• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Sophia

Has anybody gotten to try PUBG with the Steam Controller? I heard they added controller support recently, and I was wondering if hybrid inputs were possible in that game. Would definitely encourage me to finally jump on-board, as the game's caught my interest for a good while.

Also, I'm surprised at how much vertical sens scaling can help out, at least with trackpad aiming. I used to have a hard time hitting Genjis and Pharahs in Overwatch, but lowering the setting by five ticks fixed my troubles. I try to avoid using the advanced options, but in this case, I think you get more than enough room on the pad vertically than you do horizontally, so lowering its scope helps even it out.

I made my configuration before PUBG added controller support, but I will say that it works extremely well with it. I can, and have, won games using it.

Here's some shots of my current setup.

steam_2017-09-06_13-2vgk5n.png
steam_2017-09-06_13-26mkny.png
steam_2017-09-06_13-25ujlc.png

Nymerio

Could an intermittently unresponsive touch pad simply be caused by residue left by greasy fingers? This is something you'll see on laptop touch pads and it may not be easy to see. Wash your hands after eating those ribs, people!

Could be, but I'm sure that's not what's wrong in my case. I don't touch my hardware with greasy fingers and I actually paid extra attention to it the last couple of times I've used the controller. It's also usually that it's just not registering when I'm touching the pad with the tips of my fingers, if I touch with more of my thumb it works better. It usually works after I rub my fingers against each other to kind of warm them up, could also be that the controller just needs some time to fully come online. Dunno though, it's weird. And it has actually happened when I didn't have to wake the controller from standby.

I made my configuration before PUBG added controller support, but I will say that it works extremely well with it. I can, and have, won games using it.

Here's some shots of my current setup.

They should bring some of the controller stuff to steam in general. The ability to add some kind of radial menu thing to any game sounds really nice.

Nabs

New Beta, New Feature: Action Set Layers

• Added Action Set Layers feature
    • Action Sets can now have layers nested within them. These act like Photoshop Layers on an image. Layers allow for quick modifications both big and small of an existing action set.
    • Each layer can draw from the actions that are defined by that action set.
    • Layers can be stacked arbitrarily deep.
    • Each layer can modify settings or replace modes/bindings of the action set or layers below it in the stack.
    • Changes made to the base Action Set are treated as the "default" for a layer, so modifications to a setting of the Action Set will be reflected in the layer unless it specifically modifies that setting itself. Settings within the layer that are "reset to default" will use the setting of the base action set.
    • Action Set Layers will be available as an option to developers creating Native Steam Input API games in a future SDK.
  • Transitions across action sets, layers, and mode shifts will now maintain state if applicable. As an example, if the same action/output is bound across the boundaries of these sets, rather than being un-pressed and immediately pressed on this transition, it will continue to be held if bound to a pressed button in both sets.
  • Activators which have matching Activators across action set/layer/mode shift boundaries will also carry over state, so if the same activator exists across these boundaries, a "long press" which has been pressed but not yet activated will maintain timing information. Likewise, if an output is already active coming from a previous set, a long press/double press/start press etc. which would fire the same output won't be restarted across those boundaries.

joeblow

Anyone here want to make some $$$?

I'll PayPal $10 to whoever can help me get the Steam Controller's d-pad and buttons to fully work with Streets of Rage: Remake. Don't worry about the crappy d-pad as I'll switch to its emulation on a PS4 controller once it works.

I've added the game to Steam long ago, and it works fine with pure PS4 controller program. However, I would like to only use Steam's controller interface now, and SoR:R is the only game I can't get to work.

It initially recognizes the 'A' button, and I can move the cursor with the analog stick (only - not the dpad) to enter into in-game menus, and I can back out because Start works like the ESC key.

However, once I start the game, the entire controller will not work on the character selection screen except for the Start button to back out. The game flashes "controller not found"on the screen at that point.

I've been trying for almost a year to get it to work, off and on. Thanks in advance to anyone who can figure it out. You may have to give detailed instructions as I don't know all of the functions of the SC off the top of my head.

Soodanim

New Beta, New Feature: Action Set Layers

• Added Action Set Layers feature
    • Action Sets can now have layers nested within them. These act like Photoshop Layers on an image. Layers allow for quick modifications both big and small of an existing action set.
    • Each layer can draw from the actions that are defined by that action set.
    • Layers can be stacked arbitrarily deep.
    • Each layer can modify settings or replace modes/bindings of the action set or layers below it in the stack.
    • Changes made to the base Action Set are treated as the "default" for a layer, so modifications to a setting of the Action Set will be reflected in the layer unless it specifically modifies that setting itself. Settings within the layer that are "reset to default" will use the setting of the base action set.
    • Action Set Layers will be available as an option to developers creating Native Steam Input API games in a future SDK.
  • Transitions across action sets, layers, and mode shifts will now maintain state if applicable. As an example, if the same action/output is bound across the boundaries of these sets, rather than being un-pressed and immediately pressed on this transition, it will continue to be held if bound to a pressed button in both sets.
  • Activators which have matching Activators across action set/layer/mode shift boundaries will also carry over state, so if the same activator exists across these boundaries, a "long press" which has been pressed but not yet activated will maintain timing information. Likewise, if an output is already active coming from a previous set, a long press/double press/start press etc. which would fire the same output won't be restarted across those boundaries.
I'm really interested by this, but I need to understand it first. My first guess is that it's good for things like long presses within single presses, which I don't think I could get working before.

Don't really have anything useful to add to any discussions, but I just wanted to pop in this thread and say that I absolutely fucking love my steam controller. Gyro aiming with this thing is a game changer. I love to lounge around and still be able to compete in shooters. Most of the time still managing to outplay pretty much everyone. I feel like if I had as much experience with gyro aiming that I do with mouse aiming, there would be no discernible skill gap.

It feels so weird to be able to play UT99 (which is my favorite multiplayer game ever, and a game that I never would have thought possible to play with a controller) and totally wreck shit with this thing.

I can, and have, won games using it.
I believe it! Though does PUBG have prompt switching, or does it disable mixed inputs altogether? I find it really hard to give up analog movement anymore, and I don't mind prompt switching as long as it's not the obnoxious flickering type.

It feels so weird to be able to play UT99 (which is my favorite multiplayer game ever, and a game that I never would have thought possible to play with a controller) and totally wreck shit with this thing.
This post makes me want to hook up older Quake MP to BPM and start joining servers with my SC. I've been holding off for way too long, haha.

Nabs

The new Beta patch fixes the bugs that came with the last big patch. Time to figure out this layers stuff.

If anyone likes using their controllers with Origin and Uplay games, definitely give this a look https://github.com/WombatFromHell/OriginSteamOverlayLauncher/releases / Instructions here.

I think it can retain both Origin and Steam overlays, and it'll shut down Origin when you're done playing. I was able to use it with a Uplay game by adding upc.exe when asked.

Sophia

I believe it! Though does PUBG have prompt switching, or does it disable mixed inputs altogether? I find it really hard to give up analog movement anymore, and I don't mind prompt switching as long as it's not the obnoxious flickering type.

I have no idea. I've never tried it. >_>;

The nature of the game is that analog movement isn't a big deal compared to say... Overwatch where you're constantly moving.

EDIT: I went in to test the Steam Controller. I came out a top ten winner.

I couldn't figure out how to enable the controller inputs anywhere within PUBG tho. *shrugs*

Soodanim

I understand action layers a bit now. They are an easier to manage Mode Shift. So instead of setting up a mode shift for several different buttons and sticks, create an Action Later and then on the chosen trigger key(s) for that Action Later, go into legacy keys (that shows the keyboard and controller) you'll see the new button across the top row that lets you control the Action Layer (press, release, hold).

In other words, instead of setting up multiple Mode Shifts within different keys and linking them all back to the trigger key, then diving into each input's menu each time you want to modify anything, you simply create an action layer and set the one input as its trigger, then do any modifications to the keys in the Action Layer's display. It will be much easier to observe things when previewing SC configs, and more complex than that devs will be able to set up Action Layers for individual weapons/vehicles in future, should they choose.

joeblow

I figured out a solution. Once I disabled PS4 controller support universally in Big Picture Mode, my DS4 that was previously hooked up wirelessly to my PC via Bluetooth and paired with Steam was be fully detected by Windows 7 as a controller.

Before W7 could see it, but I could never get its inputs to really work outside of Steam. I can now launch Streets of Rage Remake via Steam (both in and out of BPM) and it works perfectly via Bluetooth or cable connection. I finally can play my all-time favorite game solely through Steam and no other controller mapping program. :)

On another note, I've been trying to set up the same DS4 controller to work with The Witcher 3 in a way that makes the game use the Playstation button icons. It defaults to Steam/XBox buttons unless I disable Playstation controller support in BPM as well as connect the controller to a cable and computer.

Using Bluetooth turns off the Playstation icons, but connecting it to a cable with PS configuration disabled in BPM causes Windows to lose permanently lose the Bluetooth connection to the wireless controller in the Devices section. I have to delete the controller from the list and have Bluetooth search and discover it again to reconnect. I wish there was an easier way to get this stuff to work with Steam..

I finally got to play around with action layers (and action sets as a whole. to be honest), and I'm impressed! This really gets around a lot of the issues I had with mode shifting. I never really tried doing more than what I initally could with the Steam Controller, but I'm glad I set aside some time today. I've planned on finishing Resident Evil 4 this October, so I decided to see if there was anything more I could do with a configuration for my SC. I recalled it locking you to either KB+M or gamepad, but only simultaneously. So I wanted to see if I could implement active shifting between both inputs, so the player could get gamepad prompts for QTEs, and mouse aim for combat. The results surpassed my expectations!

jqeW1nD.png

The Default set is a traditional gamepad setup. Resident Evil 4's pace is designed around heavy use of the face buttons, so I personally didn't map any grip shortcuts here. The only difference is that the left trigger, left bumper and right trackpad, rather than initiating their inputs, will apply one of two possible action layers to the current setup. These layers don't change too much, but serve as a jump-off point for the controller.

wTGMCIB.png

KaDu1z1.png

The Aim Ready layer is applied upon touching the right trackpad. A little bonus that comes with this setup is that it allows use of the 1:1 camera the right stick provides when playing with a controller, which I found much better than the mouse camera controls. Similarly, the Early Aim is applied upon pressing the left trigger or left bumper. These layers are mainly meant to preserve the base inputs. If I had all three inputs hop over to an action set for aiming, they would be unusable during QTEs, in menus, etc. Releasing their activators resets the controller back to Default.

XvY1fZT.png

Last up is the Aiming set. The two layers on the Default set hop to this one if the opposite input is pressed (LT+LB <-> RP). Initially, I was worried of stutter when coming from the Early Aim layer (which trades gamepad input for mouse input), but surprisingly, Leon keeps his sights up! I'm assuming some games will act different towards this sort of thing, but the fact that one game manages to play fluidly with this setup is a great sign. So I only bound the keys the player needs when aiming their sights. I also threw in a shortcut for reload on the right bumper (which is why the Early Aim layer has RB mapped to A momentarily, in case you were wondering), so the player can keep their thumb handy on the trackpad.

Cu5Ebhi.png

This might be a bit to take in, and I'm also not the best at explaining things, so I made a little visual to condense the idea. The bindings start at Default, and the controller hops to the listed layers and sets when the corresponding input is pressed. These bindings are centered around trackpad usage, so they're not gyro-friendly as-is, but I don't think it'd take much to amend that. I'm also curious to see if a similar setup could be figured out for the DS4, but only slightly. I don't know if I'd ever make time to explore it.

Before this, I hadn't touched mine in about a month. I'll admit I've been bummed with it, after trying it out with two older titles, and running into compatibility issues. However, I'm glad I played with it a bit today! I'm definitely going to use it more this month, primarily because it's about time I finished RE4, but also to make sure that these bindings are consistent throughout the game. Action layers are such a recent update, too. It shows some interest on Valve's part to continue supporting the device, and I'm glad to see it.

Nzyme32

Hi Guys and Gals,

Just wanted to mention I'll be remaking the thread over on Era once I'm over the junior period in a couple of months.

Hope to see you there!

AntsaK2

Neo Member
I was testing Dualshock 4 to see how it would compare to steam controller. Unfortunately gyroscope won't work when I connect it to my PC with Bluetooth. Can anyone confirm that it works with the Sony PC adapter?

I'm using steam with this setup.

Toe-Knee

In relatively new to the steam controller and have been playing the evil within with the mouse on the right pad and gyro.

Is it possible to make it so it doesn't switch to keyboard prompts without switching to mouse like joystick?

Thanks

x7007

Neo Member
Hey , does Steam Controller Profile still work ? because it only says Connecting to steam . Was something else released that we can download profiles with ?

Top Bottom