• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam axes submission process, ALL new pubs/devs must go through Steam Greenlight.

Uthred

I do not see a single year with no release. Blizzard on the other hand release 3 games and simply make add on on those games.

This is a hilarious criticism given that a substantial portion of your list is basically add-ons, for example whats the substantive difference between say Burning Crusade and HL2:Ep1?

Salsa

I'm betting 2 to 1 that you were not a PC gamer in 2008 or earlier.

Ive been gaming on PC since I was 6 years old, and the market has never been as good as it is now thanks to Steam

saying that Steam "saved" the PC market making every single developer want to jump on it and develop on PC when retail was completely dead is basically a fact. I dont get your point

Salsa

Idk Salsa, back when I was a kid devs released a third of their game as a demo and it was dope.

well sure, but I mean from a pure market standpoint. Steam changed the game on sales.

To be fair the PC certainly thrived at a certain point, but I really dont think it reached this level

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Steam has yet to match the feeling of passing a floppy to a bro.

That was real indie gaming.

Now you have the internet and a million tools to pimp your games. It's like cheats.

Idk Salsa, back when I was a kid devs released a third of their game as a demo and it was dope.

back when I was a teenager and in my early twenties it was the consoles that were the after thought when it came to ports, and numerous PC games pushed my graphics card to their maximum squeezing every brand new capability out of them that they could.

this gen has been a lot better than the late PS2 gen, yes, but I don't think it's a new golden age just yet.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
If my math is right, and using some of the stat tracking stuff we had before Valve trimmed it down, you need at least 40,000-60,000 votes to make it into the top 100, and 60,000+ to get towards the top.

Hooray. :\

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
If my math is right, and using some of the stat tracking stuff we had before Valve trimmed it down, you need at least 40,000-60,000 votes to make it into the top 100, and 60,000+ to get towards the top.

Hooray. :\

I voted for you bro.

My tastes should make my votes count for 30,000+ votes.

Hari Seldon

I wouldn't have a problem with this if greenlight wasn't such a clusterfuck. They need to iron out the kinks in greenlight before doing this imo. Am I voting on complete games or am I voting on a promise of future awesomeness that may never happen? Also way too much stuff on there. They need some level of moderation to get on greenlight.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Which comes to the crux of my point:

Valve of late has been working on framework. Past L4D1 and portal 2, most of the game is already there, and the orange box was just a mesh of existing work used to bring in a huge number of people to steam. But past that, more importantly on actual games?

Ubisoft Montreal is harder working. Bioware....is harder working.

Basically what I'm saying is: stop this shit and make more games please. I don't care or personally benefit from anything released by valve in the past few years that was not a game.
Basically... Whine, they aren't making what I want.

I'd say the improvement to Steam, the facilitation of the network, tools, and effort they put into it. Not just for their own games, but also other developers that benefit from it. Have helped you far more than any game they've released in years.

Interfectum

Valve of late has been working on framework. Past L4D1 and portal 2, most of the game is already there, and the orange box was just a mesh of existing work used to bring in a huge number of people to steam. But past that, more importantly on actual games?

Basically what I'm saying is: stop this shit and make more games please. I don't care or personally benefit from anything released by valve in the past few years that was not a game.

You should be embarrassed by this post. People like you and szaromir make Valve threads unbearable with your uninformed trolling.

Is Valve perfect? No but it's hard to have an actual discussion with ignorant posters such as yourself throwing your constant bullshit in here.

DTKT

This is such a dumb post. PC gaming would not exist without Steam.

Lancehead

Ive been gaming on PC since I was 6 years old, and the market has never been as good as it is now thanks to Steam

saying that Steam "saved" the PC market making every single developer want to jump on it and develop on PC when retail was completely dead is basically a fact. I dont get your point

Well, you could be 10 years old or younger. :p

FyreWulff

PC gaming in North America was in pretty dire straits before Steam caught traction.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/07/05/could-pc-gaming-make-a-comeback/

Times could be changing again, however. According to industry analyst NPD Group, sales of video-game hardware -- a.k.a consoles -- software and even accessories fell for a sixth consecutive month in May, tumbling 28% from a year earlier to $517 million. And with the release of Blizzard's (ATVI) Diablo III, May also saw the first time since July 2010 that the top-selling game was a PC-only title. That boosted PC video games sales up year-over-year to 230% or $80 million.

While the top-selling games are now dominated by multi platform titles available for the consoles and PC, the shift has been increasingly away from the PC completely.

PC gaming is still in a rut and the only PC-only game to crack #1 in over two years was a non-Steam game.

PC gaming in North America was in pretty dire straits before Steam caught traction.

Aye, were it not for Steam I wouldn't have been too surprised if it died out in North America entirely. As it is, the PC is in ascendancy again, and probably have gotten too big to ignore like nearly every development studio based in the US did around the start of this console generation.

DTKT

How could it even exist in the same way? Would it be as big? Valve is building a framework because that's how you move forward and how you don't get left behind.

Using NPD as a determinant for PC gaming is a fool's errand because guess what NPD does not take into account?

Steam.

Or indeed any of the digital distribution services. They're going to either change that or abandon releasing public video games charts within the next five years. Come to think of that, ditto music and films.

If not for the level of comfort with the notion of digital distribution that Steam cultivated effectively on its own, can anyone honestly say that Minecraft, GOG, etc. would have been remotely possible?

DD would exist even without Steam. The market would be more fragmented, but it would still exist.

No, Valve. Greenlight for established developers is stupid.
It's good for indie developers because unknown games will get the spotlight they deserve.
Big publishers have the finances to sell their games, even when their games aren't on Steam.
Indie devs don't.

Tacitus_

How could it even exist in the same way? Would it be as big? Valve is building a framework because that's how you move forward and how you don't get left behind.

It would be undead in the US, but retail is still healthy in Europe. Fuck, my local game store even has used PC games!

Salsa

No, Valve. Greenlight for established developers is stupid.
It's good for indie developers because unknown games will get the spotlight they deserve.
Big publishers have the finances to sell their games, even when their games aren't on Steam.
Indie devs don't.

read the thread

hell just read the title and OP

kswiston

If not for the level of comfort with the notion of digital distribution that Steam cultivated effectively on its own, can anyone honestly say that Minecraft, GOG, etc. would have been remotely possible?

Other digital stores existed around the same time that Steam started selling third party titles. Direct2Drive for instance. Steam was by far the best of these stores, and therefore gained traction, but I imagine that someone else would have filled that niche if Valve didn't enter the digital distribution market. We can argue whether Digital Distribution would have caught on as quickly as it among core gamers (casual gamers were already playing and buying games online) without Steam, but all the signs were pointing towards digital distribution in the mid 2000s, so it is ridiculous to suggest that Minecraft, GOG, etc would be impossible without Steam. Hell, if Blizzard had properly leveraged their Online infrastructure set up for WoW (and later Battle.net) to sell third party games as well in the mid-2000s, they could have been Steam. No idea why they let that boat sail.

wutwutwut

Note that very few games on win8 are going to get xbox live branding and access to its features, so it's better to not bring that in.

Take a look at a game like The Pinball Arcade or Pinball FX2. Both are games with a 'sell more tables as DLC' business model. Both are games that really require leaderboards, and both are games that benefit from achievements of some kind.

Not only does Steam offer a platform that supports all of these things but they provide you with an SDK that makes including all of those things in your game much easier than if you shipped on most other services where you'd have to build a lot of those systems by yourself.

The costs of developing a game like Pinball FX2 to be released on GOG vs Steam are higher, and sales are going to be lower. I don't know how realistic it is for a small developer to write their own DRM system and build their own digital store to support DLC, but that cost was obviously prohibitive enough to prevent The Pinball Arcade and Pinball FX2 from releasing on those other stores (especially considering the reduced sales they'd have).

Pinball FX2 eventually went with Xbox Live for Windows 8 as their leaderboard / achievement / DRM system. TPA and other games may go the same route if Valve keep passing on quality titles like that.

This is exactly why our game doesn't have it's own Leaderboard support. Because had it been picked up for Steam we would have wasted two extra months of Dev and around $7000 developing throw away code instead of a couple weeks an integrating Steamworks.

kuroshiki

This is exactly what this thread is about. You figured it all out, congrats.

theylive_obey.jpg

This is exactly why our game doesn't have it's own Leaderboard support. Because had it been picked up for Steam we would have wasted two extra months of Dev and around $7000 developing throw away code instead of a couple weeks an integrating Steamworks.

right. which leads me to this proposition:

Valve would rather a game didn't exist on PC if it's not on Steam.

Is that statement true? I'm not particularly confident in the likelihood of it being true being particularly high, but I do not feel confident enough to say it definitely isn't true. Valve aren't a monopoly, but they sure act like they want to be one.

which, again, is why it's good that anything scares them, because a scared Valve is probably going to make something better and more consumer friendly. what's better for Valve if they feel Windows 8 is evil?

driving quality games to the Windows 8 store, or releasing those games on Steam even if they personally don't find them 'a good fit for the service'?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Steam has added 12 indie games since November 1st (I'm not counting Postal 2). That is a rate of almost 1 per day.

What would be a suitable rate? There is a finite amount of spotlight here.

sflufan

Banned
right. which leads me to this proposition:

Valve would rather a game didn't exist on PC if it's not on Steam.

Is that statement true? I'm not particularly confident in the likelihood of it being true being particularly high, but I do not feel confident enough to say it definitely isn't true. Valve aren't a monopoly, but they sure act like they want to be one.

Considering that Valve encourages developers in the Greenlight FAQ to get their games on as many digital distribution platforms as possible, make of that what you will.

Steam has added 12 indie games since November 1st (I'm not counting Postal 2). That is a rate of almost 1 per day.

I don't really care about the rate. I care about the quality titles they have previously denied entry through the old submission method and which haven't been able to clear Greenlight yet. When finished games we know are good for a fact (due to positive receptions on other platforms) aren't being held off the service, then I'm happy.

but sure, release Postal 2. give big publishers free reign to release whatever crap they want (like 007 Legends which is an awful game with an even more awful PC port). no problems here. nothing to see.

Considering that Valve encourages developers in the Greenlight FAQ to get their games on as many digital distribution platforms as possible, make of that what you will.

Steamworks discourages developers from doing this though, as previously mentioned. I don't think an answer in an FAQ counteracts thousands of dollars and man hours.

kswiston

I think the rate in which they are releasing indie and small publisher titles is good, as long as we are getting a variety of genres. Some people would like to see Steam completely open up, but then we will hear Indie Devs bitching about negligible sales on anything that is not featured on the front page (as is the case with iOS games).

Steamworks discourages developers from doing this though, as previously mentioned. I don't think an answer in an FAQ counteracts thousands of dollars and man hours.

Unless I'm totally misconstruing your argument here, are you arguing that the service Valve's provide is too good? That they should scale down some of the massive advantages a game gets from being integrated with Steamworks?

vidcons

Banned

26 games have passed the Greenlight voting process, 5 have been released since August 30, 2012.

Top Bottom