolutely no idea what goes into a good localization, and they didn't see any issue with giving Ys to NISA after six games done by XSEED.
Well, NISA just gave Falcom a way better offer than Xseed. (pretty certain we wouldn't get a day-1 PC port for that game from Xseed).
And Tokyo Xanadu got to Aksys because Xseed passed on the game... which is a very weird decision, but I dunno.

But there's no way Cold Steel 3 won't be from Xseed, that would be stupid.

preta

Well, NISA just gave Falcom a way better offer than Xseed. (pretty certain we wouldn't get a day-1 PC port for that game from Xseed).
And Tokyo Xanadu got to Aksys because Xseed passed on the game... which is a very weird decision, but I dunno.

But there's no way Cold Steel 3 won't be from Xseed, that would be stupid.

My point is that if NISA were to try to get CS3 by offering stuff again that XSEED couldn't match, Falcom wouldn't refuse on the principle of keeping the localizations consistent. They've admitted that they don't understand what makes a good localization.

It would certainly be stupid but I don't think it's impossible.

Deques

My point is that if NISA were to try to get CS3 by offering stuff again that XSEED couldn't match, Falcom wouldn't refuse on the principle of keeping the localizations consistent. They've admitted that they don't understand what makes a good localization.

It would certainly be stupid but I don't think it's impossible.
I wouldn't worry if xseed has signed the rights for all Cold Steel games

Unless Falcom becomes douche bags and breaks the contract and go with NISA

I wouldn't worry if xseed has signed the rights for all Cold Steel games

Unless Falcom becomes douche bags and breaks the contract and go with NISA
Depends ultimately on how binding XSEED's licensing of Cold Steel has been so far. They might still have an advantage over NISA just because XSEED's had to demonstrate more effort with Trails releases than Ys, but they still need to do a larger proposal than normal just in case. NISA has the brawn XSEED's never had, and now Falcom wants to expand big into Western markets. It's a shame Kondo (and, presumably, his precursor Masayuki Kato) don't care about the quality of license localizations, even when they have more good options to choose from (vs. having to rely on SIE Japan for Chinese/Korean translations).

Anyway, we have this cool Cold Steel PC footage to enjoy now, and we can worry about this later.

Can mods change thread title to usual format? I mean to "STEAM | August 2017 - Toot toot, Cold Steel Warrior, Shaka Brah"? I keep missing this thread visually in community tab

Monooboe

I always have SteamGAF as the first pinned tab in my browser, so SteamGAF is pretty much the only constant in my life.XD

How is Homefront 1?

Lol, had that conversatoin earlier in the thread. My quick take on it was:

Played it just this weekend. Really wasn't a fan. Gunplay felt rubbish and I hated that the ADS was a toggle (presumably you can change that but I couldn't find it in the mass of options). Thankfully it was very short.

To expand on that, the controls felt jerky no matter what I changed the settings to (probably would have been better if I went with m+kb instead of the pad), it seemed to rely on sending waves at you until you done an objective/reached a certain spot, which is a design choice I really don't like, some annoying AI, especially during a stealth mission where I was getting spotted despite sitting right next to guy I had to follow. Basically I just didn't find it much fun.

The brand tie-ins were amusing though. I'll never forget the battle of Hooters and Tiger Direct.

It does have a 70 on metacritic so clearly not everyone was as put off as me, and apparently the multiplayer's good but I never tried and have no idea if it's possible to get into a game anymore.

I don't understand the rush on the side of micro transaction for Battlegrounds. The game is selling like hotcakes, why this huge push towards the crate with 3-4 new crates available each update?
I mean, I understand that the reason is money...but damn, the revenue on the copies sold is already huge. They are taking so much risk because of the backlash that is beyond me

I don't think there's any risk at all. Pragmatically speaking, the number of players who would would actually quit over this crate system being introduced would be replaced within a day of sales. More generally, and for better or worse, the core gaming community has reached the point where it is okay with microtransactions existing in games as long as they are not disruptive to the actual gameplay. The pendulum has swung so far that these days the best we can hope for is that microtransactions don't provide paying customers any advantage over those who don't. Which is true in this particular case. The items available in the crates are cosmetic clothes to wear while you play the game and they provide no benefit to the wearer. I think the game is too popular and the implementation too benign for this to cause any significant damage to the image of the game.

That said, the developer is cognizant of the fact that the news has not been received well in some parts of the community. He posted an update today explaining it a bit more. The TL:DR version is that the microtransaction/crate system was always going to be a part of the final release and the crates they are introducing now are to test the implementation for the full game. And he promises to be better a communicating with and taking feedback from the community going forward. I guess it's up to you to decide whether to believe him or not.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
the "season 1" tag worries me. The game is already expensive as it is. If future "seasons" are just free updates thats fine, if its DLC... thats not so fine.

edit: it seems you dont even get the whole thing from the start

WINTERMUTE
The episodic story-mode for The Long Dark, WINTERMUTE launches with two of the five episodes that form its Season One.

In Episode One: ”Do Not Go Gentle", bush pilot Will Mackenzie (player character) and Dr. Astrid Greenwood are separated after their plane crashes deep in the Northern Canadian wilderness in the aftermath of a mysterious flash of light in the sky. Struggling to survive as he desperately searches for Astrid, Mackenzie comes across the small town of Milton, where he begins to understand the scope of this quiet apocalypse.

In Episode Two: ”Luminance Fugue", Mackenzie's search for Astrid takes him deeper into the savage Winter wilderness. A mysterious trapper may be the key to finding Astrid, but can he be trusted?

The first two episodes of WINTERMUTE represent approximately 15 hours of gameplay. Episodes Three to Five are included in the price of the game, and will be unlocked for free as they are released.

Features performances by Jennifer Hale, Mark Meer, David Hayter, and Elias Toufexis (Episode Three), and the music of Cris Velasco.

Not really.

opinions, how do they work?

or if you prefer, "value is relative to how much or how little money you have"

Aaron D.

the "season 1" tag worries me. The game is already expensive as it is. If future "seasons" are just free updates thats fine, if its DLC... thats not so fine.

I feel like if you get a "full game" out of Season One (10-15 hours, full story arc), then it's worth the price. Comparable to any genre peer.

The model reminds me a lot of Telltale's Walking Dead series. Each season is a self-contained vignette in a universe large enough to tell several unique story-lines. If Hinterland can deliver on Ep. 1-5 of Wintermute, I'll be happy to pay for Season 2.

Honestly with the size & scope of Survival mode alone, the $35 price tag seems like a steal. The sandbox mode is choked with content. I believe at current count there's 9 unique maps that are seamlessly interconnected (I think the dev said 50 sq. km.?). Survival mode of an by itself has enough content to be a standalone game. Story mode is just icing on the cake.

Nilua

I mean, I agree that The Long Dark is expensive, but that's if you are looking at it as a episodic adventure game (and that's what I'm interested). But the game, as I understand, is also a very robust and well-liked survival game and was that way even without the story content. That's not for everyone, but I think it adds some value to the product.

Amzin

I don't think there's any risk at all. Pragmatically speaking, the number of players who would would actually quit over this crate system being introduced would be replaced within a day of sales. More generally, and for better or worse, the core gaming community has reached the point where it is okay with microtransactions existing in games as long as they are not disruptive to the actual gameplay. The pendulum has swung so far that these days the best we can hope for is that microtransactions don't provide paying customers any advantage over those who don't. Which is true in this particular case. The items available in the crates are cosmetic clothes to wear while you play the game and they provide no benefit to the wearer. I think the game is too popular and the implementation too benign for this to cause any significant damage to the image of the game.

That said, the developer is cognizant of the fact that the news has not been received well in some parts of the community. He posted an update today explaining it a bit more. The TL:DR version is that the microtransaction/crate system was always going to be a part of the final release and the crates they are introducing now are to test the implementation for the full game. And he promises to be better a communicating with and taking feedback from the community going forward. I guess it's up to you to decide whether to believe him or not.

The concept of microtransactions isn't really the issue, the issue with PUBG is all the specifics about it:

• Replicating the least consumer friendly version of micro transactions that are currently legal
  • Getting a single random piece of a random outfit (this could include shoes, ffs) with no dupe protection or alternative way of acquiring pieces
  • Implementing MT in Early Access to "test" it with no acknowledgement that this goes against their stated policy to not introduce MT in Early Access
  • Already had churned up a bunch of negative community feedback over the past weeks because of seemingly arbitrary and power hungry admin behaviors towards players

There's a LOT of better models to emulate than the CS:GO one (which faced legal trouble in the past IIRC), and managing to make a more greedy version of that system is just... it's kind of obviously a greed powered play. I know the TERA company is the publisher for PUBG but the PUBG dev team is their own thing as far as I know so this is 100% their decision.

I don't have any issues at all with cosmetic micro transactions (I buy them in just about every game I play that has them), but I seriously dislike the choices and mentality displayed by the PUBG team lately, especially contrasted with a couple months ago. It's really hard to not just see it as the $$ taking over, despite being many times more successful than they ever expected already.

ArjanN

opinions, how do they work?

or if you prefer, "value is relative to how much or how little money you have"

Sure, I just don't think the game is expensive for what you get compared to other games on Steam.

Hell, it was 10 bucks cheaper even if you got in when it was a kickstarter.

What kind of game is The Long Dark anyway? Open world multiplayer survival?

It's singleplayer. There's also no hordes of zombies/monsters like in a lot of these games, which gives it a bit of a different feel.

Grief.exe

What kind of game is The Long Dark anyway? Open world multiplayer survival?

No multiplayer, but you're dropped into an open world and have to try to piece together what happened and your survival.

It's really good with a lot of different methods for survival.

Sarcasm

Scratch that!

Thought I only got two and would have to buy more, which means waiting a long time....

Turns out I get all.

So you got Seasons with 5 episodes each.

Wonder how many total seasons. 2? We most likely have to buy season 2 I am assuming.

Aaron D.

Wait you only get one episode? Did they say it was like 4 hours long.

Dev's Twitter says:

Ep. 1: 6-7 hrs. (critical path through), 10 hrs. to complete

Ep. 2: 10-12 hrs. (critical), 17-18 hrs. to complete

YMMV

It's a longish Tweet, but it's worth reading (re: layering narrative flow on top of a sandbox foundation).

vermadas

Hate when people post PSBlog news/links about multi-plats and ignore the other platforms. Didn't know what Runic was up to. Hob is coming September 26, and looks really good:
https://youtu.be/GuzDwofL4yY

From Runic's site:
Whether you play Hob on PC or PS4, we have a bonus for you when you pre-order now: 10% off the price of $19.99! We're also launching the Runic Games Collection on Steam and GOG today. Take advantage between now and September 26th to get Hob, Torchlight, and Torchlight II at a heavily discounted price of $24.99.

Teggy

I really hope Agents of Mayhem is good but I don't have much confidence right now. Will be sad if the SR universe just peters out.

I think a cool thing they could do is have Johnny's wish at the end of Gat out of Hell to basically reboot the SR universe and start over with a real next gen SR with a crazy story about the rise of the Saints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom