• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller overview and videos/impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think soon I'm going to ask for this thread to get locked. Please start moving over to Nzyme's thread. Don't need this discussion to be splintered.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1125470

Edit3: if you want to check the status of your order click on "View Account Details", then click on "View Purchase History" and find the steam controller and click on "View Shipment Details". It should have a tracking number there.

People have also been getting mails saying their orders have shipped and have a tracking link, but for the majority it's just the label created, the items aren't moving.

Edit2: Valve started putting up Steam Controller Support pages: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_cat.php?id=107

Edit: some people are saying they got an update the controller is arriving for them by the 10th or 13th. Nzyme isn't planning to put up the OT till the 15th, so look out for impressions in this thread till then or someone will put up their own impressions thread, if they truly arrive on those dates.

--

Krejlooc now has the controller and he's been very active, so search his posts
trialbygame has it too
and BriareosGAF
and Firehead

Videos:

Trial by Games' channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/TrialByGame/videos?view=0&shelf_id=16&sort=dd

Woodsie's channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDarkAlly/videos

8BitCerberus' twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/8bitcerberus/profile
his YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg7lJ5KURwEMnQdbe-cMbAQ

Krejlooc's twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/krejlooc/profile

Fuck that took a long time lol, here's the video of the mapping change:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z8Kt7hryCI

We'll be starting the stream in about 30 minutes.

---

The current most active SC thread has an OP with only the trailer and lot has been discussed since it went up and lots of questions get repeated over and over and that got tiresome, so this thread is an overview for those people who still have questions. Devs have been receiving it these last months, but there ar no detailed impressions from them. There will be an OT for the controller, Nzyme will put it up Oct 15 before they ship for the "early birds".

But first a small bit about Link

Store page (includes description and specs)
HW specs

Overview

• 1080p resolution at 60 FPS
  • Wired 100 Mbit/s Fast Ethernet and Wireless 802.11ac 2x2 (MIMO) networking abilities
  • 3 USB 2.0 ports
  • Internal Wireless Steam Controller pairing capability
  • Bluetooth 4.0
  • HDMI out
  • Supports Steam Controller (sold separately,) Xbox One or 360 Wired Controller, Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows, Logitech Wireless Gamepad F710, or keyboard and mouse
In-box

• Steam Link
  • Power cable and adapter
  • HDMI 2.0 cable
  • Ethernet cable

Requirements

• A host computer running SteamOS, or Steam Big Picture Mode on Windows Vista or newer, Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) or newer, Linux Ubuntu 12.04 or newer.
  • A TV or display capable of running at 720p or 1080p resolution
  • Any of the input devices listed above
  • Home network connectivity to both Steam Link and host computer.Wired network strongly recommended.

And a Valve devs post on reddit:

For legal purposes and to help with approvals from regulatory agencies, we have to lock it down pretty tight; we do not support any kind of modding or custom software/firmware. It's best to think of it as a purpose-built streaming client, as opposed to a device with specific hardware specs. But if you're just curious, it's a smartphone-like ARMv7 processor with dedicated h.264 video decoding circuitry, running a custom Linux kernel and a Valve-developed software stack.

Otherwise we don't know much else. When journos tried it out at GDC it was all wired. Valve themselves recommend wired on the store page. If you're curious about streaming itself there's a thread for Steam In-Home Streaming. You can stream non-Steam games or applications too, just add them to Steam. People were also able to stream their desktops. While streaming the hosts gets locked though, so you can't do anything else on it while you stream.

The controller

Store page (includes trailer, description, specs)

HW specs

Overview

• Dual trackpads
  • HD haptics
  • Analog stick
  • Dual-stage triggers, each with 10° of travel, a magnetic flux sensor, and a tactile switch
  • Gyroscope and accelerometer sensors enabling tilt-to-steer racing wheel functionality and other motion-controlled input
  • Configurable controls
  • Local multiplayer capability, as supported by games
  • Wired or wireless (dual mode)
  • USB 2.0 via Micro USB port (cable not included)
  • Estimated 5 meters of wireless communications range. Actual results may vary.
  • Provides up to 80 hours of standard game play using the included AA batteries during preliminary testing. Battery life will vary based on usage and other factors, such as type of batteries used. Actual results may vary.

In-box

• Steam Controller
  • 2 AA batteries
  • USB wireless pairing dongle

Requirements

• A Steam Machine or other computer capable of running Steam Big Picture Mode, in order to view, edit, save, and share Steam Controller mappings.

So, it will work on Windows, Mac and Linux. Without Steam it's like a mouse and keyboard, if you want to configure it you'll need Steam with BPM. With non-Steam games just add them to Steam. People will be able to configure their bindings for games, upload it to Steam and eventually the most popular bindigs will come out from that. Devs will also able to config their games with the controller's own API, if they want to.

A recent video with Robin Walker: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8lulsNbZ_E

Krejlooc's posts. It's big, I won't quote it, just read it. He's also been active in the thread a linked in the very first sentence, so you can search his posts there. Edit: Since then he also started posting a lot here too, so check those posts out too. And seems he will get the current model, so look out for his review:

Looks like I might be getting a final version of the steam controller shortly, when it arrives i'll be sure to put it through the paces and write a detailed review

Everything you need to know about the Steam Controller blog post by a tester who had the first version and Valve sent him to new one. Again, it's big, just read it. Has pics and videos and he answers some questions in the comments.

The controller with the dongle:

CNRgQQ6UcAEeFAd.jpg

regarding its size:

@JM_Jemoni @DorisCarrascosa I like it a lot, and it's incredibly customisable. The controller is too big for Doris' tiny hands though.

@Supernorn @JM_Jemoni i can't really reach the X button (x

CMSlgjxW8AAmjsL.jpg

https://twitter.com/DorisCarrascosa/status/631811843196063744

@Fenrakk101 its slightly larger than an xbox 360 controller, the grips are a lot thicker

https://twitter.com/tylerglaiel/status/639183733652721664

Trigger settings (you'll find other settings pics in previous links)

You'll be able to toggle between the new keyboard layout and the old daisy wheel, if you want to (maybe you already can, I don't use them, haven't checked.)

I think that's all, what's important.

(Here's my old thread for the old model, which has lots vids, though at this point it's basically outdated. And here's Valve's video from Steam Dev Days January 2014 for those who have yet to see it. For ex they explain they explain they replaced the built-in pack with AAs because the touchscreen got removed.)

Tenebrous

Can you charge the Steam Controller via USB if you have rechargeable batteries, or do you need a seperate charger for that?

I ordered mine from GAME, hopefully it'll be here next month on the 16th. Looking forward to trying it out, and sadly enough I've been putting off playing many PC games until it's out LOL

I'm going to try a Dishonored replay with it, and I'm looking forward to testing it out on Dragon Age 2 and stuff.

belmonkey

That motion controlled input seems pretty cool; emulating a Wii-mote shake for Dolphin seems like one of the obvious things to do with it, other than maybe steering in general. Dunno what else could potentially be good to use it for though.

Interfectum

I ordered mine from GAME, hopefully it'll be here next month on the 16th. Looking forward to trying it out, and sadly enough I've been putting off playing many PC games until it's out LOL

I'm in the same boat. I'm putting PC gaming on hold until the controller + link come out. I got MGS5 for PS4 to tide me over. If the Steam hardware works as I imagine the PS4 could become a dust collector very soon.

That motion controlled input seems pretty cool; emulating a Wii-mote shake for Dolphin seems like one of the obvious things to do with it, other than maybe steering in general. Dunno what else could potentially be good to use it for though.

Accurate gyro aiming in shooters of course.

Is there a way to check if I'll be getting my controller early? I ordered close to the line and I can't remember the cutoff date.

Where did you order it? If on Steam, people were able to check it in...account history I think? The one where your purchases are listed. If from a retailer, I don't know. On Steam the stock ran out around June 29.

My home setup is perfect for Steam Link: Dedicated gaming PC in my room, fully wired 1Gbps home network, a TV and a 5.1 surround A/V in the living room. Can't wait for Steam Link. Will get it fo sho. :D

Mister D

When can I order one of these shits off Amazon so that sweet, sweet Prime shipping will have it to me in a day or two?

When can I order one of these shits off Amazon so that sweet, sweet Prime shipping will have it to me in a day or two?
You can't, they're not out yet :/

Also I'm not sure if they'll be sold on Amazon. So far they've only been for sale from Valve themselves and a few games stores in different regions.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I wonder if I can still preorder this at GameStop? I'd like a dedicated PC controller so I don't have to keep using my X1 controller.

Bit-Bit

Can you set up the controller to say, shake to reload? That was one of the best things about shooters on the Wii.

Jeremy

So how is this thing with mouse and keyboard games? I never understood if this was attempting to solve that for people who enjoy controller gaming.

Can you set up the controller to say, shake to reload? That was one of the best things about shooters on the Wii.

I don't see why not. We have yet to see its config page though, since according to that tester it's not been enabled yet software wise. It also wasn't enabled in the older version, so Krejlooc also hasn't tried it, but said you can configure it.

XDvlU8t.jpg

One thing everyone seems to miss? See the gyration logo in the middle of the screen? These things have imus inside. You know the motion control fine tune controls in stuff like splatoon or uncharted? You can make every game have those if you want.

The only question that I have that no-one seems to know is if the controller will charge rechargeable batteries if plugged in via the micro USB port to power.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
So how is this thing with mouse and keyboard games? I never understood if this was attempting to solve that for people who enjoy controller gaming.

Well the idea was to bridge the gap between KB+M and controller. I'm hoping they were at least somewhat successful. If so - I will be a happy man with my pre-order.

ricki42

that the controller doesnt work for smaller lady like hands

This is actually my main concern with this, I have rather small hands. I just hope that the trackpads are reachable and I can configure the rest to void the face buttons, at least X and A.

Layell

I am really hoping this controller ushers in the death of dual analogue controllers. Absolutely cannot wait for my pre-order to come in. I think the first thing I'll do is figure out a great control scheme for Age of Empires II then go to town.

timmyp53

I am really hoping this controller ushers in the death of dual analogue controllers. Absolutely cannot wait for my pre-order to come in. I think the first thing I'll do is figure out a great control scheme for Age of Empires II then go to town.

It won't.

Hyped about Steam Link having Wireless AC, cant wait. Just hoping that its not ridiculously locked down and someone manages to get Playstation DS3 and DS4 working on it, thing already has Bluetooth so we wouldn't even need a dongle.

Anyone knows if a wireless 360 controller acts as a wired controller by just adding one of those USB charging cables you connect to the top of the 360 controller???

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So the link has a step controller receiver built in, and the controller comes with a USB receiver. If I plug the USB receiver into my gaming PC is it easy to move my controller between PC and link?

Still in two minds on this although I have a oreorder for October - it's around £100 for both link and controller and if Xbox one gets streaming from PC in the near future then I wouldn't really need a link

To those that have used the controller is it a suitable replacement for the xbox controller for PC? I need a new xbox controller but wondering whether I should just wait for this instead.

Nzyme32

Took me a while to realize that the weirdness on the handle bars is a reflection of the surroundings.

Anyway...

5enmdqg.gif

That, and it is shaped very differently to traditional controllers. The handles go upwards rather than downwards, in order to raise your hands a little and position them so you are using more of the tips of your thumbs for the pads rather than completely flat.

7svnGRb.jpg

That also leads to it being held differently, so much so that even the triggers and shoulder buttons are at a different angle

f96iVN1.jpg

Cartman86

Banned
Hyped about Steam Link having Wireless AC, cant wait. Just hoping that its not ridiculously locked down and someone manages to get Playstation DS3 and DS4 working on it, thing already has Bluetooth so we wouldn't even need a dongle.

Anyone knows if a wireless 360 controller acts as a wired controller by just adding one of those USB charging cables you connect to the top of the 360 controller???

It doesn't unfortunately. Xbox One does.

Rektash

I won't comment on the functionality as I haven't tested it but:

Calling this thing ugly is an understatement. It easily rivals some of the ugliest input devices I have ever seen.

The boombox look combined with the top somehow got cut off-top line and concave smashed in face-appeal makes every fiber of my body reject this abomination.

I might be overexaggerating a bit here but damn, this thing is hideous.

Nzyme32

I won't comment on the functionality as I haven't tested it but:

Calling this thing ugly is an understatement. It easily rivals some of the ugliest input devices I have ever seen.

The boombox look combined with the top somehow got cut off-top line and concave smashed in face-appeal makes every fiber of my body reject this abomination.

I might be overexaggerating a bit here but damn, this thing is hideous.

I've always thought the opposite of this design. I'm perfectly happy with how it looks and it's curvature - but whether it is comfortable is an entirely different matter. The 3D printed early prototypes certainly don't look great, but then again they were 3D printed prototypes so I don't really know what I was expecting

Unai

It won't.

The good thing is: it doesn't need to! Thanks to legacy support we can have a good controller with mouse-like aiming forever, even if it flops hard.

Will it be possible to use a web browser with SL? Or will it just be games?

Yes. You can even open multimedia applications. Just add them as a non steam game.

Gojeran

Super interested in this controller. Will wait to buy one depending on early adopter feedback. Hopefully valve knocks it out of the park.

Waveset

That's the first I've heard of the Link being locked down. Shame, I was hoping it would be opened up by 3rd parties and not 100% reliant on streaming from a PC
I suppose popularity and strength of security will decide if it ever gets expanded functionality.
Oh, and the ability to use a DS4.

mr stroke

Well the idea was to bridge the gap between KB+M and controller. I'm hoping they were at least somewhat successful. If so - I will be a happy man with my pre-order.

So your saying it would be possible to play DOTA and Starcraft with just a controller ?

waiting for the Cheetos discoloration test. anyone going to think of the children?!

Ugh Cheetos. I've never allowed anyone to touch my controller with their nasty ass Cheetos or Doritos paws.

I can only imagine what happens to Xbox 360 controllers that come in contact with Cheetos grease.

The Cowboy

Hmm, the controller looks a lot bigger than i was expecting and i really don't like the idea of having to stretch to reach the buttons - i might cancel my pre-order and wait until i can actually try before i buy. As far as I'm concerned the Xbox One pad is perfect in terms of size, if the Steam controller is bigger and chunkier that an XBO pad - then for me that's a big negative for me.

Grief.exe

The only thing turning me off from the Link is it isn't 4K compatible. It's cheap, but it's not future proof.

I might just grab an HTPC case and convert my current build that direction when I upgrade.

Hmm, the controller looks a lot bigger than i was expecting and i really don't like the idea of having to stretch to reach the buttons - i might cancel my pre-order and wait until i can actually try before i buy. As far as I'm concerned the Xbox One pad is perfect in terms of size, if the Steam controller is bigger and chunkier that an XBO pad - then for me that's a big negative for me.

The whole point is not removing your thumbs from the haptic pads, instead using the triggers on top and bottom of the controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom